Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Slugworth posted:

Nah. I don't buy it. I know it's lame to be the guy who calls BS on a Reddit post instead of just having fun with it, but there's just no way that's real. 100 percent a guy who had some spare tile and some spare time to get some upvotes or karma or whatever dumb system reddit uses.

It *is* lame and you're a buzzkill.

Also, if he was going after karma, then why delete the post? With that motivation he should've stayed around and played the fool to a bunch of bewildered DIYers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I could believe the BS “do lovely tile work and take some fun pics before I demo the bathroom” story but not if the post and Imgur album was just deleted right away, what’s the point in that?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I feel a little bad digging through the guy's reddit profile but he's made a couple other threads in r/HomeImprovement which lead me to believe he not only has very little home improvement experience, but he's also kinda Dunning-Krugering his way through the things he is attempting:

https://old.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/pjy9tw/im_trying_to_install_a_nodig_vinyl_picket_fence/ wherein he wants to know how to best set a cheapo fence into his concrete driveway, and is concerned asbestos might be under it

(He reposts the same question in r/DIY and r/homeowners.)

https://old.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/rz25gm/my_vanity_sink_valves_are_stuck_but_is_this_normal/ gets lost encountering under-sink shut off valves

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I choose to believe it was done by a toddler who ran out of macaroni and craft paper.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

How in the world do you get that much thinset on the top of the tiles? I just... :psyduck: :barf:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I'm glad he used spacers in the third pic at least.

I don't know what he used them for mind you. Certainly not for spacing the tiles.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Darchangel posted:

How in the world do you get that much thinset on the top of the tiles? I just... :psyduck: :barf:

I don't know what he used them for mind you. Certainly not for spacing the tiles.

Yeah you have to literally backstroke to get to the edge of the next tile.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Amazing, it's even worse than my bathroom tiles.

edit: for comparison. Also the house came like this.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's more grout than house at this point.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Saw this posted today. Toilet is leaking and the shutoff valve is too close to the toilet to turn

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm trying to come up with the possible installation sequences here and how one could possible continue on with such an installation........

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's the idgaf method.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Motronic posted:

I'm trying to come up with the possible installation sequences here and how one could possible continue on with such an installation........

Remove the scre holding the handle in, turn with pliers, replace handle and screw.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Motronic posted:

it was the end of the day

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

it was the end of the day

I think we have a winner.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Motronic posted:

I think we have a winner.

i did a bunch of construction work details for an infantry unit while i was deployed, "make that fit" was my specialty

disappointed the company command shack didn't burn down before we left, i assume it eventually did though, the mantra of the sergeants doing the wiring was "well it doesn't have to be to code!"

semi-related, our battalion medics built and wired their own aid station shack, but discovered they'd circled a ground back into a hot (i think, this was over a decade ago and i don't do wiring) when they flipped it on for the first time and caused light fixtures to spit sparks and two of the window a/cs built into the walls to start smoking and melting. it was like $8 worth of requisitions that had to be replaced, all that stuff just tossed right into the burn pit, it fucken ruled (don't sign up to fight other peoples' wars)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LonsomeSon posted:

i did a bunch of construction work details for an infantry unit while i was deployed, "make that fit" was my specialty

Can I get your professional opinion on this doorknob repair job?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's an awful lot of lockable fenced space inside a chaplain's office. Are bibles not class 9 anymore?

But that's about as thorough a job you can expect from the enlisted at door knob repair.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Can I get your professional opinion on this doorknob repair job?

…oh my god, a bag of doorknobs?!?! 14/10

I can’t stop looking at this, do you know anything else about it? Wondering if there are now a bunch of raccoons and badgers or whatever nesting in the faith-neutral conference room

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

Notice you/the guy before you put the pipe in the wrong spot. Think "well it's already drywalled, so I ain't moving it". Turn off water to the house, open toilet valve, install, turn water back on, don't think about the future.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Crappy construction:

Slugworth posted:

don't think about the future.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Saw this posted today. Toilet is leaking and the shutoff valve is too close to the toilet to turn

The solution is to unscrew the valve, as posted already.

Originally, the pipe was not secured in the wall, and moved around enough to swing away from the toilet. Now it's caulked in place, where it passes through drywall/plaster.

America
Apr 26, 2017

Shoulda used an escutcheon plate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LonsomeSon posted:

There’s a place for slipshod but functional for now and whatever else it is, it’s emphatically nowhere near water, imho.

I think there's a Chinese phrase for this often used in particular examples of terrible construction that translates to something like 'good enough' or 'not my problem anymore'.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LonsomeSon posted:

…oh my god, a bag of doorknobs?!?! 14/10

I can’t stop looking at this, do you know anything else about it? Wondering if there are now a bunch of raccoons and badgers or whatever nesting in the faith-neutral conference room

It's the hangar where I work. There is indeed a thriving raccoon population, since the animal control office is about as well staffed as the doorknob repair division. To be fair, they did come by a few days later and actually replaced the door handle; I was just amused by the absurdity of neatly bagging up the broken pieces.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think there's a Chinese phrase for this often used in particular examples of terrible construction that translates to something like 'good enough' or 'not my problem anymore'.

cha bu duo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When my dad did construction it was, “Can’t see it from my house!”

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tiler, who is also an amateur fossil hunter "i have a great idea on how to conceal this pipe"

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That is some pretty damned impressive tile cutting.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, I want to hate this but I just can't. drat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, I can't be too pissed off about this because they clearly put effort into what they were doing. :shobon:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Enos Cabell posted:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

CRISITUNITY!!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

canyoneer posted:

tiler, who is also an amateur fossil hunter "i have a great idea on how to conceal this pipe"

ngl would unironically do this

Also I showed my wife the House Flipper trailer last night. She was skeptical at first and then she dug it. :getin:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

therobit posted:

….replace handle and screw.

What if I am working on it alone?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LonsomeSon posted:

it was the end of the day and I really had to poop

:colbert:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

What if I am working on it alone?

If you’re a plumber you should have developed a pretty strong grip using pipe wrenches by now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Small detail crappy construction. I have this power supply, one of those multi-region deals where you clip in a region specific adapter that's supposed to stay in place pretty much forever.

Yesterday we pulled it out the wall. The adapter part held on. The glue that holds the adapter part together did not and left us with this.

Some of you may already see where this is going. For anyone wondering "where's the rest of it", well

It's in an unplugged power strip for the photo, I'm not that much of an idiot

This seems like a perfectly clever idea if you look at the system from the outside, but as soon as you examine it closer you realize it's actually bafflingly irresponsible. It's incredibly easy to have a brainwave and go "whoops the bit is stuck let me just pull that out real quick" and grab it.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
I’ve had cheaply made international power adapters do that. Left a plastic plate on the wall with pads for each pin. Don’t use those $2 adapters.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've since checked another of those multi region type adapters I remembered I had, and in that the bit with the pins is held in with a screw. Textbook "where can we save money in bulk production".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

It's more grout than house at this point.

I can't throw stones - I had removed the old coax tv socket from the wall and decided to fill the hole using a normal wall small hole filler. It was only when it had hardened I noticed I'd grabbed the tub of pre-mixed tile grout out of the shed instead of filler. The tubs were the same style and colouring.

Sanding it smooth was a LOT of effort !