Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think the whole point was that the plan from the start was to fire the ring before it was ready, blowing it up and destroying it, the Ark, and everything left on it - THAT'S what would kill the Flood, not the Ring's proper firing sequence.

It just didn't work, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think the whole point was that the plan from the start was to fire the ring before it was ready, blowing it up and destroying it, the Ark, and everything left on it - THAT'S what would kill the Flood, not the Ring's proper firing sequence.

It just didn't work, is all.

I mean, it mostly worked. The only Flood that survived were in what was left of High Charity and the Sentinels managed to quarantine it before they got back out.

Until a certain pair of dumbfucks came along. And went into the thing. Against all reason. And their boss's explicit orders.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Didn't the portal shut down and cut them off (and our ship in) too? It doesn't matter if they weren't killed instantly if they're trapped way the hell outside the galaxy.

Which one the note of the ship getting cut in two:
Chief took cortana with him, so she wasn't flying the ship anymore. The arbiter not only crewed that massive thing single handed, he did so so well he got it back to port after it got ripped in half.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

FoolyCharged posted:

Which one the note of the ship getting cut in two:
Chief took cortana with him, so she wasn't flying the ship anymore. The arbiter not only crewed that massive thing single handed, he did so so well he got it back to port after it got ripped in half.

Well, the portal is on Earth and he crashed the ship into the ocean, so all he really had to do was maybe a bit of steering.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

I'd be surprised if he had any control authority at all, given, again, all the engines and poo poo were in the back. He's probably just lucky he came out on the ocean side of the portal.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ablative posted:

I'd be surprised if he had any control authority at all, given, again, all the engines and poo poo were in the back. He's probably just lucky he came out on the ocean side of the portal.
The "Miracle on the Hudson" showed that if you have both the right mindset and patience, you can glide a Boeing 737 into a water landing with both engines knocked out of commission. I imagine a frigate like the Dawn would be a similar case...which raises a different question: when did the Arbiter find the time to learn about how UNSC ships are controlled? At best, the past few weeks have been the longest he's been near UNSC ships without blowing them up himself. So either the UNSC and the Covenant have near-identical control setups for their ships, or the Arbiter took time to read an operations manual during some off-screen downtime. Or he took the Master Chief approach of "gently caress it, we'll do it live!" and winged it to the end and managed to not die in a crash landing.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

The "Miracle on the Hudson" showed that if you have both the right mindset and patience, you can glide a Boeing 737 into a water landing with both engines knocked out of commission. I imagine a frigate like the Dawn would be a similar case...

Nnnnnot really? Planes are aerodynamic. And have mechanical control surfaces. And if you rip one in half, it doesn't tend to glide as well as when it's just had its engines shredded.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Geemer posted:

I'm not really sure what they even accomplished. If the Flood are a hive mind, who's to say there's not several Grave Minds?

There being multiple would mesh with the line about defeat only adding time to the sentence.

Yeah, we already know that enough Flood will naturally form a Gravemind. It doesn't matter if the current one on the new Halo goes boom, there are still other Flood running around on the Ark and that means one day another Gravemind could form.

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I think the writers of Halo 3 just plain forgot that because this plan makes no loving sense unless you assume the Flood would be left stranded on the Ark, never again a threat to the galaxy. Given that the Flood are sentient and can repurpose and sabotage Forerunner technology (see Halo 2), this is... probably not the best idea.

Gravemind can fire off the Halos, kill all the remaining humans/Forerunners who are a threat, then slowly make its way back to the galaxy on a new Halo which apparently only take a few years to make (assuming the one we saw was made from scratch) while life slowly repopulated the galaxy.

Doesn't matter to the Gravemind if it's just slime and mould. It's all biomatter and that's all it needs.

And what's a thousand year journey to something like it?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, no engines is a glider and still works fine, being ripped in half is a bigger deal. The miracle on the Hudson was a miracle because when engines go to poo poo during take off the plane doesn't have enough speed to maintain lift on that side and will try very hard to roll to that side and consequently dive into the ground.

The big thing that I was going for is that real life ships and especially warships take a ton of people just to get the thing moving from A to B. They're very different beasts from airplanes that can be handled by 1-2 people, and the scale on the spaceships here is much closer to a ship than a plane.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Doesn't matter to the Gravemind if it's just slime and mould. It's all biomatter and that's all it needs.

The whole reason the halos worked in the first place is that the Flood need things with a central nervous system to eat and died out when they didn’t have them though?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Grizzwold posted:

The whole reason the halos worked in the first place is that the Flood need things with a central nervous system to eat and died out when they didn’t have them though?
Installation 05 showed that the Flood could keep on going without such targets for thousands of years, just barely able to stay alive and fight off the Sentinels, even if Halo 2 did a poor job explaining it. It was only after Regret's forces and the In Amber Clad dropped in that the Flood were able to get the strength to overpower the Sentinels and let the Gravemind escape onto High Charity. In particular, the Flood got access to heavy weaponry (rocket launchers/fuel rod cannons, tanks and other heavy vehicles, and the In Amber Clad itself) and used those weapons to turn what was a manageable containment breach into a full-on unsalvageable disaster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Flood could also just fire off a single halo near humanity and the Covenant.

That would leave a huge chunk of the galaxy still possibly containing useful life for them to corrupt while getting rid of the only people who can stop them.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The real problem here is that "the Halos don't kill the Flood, they kill their food" is an ultra-strict interpretation of one line back in the first game. It just so happened that Halo Wars 2 really really wanted to use the Flood again, so they went with that interpretation to explain how the Flood are still around.

Halo 3's writers wanted to cap the trilogy with firing a Halo and saving the day with it. I'm okay with that. So long as they keep the Gravemind dead, which will probably last until sales dip and 343 want to appeal to their original fanbase again.

(Let's not even start on the Forerunner trilogy).

EDIT: A passing thought - the Prophets are pretty much never seen again after Halo 2, and even then only one of them. Supposedly they almost all lived on High Charity and have been effectively wiped out.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
It's Guilty Spark who says in the end cutscene for the level The Covenant that, "a tactical pulse will completely eradicate the local infestation." It's possible that whatever effect the Halos cause to wipe out sentient life is so strong at close range that it will wipe out even "dumb" life. Although I don't mind the idea that a small amount of flood survived in High Charity to be quarantined. That seems like a pretty inoffensive retcon.

Loxbourne posted:

EDIT: A passing thought - the Prophets are pretty much never seen again after Halo 2, and even then only one of them. Supposedly they almost all lived on High Charity and have been effectively wiped out.

Yeah, the Prophets are effectively extinct. There are potentially a few left who were serving on remote fleets or bases, but the Elites who would be with them tended not to take the news from the outside world well.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 13, 2022

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It's Guilty Spark who says in the end cutscene for the level The Covenant that, "a tactical pulse will completely eradicate the local infestation." It's possible that whatever effect the Halos cause to wipe out sentient life is so strong at close range that it will wipe out even "dumb" life. Although I don't mind the idea that a small amount of flood survived in High Charity to be quarantined. That seems like a pretty inoffensive retcon.

Presumably the higher level flood forms and gravemind have sufficiently complex nervous systems to be affected by the rings. The lore suggests that an unknown species was responsible for the containment breach on Delta Halo.

Or it could just be the writers scrambling when they realized that they had created an unstoppable antagonist and need to hand the heroes a victory.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The chief said its finished so the fight is finished.

Anyways it's a good thing John Halo can wear that suit in cryo so it can keep him occupied during the wait.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'll never get over the suit having a wank function.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry if this has been covered, but are you guys doing ODST again, or just linking the old one?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Sadly it does not, that was a made up piece of fiction as Brian David Gilbert was sad to report after reading every Halo novel.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Loxbourne posted:

The real problem here is that "the Halos don't kill the Flood, they kill their food" is an ultra-strict interpretation of one line back in the first game. It just so happened that Halo Wars 2 really really wanted to use the Flood again, so they went with that interpretation to explain how the Flood are still around.

Halo 3's writers wanted to cap the trilogy with firing a Halo and saving the day with it. I'm okay with that. So long as they keep the Gravemind dead, which will probably last until sales dip and 343 want to appeal to their original fanbase again.

(Let's not even start on the Forerunner trilogy).

From reading the books and the Console Lore entries The Halo Rings absolutely can kill the flood. Whether the rings are as effective against the flood as other sentient life forms at galactic spanning range is unclear.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bewilderment posted:

Sadly it does not, that was a made up piece of fiction as Brian David Gilbert was sad to report after reading every Halo novel.

Believe (that the suit jerks him off)

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Buddy

Pal

This entire series is a made up piece of fiction

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Scaramouche posted:

Sorry if this has been covered, but are you guys doing ODST again, or just linking the old one?

We're going to be doing ODST again. I'm actually going to be offlining my old videos and asking baldurk to remove it from the archive too. It feels very weird to do that to something I made, but holy poo poo the quality of my stuff from like 12 years ago is rough. 640x480 resolution, gaming headset microphone, and whatever bitrate my lovely university laptop could handle.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Believe (that the suit jerks him off)

See this is just an example of our society's fascination with sexualizing things. Master Chief is a man in his forties, he's got to worry about his prostate health. The Mjolnir armor keeps track of heart rate, brain activity, blood oxygen concentration, sweat salinity, and yeah every once and a while when he has some down time it massages his prostate to make sure everything is good there. Any potential resulting orgasms are a completely innocent medical side effect.

This is a joke post. Please do not take it seriously. Except for the part about prostate health being important. If you're in your forties or older and have a prostate, talk to your doctor.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

so

youre saying the suit pegs him

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
You know Cortana is watching right, she lives inside his suit.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Rigged Death Trap posted:

so

youre saying the suit pegs him

I'm saying it's extremely user friendly

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Bonus Content

A round-up of some secrets and easter eggs in Halo 3.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

So Siege of Madrigal shows up in Halo 2 as well.

But it shows up on a multiplayer map for some reason and is basically inaudible. Never understood that.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Mongooses? Shouldn't the plural be mongeese?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

Mongooses? Shouldn't the plural be mongeese?

Nope! It's etymologically Indic, and goose as in the bird is etymologically Germanic.

English.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Its mongi.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there's one that that had to have been planned for Halo 3 but cut it would be an inevitable buddy-cop bromance between Chief and Arbiter right? Chief wouldn't exactly be the funny one but compared to Arbiter he would be.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

So Siege of Madrigal shows up in Halo 2 as well.

But it shows up on a multiplayer map for some reason and is basically inaudible. Never understood that.

Yeah that's why I never showed that one off. I know it's there but it's not in an interesting spot and it sucks to try and hear. Although I do remember there being tons of theories about how to trigger that door to open, since the music being quiet must mean there's a way in.

Kibayasu posted:

If there's one that that had to have been planned for Halo 3 but cut it would be an inevitable buddy-cop bromance between Chief and Arbiter right? Chief wouldn't exactly be the funny one but compared to Arbiter he would be.

We did sort of get this by the end, but it really is just meaningful nods. It's very weird because I don't think they ever really have a conversation in the game. Most of the time they talk in each other's presence it's to someone else, and the few times that the Arbiter talks directly to the Master Chief he doesn't respond.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Oh, and I said I would post this article. It includes a lot of behind the scenes stuff from the very beginning of the development of the games. It does go into some Reach and Halo 4 stuff by the end, but not too much.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xwqjg3/the-complete-untold-history-of-halo-an-oral-history

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Huh, neat, I'll check that out. I don't know if it gets into it - so apologies if it does, about to read it after this - but I just read a thing on TCRF about how Halo 2 was to have ended with the Arbiter and the Chief tracking Truth to Earth and fighting and killing him in the Ark - which was at the time actually in Voi and not merely a portal to the thing. What, then, would Halo 3 have been about in this original plan? Just fighting the Gravemind/rescuing Cortana and solely on High Charity (and possibly Delta Halo?).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Huh, neat, I'll check that out. I don't know if it gets into it - so apologies if it does, about to read it after this - but I just read a thing on TCRF about how Halo 2 was to have ended with the Arbiter and the Chief tracking Truth to Earth and fighting and killing him in the Ark - which was at the time actually in Voi and not merely a portal to the thing. What, then, would Halo 3 have been about in this original plan? Just fighting the Gravemind/rescuing Cortana and solely on High Charity (and possibly Delta Halo?).

At a guess, the concept of a platform outside the galaxy might still have been planned for 3. It just wouldn't have been conflated with the Ark and our heroes would have gotten to it some other way. The plot of 3's back half might be fairly unchanged.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Loxbourne posted:

At a guess, the concept of a platform outside the galaxy might still have been planned for 3. It just wouldn't have been conflated with the Ark and our heroes would have gotten to it some other way. The plot of 3's back half might be fairly unchanged.

Yeah, from my memory I had heard that they were still going to have all the stuff from towards the end of Halo 3, but Installation 00 was going to be called "The Cradle" or "The Forge" or something of that nature. The only thing I don't understand is what the Covenant's goals or motivations would be with the Prophets dead.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
A little later than usual, but have a couple trailers to get hyped for the start of Halo 3: ODST.

'Keep It Clean' Trailer - The first trailer for the game which debuted at the 2008 Tokyo Game Show. At that time the trailer announced the game title as Halo 3: Recon, but a couple months later the title was changed to Halo 3: ODST and this version of the trailer (from the Xbox Live Marketplace) reflects that.

'The Life' Trailer - A live action trailer, alternately titled 'We Are ODST', showing the experiences of one young soldier from recruitment to being a hardened ODST.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I wondered what game you were going to do next, I played through ODST one time so i'm really interested watching you play this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
ODST stands for Orbital Drop Shock Troopers and is not actually a variation of Original Sound Track.

Yes, I have been confused by the name of the game for some time.