Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Alright, we’re really shifting gears to a different topic here

We need a sequential segway to the next discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks more like a continuously variable discussion to me, someone needs to reduce the ratio of signal to noise and finally drive this poo poo into the ground

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/alexandria-honda-nsf250/7434775710.html

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

hoho`win posted:

Cheap ZRXs are proof that god loves us:

Hmm... I have been looking for a potential highway bike...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/vancouver-downtown-west-end/aprilia-tuono-1000r/1603035511
So this guy has been relisting his Tuono all winter. Dropped the price some too, and $5500 is very tempting.
Kinda ticks all the boxes. No ABS, but I've never had a bike with ABS, so...
Someone validate my potential poor life choices.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Buy buy buy!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Finger Prince posted:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/vancouver-downtown-west-end/aprilia-tuono-1000r/1603035511
So this guy has been relisting his Tuono all winter. Dropped the price some too, and $5500 is very tempting.
Kinda ticks all the boxes. No ABS, but I've never had a bike with ABS, so...
Someone validate my potential poor life choices.

they're either great or a nuisance, but if it's unmolested and mostly stock aside from farkles i'd say you can buy assured. my first '03 tuono lasted 60k miles before i wadded it into an f150 with only 1 major service (when i first got it i believed the PO when he said the battery was good when it was not and it shredded the starter clutch after multiple hard starts)

my replacement tuono is an 03 but the PO did a bunch of retarded things to it and now it has to idle at 1.5k-2k or it stalls/misses in idle a lot. it only has 6k miles but it runs a lot worse than my old one, but we'll see how long it lasts. either way after 2 of these i think my love story with the old rotax tuonos is over. parts are getting too hard to find (esp with covid loving italy in the rear end)

OmniumOccidental
Feb 27, 2021

Razzled posted:

they're either great or a nuisance, but if it's unmolested and mostly stock aside from farkles i'd say you can buy assured. my first '03 tuono lasted 60k miles before i wadded it into an f150 with only 1 major service (when i first got it i believed the PO when he said the battery was good when it was not and it shredded the starter clutch after multiple hard starts)

my replacement tuono is an 03 but the PO did a bunch of retarded things to it and now it has to idle at 1.5k-2k or it stalls/misses in idle a lot. it only has 6k miles but it runs a lot worse than my old one, but we'll see how long it lasts. either way after 2 of these i think my love story with the old rotax tuonos is over. parts are getting too hard to find (esp with covid loving italy in the rear end)

My rotax aprilia Falco of the same gen has been nothing but reliable.

As far as parts, what are you n needing that isn't on eBay, AF1, or readily available from other makes that used the same engine?

Idk sounds like your bike's PO hosed it up and that isn't the fault of the bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fffffff
1987 Honda CBR400RR Nc23
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/mcy/d/tsawwassen-1987-honda-cbr400rr-nc23/7432349335.html

I wouldn't fit. I might fit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had one of these, if you aren't 7 foot or a fat gently caress you'll fit just fine, they're about the size of a first gen r6.

Much, much better than a cbr250

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

OmniumOccidental posted:

My rotax aprilia Falco of the same gen has been nothing but reliable.

As far as parts, what are you n needing that isn't on eBay, AF1, or readily available from other makes that used the same engine?

Idk sounds like your bike's PO hosed it up and that isn't the fault of the bike.

The fuel pump harness broke in the epoxy pot and took a month to get a new one. Radiator thermo fan relays were back ordered so my mechanic put the fans on a switch instead. Gas tanks don’t get made anymore so can’t color match the damaged paint from PO crashing it etc etc the list goes on

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

One of the directors at my job bought an air-cooled hypermotard from 2011 I think. I'm waiting for him to get bored of it :getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

One of the directors at my job bought an air-cooled hypermotard from 2011 I think. I'm waiting for him to get bored of it :getin:

He will crash it and find it's impossible to repair

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

He will crash it and find it's impossible to repair

He also has a 1200GS and a SV650SF in the garage. I assume it'll just not get ridden.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 9, 2022

OmniumOccidental
Feb 27, 2021

Razzled posted:

The fuel pump harness broke in the epoxy pot and took a month to get a new one. Radiator thermo fan relays were back ordered so my mechanic put the fans on a switch instead. Gas tanks don’t get made anymore so can’t color match the damaged paint from PO crashing it etc etc the list goes on

https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Aprilia-Coolant-Temperature-Switch-8112939

https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Aprilia-Fuel-Pump-Wiring-AP8127321

Both are available from AF1 available to ship from Texas within 5-7 days. Also radiator fans on your model are controlled by the ECU and problems are usually the fault of a blown fuse.

You can easily get a new carbon tank for your bike, several passionate companies still make them.

On the other hand, I can't get a new gas tank for my Superhawk, does make Honda parts availability bad? It's an early 2000's bike what are you expecting there?

I would get a new mechanic and browse AF1 if you ever have issues with an APRILIA like this in the future.

The rotax is pretty much bulletproof, but not immune to PO fuckery and incompetent mechanics.

OmniumOccidental fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 9, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I need a sanity check because for 3 nights in a row now I've looked at this thing, decided to let it go, and find myself not letting it go.

Pro:
-S.O. has been enjoying riding pillion, but a 200cc vanvan is very much not up to the task between brakes and suspension. This opens up some nice weekend options.
-The price is exactly where I need it to be for a 2nd bike I do not need
-The ad passes the sniff test of a responsible owner who maybe doesn't know the post-covid market (though I guess it's lasted a few days now)
-In addition to being a capable tourer I suspect this would also be the sportiest thing I ever owned by a longshot (vs. a '98 Suzuki GS500e with progressive springs :imunfunny:)
-I think maybe I could ride this, experience another bike and sell it later without significant loss.

Con:
-It's doomed to occasional weekend use, my commute is like 5 miles which is squarely in the vanvan's wheelhouse
-I have no garage, so my capacity for any involved mechanical work is limited.
-My mechanical experience is limited to two air-cooled and simple bikes
-It's 20 years old and from what I gather fully-faired tourers are a pain in the rear end to work on in general

Someone please help me let it go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get it and a really good cover

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Look at that windshield. It was definitely owned by a responsible dadbike enthusiast.

Also if you’re coming from a 200cc vanvan, that thing will feel like being fired out of a cannon.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Windshield looking like Flo Jo's fingernails

JSB is right windshield height has a direct correlation to how much time has been spent rivet counting. FJR1300 is a solid bike and they are huge on value. Those things were ~$17k new.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

YES TAKE IT NOW

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

God dammit, true to craigslist form, I got myself excited, texted this morning with offer to check it out cash in hand and asked if any mechanical issues to be aware of, and got this:

PO posted:

Hi Remy. Unfortunately a mechanical issue has just developed. Someone took it for a test ride and came back with leaking front brake caliper. Probably because not being ridden. SB Motors quoted $500 for repair. I will discount $800 as is.

Leaking calipers doesn't seem like a disuse problem so much as an "old parts giving out" problem, right? On the one hand it's dirt cheap at this point, on the other I'm a concerned by this dad's failure to actually ride the bike and check it out before selling and his taste in mechanics to do service. I might be able to let it go.

But like $2k

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Isn't that, like, any Craigslist sale, though? I went to check out an old FJR1200 from the eighties or early nineties once, and when I got there the cylinders ended up getting hydrolocked with fuel from him trying to start it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Leaking calipers means the rubber seals went, which means its been sitting a while.

Caliper seals arent a terrible fix to have to do, and if he's going to knock off $800 entire earth dollars, that seems pretty OK in my book

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Buy it and put a large array of mirrors around that rad dad wind screen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A caliper seal kit and a bottle of brake fluid are less than $100.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Caliper seals is an easy 1 afternoon job. *

* Aside from stuck bolts, and PO fun.

It's a new bike for you so I'd do a full service on it anyway unless documented from an reputable shop.
Change all fluids, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, fork oil, tires if older than 3 years. While doing that you will get to know your bike and you'll most likely run into PO fuckery. Check service interval for valves check Vs mileage.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

All my wrenching is in the street so some items might require shop visits (fork oil, and I'm not sure about full brake fluid replacement yet I've only ever bled them to cycle out the old stuff). What's the deal with valve adjustments, like if they're due/overdue what am I looking at? I did shim-type adjustment years ago on the gs500 and all I remember is it was a hassle, and I think that might've been easy mode.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 11, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Looks like it's every 24k miles/40k km on that model.
As I do all the wrenching I can myself one of the first things I do on a possible new bike is Google the service and owners manuals, and see if aftermarket Haynes etc exists.
Some light googling on that model reveals a supplementary manual which raises the flag of " something was bad enough/needed more info that a supplementary manual was warranted, why? Google for known errors, special wear items, hidden pitfalls of that model.

Main manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/835263/Yamaha-Fjr1300r.html

Supplementary
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/844111/Yamaha-2003-Fjr1300.html

Oh, and also verify what year the bike actually is. I've ran into 1992 models first registered in 1994 and similar.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That supplementary manual is for the ABS system and other minor changes, which would've debuted at a model refresh. Totally normal and not indicative of anything untoward.

Checking clearances on an fjr is fairly straightforward, it's an old fashioned engine with generous proportions. Taking all the bodywork off to get in there is time and space consuming.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks for all the info. I've set up a time to check it out tomorrow and will research as much as I can tonight. The thought of this as a project is increasingly appealing, but I can't tell how much of that is the idea of getting something awesome on the cheap. Property management already warned me once for using my carport for repairs, but I'm thinking in the street I can probably stuff the bodywork into my car as needed.

e;vvvvv That's on me, I signed a lease that was explicit about it, I think it might be pretty standard for big apartment complexes. What sucks is I got away with it for years but my daughter was playing music ONCE while I was changing her brakes and the office manager drove by. One warning on record, so now if they catch me again I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 12, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

Thanks for all the info. I've set up a time to check it out tomorrow and will research as much as I can tonight. The thought of this as a project is increasingly appealing, but I can't tell how much of that is the idea of getting something awesome on the cheap. Property management already warned me once for using my carport for repairs, but I'm thinking in the street I can probably stuff the bodywork into my car as needed.

:psyduck: shoot the landlords

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Some 1st gen FJRs had a problem with the valves that was usually identified by ticking after the bike warmed up. If that one's made it 20 years it's probably fine, but something to listen for.

Brake chat: IIRC that gen bike didn't come with ABS by default - if it has ABS, the piston covers or whatever these circles are on the exterior side of the calipers will be blue instead of silver, like so (plus there'll obviously be an ABS ring on the rotor):

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Wikipedia suggests the blue ones are the non-ABS. According to that, what this guy's calling a 2002 is actually a 2003 model year and won't have ABS.

I shouldn't have read that article now I just want to limp it home and figure out if I'm in over my head with it later.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looking to see if it has abs sensor rings and sensors is the easiest way to tell.

Blue dots are known for leaking when they get old and tired but they're also among the best conventional mount calipers out there. It's worth the sacrifice imo.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

All my wrenching is in the street so some items might require shop visits (fork oil, and I'm not sure about full brake fluid replacement yet I've only ever bled them to cycle out the old stuff). What's the deal with valve adjustments, like if they're due/overdue what am I looking at? I did shim-type adjustment years ago on the gs500 and all I remember is it was a hassle, and I think that might've been easy mode.

As someone who had very little experience and decided to completely tear down and rebuild a motorcycle, it's not that complicated. Just buy the shop book and follow all the steps. You can do it, that's a great deal for a great bike!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

If any central coast goons want a crack at it, have at it- it's a hard pass for me, will elaborate in a minute.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The good:
-Engine sounds good, feels good, clutch shifts good, the larger motorcycle bug is now firmly planted in my brain, oh my god the way it pulls.

The bad:
-Our dad forecast was way off, this bike has absolutely been under bad management for 30k miles. I asked when the valves had been last checked, he cheerfully told me he'd had it for 30k miles and hadn't had anything done but replacing the starter and the ignition. I can't imagine that includes oil changes but I can't say for sure after talking to the guy. The sidestand was so rusted as to be a challenge, he's has been commuting 2 hours a day on it for years and couldn't be arsed to put some grease on a sidestand. He didn't know how the back luggage keying worked, or that he had more keys for it that might fit.

-It was 40 miles past reserve on the tank, so about to run dry. He also couldn't get his gas can to work right and almost poured it through his oil funnel as a workaround before I asked if it was clean (I had looked, it was not). Second gas can to the rescue.

-When I let go: I think something's hosed up with the steering that I'm at a loss to describe here. Side-to-side travel was rough and concerning at a standstill. In motion, it was really hard to hold even a low speed turn, and not in an uncle's cruiser kind of way, more like stuttering amounts of feedback against my bar presses and trying to stand itself up way more forcefully than it should. I'm talking gentle neighborhood speed turns here.

-He's been replacing the tires one at a time.

-That previous buyer that test rode and came back with leaking front caliper? He'd come from out of town with a trailer, and left empty handed, and I'm sure this guy offered it to him for a song and dance. That rider's report was that "something was wrong" with the steering too, which the seller concluded was related to the leaking front caliper. When I arrived now, he still didn't know if the front brake was usable (it was). Only after my rejection did he think maybe he should actually go for a ride and see what's wrong with his bike (or he knows full well what's wrong and is a Bad Faith Dad.)

Funny thing on the way out- I'd taken the VanVan there and parked it in front of a neighbor's across the street. That neighbor came out to chat about the Vanvan and shoot the poo poo for a minute, this guy had a hayabusa and a couple of dirt bikes. When I told him why I was there, he said "Oh, you were looking at..." and got this grin on his face.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Good on you. Those are all things that can get ignored when you show up excited about a bike. Most of that stuff probably isn't terribly expensive to fix, but it sounds like it's not what you want to do, so that's fine.
Steering could have been bearings, underinflated tire, poorly worn tire, or all three. Doing steering bearings on a bike with that much plastic is probably a pain in the taint.
On the other hand, who knows what might surprisingly unearth itself for the next owner in short order.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
sounds like it needs new steering head bearings and a little TLC

Him not doing a valve check isn't that concerning assuming the motor ran OK - it's a Yamaha. The saddlebags should use the same key as the ignition, and that looks like the factory topcase so it should've been keyed to match but might have a separate key.

The guy sounds like a dipshit and you're making the right call by walking. I understand and agree with not wanting to fix it up in the street outside your apartment. Having said that, that bike's a few hours' labor and maybe a couple hundred in parts, not including tires, from racking up another 50k+ miles in comfort for someone semi-competent with a wrench. It's still not a bad deal at 3K.

e:3k, not 2

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is still a good deal, just not for you.

The owner is a fuckwit definitely.