Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait is that the middle guy?

Is he just cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

is redeeming an adjective or a verb?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Both.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gutsen Glory is almost definitely them pulling the OG Thunderbolts thing of hiding an existing character.

Persuasion is interesting cuz her power is really easy to cross a line with.

I liked Zub's previous run on Thunderbolts OK, though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gripweed posted:

It's both, like caught

How long as Purple Man had an adult daughter? I'm only familiar with his class of wee kids that showed up in Daredevil

Also nice to see someone remembers Hawkeye's history with the Thunderbolts brand

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is Walker still kind of a dick? Would he need to hide his identity?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's both, like caught

How long as Purple Man had an adult daughter? I'm only familiar with his class of wee kids that showed up in Daredevil

Also nice to see someone remembers Hawkeye's history with the Thunderbolts brand

Persuasion's been around for a while. She was on Alpha Flight for a cup of coffee in the 80s or 90s. (And showed up in Kelly Thompson's Jessica Jones run to follow up on the Purple Kids stuff, IIRC)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmm, that new suit for Clint is a pretty good hybrid of his classic and modern suits. I like it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

Is Walker still kind of a dick? Would he need to hide his identity?

He's currently on Fisk's Thunderbolts and is being a dick, yes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Codependent Poster posted:

Did a sorcerer grow his arm and legs back?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Did a sorcerer grow his arm and legs back?

Apparently, yes. That's pretty much what happened.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
According to wiki he had them grown back on an alternate Earth using a lobotomized version of that Earth's Venom symbiote.

Comics!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

According to wiki he had them grown back on an alternate Earth using a lobotomized version of that Earth's Venom symbiote.

Comics!

yeah that was at the end of the old Luke Cage Thunderbolts series I think

Which means US Agent has had his limbs back for like ten years which is long enough that I forget he ever lost them to begin with, especially with his appearances in Captain America and the new Fisk Thunderbolts stuff

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Where the gently caress is Songbird and Moonstone

And Mach-[insert number] I guess. And Tech-whoever if he isn't still trapped in a time loop. And...Zemo? Can people still write an anti-hero Zemo, or is he just flat out evil now? And Goliath, I guessss.....BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY THAN ALL THESE JOBBERS, where is Songbird and Moonstone???????

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gologle posted:

Where the gently caress is Songbird and Moonstone

And Mach-[insert number] I guess. And Tech-whoever if he isn't still trapped in a time loop. And...Zemo? Can people still write an anti-hero Zemo, or is he just flat out evil now? And Goliath, I guessss.....BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY THAN ALL THESE JOBBERS, where is Songbird and Moonstone???????

- Moonstone currently works at Ravencroft and I imagine if Hawkeye is forming a team of actual superheroes to fight back against Fisk's Thunderbolts she was not on the shortlist

- Songbird is ????

- Abner Jenkins is fuckin dead

- Atlas' last appearance was him siding with Hydra in Secret Empire and that means you're off the team too I'm pretty sure

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Weird to see this team with America and Clint and without Kate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

wait wasn't he just in that united states of captain america book

Weird to see this team with America and Clint and without Kate.

america just had a book that totally poo poo the bed and kate is in a current mini that's resetting everything to go along with a tv show that ended 2 months ago

site fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 12, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kate is texting America and moving back to New York and this is where Thunderbolts is taking place which is why it's weird.

She's been texting Clint too!

Just feels weird unless she's tapped for another book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The last Thunderbolts series (also written by Jim Zub) came out in the run-up to Secret Empire, and was most of the original team being led by Winter Soldier, trying to protect Kobik (the little Cosmic Cube girl who turned Steve Rogers into a Nazi but didn't mean to) from being captured by Nazi Steve and Baron Zemo. When Zemo shows up to successfully capture Kobik and Bucky, they assume Jolt, Songbird, Mach-X, and Ghost got killed in the collapse of their base. Moonstone takes Zemo's side eagerly, Fixer ambivalently, and Atlas in a "join or die" reluctant way. The last two pages are Songbird crawling from the wreckage to walk off into the snow acting as if she knows Mach-XX is dead, and then Ghost ghosts out with a tiny unconscious Jolt in his pocket.

Last Known Statuses of Various Classic Thunderbolts:
Zemo - Was a full throated Nazi during Secret Empire. Currently marooned on a monster-infested desert island with a transformed half-actual-spider Spider-Man in Savage Spider-Man. Alignment: very evil.
Moonstone - Didn't really do much of anything outside of crowd scenes/fights in Secret Empire. Took the side of the invaders in War of the Realms but betrayed them and helped the Giant Men. Was part of Zemo's DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY Punisher-hunting Thunderbolts in Rosenberg's Punisher, where she betrays Zemo as soon as multiple heroes show up. Last seen in Frank Tieri's very bad Ravencroft book working at the titular Ravencroft where it seems like she's working an angle but they never develop as she disappears halfway through the series after going into the basement and trying to keep the weird experiments in the sub-basement from escaping, but really she's just shooting at air because she's been mesmerized. She has not been seen since, and might still be shooting at air in the sewers. Alignment: Moderate to severe evil.
Atlas - Didn't do much of anything outside of crowd scenes/fights in Secret Empire. Was pretty solidly heroic as one of the Giant Men in War of the Realms: Giant Man. Shows up hanging out with heroes in Gwenpool Strikes Back, which I don't know if that counts for anything. Alignment: Probably mostly heroic?
Songbird - Only appearance since the end of the last TB series was in a crowd shot at Hulkling and Wiccan's wedding in Empyre Aftermath. Alignment: Alive, heroic enough to get invited to space weddings
Mach-X - Still presumed dead, though there's no body. Alignment: Probably dead?
Fixer - Straight up did not appear in Secret Empire, but popped back up in the DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY Thunderbolts in Rosenberg Punisher, where he gets two lines across three issues and then gets his cybernetic chest blown out by Punisher and everyone acts like he's dead. Not seen since. Alignment: Probably not dead, probably evil
Ghost - Despite fighting against Zemo at the end of the Zub Thunderbolts book, he shows up working for Zemo to free Nazi Cap from prison, and is later part of the DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY Thunderbolts, but since it is a Peter Rosenberg comic he commits a series of bluffs and secret betrayals and is ultimately working for Kingpin to sabotage Zemo. Ultimately he disintegrates Baron Zemo on Fisk's orders and slinks off thanking Kingpin for helping him get rid of a fascist. Later shows up in Strikeforce working for Moonstone, but only because Moonstone stole his thumb drive with his girlfriend's brain on it, and he turns on her to help the good guys. Alignment: Not a fascist, at least? Maybe?
Jolt - Last seen being tucked into a pouch on Ghost's costume. Not seen since. Alignment: Comatose in a Ghost Pouch
USAgent - Honestly, who the hell knows? He was gaslit into working for Nazi Cap before Nazi Cap went public with being a Nazi, and then it was implied that Nazi Cap had him killed, but he showed up fighting against the Nazis in Secret Empire. He shows up in Rosenberg's Punisher as part of a group of heroes who are mad that Frank stole some War Machine armor, but doesn't really do anything. Pops up in Ta-Nahesi Coates's Captain America where it seems like he's starting a new anti-government reactionary Scourge cult, but that plotline is dropped. Is part of Force Works during the Iron Man 2020 event where he's a pretty unalloyed good guy, and continues to be a heroic ally in United States of Captain America and the Priest-written USAgent mini last year, where he's obviously still kind of a jerk but one that Steve Rogers/Bucky/Jim Rhodes/Mockingbird/etc. etc. all like and respect. Currently appearing in Devil's Reign as part of Fisk's Thunderbolts, but is questioning the overtly evil things Fisk is asking him to do and getting Purple Man whammied into following orders, so they're working in an escape hatch if they want to use him in the next Secret Defenders book or whatever. Alignment: Heroic but Mind Controlled, or Evil, Or Secretly Starting a Boogaloo Kill Cult

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kate is texting America and moving back to New York and this is where Thunderbolts is taking place which is why it's weird.

She's been texting Clint too!

Just feels weird unless she's tapped for another book.

Her next book has her going home to her parental estate. It turns out, due to cosmic cube bullshit, she'll do a 180 and follow her legacy to replace Fisk as the next criminal overlord. Having her play the bad guy for a while would be fun mostly because Clint would be really exasperated when he'd find out.

By the way, did you guys read Hawkeye Freefall? That was probably the last comic book series which actually focused on Clint. It was a fun romp about secret identities, interpersonal connections and mob grudges. In the end he did some really vile stuff to win his feud to the point that the henchmen where claiming that he's lost his way and is one of them now. That character development was kind of ignored afterwards right? Jed McKay did dig that story up as a context for Black Cat Mary Jane, but Clint himself was still acting as a goody two shoes since then.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I'm out of the loop on this, but I can see America Chavez, Monica Rambeau, Hawkeye and I guess someone people are calling Gutsen Glory? Who are the other two?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Monica's costume has a real post Zero Hour Legion of Super Heroes feel to it and that is not a complaint.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Nilbop posted:

I'm out of the loop on this, but I can see America Chavez, Monica Rambeau, Hawkeye and I guess someone people are calling Gutsen Glory? Who are the other two?

quote:

This May, New York City will have its own authorized team of super heroes in THUNDERBOLTS #1! Rising out of the destruction of DEVIL’S REIGN, this all-new lineup of Thunderbolts will star in a limited series by superstar creative team, writer Jim Zub and artist Sean Izaakse. Zub previously penned an action-packed run of the series in 2016 and now returns to tell the adventures of a new Hawkeye-led Thunderbolts that includes favorites like Spectrum, America Chavez, Power Man, and Persuasion plus the exciting debut of Gutsen Glory, an experienced cyber-soldier seeking new glory!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Who the gently caress is Persuasion? I assume it's the purple woman, but I've never read a comic with her in it

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Power Man? That's Luke Cage?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Skwirl posted:

Who the gently caress is Persuasion? I assume it's the purple woman, but I've never read a comic with her in it

OnimaruXLR posted:

Purple Man had an adult daughter?

Gaz-L posted:

Persuasion's been around for a while. She was on Alpha Flight for a cup of coffee in the 80s or 90s. (And showed up in Kelly Thompson's Jessica Jones run to follow up on the Purple Kids stuff, IIRC)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Nilbop posted:

Power Man? That's Luke Cage?
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/V%C3%ADctor_%C3%81lvarez_(Earth-616)

Skwirl posted:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Kara_Killgrave_(Earth-616)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

"Redeeming justice, like lightning" is one of the clumsiest taglines I've ever read. It's not really a play on words and it's hard to make sense of at a glance. I wonder if Jim Zub came up with that himself or if editorial cooked it up for him.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

how did they explain away zemo getting vaporized at the end of punisher

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Cosmic Cube?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

Apparently they did explain it in the recent Falcon & Winter Soldier mini-series; Ghost was triple (quintuple?) crossing EVERYONE and only pretended to betray Zemo and vaporize him, he really just teleported him away so everyone would think he was dead and the people who wanted to take over Hydra after his death would expose their intentions and he could kill them. Except that was also a swerve, he was in cahoots with the person trying to take over Hydra, except other people were secretly really taking over Hydra, who only pretended to be in cahoots with Zemo, so that's why he's now trapped on a desert island with the savage Spider-Man.

I'm kind of surprised anyone even bothered acknowledging it, Rosenberg's Punisher has been pretty much completely but politely ignored since it finished.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like you could make a good gag out of him double crossing so many times he just gets mixed up and Zeno went free.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

For all my favorite characters that go back and forth across hero/villain lines (Juggernaut, Rhino, Taskmaster, Magneto, Doom, etc), I will never, EVER stop being salty that they've made Zemo basically irredeemable. The best part of OG Thunderbolts was that eventually the "doing the right thing" bug got him too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like you could make a good gag out of him double crossing so many times he just gets mixed up and Zeno went free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4qmixTEnBQ

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
noticed an apparent continuity issue in Devil's Reign: what exactly are the origins of the Superior Four supposed to be? the main book seems to say that they're Octavius in stolen bodies a la Superior Spider-Man, but the Superior Four tie-in pretty clearly depicts them as amalgams of Otto and Wolverine/Ghost Rider/Hulk, with no body-stealing involved

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

They're Ottos from alternate realities who have ended up with the origin stories we associate with Logan, Banner, and Blaze.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

rantmo posted:

They're Ottos from alternate realities who have ended up with the origin stories we associate with Logan, Banner, and Blaze.

That’s what the tie-in shows. The main miniseries, on the other hand, has 616 Otto addressing them with something like “each of you inhabited a hero from your world.”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barry Convex posted:

That’s what the tie-in shows. The main miniseries, on the other hand, has 616 Otto addressing them with something like “each of you inhabited a hero from your world.”

From his perspective they are inhabiting the place of a hero. It just wouldn't make much sense to the other Ottos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JordanKai posted:

"Redeeming justice, like lightning" is one of the clumsiest taglines I've ever read. It's not really a play on words and it's hard to make sense of at a glance. I wonder if Jim Zub came up with that himself or if editorial cooked it up for him.

It's just taking the original tagline: Justice, like lightning -which is a literary quote, if I remember Busiek's use of it in the original run- and adding the redemption part because this seems like it's the first time since maybe the weird Fight Club run where the Thunderbolts are being set up as unambiguous good guys who want to be heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

It's just taking the original tagline: Justice, like lightning -which is a literary quote, if I remember Busiek's use of it in the original run- and adding the redemption part because this seems like it's the first time since maybe the weird Fight Club run where the Thunderbolts are being set up as unambiguous good guys who want to be heroes.

That had to be one of the weirdest and most abrupt changeovers of a comic's subject matter I've ever seen. Reformed villains working as heroes? Nah, check this out.