Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Improbable Lobster posted:

The name Dread was first teased in Fusion, right? As long as MP4 is faster than it should be fine

Dread was teased in a log entry in Corruption.

Vintersorg posted:

I still haven't beat this game as I just dropped off after being so angry at release over the purple bug fight but man - introducing a 1-hit kill mode is sadistic. :lol:

Whoever does it first deserves a huge reward.

I mean it was technically done before the mode was even out. Speedrunners have already done no-damage runs in Dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the dlc is pretty low-effort but it's at least a good sign that a Metroid game is getting post-launch support. shows that Nintendo is happy with the game's sales.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I realized that I didn't know half of Corpius's patterns in phase 3 since I've always either killed him really fast or just tanked damage until I absolutely could not do that in Dread mode.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

I realized that I didn't know half of Corpius's patterns in phase 3 since I've always either killed him really fast or just tanked damage until I absolutely could not do that in Dread mode.

Yea that fight was more of a pain in the rear end than I remember. I think the idea of “stay alive first, return fire second” is going to be an absolute rule playing on Dread.

Mis-timing counters is a stupid way to die, and I’ve had more of those than I want to remember already.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I actually did ok with re-animated Corpius except for his simultaneous double-swipe attach he does in phase two. For whatever reason, I could never time it right and that one attack can even one-hit kill you if your health is low enough. Very frustrating.

I haven't gotten to Raven Beak yet, but I looked at a youtube video of the fight and, uggg I am not looking forward to it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I actually did ok with re-animated Corpius except for his simultaneous double-swipe attach he does in phase two. For whatever reason, I could never time it right and that one attack can even one-hit kill you if your health is low enough. Very frustrating.

Experiment Z-57 is not Corpius. You actually saw it earlier in the game, where it disappears once the X get their hands on it:

quote:

I haven't gotten to Raven Beak yet, but I looked at a youtube video of the fight and, uggg I am not looking forward to it.

Raven Beak's difficulty is overrated. Once you take a few minutes to learn how he moves all of his attacks start to show off their obvious points of how to dodge them.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

TaurusOxford posted:

Experiment Z-57 is not Corpius. You actually saw it earlier in the game, where it disappears once the X get their hands on it:

Does look like a related organism/genetic engineering project, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm going to assume X-Corpius was one of the fifteen boss fights cut and dummied out with a chozo warrior fight to hit the release date

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Mis-timing counters is a stupid way to die, and I’ve had more of those than I want to remember already.

My dumbest death so far was running up to one of the pink blob creatures to counter it, and when it reared back its little toe poked me and killed the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter.

That and I've dropped down from platforms to land right on top of enemies more than I care to admit.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

My dumbest death so far was running up to one of the pink blob creatures to counter it, and when it reared back its little toe poked me and killed the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter.

Oh, my dumbest was starting from a save point, running through a door, and not noticing whatever stupid little enemy it was that lives right there and stepping straight on it.

twice :cry:

It’s a really interesting challenge that feels like it’s forcing me to be a little more creative (and FAR more cautious) in how I approach the world. Are you trying to bypass enemies, or clear from afar?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'm still in the early areas but I've been trying to kill everything as fast as possible to avoid the possibility of accidentally bumping into an enemy or one of the flyers rushing me.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My dumbest moment was a final boss spoiler. taking over a dozen failed attempts at raven beak before trying to use a power bomb when he launches the sun thing in phase three. I beat him without taking further damage at that point. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t even use the move you can counter unless you do that, because he sure as hell never tried it on me until after I blew up the sun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

My dumbest moment was a final boss spoiler. taking over a dozen failed attempts at raven beak before trying to use a power bomb when he launches the sun thing in phase three. I beat him without taking further damage at that point. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t even use the move you can counter unless you do that, because he sure as hell never tried it on me until after I blew up the sun.

Having beaten him without doing that, I can confirm that it can be done. You just need to do enough damage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All of the big alien monster bosses are harder than Raven Beak, IMO

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

To me Raven Beak is the hardest "boss" but the double robot minibosses are significantly harder. The bosses all have patterns but RB's are both more numerous and less forgiving. The double robots fights you have to pay attention to two different attackers, there's many combinations of attacks you have to be able to respond to, you must save flash shift to be able to respond to the second attack etc.

I'm sure it's possible to manipulate the robots into some patterns you have good replies to, but just playing against any of the bosses for a while makes me feel like I'm able to choose the best response almost all the time, I don't feel like I'm anywhere near that with the double robots.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kaschei posted:

To me Raven Beak is the hardest "boss" but the double robot minibosses are significantly harder.

Can’t wait to see many Dread runs get wrecked by them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
iIRC the double robot fights are map fights. You have to basically use the platforms in the map to break them up and fight them one at a time. If it’s the one I’m thinking of you can basically get one of them to follow you into the pit on the right side while the guy on the left is ducking around on the platforms.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I still need to beat Raven Beak, lol. Took a break after getting stuck on em but I bet I can polish it off if I pick it up again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

All of the big alien monster bosses are harder than Raven Beak, IMO

I took more tries on Raven Beak than on all of the big alien monster fights combined (and I think the attempts on Raven Beak generally took longer, too.)

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I think once you get his patterns down you can fairly easily beat him with minimum damage, but he has so many more patterns than any other boss.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The big thing with Raven Beak is you can't treat him like a Metroid boss. He's a Megaman X boss, and the game actively wants you to use Dread's mobility options to make a joke out of him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TaurusOxford posted:

The big thing with Raven Beak is you can't treat him like a Metroid boss. He's a Megaman X boss, and the game actively wants you to use Dread's mobility options to make a joke out of him.

The game wants you to be doing this the entire time

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
True, but I feel Raven Beak is the epitome of the game screaming at you to be doing it, as he will melt your health bar if you attempt to just tank hits and hope he'll die first.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Once you beat Raven Beak and replay the game, most of the bosses become fairly trivial. That fight really teaches you how to master Samus’ movement.

That said, I still can’t figure out Escue. At least there is a fun way to cheese it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Escue is a motherfucker, and I love that there's two different ways to cheese it. There's the obvious shinespark to knock off most of the bastard's health, but if you have screw attack from early screw skip (very relevant in Any%), what little health it does have left evaporates and it can't even hurt you.

Does that actually work in Dread mode or do you die from contact damage?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Man, the Chozo robots are hell on dread mode.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

Does that actually work in Dread mode or do you die from contact damage?

The cut-rate screw attack (charge beam + spin-jump) seems to work so far, so I’m betting the real thing will still be valid (and the ONLY method of transport once acquired :v: )

e: ok so I think it only works if you would’ve killed whatever you hit. Just got to Dairon and tried this on one of the flying bug-things that are semi-tough, results were not good!

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 12, 2022

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m struggling to finish off the last EMMI and …I hate it. These fights are not fun, and the EMMIs themselves are all entirely annoying instead of scary.

I think the idea would have worked better if there was a single EMMI that occasionally chased you around, like Mr. X in the RE 2 remake. Maybe they play tested that idea and it didn’t work tho.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I’m struggling to finish off the last EMMI and …I hate it. These fights are not fun, and the EMMIs themselves are all entirely annoying instead of scary.

I think the idea would have worked better if there was a single EMMI that occasionally chased you around, like Mr. X in the RE 2 remake. Maybe they play tested that idea and it didn’t work tho.

Do you mean traversing his areas, or just getting the kill once you grab the omega cannon?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Do you mean traversing his areas, or just getting the kill once you grab the omega cannon?

Honestly both. Like once I get the pattern down it’s east to take down but I find both traversing the area and then the trial and error of the omega cannon to be tiresome mechanic after the third or so EMMI encounter (and especially by the time you encounter the one in Ferenia)

Otherwise great game and probably my favorite game from last year. Right now I’m mostly just running around trying to get all the collectibles and enjoying the art design before I take on Raven Beak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Honestly both. Like once I get the pattern down it’s east to take down but I find both traversing the area and then the trial and error of the omega cannon to be tiresome mechanic after the third or so EMMI encounter (and especially by the time you encounter the one in Ferenia)

Otherwise great game and probably my favorite game from last year. Right now I’m mostly just running around trying to get all the collectibles and enjoying the art design before I take on Raven Beak.

I don't know if it helps but the thing that made EMMIs click for me was not stealthing. I think the game makes a mistake giving you the stealth ability so early because basically if you just run through an area the EMMIs can't bother you unless you box yourself in and that is the moment where stealth can be handy.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The Wave EMMI actually has a pretty forgiving omega cannon kill. Once you flash shift to the end of the hallway with the motion sensor doors, you can just hold L and shoot without aiming at all since Wave EMMI will crawl-walk right into the firing line.

Edit: and yeah, what ImpAtom said. The phantom cloak does more harm than good for evading EMMIs.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I think figuring out how to position yourself correctly to kill the EMMIs is a pretty neat environmental puzzle, especially for the last two.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Darth Nat posted:

I think figuring out how to position yourself correctly to kill the EMMIs is a pretty neat environmental puzzle, especially for the last two.

I agree with this, but I think it's also fair to say that this particular structure is dissonant with what the game wants you to feel narratively about the EMMIs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The phantom cloak is actually really good for dealing with EMMIs, but you need to pop it and move, not hide. I think the game does a pretty good job of communicating that EMMIs are constantly homing in on your last known location, but from the way people describe them, I may be in the minority there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I felt like the EMMI were a fun challenge but it did occasionally get frustrating when I'd figure out what to do but mess up the execution a few times in a row

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I question how people are supposed to know where to go in EMMI zones. Sometimes there are clues or a single realistic path, but other times, it seems like you need either the internet or a lot of trial and error.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The phantom cloak is actually really good for dealing with EMMIs, but you need to pop it and move, not hide. I think the game does a pretty good job of communicating that EMMIs are constantly homing in on your last known location, but from the way people describe them, I may be in the minority there.

I just didn't find a lot of places where it seemed all that useful compared to just ducking around platforms. With the slow movement you couldn't really afford to be in their sight for very long anyhow, so all it was really good for was a tiny extra grace window that never seemed like it was worth the hassle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dreads biggest problem is your super move move just complete devastated everything so using anything else feels pointless yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

I question how people are supposed to know where to go in EMMI zones. Sometimes there are clues or a single realistic path, but other times, it seems like you need either the internet or a lot of trial and error.

It's not really that hard. The zones are labyrinthine just so you have a lot of ways to juke EMMIs, but there usually aren't a ton of different distinct paths to take at any given time.