Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Also the old problem that culture considers women to be incubators/second class citizens that are taught since childhood that their wedding is the only day they will be important.

Throw on top of that the sister being pregnant and you have a perfect storm of bullshit.

Edit: Replying to this

Seth Pecksniff posted:

What in tarnation makes some women turn into demons from the depths of hell when it comes to weddings?

It's literally one day and yet people spend five figures on it and become hellspawn for a 50/50 shot of staying married within 20 years

It's insane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for reporting the delivery guy for making his child do the work for him?

quote:

Ok so I recently ordered some food from this delivery app, I had always ordered from it and never had any issues really, but this time when the order arrived there was a little boy (maybe around 12 years old) at my door delivering my food. I was so confused at first, he gave me my order and then ran towards a motorcycle where a man was, and then they drove off. I was so shocked, I immediately contacted the app’s support to ask them how they can allow child labour, and I reported the delivery guy that was making the kid do the work for him. The app’s answer is that their drivers work autonomously and they have little control or whatever bs answer but that they were going to investigate. I told my boyfriend about it and he said I was exaggerating and being a “Karen”, he was genuinely mad that I reported the guy because “maybe he couldn’t leave his kid alone so he brought him along to work, its basically just driving around town in a motorcycle”. I completely disagree, it’s literally child labor, but it caused a huge fight because he thinks this guy might lose his job because of me and honestly maybe he should lose his job so he can learn not to make his child work, he’s a kid he shouldn’t be on the streets delivering food! I even thought about reporting the company aswell for “having little control” and basically allowing child labor to happen! AITA here?

AITA for creating a fake resume that my cousin used to try to find a job?

quote:

My cousin has been living with me for a few months after getting laid off from his job. He is having trouble getting responses to his job applications, so he asked if I would look over his resume and make some modifications/recommendations.

I took a look at the resume and got an idea that would cheer him up. He doesn't have much to do and he has been rewatching Parks and Rec during the day, which is his favorite show. On one episode, I can't remember which on, Tom Haverford is helping Leslie come up with a list of qualifications and accomplishments, and one joke that we both found super funny was "I have only said the n word 4 times in my life".

Thinking it would cheer him up, I added that to his resume so he would spot it when he looked it over and we would have a good laugh. I sent him his resume but was very clear that he NEEDS to review it before posting it anywhere since I made modifications and wanted him to approve them first.

We talked later that evening and I asked if he saw that I emailed back his resume after making modifications, he said he did notice it, thanked me and said he updated his LinkedIn, Career Builder, and Indeed profiles with it, but he wasn't laughing and didn't mention the joke I put in there.

I asked him "you did check the resume before uploading it right...?" and he goes 'no, I trust your judgement and I'm just worn out with the job stuff, so I just uploaded it'. I just about poo poo myself right on to the kitchen floor.

I panicked and yelled "GET YOUR drat COMPUTER NOW!!!" and he was confused and wondering why the sudden change in mood. I explained that I put a joke in his resume and that's why I insisted he check it before uploading it!!! He spotted the modification and blew up on me, asking 'Do you want me to live here forever? Do you want to ruin my chances of getting a job? What the gently caress is wrong with you!?' etc. etc.

I'll admit, I went on the defensive and said "all you had to do was check the loving resume before uploading it, and you're too lazy to even do that? Maybe that's why you got fired and can't find a new job!!!" He went absolutely mental on me and grabbed my tumbler that was on the counter with a stiff mixed drink and threw it at the kitchen all and stormed out. I haven't heard from him for a few days other than him telling me he was staying at our aunt's a few towns over and that he would be back later in the week to get all his poo poo, and that I'm dead to him. I think he's being dramatic and I doubt many people even noticed it since it was only on there for a few hours. I was nice enough to let him live with me for free and what was supposed to be a light hearted joke turned into a whole mess. AITA?

r/relationships: I just about poo poo myself right on to the kitchen floor.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 12, 2022

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for cancelling dinner when my boyfriend brought a bell to the diner to "grab" the staff's attention?

quote:

This might sound bad but I don't know if I was TA here.

I (F30) have been dating my boyfriend Rhett (M31) for 4 months, we live in different town and he's not from here, (he's american living here) he usually visits on the weekends, This time I decided to visit his town and eat out at a diner.

Rhett was already there when I arrived to the diner, we talked some, checked the menu, then when it was time to order he pulled a small bell out of his jacket pocket, lifted it up then started shaking it. it produced a loud, annoying sound my ears started hurting. I was so confused I asked what he was doing and he said that he was trying to get one of the waiter staff's attention. I said it was embarrassing and he should stop right then but he kept shaking it. I can not begin to explain the looks we received from everyone.

I demanded him to stop but he said not til someone came and took our order. I threatened to leave the place and cancel dinner if he wouldn't and he kept doing it. Someone came already, but I'd already gotten up, took my purse and started making my way out. He followed me and started arguing about walking out but I told him that I couldn't take being embarrassed by him and he got upset and said that he didn't get why I thought the bell was embarrassing, explained that it was a perfect solution for no longer be forced to wait til someone shows up. I asked if it was acceptable to do this in america and he said "yes because it's a free country and people there usually don't give a poo poo" but I said it's inappropriate and embarrasding here. he said I was being too sensitive and overreacted over nothing. He insisted we go back inside but I refused.

We ended up leaving, he kept on about how I ruined dinner by cancelling it and offending him by acting like his behavior is shamful. I said I had a right to give an opinion on what he's done even if he thought what he was doing but he basically told me to get off my high horse and stop calling his "genius" idea embarrassing.

He's been sulking for days now and wanting an apology, Maybe I overreacted. maybe it's nothing where he lives but here it's just unacceptable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for cancelling dinner when my boyfriend brought a bell to the diner to "grab" the staff's attention?

In America this is very normal.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
You mean everyone doesn't carry an attention bell?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

She found a way to be a bigger jerk than someone calling themselves child free

Good on her

Captain Hygiene posted:

Having children is just an investment into getting future grandchildren, I don't know why the daughter can't see this

facts like how dare you have autonomy over your own life and body

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

A Bakers Cousin posted:

You mean everyone doesn't carry an attention bell?

Only when I can't find my attention airhorn.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Okay, this one is just loving bizarre. Who lives like this?

AITA for telling my sitter that I'm really disappointed?

quote:

We've been using the same sitter three days a week, holidays and weekends for almost four years. We trust him like he's family for our 10yo son. My husband has been dealing with major health issues for a long time so it has been a wonderful thing for our sitter to take our son out to do guy stuff.

A couple of years ago, our son was being bullied by a classmate named Noah. A few notable incidents included pantsing him, tripping him and spitting water at him. His parents didn't take the whole thing seriously. It got addressed and it's fine now but our son doesn't like Noah.

We know that our sitter (Mike) does work for other families and we've "loaned" him out to other parents at our son's school. He's always been "our" sitter though.

So it wasn't shocking when he said he was going to start working a couple days a week with another family. What was shocking was that it was for Noah. He said it wasn't going to affect his availability with us. I said that's not the point. He knew the history between the two boys and it felt like a sell-out.

Mike said he already told our son and our son didn't seem to care one way or another as long because it's not like he's quitting. No, our son is upset but isn't showing it.

I told him I was a bit disappointed and of all the families he could work for he has to work with them.

Edit: I don't care who else he works for, just not my son's bully.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That babysitter needs to pick a loving side in this conflict, man

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tobermory posted:

quote:

we've "loaned" him out to other parents at our son's school. He's always been "our" sitter though.

What the gently caress. Who talks like this. He works for them three days a week, if they want to control who he works for outside of that then make a contract that compensates him for the rest of his time. Ugh, I hate these people.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sweet, hot-buttered GOD drat. Oof. How did he get to be this person? This is such inconceivable behavior to me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for no longer contributing to my sisters wedding after she took money I gave my niece off her?

Head cannon is now niece moves in with her Uncle and Teacher and goes NC with mom's new family.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Tobermory posted:

quote:

I...don't understand. He's not bringing the (former) bully to your house for playdates, right? He's just watching him on totally separate days in a totally separate house?

quote:

It's about loyalty

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

AITA for not reading my wife’s upcoming novel before it releases because I just… don’t want to?

quote:

My wife’s first book is being published in August of this year. She’s worked on it for a few years and is very proud of it, and I’m proud of her.

But I also am not interested in reading the book before it comes out, and probably not after. It’s nothing personal, obviously. I’m pro-wife and I have nothing against books. I’m quite a reader myself.

Her book is simply not interesting to me, so I think it would be strange to read it. It is about a young woman with a mental illness who enters a group program and is about the “quirky” nature of those people in group.

I read books about man exploring, man solving, man doing. Mostly science fiction, though I do throw in the occasional historical influence, and classic literature. A book about a young woman simply existing is not interesting to me. (FYI, I edited this. Several of you are getting way too caught up in the "men" part of this when the issue is the DOING, not gender, at all. MAN is intended to mean "MANKIND" here. I didn't think this was such an archaic way of referencing the human race.)

At Christmas she was excitedly talking about the upcoming year and things she was looking forward to as part of the publication journey. She mentioned "release party treats" and my brother chimed in about a part of the book, asking if they would include a reference to that scene. I looked at him rather quizzically and said how he knew about that.

He asked me if I’d read it, and I said no, of course not. I said that he knows I’m more of a science fiction or just non-fiction lad myself. He said that he couldn’t imagine not reading his wife’s book if it were to be published. I shrugged it off and said “Well it’s not like you’ve all read it."

As it should turn out, all but my young niece (6f) had read it. I was honestly shocked. Even my dad read it? And his shelves are nothing but Tom Clancy.

My wife has asked me many times to read her book (See note at bottom), but I’ve told her no because of my aforementioned reasons above. But my family is making me second guess my decisions. They all treated me like it was weird for me not to want to read about a 20 year old woman's troubles. Am I really the rear end in a top hat?

Just an FYI: I have been supporting her, for years, while she chased this dream. I make a living comfortable enough for both of us to where she doesn't have to work and can focus on writing. If that isn't support, I don't know what is.

Note from above: From a comment because I definitely didn't get across what I was trying to say: she's asked me to read parts of the book, and I've done that to help her get wording the way she wants it down, etc. She's suggested more and more, chapters, Part I or Part II, etc, from those sections. I've just always said no.

The entire finished book, no. She's never put that in front of me and asked me to read it. Sorry that wasn't what I was getting across. She's obviously the writer, not me.
OK, ok. I will read her book. I get what you guys are saying, I do.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Get with the times, Rhett. There are phone apps for that so you don't have to carry a physical bell anymore.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
r/relationships: I'm pro-wife and I have nothing against books.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

AITA for telling a employee to ask the manager for help?

quote:

I am leaving town and needed to swing by my local grocery store to pick up a box of tampons. When I got to the store the employee was opening the boxes. He was pulling individual tampons out then putting them on the shelf. I showed the employee the count on the boxes and told him that the boxes were not supposed to be opened. The guy started grabbing tampons and shoving them back into the empty boxes. I didn’t want to use a open box. I grabbed a sealed box from the cart behind him. The employee tried to stop me and told me I had to buy a open box. The sealed one was not for sale. I told him that he should ask the manager for help since he didn’t know what he was doing. Then I started to walk off. The employee said I was being an A for telling him how to do his job. I went to check out and the cashier said that I was an A for not taking a open box he refilled since the employee was new and he could loose his job for opening the. Claiming the merchandise won’t sell. AITA here?

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

what in the actual

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A shelf with random individual tampons strewn about for sale.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

How dare you not buy an open box of tampons to hide the fact that the moron stocking the shelves apparently doesn't understand how basic retail works.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I would like two (2) tampons please thank you

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Lol book husband. I'm glad he actually listened and is going to read the book, tho.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Only pay minimum wage, only get minimum brains.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Employee out there trying to sell tampons like they're loose cigarettes, lmao

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for not reading my wife’s upcoming novel before it releases because I just… don’t want to?

r/relationships: I read books about man exploring, man solving, man doing.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I read it as "man dong" at first and boy that would have made things a whole lot more interesting

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I love the "it's not like everybody in my family has read the book", only for him to realize that this puts him on par with his six year old niece.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I am not taking this dude's side. If he loved his wife he'd have read her drat book already. That said I'm glad I'm not married to her because this...

quote:

... It is about a young woman with a mental illness who enters a group program and is about the “quirky” nature of those people in group...
... sounds insufferable.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

r/relationships: man exploring, man solving, man doing, man splaining

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Content warning: :nms:

You've been warned.

AITA for my reaction to my boyfriend, quote, "giving birth to a botfly"???

quote:

This is a really weird story, and a gross one, too. Please bare with me. Content warning for...parasites??? Idk. I'm so grossed out. Throwaway because my bf frequents Reddit and follows me.

Alright. So, my (m19) boyfriend (m18) is really into Entomology and bugs, and stuff. He goes to school or something for it. He's always had a thing for bugs and we both have Autism so I understand it's not a thing he can control. That's okay, never minded, he's really cute and loves talking about it, I always listen to him since he knows a lot about it.

For the past year or so, he's had a like, big fixation on flies in particular. Didn't bother me any. He was pretty weird about me killing flies in our flat (we have three cats) and that didn't bother me since he was always like that about spiders too. Recently though he heard about botfly birthing??? He told me about it and asked me what I thought, and I was basically like, "Whatever floats their boat," and let him keep talking.

Fast forward a bit and he gets this massive welt on his leg. I'm obviously worried about it but. gently caress. He just brushes it off and says "Oh I've had MRSA/Staph infection in the past this is nothing! Haha" Which I understand. He had MRSA just recently and recovered quickly so he had some meds leftover. He just took those. Fast forward a bit more and he RUNS into my room overjoyed with a loving fly larva in his hand and blood pouring down his leg. And he's like. "Babe look!!! It's my baby botfly!" And I'm BAFFLED? I can't even bring myself to laugh because. I don't know if I need to explain WHY because what the HELL? I obviously rush him out of the room so I can help take care of the wound on his leg before he bleeds out.

I don't really remember where it went from here. I was really overwhelmed and forgot just about everything. I'm really grossed out by this and don't know what to do. The thought of it grossed me out. I'd had sex with him while he had a loving fly larva in his leg???? I don't know what to feel. I feel like an rear end in a top hat because of how grossed out I am but I'm pissed off. He kicked me out of our flat for not accepting that it happened and I'm staying with our mutual friend right now. She says he's being weird about my reaction but I'm doubting myself. We've been together for years and I don't want a loving botfly to end our relationship. But I made the ultimanium(??) that he had to get rid of the stupid fly or I'm not coming back. He hasn't responded to me. Sorry if any of this sounds ridiculous, everything happened yesterday and I'm still really jarred by it.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for that reaction???

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
"Babe, look!"

LMFAO

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Wow. A long-form work of art that my wife, the woman I love, crafted. A long glimpse into her internal world, her values and fears and hopes and concerns about the world... bits of her humor, nuggets of her wisdom, even the flaws of her ignorance. It's all there, for me to consume, to know her better, to understand her more deeply.

Ugh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Brawnfire posted:

Wow. A long-form work of art that my wife, the woman I love, crafted. A long glimpse into her internal world, her values and fears and hopes and concerns about the world... bits of her humor, nuggets of her wisdom, even the flaws of her ignorance. It's all there, for me to consume, to know her better, to understand her more deeply.

Ugh.

To be fair I don’t think you will get that much from it, though he apparently rly only reads stuff with the same naming scheme as she hulk

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair I don’t think you will get that much from it, though he apparently rly only reads stuff with the same naming scheme as she hulk

Eh, I think it's still interesting to see what kind of story your wife would want to tell, and the guy sucks for not even attempting to read it and assuming he won't like it

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

You've been warned.

Went into this thinking it was a woman with children talking about her husband now feeling like he knows what giving birth is like or some other insane thing.

I was not prepared for the reality.

sootikins posted:

"Babe, look!"

LMFAO

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Ugh.

What if I don’t give a poo poo about books like that?

E: oh he does, just not her book

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 13, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hughlander posted:

You've been warned.

aaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for telling my little sister she can’t just come home from college every time she’s sick so my parents can take care of her?

quote:

My little sister (f20) lives 50 minutes from my parents. I (f25) 35 minutes from my parents. Normally, my little sisters has my parents come pick her up every single weekend to go home. My parents never fail to pick her up. I usually pick her up and drop her off often as well at the request of my parents because I visit them every week to every other week. However, if I’m sick I don’t go to my parents house. Even if Covid negative. They’re in perfect health, but we all work full time and I don’t want anyone to feel crappy. My little sister insists on coming home and having our mom care for her, and says she cannot get better at school because her roommate comes into her room “24/7.” I said she shouldn’t come home and recover at school so she doesn’t get our parents sick. I also don’t feel comfortable visiting when she’s sick because she does not always test for Covid when she is sick, but we are all vaccinated, but I work with cancer patients and do not expose myself to sick people at all. It limits my time with my parents, like this weekend she’s sick again and I planned to come over and spend time with my mom.

AITA for telling my little sister to suck it up and get better at school and not expose me and my parents.

Hughlander posted:

You've been warned.

You know another hosed up thing? If you can't suck them out with a snakebite kit or put vaseline on the wound, you know one thing that kills them? ivermectin

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for hiding behind the couch so my sister wouldn't hand her screaming baby to me?

quote:

Throwaway because my sister is on reddit.

My (14f) sister Della (19f) is in college. She took her 2nd semester off because she recently had a baby, Roxy (0f). She knows who the father is, but they aren't in a relationship.

Della came back home for the semester break to make it easier for her.

Roxy has these 'meltdowns' (don't have a better word) where she's cranky, tired, and is just screaming her head off. When I sing a certain song to her by a pop band I love, she calms down. I have to sing to her for an hour or more. I am not a good singer, but Roxy likes it anyway.

It also works when she's just normal fussy-crying. Della always hands Roxy to me when she cries, especially during her meltdowns.

Della and I had an argument a week ago, about the stupidest thing. Della wanted me to stop singing a song under my breath while I was making myself a snack, and I said she can't control me.

(It wasn't about the noise, it was about her thinking that I'm a terrible singer and not wanting to "be subjected to that God-awful noise.")

She told me that I was a selfish, lazy rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about anyone but herself, and I said that fine, since my singing is so bad, I wouldn't calm Roxy with it. She said fine.

On Thursday, when I got home from school, my parents were working and Roxy was having one of her meltdowns. Della tried to hand me Roxy. I said no, my singing is crap and I didn't want to subject anyone to it, and walked away.

Then I hid behind the couch so she wouldn't be able to force me into helping with Roxy. Della thought I'd gone to a friend's, and didn't look for me for a while, until she decided to call me to see when I'd be home. She heard the phone ring, and was furious that I didn't come out and help her.

My parents are telling me it was super immature to hide, Della is a stressed, sleep-deprived teenager and she needed me then and I wasn't there for her. And now I don't know. They want me to apologize, and I don't want to, but maybe I was just being petty and Della was just tired.

AITA?

lol this kid is great. no pretense, just straight up hiding behind the couch