Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I just recently watched this whole thing, and its savage. highly recommend looking up True Facts about Grant Anthony O'Brian
This clip is from the Part Two which aired last December and is only available on the subscriber streaming thing 'Dropout' that Collegehumor mutated into after Facebook hosed them over. The first part is up for free on YouTube and is still worth a watch.

"Grant looks like if a cartoon undertaker were cosplaying as Rivers Cuomo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sardonik posted:

loving incredible

To be fair to boomers, what the gently caress do you call that specifically? "The desktop" isn't great because most people would interpret that to include the screen, mouse etc, so if you said something like "find the button on the front of your desktop" many people would look on the monitor.

"The box"/"case"? Probably more clear and specific if you're talking about buttons or whatever, but you're still just using a metonym the same as calling it a "CPU".

Like I'm generally interest what people in tech support find to be the best term to use when theyr referring to that specifically. Is it really "desktop"?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

To be fair to boomers, what the gently caress do you call that specifically? "The desktop" isn't great because most people would interpret that to include the screen, mouse etc, so if you said something like "find the button on the front of your desktop" many people would look on the monitor.

"The box"/"case"? Probably more clear and specific if you're talking about buttons or whatever, but you're still just using a metonym the same as calling it a "CPU".

Like I'm generally interest what people in tech support find to be the best term to use when theyr referring to that specifically. Is it really "desktop"?

The tower

Or really "the computer"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I keep saying "stack", but I don't think other people generally say this

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I remember perusing Dell catalogs at my grandparents’ house in the late 90’s/early 00’s as a kid and they called it “the chassis”

TBF this may have been some misremembered fever dream because I have seen it called that nowhere else since then

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
The "console" apparently.

https://www.dummies.com/article/technology/computers/hardware/general-hardware/the-basic-parts-of-a-pc-198602

That's better than what I've been calling it. "The actual computer."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

after near a decade trapped in tech support hell, I can assure you only the only people who don't know what you mean when you say "the computer" are assholes who are deliberately being obtuse to make your life hard. at worst you spend 5 seconds clarifying the difference between the computer itself and the monitor, which is not a part of the computer any more than the printer is

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A "desktop" refers to the entire setup, computing unit, monitor, keyboard, speakers, et cetera. All the individual parts that come built into a laptop are what make up a desktop computer. "CPU" is equally a misnomer because the CPU is just one internal unit, which tends to be centralized together with hard drives, power units, RAM, graphic cards and the like.

I've always referred to the computing unit as the "tower," but I like "console." That is both wholly accurate and broadly understandable.

E: plus, when was the last time anyone who does not work in tech support said the word "computer" out loud? It's ubiquitous enough as a concept that I've only ever referred to them by specific qualifiers and havent's said the word in like a decade

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Feb 13, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bike tory posted:

The "computer"! :mad:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My nephew is still looking for the PS5 Nintendo system

I found an xbox but that wasn't the right Nintendo

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Ok yeah admittedly 'Tower' would have been more correct, but it still somehow feels wrong. You certainly wouldn't call a NUC a tower, yet arguably that's still a kind of desktop. At what form factor is something too small to be considered a tower?

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Feb 13, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Box

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

plus, when was the last time anyone who does not work in tech support said the word "computer" out loud? It's ubiquitous enough as a concept that I've only ever referred to them by specific qualifiers and havent's said the word in like a decade

what?? I say stuff like "Let me get on my computer" or "oh I didnt do the dishes yet I was on my computer" or "Sorry I didnt look at it, I havent been on my computer yet today" like every day

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-JnjOXa120

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s a drat shame you can’t get computers with cup holders anymore.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: plus, when was the last time anyone who does not work in tech support said the word "computer" out loud? It's ubiquitous enough as a concept that I've only ever referred to them by specific qualifiers and havent's said the word in like a decade

are you loving serious, my guy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Warbird posted:

It’s a drat shame you can’t get computers with cup holders anymore.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

That is so gross.

I mean who drinks Pepsi?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
https://youtu.be/QpWhugUmV5U

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

it's true I exclusively refer to it as "the ol' punch card machine"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sardonik posted:

loving incredible

I heard the left arm yesterday in conversation among my younger coworkers. As in, the cable company is bringing the WiFi to the house tomorrow. :corsair:

I'm surprised my dad didn't have one of these, though it would've been a coke or a Black Russian in the holder.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
WiFi stands for "wireless fireless"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
WIener
FIdgeting

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
They should have named it 'Wii Fiitness' instead to keep with the theme, would have done a lot better

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A simple solution would be to always execute anyone over 30.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Logan's Run 2

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

RFC2324 posted:

after near a decade trapped in tech support hell, I can assure you only the only people who don't know what you mean when you say "the computer" are assholes who are deliberately being obtuse to make your life hard. at worst you spend 5 seconds clarifying the difference between the computer itself and the monitor, which is not a part of the computer any more than the printer is

this is crazy to me because 90 percent of computers I see in a professional setting are the fully integrated monitor/computer setup and the other 10% are those awful tiny dell boxes

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

this is crazy to me because 90 percent of computers I see in a professional setting are the fully integrated monitor/computer setup and the other 10% are those awful tiny dell boxes

This is crazy to me because I've literally never seen those since like the apple2. Everyone's got a laptop and monitor these days.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

A simple solution would be to always execute anyone over 30.

:hmmyes:

I guess 95% of us are way overdue

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

ILL Machina posted:

This is crazy to me because I've literally never seen those since like the apple2. Everyone's got a laptop and monitor these days.

they're super common in healthcare here for some reason despite one of the most annoying things about going to the doctor being that they have no loving idea how computers work and no onsite IT. The rest of the time I see them is usually in pokie lounges

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Elviscat posted:

I heard the left arm yesterday in conversation among my younger coworkers. As in, the cable company is bringing the WiFi to the house tomorrow. :corsair:

The one that kills me is "boomer shooter". Just absolutely can't stand the term. Boomers don't play computer games and never have! Those shooters were 100% pure Gen X!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ILL Machina posted:

I have 2 laptops, 3 monitors, a Tower, an actual 1U server, and an rpi

dangers of being a professional computer toucher

Sardonik posted:

Ok yeah admittedly 'Tower' would have been more correct, but it still somehow feels wrong. You certainly wouldn't call a NUC a tower, yet arguably that's still a kind of desktop. At what form factor is something too small to be considered a tower?

Desktop is actuall a different form factor than a tower. Desktop specifically refers to the cases that you set your monitor on top of. :eng101:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

The one that kills me is "boomer shooter". Just absolutely can't stand the term. Boomers don't play computer games and never have! Those shooters were 100% pure Gen X!

gen z says "boomer" to just mean "older than us" dont be silly now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Geriatric shooter

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Any part of a computer is basically a wizard box to my parents, particularly my dad. I spent ages yesterday setting up their new cable boxes yesterday when I was over, they finally were forced to upgrade from their ancient SD equipment. They were then completely baffled by the slightly more complex remotes that were provided. Took about an hour to finally get them to a baseline level.

My dad was quite interested in the voice control feature, the thing you hold in and you say a simple choice like "channel 102", or "the perfect storm". Later on in the night I hear him watching TV and then he's talking to the remote going "hello, please put it on some sports, or if there is any cowboy movie on that would be good, thank you", and then muttering to himself that the new thing is a "piece of poo poo" because it doesn't understand him.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any part of a computer is basically a wizard box to my parents, particularly my dad. I spent ages yesterday setting up their new cable boxes yesterday when I was over, they finally were forced to upgrade from their ancient SD equipment. They were then completely baffled by the slightly more complex remotes that were provided. Took about an hour to finally get them to a baseline level.

My dad was quite interested in the voice control feature, the thing you hold in and you say a simple choice like "channel 102", or "the perfect storm". Later on in the night I hear him watching TV and then he's talking to the remote going "hello, please put it on some sports, or if there is any cowboy movie on that would be good, thank you", and then muttering to himself that the new thing is a "piece of poo poo" because it doesn't understand him.

I told my family I refused to teach them technology like 17 years ago because all it did was make everyone involved angry because my knowledge level is so far abstracted from theirs. Like, I don't know smaller words or concepts to use, and they can't grasp what I do know

its a very nice life choice

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

:kstare:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sardonik posted:

loving incredible

Wait are you supposed to call it internet service instead of wifi this whole time? Well, I guess saying that the wifi isn't working because the internet went out does make sense actually...

https://twitter.com/TheFunny_mp4/status/1492644724578074625
https://twitter.com/ManMilk2/status/1492594347224743938

https://twitter.com/AnimalsandHumor/status/1492522840222056451

I don't understand Yakuza being on that list though

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LGBTQ+ kids will bend over backwards to claim literally anything that they like is "a gay/trans icon." It's mostly harmless.