Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Holocaust is considerably further in the past than US election meddling, what with it being on-going. In any case, I was reacting mostly to calling meddling in an election* an act of war in a thread presently discussing the possibly imminent re-invasion of a country that was invaded less than a decade ago by the same country that apparently committed an act of war against the US. Calling election meddling an act of war completely deflates the term.

The amount of election meddling they did in US is also way smaller than the amount they did in Ukraine before turning to actual war.
It's getting closer these days, though, since Fox News now looks more like it's owned by Medvedchuk rather than Murdoch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Holocaust is considerably further in the past than US election meddling, what with it being on-going. In any case, I was reacting mostly to calling meddling in an election* an act of war in a thread presently discussing the possibly imminent re-invasion of a country that was invaded less than a decade ago by the same country that apparently committed an act of war against the US. Calling election meddling an act of war completely deflates the term.

All I'm seeing is self-serving unsound reasoning to discredit people and discourage them from criticizing things that need to be criticized.

And it's absolutely an act of war, even if bloodless. Just like hacking infrastructure.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
What you people are saying is that this can still turn into the biggest troll in world history

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One thing I do hate and see as possibly proof this is all going to end in a normal day is the they keep sending loving jets to fly on NATO air space like why? Russia isn't threatening NATO.

Jets are flying here all the time, since way before Crimea. There’s a very solid chance that Romania requested extra presence to reassure the public.

ronya posted:

Re: that bizarre 'On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians' essay in 2021, is it plausibly regarded as a passion piece from the top or is it mainly blather for domestic consumption?

I’m not sure I understand the difference between your options, but it’s not too blathering. Clearly fictional, but also clearly communicates Putin’s disdain for Ukrainian independence, and informs further developments in domestic propaganda.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

ronya posted:

Re: that bizarre 'On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians' essay in 2021, is it plausibly regarded as a passion piece from the top or is it mainly blather for domestic consumption?

If you read essays by people high up in the security hierarchy of Russia currently like Bortnikov or former people deep inside like Medvedev or Yakunin they love to put their brain worms on paper which will invariably have references to the perfidious Anglo-Saxons, gay marriage and immigration ruining Europe, Russia being a defender of Christians and civilization, the various historical slights and conspiracy theories and so on and so on. Weird ahistorical revisionism of Ukrainian/old Slavic history is a part of that

This is not a coincide, this has been a parallel current to Marxism-Leninism for the ideological preparation of the KGB and the military officers with various russian nationalist myths that were later fused with orthodox Christianity (which is itself fully infiltrated by Soviet intelligence officers) into a semi-coherent far-right ideology. People call this duginism, but the guy didn't invent it, he essentially collected what were already several ideological undercurrents with their own narratives into one. Due to the deeply authoritarian for of Putin's rule his environment went through negative selection into people who believe or were convinced of the same stuff he believes. This is also what is translated by Russian state television. So yes, the russian leadership fully believes what they write in the articles they release

Edit: this is also what people mean by saying Putin is irrational. Not that he'll take off his pants in public, but that he is completely disconnected from day to day concerns and problems of the population and is laser focused on Historical Greatness and reliving the cold war

Trump posted:

What you people are saying is that this can still turn into the biggest troll in world history

I'm on the edge same as everyone but one thing to note is that all these super detailed leaks are from the us intelligence and nothing yet from any Russian officers preparing for a war with a well dug in country

Somaen fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 13, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Past march the ground becomes muddy which makes it harder to move tanks through. Putin also temporarily loses his biggest defense against sanctions and actual consequences for his actions which is being Europe's heating supply.

They’re already kind of late this year. I’m sure the ground is still frozen in Ukraine but it’s very much already spring in most of Europe, which is super early this year. It’s warm and nice in almost all of Europe already, it’s not a frozen wasteland like Canada, like I see Ottawa is still like -20 every day and Kyiv is like 6 degrees during the day. Tbh if they shut off my heating for the rest of the year I’d be a little uncomfortable for a couple weeks? Anyway there is a strategic stockpile. I think the main issue would be for -next- year.

I also hope / suspect that it will just be intimidation tactics to support Russia claiming independence for Donbass, but who knows. It would sure make me-and I suspect most Europeans-hate Russia forever in my lifetime (or at least Putin’s), and I was ambivalent before when they took Crimea.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Jets are flying here all the time, since way before Crimea. There’s a very solid chance that Romania requested extra presence to reassure the public.

I’m not sure I understand the difference between your options, but it’s not too blathering. Clearly fictional, but also clearly communicates Putin’s disdain for Ukrainian independence, and informs further developments in domestic propaganda.

That seemsoke the most likely option. That the uptick Is to calm the economies down. Because it would seem tht things may have a serious drop in stock price if Putin invaded.i mean the EU not Ukraine
Ukraine economy would immediately collapse from capital flight.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like they don't, given that monarchs can be pretty limited in their ability to exercise power, while their source of legitimacy also being more institutional. A strongman dictatorship can evolve into a monarchy though, stability being achieved because your kid is generally less likely to bump you off than some dude not related to you.

Fake edit: I do

Are monarchies throughout history not littered with palace intrigue, usurpers, and assassinations with the next in line trying to ascend to the throne? I mean ones like Saudi Arabia where there is actual power behind it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is rasputitsa even as big of a problem for an invading force as it was during WW2? I assume most roads in Ukraine are paved nowadays and warfare would be almost asymmetrical with Russia just blowing through everything unopposed due to complete air superiority and massive equipment advantage.

GeekyManatee
Jul 12, 2011

Somaen posted:

I'm on the edge same as everyone but one thing to note is that all these super detailed leaks are from the us intelligence and nothing yet from any Russian officers preparing for a war with a well dug in country

This is what's preventing me from being at the very edge of my seat. It has the whole "There are WMDs here, trust us guys" vibe to it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

And it's absolutely an act of war, even if bloodless. Just like hacking infrastructure.

So has the USA been at war with most nations in Central and Southern America since the late 19th century?

Electoral interference is bad, obviously, but I don't think it escalates quite as far as an act of war unless it is coupled with a few other factors. I don't mean to be rude, but I would like to disagree with your assessment.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
An "act of war" nobody is willing to go to war over. Curious.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

GeekyManatee posted:

This is what's preventing me from being at the very edge of my seat. It has the whole "There are WMDs here, trust us guys" vibe to it.

Unless US intelligence are putting up a pretty complicated ruse (atleast more complicated than a hopeless powerpoint and a vial filled with cocaine), it is absolutely a fact that russia has moved a large force vest and have surrounded Ukraine from every possible angle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GeekyManatee posted:

IMO not a "we have proof of WMDs" American ploy, but rather Russian military deliberately using signals they know are being read to keep the tensions at the maximum by making it appear hostilities may start at any moment. This isn't a case of America pressuring another country into war, this is exactly what Putin wanted, to be at the centre stage of world diplomacy and force everybody to entertain him and his demands while also waiting for the West to make mistakes. Even if it isn't really working.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

steinrokkan posted:

IMO not a "we have proof of WMDs" American ploy, but rather Russian military deliberately using signals they know are being read to keep the tensions at the maximum by making it appear hostilities may start at any moment. This isn't a case of America pressuring another country into war, this is exactly what Putin wanted, to be at the centre stage of world diplomacy and force everybody to entertain him and his demands while also waiting for the West to make mistakes. Even if it isn't really working.

This is Putin basically pressure testing NATO and the west.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GeekyManatee posted:

It would be more suspect if the us was doing anything other than proactively affirming their intention to not get involved.

anyways the buildup is not really in any question, russia itself is open about it and they're the ones releasing the maps of the naval no-sail zones.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Somaen posted:

perfidious Anglo-Saxons
Given the history of the U.S. and England and their belligerent behavior, the economic Shock Therapy reforms in Russia in the 90s, and when the "Anglo-Saxons" select leaders like Nixon, Bush Senior, Clinton, Bush Junior, Trump, McConnell, Biden and Boris Johnson can you really blame them for not trusting the "English". They don't know if any future English administrations will honor any agreements made by the current ones.

Parts of the American electorate now believe in conspiracy theories about elections stolen by foreigners. It's either foreign expats from Latin and South America that stole the 2020 election or the Russians that stole the 2016 election. The isolationist America First and Brexit movements in the U.S. and the U.K. have undermined the already poor credibility of the "Anglo-Saxons" abroad. The Americans doesn't even have an ambassador in Ukraine right now.

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/1492508813118816259

quote:

Some diplomats and experts speculated that the White House had little appetite for a Senate confirmation hearing that could devolve into a debate about Nord Stream 2, a natural gas pipeline between Russia and Germany that members of both parties have criticized Mr. Biden for not opposing more vigorously. Republicans might also use a confirmation hearing to dredge up the past business activities in Ukraine of Mr. Biden’s son, Hunter, although one Senate Republican official said he was aware of no plans to do so.

Also unclear is why Ukraine might not have immediately signed off on Ms. Brink, a Foreign Service officer for more than two decades who has been posted in two other former Soviet republics, Uzbekistan and Georgia.

Mr. Zelensky’s office has consolidated much of its foreign policy activity with his chief of staff, Andriy Yermak, who speaks regularly to Mr. Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, in what has become the center of gravity of the U.S.-Ukrainian relationship. It is possible the Ukrainians prefer to keep it that way.

Ukrainian officials in recent years have also seen American ambassadors as patronizing scolds who continually issue statements and call meetings to reprimand Ukrainian elites over insider dealing and good governance failures.

And then there is the memory of the Trump years, and the dismissal of Ms. Yovanovitch. In the events leading to his impeachment, Mr. Trump, hoping to damage Mr. Biden before the 2020 election, leveraged U.S. military aid to pressure Mr. Zelensky to investigate Hunter Biden’s work for a Ukrainian energy company, according to testimony during the impeachment hearings.

In April 2019, Mr. Trump’s personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani persuaded the president to remove Ms. Yovanovitch from the position after she opposed Mr. Giuliani’s efforts there to dig up dirt on Hunter Biden. (No evidence of wrongdoing was found on the part of Hunter Biden or his father. Mr. Trump denied doing anything improper and was acquitted in his Senate trial.)

In a reminder that the position can get tangled in Ukraine’s contentious domestic politics, some Ukrainian officials encouraged Mr. Giuliani’s opposition to Ms. Yovanovitch because her focus on anti-corruption initiatives threatened their interests. The country’s top prosecutor at the time, Yuriy Lutsenko, referred to Ms. Yovanovitch in a text message to an associate as an “idiot,” according to evidence released during the impeachment proceedings.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Ah yes the "actually the unhinged beliefs of the russian security apparatus are true because Americans are bad" take, thanks for that

Did you know that Lenin was a British agent sent by them to destroy the Russian empire and bring it under the control of the Judeo-bolsheviks? It's true because England is bad and also the Iraq war

There will be no peace between Anglo-Saxons and swamp ugro-slavs

Somaen fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 13, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

What's a BEB?

Conspiratiorist posted:

An "act of war" nobody is willing to go to war over. Curious.

Read up on definitions of "War", even Wikipedia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Spoke Lee posted:

Are monarchies throughout history not littered with palace intrigue, usurpers, and assassinations with the next in line trying to ascend to the throne? I mean ones like Saudi Arabia where there is actual power behind it.
For sure. I meant it more in a relative sense. I feel like it got pretty stable for later European kingdoms/empires though, a lot of the leaders just managed to gently caress up enough that the country stopped being a monarchy.

Somaen posted:

Ah yes the "actually the unhinged beliefs of the russian security apparatus are true because Americans are bad" take, thanks for that
That's not what they said. They said the distrust makes sense, not everything else. And the lack of faith in Anglo institutions/politicians isn't limited to Russia, the EU has made it very clear it has no faith in the UK to uphold its treaties unless constantly pressured to do so, and lack of faith in America has been a topic that comes up quite often too.

Of course a large part of the reason the EU doesn't trust the UK is all the characteristics it shares with Russia, so it's not much of a defense of Russia.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's not what they said. They said the distrust makes sense, not everything else. And the lack of faith in Anglo institutions/politicians isn't limited to Russia, the EU has made it very clear it has no faith in the UK to uphold its treaties unless constantly pressured to do so, and lack of faith in America has been a topic that comes up quite often too.

Of course a large part of the reason the EU doesn't trust the UK is all the characteristics it shares with Russia, so it's not much of a defense of Russia.

Nah the russian-anglo beef goes back centuries before and isn't because of trump or George Bush or brexit

In any case anyone who uses Anglo-Saxons to refer to the 21st century English speaking states is some form of an idiot or the Russian foreign ministry employee

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sounds reasonable. I see a lot of parallels. The UK sends death squads to other countries that murder regime critics, invades their neighbors with their military and installs puppet regimes, fakes election results, the list goes on.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Sounds reasonable. I see a lot of parallels. The UK sends death squads to other countries that murder regime critics, invades their neighbors with their military and installs puppet regimes, fakes election results, the list goes on.

Errr, may I recommend to you the Troubles if you do not believe the British state would not fund, collude with and employ death squads to kill regime critics in neighbouring nations. Heck there may even have been collusion to kill random band members in the Miami Showband killings.

There is definetly form within the past 25 years of puppet regimes being installed, albeit not in neighbouring nations. There probably aren't faking election results ofc, and ofc I would not say that Russia should be doing any of that, but it is a bit weird to ignore the existence of clear refutation of your points.

I do apologise if this is rude again!

As a quick thing I do hope that there is no conflict in Eastern Europe. I am trying to keep abreast of things, but it does seem very worrying. I hope that everyone is keeping safe and well, thank you.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 13, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

Nah the russian-anglo beef goes back centuries before and isn't because of trump or George Bush or brexit

In any case anyone who uses Anglo-Saxons to refer to the 21st century English speaking states is some form of an idiot or the Russian foreign ministry employee

While Anglo-Saxons is unnecessarily specific, I find a generalised “Anglos” term to make way more sense than “former Soviet republics” as it is often used. No one has time for “English speaking countries with common law legal system”.

Not defending MGIMO rhetoric here, just saying that for discussing slice of life things it makes sense from continental European perspective. You just need to caveat it with Americans being a bit over the top, and Britons being a bit inbred.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Errr, may I recommend to you the Troubles

Sure, somehow everything is the same. There's godwinning and bugmanning (the latter when everything is just as bad as Russia).

I do apologize if this is rude, thanks!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I didn't say that it was the same, I said that there were parallels. Your knee jerk reaction to being told factual info is more than a little strange. Please reconsider that two things can be bad at the same time and I am not making excuses for any action by a lovely authoritarian state. I'm just trying to give you more information.

Like your argument is that the UK doesn't do those things, but it does and has. Why is this not something to take on board and instead something to attack?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 13, 2022

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1492819058739367939?s=21

Russian heavy military units continue to be moved towards the Ukrainian border.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A big flaming stink posted:

right, what I'm trying to ascertain is to what extent is that claim is falsifiable

I believe this is the second time I've noticed "falsifiable" being used in this context--I don't think an expectation of fasifiability is appropriate for intelligence statements, or even the vast majority of statements by political actors.

Your concern is not unreasonable. These indications being published by POTUS and the US State Department and the decision to evacuate Ukraine, are plausibly de-escalation techniques.

Diplomatically, the goal may be to delay a potential but uncertain invasion by announcing it ahead of time. Like most good diplomacy, it offers Russia a carrot--both sides get something and both sides risk or lose something. Russia can damage US and NATO credibility by proving them wrong. Don't invade next week. If this technique can be used to delay a possible Russian invasion at expense of that credibility, then it may meet certain US/State Department goals.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

piL posted:

I believe this is the second time I've noticed "falsifiable" being used in this context--I don't think an expectation of fasifiability is appropriate for intelligence statements, or even the vast majority of statements by political actors.

Your concern is not unreasonable. These indications being published by POTUS and the US State Department and the decision to evacuate Ukraine, are plausibly de-escalation techniques.

Diplomatically, the goal may be to delay a potential but uncertain invasion by announcing it ahead of time. Like most good diplomacy, it offers Russia a carrot--both sides get something and both sides risk or lose something. Russia can damage US and NATO credibility by proving them wrong. Don't invade next week. If this technique can be used to delay a possible Russian invasion at expense of that credibility, then it may meet certain US/State Department goals.

I think the US is also still reeling from failure to foresee how fast Afghanistan would fall and doesn’t want to make that same mistake.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 13, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I think the US is also steel reeling from failure to foresee how fast Afghanistan would fall and doesn’t want to make that same mistake.

Or more importantly, the blowback from not publicizing it. The US almost certainly forsaw it--the intelligence community is not a singular point of view, it's a library, probably running the gamut from "This almost certainly all bluster" to "Better see if the war started while I was asleep last night." The same thing was almost certainly true in regards to Afghanistan, but I'm sure certain messages were kept close to the vest for fear of saying them into existence. At this point, it's clear: the cost for saying "there's an attack" and then there not being an attack is much lower than the reverse, even if it does cost some credibility to do so.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1492858635290124291

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Is this more or less than usual looks like flights are still happening

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

steinrokkan posted:

But the US isn't saying "Russia has mobilized forces and could invade at any moment", we're saying "We know that Putin secretly gave the order to invade next week". That's not us reading signals, that's the US government claiming secret knowledge.

edit: and in context of some of the government's other recent claims to secret knowledge about Russia, like "They're putting bounties on American soldiers in Afghanistan!" and "They're using death rays to give CIA agents tummy aches!" which proved to not correspond to reality, one would be prudent to take this new claim with a grain of salt.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 13, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Al-Saqr posted:

Is this more or less than usual looks like flights are still happening

It’s much less than th EU or Russia and roughly the same amount as Belarus who last year hijacked a plane flying through their air space to arrest a single dissident on board.

So it’s “maybe the state could hijack us” level

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

But the US isn't saying "Russia has mobilized forces and could invade at any moment", we're saying "We know that Putin secretly gave the order to invade next week". That's not us reading signals, that's the US government claiming secret knowledge.

edit: and in context of some of the government's other recent claims to secret knowledge about Russia, like "They're putting bounties on American soldiers in Afghanistan!" and "They're using death rays to give CIA agents tummy aches!" which proved to not correspond to reality, one would be prudent to take this new claim with a grain of salt.

It is, though? It is gained from intelligence (which I meant by "signals"), which may be misleading on purpose. If Americans end up crying wolf too many times and discredit themselves in the process, it will be a win for Russia.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 13, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

steinrokkan posted:

It is, though? It is gained from intelligence (which I meant by "signals"), which may be misleading on purpose. If Americans end up crying wolf too many times and discredit themselves in the process, it will be a win for Russia.

I think you are making a perhaps unfounded assumption that the claim is actually based on good intelligence.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Gripweed posted:

But the US isn't saying "Russia has mobilized forces and could invade at any moment", we're saying "We know that Putin secretly gave the order to invade next week".

I'm sure it's somewhere in the last 5 pages, but its hard to keep up. Can you show the source for this? Most of what I can Google suggests much less authoritative language than what you're describing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

piL posted:

I'm sure it's somewhere in the last 5 pages, but its hard to keep up. Can you show the source for this? Most of what I can Google suggests much less authoritative language than what you're describing.

So more accurately, someone "leaked" the formulation he used, then the official statement denied it. Now often times "leaks" are the administration (or business, or whatever) playing games and trying to say things w/o officially saying them, while it can also be someone's own opinion that's disconnected from the official overall viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Gripweed posted:

I think you are making a perhaps unfounded assumption that the claim is actually based on good intelligence.

Not for nothing, but countries like South Korea and Saudi Arabia have started advising nationals to leave, and they don't really give a poo poo about Eastern Europe great power politics.