Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Baggot posted:

I thought it was Strength now.

The team played Death Stranding and realized you should be able carry a lot more as long as it's distributed smartly, so they've changed it to intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

lih posted:

it is, it was confirmed by some of the journalists who played the final build

last i read, the only person who said this was an italian person and might have been an error in translation. has it been confirmed elsewhere?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

last i read, the only person who said this was an italian person and might have been an error in translation. has it been confirmed elsewhere?

I've watched a number of preview chats about the game and haven't heard a single mention of it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Putting it on a required stat seems boring.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Instead of playing through DS3 again in preparation I'd actually rather watch a LP. Are there any recommended? Preferably with the DLC since I never saw that, and cool if it's a 100%/lore type thing too.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

another journalist who played the final build for the latest previews confirmed it. the italian article being a translation error doesn't make any sense either, it explicitly said that it was changed from the network test to be endurance instead of strength.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

a kitten posted:

How many false starts you all figure you'll have? In any game with character creation and stat picking I almost always have a few times where I play a bit and then realize I want to go all in on Str, or Dex sucks, or I picked the wrong nose or something and restart after some arbitrary time.

I usually end up with false starts on most From games, the only one I didn't was Bloodborne and that was because I knew the Tonitrus was a thing, and it used Arcane. Love that little lightning rod.

For Elden Ring, I'm hoping for no false starts at all as I've told myself I'll struggle through with only my first character.

...We'll see how long that lasts though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you do anything other than fat roll you’re a coward.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So I'm not familiar enough with Souls to understand the magic. I think I'm most interested in that cleric type character starting class that had the faith and str, I think it was the Confessor. But how does magic work with having a sword and shield, or even with having a big 2 hand style weapon? Is it pretty easy to swap between the magic and using either your 2 handweapon, or the sword/shield? Or do you need to basically have a hand free all the time in combat?

and for that matter, what about switching between different spells themselves? Do you basically have to go into combat with one or are there hotkeys?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 13, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So I'm not familiar enough with Souls to understand the magic. I think I'm most interested in that cleric type character starting class that had the faith and str, I think it was the Confessor. But how does magic work with having a sword shield, or even with having a big 2 hand style weapon? Is it pretty easy to swap between the magic and using either your 2 handweapon, or the sword/shield? Or do you need to basically have a hand free all the time in combat?

I haven’t paid attention to the game’s mechanics at all but generally you can have 2 items equipped per hand (in other souls game) so you can sword and shield then have the faith-casting item (bell) as the other item in the other hand. So in combat you rock the plank and blade until an opening present itselfs, press the d-pad to swap, and cast a spell.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

a kitten posted:

How many false starts you all figure you'll have? In any game with character creation and stat picking I almost always have a few times where I play a bit and then realize I want to go all in on Str, or Dex sucks, or I picked the wrong nose or something and restart after some arbitrary time.

I'm thinking three

Zero. I have little patience for replaying parts of a game that I had just played through. I'll just roll with it and accept the sub-optimal stat distribution if I decide to switch gears partway through a run.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I wouldn't be surprised if they had the equivalent of weapon sets as well, so when you switch to your gigasword your items are different than when you've got your focus equipped.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

vandalism posted:

I am gonna post a controversial take: i hope equip load is based on endurance.

Even more controversial take: it should be based off multiple stats, with some giving more of a boost than others.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven’t paid attention to the game’s mechanics at all but generally you can have 2 items equipped per hand (in other souls game) so you can sword and shield then have the faith-casting item (bell) as the other item in the other hand. So in combat you rock the plank and blade until an opening present itselfs, press the d-pad to swap, and cast a spell.

Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne have 2 slots per hand, DS2 and DS3 have 3 slots per hand. Bloodborne has no equipload system, so it is absolutely optimal to have all 4 slots filled.

It is not in the DS series. Because weapons in the swap slots still cost valuable equipload, slowing your rolls. In general, it's okay to have a lightweight catalyst or a bow in the swap slots, but not a large weapon.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sum Gai posted:

Even more controversial take: it should be based off multiple stats, with some giving more of a boost than others.

I'm of the opinion that this would be the best way to deal with equipload. Have say END give 0.5 equipload per point, STR give 1.0 per point. That way a non-caster non-strength player has some equipload budget to play with at endgame fashion souls, and a burly STR player who needs to lift their chonk stick gets alot of it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

E R
L I
D N
E G
N

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
🅱elden 🅱ing

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sum Gai posted:

The most solid take: it’s a complex algorithm based on all stats except one, which is decided based on which day of the week your character is made on. Your character is also randomly left/right handed (1% chance to roll ambidextrous) and your blood type affects how various NPCs interact with you. Your character is always allergic to swamps.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

The most solid take: it’s a complex algorithm based on all stats except one, which is decided based on which day of the week your character is made on. Your character is also randomly left/right handed (1% chance to roll ambidextrous) and your blood type affects how various NPCs interact with you. Your character is always allergic to swamps.

Eminently reasonable.

(It is actually a serious suggestion- tying equip load to one stat that does something else, regardless of which it is, makes that stat a little too strong, but it's not powerful enough on its own to justify a dedicated stat like vitality; and there's precedent across the series with how defense or hp goes up with every soul level increase, regardless of which specific stat was raised)

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 13, 2022

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

a kitten posted:

I'm thinking three

None -- I'll inevitably waste my first ten levels of points, find a katana, and there we go it's Dark Sekiro 4 Elders Die Twice

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

First person games must be played with kbm- fact.

Souls is best with controller, it's needless extra masochism to do otherwise.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anno posted:

Instead of playing through DS3 again in preparation I'd actually rather watch a LP. Are there any recommended? Preferably with the DLC since I never saw that, and cool if it's a 100%/lore type thing too.

FightingCowboy is cool.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

codo27 posted:

First person games must be played with kbm- fact.

Souls is best with controller, it's needless extra masochism to do otherwise.

it's not actually, playing with a controller is extra masochism for me, a keyboard and mouse user

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Anno posted:

I don't know if this is helpful, but one of my favorite LPs of all time is Kay Plays going into the original Dark Souls blind. It's amazing seeing someone go from being uncomfortable moving the camera around with a controller to being way better than myself by simply talking things out, staying calm, and being observant. She also has a fun (as in, not forced or annoying) sense of humor.

I never watched her DS3 run but now I'll check it out.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Actually, speaking of equip load, I've heard that the character sheet now openly displays your roll state. Is that true? What did the network tests use for roll breakpoints? Does it work like the granular system of DS2 or more like DS3?

Bloodborne is the best souls game for getting rid of equip burden entirely, btw

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Looks like someone got my order wrong and sent me multiple copies when i only wanted one. I threw away the extras

Lol at that usa box. Uk getting a sweet as gently caress launch box with all kinds of stuff in it like uhh patches and maps and stuff.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

12 days

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I don't know if this is helpful, but one of my favorite LPs of all time is Kay Plays going into the original Dark Souls blind. It's amazing seeing someone go from being uncomfortable moving the camera around with a controller to being way better than myself by simply talking things out, staying calm, and being observant. She also has a fun (as in, not forced or annoying) sense of humor.

I never watched her DS3 run but now I'll check it out.

The DS3 run ended super early, alas.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

a kitten posted:

I'm thinking three

I'm terrible about this in RPGs in general but not in souls games. I just go with the flow and usually end up with a pretty balanced stat distribution. It helps that in general, stats are not THAT important in these games (the most important thing is weapon upgrades) and most builds will work at least reasonably well.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb question. Is it officially known yet if cracked pots are a Zelda bottles capacity situation but for firebombs and holy water? Or is the gift of cracked pots just an extra step added to the usual black firebombs gift used once and gone?

Because a quick casual glance at the internet has me failing to find any details beyond wikis categorizing the Cracked Pot as a "Key Item" needed to craft thrown stuff that "mends itself"... and then listing crafting recipes for fire pots that make no mention of the Cracked Pot itself. Am I overthinking this and it is just a simple case of "Get once to unlock throwing pots crafting forever?"

At least I learned ahead of time that apparently holy water consumes FP according to their description. Which brings me the mental image of a dumb caveman or Belmont whip build running out of FP before they run out of holy water :v:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You're a crackpot

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

Dumb question. Is it officially known yet if cracked pots are a Zelda bottles capacity situation but for firebombs and holy water? Or is the gift of cracked pots just an extra step added to the usual black firebombs gift used once and gone?

Because a quick casual glance at the internet has me failing to find any details beyond wikis categorizing the Cracked Pot as a "Key Item" needed to craft thrown stuff that "mends itself"... and then listing crafting recipes for fire pots that make no mention of the Cracked Pot itself. Am I overthinking this and it is just a simple case of "Get once to unlock throwing pots crafting forever?"

At least I learned ahead of time that apparently holy water consumes FP according to their description. Which brings me the mental image of a dumb caveman or Belmont whip build running out of FP before they run out of holy water :v:

They work like bottles in zelda, you use them to make throwables which turn back into them when they are thrown

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stormgale posted:

They work like bottles in zelda, you use them to make throwables which turn back into them when they are thrown

Thanks. This also makes me hope for a return of the Giant chickens from Sekiro

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

12 days until what?????!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

12 days until what?????!

RPG of the year, Atelier Sophie 2.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

enojy posted:

None -- I'll inevitably waste my first ten levels of points, find a katana, and there we go it's Dark Sekiro 4 Elders Die Twice

You can start with a katana.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JBP posted:

I'm even playing games like Doom on pad this days and enjoying it more. You get rumble and you're using a device designed for pleasure. KBM feels like work.

This is more grotesque than the weirdos playing these games with KBM.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is more grotesque than the weirdos playing these games with KBM.

New Doom is made for pad. That's why it has executions and item cooldowns. I played it on my PC for a bit and got bored but for some reason enjoyed it a lot on pad with haptics.

Moving and clicking a mouse feels like opening a folder.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah that's why it was bad :haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Most FPS games are made for pad these days imo. Outside of sweaty multi-player shooters I guess.

Also Wolfenstein, that only worked kbm because it chooses to handle like a 30 year old game.