Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Andre won it, DiBiase bought it, which was the reason given.

Andre won the belt, then said "I surrender the title to Ted DiBiase", and later Jack Tunney said that by surrendering the title meant Andre was no longer champion.

If only DiBiase had thought to "beat" Andre in a subsequent match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i always wondered why wwf didn't bring in jack tunney's children for at least a short storyline. But he was the last of his line. no more tunney honey. now to my question. does his cousin ed tunney have children? I don't care, but this is a thread for asking questions only.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
When did Sweet Chin Music (HBK's heavily protected move) turn into ajust a transitional move (Superkick) I'm guessing maybe it has to do with Young Bucks doing it? Was anyone in Japan doing superkicks back then?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hirez posted:

When did Sweet Chin Music (HBK's heavily protected move) turn into a transitional Superkick. I'm guessing maybe it has to do with Young Bucks doing it? Was anyone in Japan doing superkicks back then?

people did superkicks all the time in the US in the 80s and 90s (the wild samoans come to mind first)

shawn michaels himself used the superkick as a transitional move all the time before it became his finisher

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was Haku's finisher before Shawn started using it (most memorably he accidentally knocked out Andre with it at Wrestlemania 6)

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

ahh, thats why I ask.

I guess more general, what other finishers turned into just standard moves (or vice-versa). Things like The People's Elbow - was this a rib on Hogans Legdrop? Or Moonsaults won't win a watch these days unless you spin 900 times like Pac

Everyone does cutters, but no one wins with them cept Randy. Frog Splash power depends on how closely blood related they are to Eddie. The DDT was death for jake, now you have Tornado DDT's and they just go unphased :shrug:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I might have asked this before but I can't remember the answer.
Mark Henry is strong AF, we know this. But did he ever do actual power moves? Did he ever lift his opponent over his head even? My memories of Mark Henry involve the WSS and him just kinda meandering around the ring slowly trucking people.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

DeathChicken posted:

It was Haku's finisher before Shawn started using it (most memorably he accidentally knocked out Andre with it at Wrestlemania 6)

I loving love Meng -- I love that Goon story about a wedding where some grandma was friends with like the Rock so everyone was talking to her about the Rock, then it turned out she was like Meng's best friend and no one had any idea who he was cept the goon (or something like that)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

one of mark henry's signature moves was a military press 'drop', leaving the opponents behind him before taking a couple of steps forward. i can't prove it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Hirez posted:

ahh, thats why I ask.

I guess more general, what other finishers turned into just standard moves (or vice-versa). Things like The People's Elbow - was this a rib on Hogans Legdrop? Or Moonsaults won't win a watch these days unless you spin 900 times like Pac

Everyone does cutters, but no one wins with them cept Randy. Frog Splash power depends on how closely blood related they are to Eddie. The DDT was death for jake, now you have Tornado DDT's and they just go unphased :shrug:

The People's Elbow wasn't a finisher, it was Rock's taunt after he already hit the Rock Bottom

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

ahh, thats why I ask.

People even kicked out of Jake's DDT so it's not like it was always death.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and don't even get me started on how many people kick out of backslides

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Are you retconning Ted Dibiase by Hundo Supreme's rules, scaled up?

name drop that fool again and im sending the dockmaster after you.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alaois posted:

and don't even get me started on how many people kick out of backslides

Bob Backlund won matches with the atomic drop (including the WWWF title)

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
all wrestling moves have the potential to be finishers, or just transitional moves, depending on who does them

fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but fear the man who has practiced the superkick 10,000 times

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The Falcon Arrow will never be a transisitional move, because nobody can kick out of it

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

MassRafTer posted:

People even kicked out of Jake's DDT so it's not like it was always death.

But Jake said what made his DDT different from the others is that people don't get up.

I trusted him...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Someone should use the Irish Whip as their finisher

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I'm kind of curious about who had the most mundane move as a finisher in the modern era of wrestling. Chris Masters, maybe?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Zombie Lemur posted:

I'm kind of curious about who had the most mundane move as a finisher in the modern era of wrestling. Chris Masters, maybe?

Do punches and/or back elbows count?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's gotta be the KO punch

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Andrast posted:

Someone should use the Irish Whip as their finisher

the irish whip started as a finisher by Danny O'Mahoney and it was kinda like a fake ogoshi judo throw

https://twitter.com/CatchWrestling/status/943888532828979200

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Do punches and/or back elbows count?

I guess it depends on how it looks. Strikes can be pretty nasty.

I really just want to see someone terrorizing people with an abdominal stretch I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

I really just want to see someone terrorizing people with an abdominal stretch I guess.

i mean as i vaguely alluded to before, Genki Horiguchi has used a backslide as his finisher for nearly 20 years at this point

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Alaois posted:

i mean as i vaguely alluded to before, Genki Horiguchi has used a backslide as his finisher for nearly 20 years at this point

I feel like I remember someone using a victory roll as a finisher back in the 90's but I couldn't tell you who it was.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Hirez posted:

When did Sweet Chin Music (HBK's heavily protected move) turn into ajust a transitional move (Superkick) I'm guessing maybe it has to do with Young Bucks doing it? Was anyone in Japan doing superkicks back then?

Guys in the late 90s/early 00s were all spamming superkicks. Glacier, Saturn, Lance Storm, Shane Helms, Chavo Guerrero, Justin Credible, Ernest Miller, Chris Adams, Stevie Richards, Booker T.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

haku was technically doing a savate kick. some other wrestlers also did it but were trying to do a superkick. he was just trying to do his savate kick. superkick needs to go from that into finishing with backward force. it's hard to explain for a dumbass piece of poo poo like me. i want to be clear that i'm saying it's hard for me to explain it, not that it's hard to explain TO a dumbass piece of poo poo. no one here is that except me.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 12, 2022

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Ten years and a day ago today a Ripcord Lariat wouldn’t have been a particularly significant move: then the Rainmaker Shock happened and suddenly it becomes the Rainmaker: the feared finished of Kazuchika Okada. Doesn’t take much to make any old move a finisher in the right hands.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Related: At the 20 min mark of Paul Heyman on Stone Cold’s show they talk about selling and finishers and Heyman explains how you could get even something as basic as a headlock over as a killer finishing move https://youtu.be/CSSbMjj5648

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Alaois posted:

the irish whip started as a finisher by Danny O'Mahoney and it was kinda like a fake ogoshi judo throw

https://twitter.com/CatchWrestling/status/943888532828979200

That actually looks like a whipping motion too

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Andre won the belt, then said "I surrender the title to Ted DiBiase", and later Jack Tunney said that by surrendering the title meant Andre was no longer champion.

If only DiBiase had thought to "beat" Andre in a subsequent match.

We could have had something like the Fingerpoke of Doom only it could have been in the service of telling a decent story.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Benne posted:

The People's Elbow wasn't a finisher, it was Rock's taunt after he already hit the Rock Bottom

and really its just a version of Mutas flashing elbow with more theatrica

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Zombie Lemur posted:

Big Show's punch to the jaw.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Even though it's common place I love seeing a huge dude use a powerbomb as a finisher.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zombie Lemur posted:

Does anyone still do the Heart Punch?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Stunner has been brought back, I need the Legdrop of Doom to come back too.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Zombie Lemur posted:

She wins so rarely I could hardly call it "terrorizing", but TJPW's Moka Miyamoto has won a few matches with a variation on the abdominal stretch.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

The Stunner has been brought back, I need the Legdrop of Doom to come back too.

eh, iirc leg drops gently caress up your knees pretty badly, which is why Hogan hosed up his knees in spite of doing bugger-all athletically for most of his matches

then again, iirc Kobashi kept doing leg drops even after he stopped doing the moonsault regularly, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Venomous posted:

eh, iirc leg drops gently caress up your knees pretty badly, which is why Hogan hosed up his knees in spite of doing bugger-all athletically for most of his matches

then again, iirc Kobashi kept doing leg drops even after he stopped doing the moonsault regularly, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think legdrops are more a hip killer than a knee killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ah, that's it, I meant hips not knees lmao