Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

covid elemental at least knows how to read a room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/jgriffiths/status/1492503994874593282?t=S3BgdBlA6q_lAc8BoWe6yg&s=19

China's crimes against humanity continue apace, can't believe they treat journalists like this

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/jgriffiths/status/1492503994874593282?t=S3BgdBlA6q_lAc8BoWe6yg&s=19

China's crimes against humanity continue apace, can't believe they treat journalists like this

These dolts deserve to be force fed poo poo until their livers swell up like a foie gras duck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/li_dawei98/status/1492177208009494536?t=GWPsrPmPt7B7Kh0l3CNGDw&s=19

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

lmao, he’s getting murdered in the replies

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

what the gently caress does this guy expect from aglio e olio rofl
fresh ingredients? it is literally the thing you make when the pantry is empty or you came in drunk with friends at 3 am lmfao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

lmfao what "fresh ingredients" are you expecting from fuckin' spaghetti aglio e olio? the parsley?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

pissinthewind posted:

my hottest take is even if russia invades ukraine and does biden style warcrimes on children, biden will largely stay out of the conflict aside from murderous aid or whatever libs are calling it these days and never had any intention of getting involved in the conflict, instead just intending to rile up the media to distract from thousands of dead due to inaction on covid

The new term is "life suppression tools." Do better.

OK baizuo posted:

The whole situation with the Biden admin scaremongering about Russian aggression and trying to provoke a response makes more sense in this light. As someone who used to be a lib until I started radicalizing over the last 3-4 years, I forgot about just how much resentment and animus the typical establishment lib who still believes in Russiagate feels towards Russia because they ruined Her Rightful Turn and inflicted Cheeto Mussolini on America. I used to feel the same way.

Libs lust for dead Russians as revenge for 2016. It's that simple

It comes down to liberals' politics entirely stemming from spite towards Republicans (in the same way as Republicans' politics entirely stem from spite towards liberals - so basically just the way Americans view politics). When it comes to foreign policy, it's only a question of whether a country or foreign political figure is associated with Republicans. Since Trump is associated with Putin in their minds, Russia is the Bad Guy.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 10:52 on Feb 13, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

“Increasingly eminent”

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
why are people ordering loving Italian and burned out steaks in China lol there’s so much good local food what is wrong with these people

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

You know, all the bad food looks like pretty lame versions of European food. Are the reporters actively avoiding local food and then complaining that the food sucks?
Edit: beaten, but whatever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This is a different polling firm than the last one I posted. The last one was Social Welfare Stations, this one is Pulse Asia.

The previous Pulse Asia poll was from Dec 1-6, 2021. This one is from Jan 19-24, 2022.

Relative to that previous one:

Marcos 53 to 60
Robredo 20 to 16
Pacquiao no change at 8
Domagoso no change at 8
Lacson 6 to 4
de Guzman 0.004 to 0.02 (momentum!)
Undecided 5 to 3

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

lol if avoiding local food is the root cause of all this

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

So, literal pedophile.

Nazis usually are

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Danann posted:

lol if avoiding local food is the root cause of all this
I met many American expats in China that preferred to have sub-Applebees quality Western meals to excellent Chinese food. It always baffled me because Chinese food is very popular even in the US.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I met many American expats in China that preferred to have sub-Applebees quality Western meals to excellent Chinese food. It always baffled me because Chinese food is very popular even in the US.

Real Chinese food is pretty different from the stuff common in the states though and the Chinese eat a lot of stuff western barbarians would turn their noses up at.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Cuisine is generally changed to fit local tastes and material.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it mostly comes down to a collapse of the liberal opposition in the face of right-wing demagoguery that they have no idea how to attack, because they have no argument on material conditions.

If we take the oversimplified analogy that Benigno Aquino III was our Obama in 2010, and Duterte was our Trump in 2016 (i.e. a product of the failures of neoliberal governance), one of the big alarm bells for 2022 was that during the 2019 mid-terms, the most notable argument that the liberal candidates for Congress presented was attacking Duterte repeatedly for being soft on China - since Duterte bragged about taking a jet-ski to plant a Philippine flag on the Spratlys during the 2016 debates, the liberals in 2019 then held a campaign rally on the shore of a fishing community, where they actually had a jet-ski, and then they dared Duterte to get on it. There wasn't any kind of movement analogous to the US's 2018 mid-terms where you could find at least some kind of "snap-back" effect from "progressives". It's like if the only people who ran for seats as Democrats where the former troops and CIA agents whose only argument was Russiagate.

Needless to say, not one of these people won a seats.

Heading into 2022, there was no pedigree or back-bench of liberal candidates for President - similar to how the DNC was so hollowed-out that the 2020 primary was largely a bunch of also-rans and neophytes, there wasn't really anyone on-deck to want to try and take a shot at the Presidency.

Everyone did expect Leni Robredo to be the one to do it, but my take is that there was definitely some reluctance there, because most of these expectations were built up from the fact that she was the Vice President, and was the most senior liberal in the party - it didn't look like she spent a lot of time paving the road for a candidacy the way the other candidates did, and she only threw her hat into the ring on the penultimate day of filing, possibly only after a lot of prodding and cajoling.

Her running mate, Kiko Pangilinan, was even more of a surprise: the guy was basically a shoe-in for a second term in the Senate, but apparently he was convinced to drop all that and take a shot at the VP slot, where it looks like he's going to lose (as Robredo will).

To be clear, Leni Robredo as a person is not anywhere near as odious as Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden, and insofar as liberalism is kinda crap at governing, she's also not really been responsible for actively-bad policies on the scale that the Democrats have done, but the problem remains that if you've been subjected to about six straight years of smears and mud-slinging and you refuse to really fight back hard against it (because maybe you didn't think it was going to be you that had to run for President in 2022?) then obviously you're going to be on the back-foot the whole time.

And the rest of the candidates are not really any better: Pacquiao is a Christofascist, Ping Lacson is literally a cop that's been involved in a double-murder, and Isko Moreno is "only" a bog-standard right-wing populist. These people have all picked about 10% of the vote from their geographic and ideological base (Lacson lagging behind because he doesn't have the former), but that gets us to the other problem that even if the race was just Robredo and Marcos, Robredo would probably still lose anyway just because of her specific affiliation with the liberal party - she's not going to pick up all the votes from Pacquiao, Lacson, and Moreno because those people are both too horrified at the Marcoses but too distrustful of the liberals.

_

I'm going to close out this post with a small sample of what's going on the campaign, in regards to debates.

There have been, AFAIK, about three "debates" that have been held so far - debates in quotation marks because they're not the officially-sanctioned ones and they're really more like media interviews with all of the candidates in sequence.

Marcos has refused to attend two of these, and only went to one because he knew the host was going to throw him softballs (which he did). He's also said that he may well skip most of the rest of the upcoming debates as well. The liberals have been banging their drums all day about how this makes him a coward and how "a prospective employee that doesn't even want to show up to a job interview is obviously not suited for the role". The problem here is two-fold:

1. There is no enforcement mechanism in place. Marcos is not obliged to attend a debate, and if he doesn't want to, then he just doesn't show up. The opposition can yell all they want, and they can even make the case that his refusal to attend is supposed to be a point against him as an appeal to voters, but that's all.

2. They largely fail to understand that this makes perfect sense for Marcos - if you're already polling at 50% or whatever, going to a debate is likely only going to hurt your numbers. The kind of person who consumes politics at a level that would make them be influenced by a debate is almost certainly not a Marcos voter in the first place, so it's all downside for them.

The opposition doesn't really have an answer to this.
This is very good information, thanks for the writeup.

Did the post-People Power "workers' party" politics just die off during neoliberalism? The comedy pit known as Wikipedia calls PDP-Laban leftist and I haven't the faintest clue why other than that they're trying to relate politics to the very reactionary US framework and obviously failing (almost everything else in the world is leftist when you compare it to US politics.)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i would defy anyone to tell me with a straight face they prefer american-style chinese after having the real deal. it's not like tex-mex where it has its own charms, cantonese food does everything american-style does a million times better

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

R. Guyovich posted:

i would defy anyone to tell me with a straight face they prefer american-style chinese after having the real deal. it's not like tex-mex where it has its own charms, cantonese food does everything american-style does a million times better

what is American Chinese food like? I've never been to the US (or indeed China) but always hear that traditional Chinese food is very different from the American style of it. My assumption was that Chinese food in Britain was probably closer to the American style but I honestly don't know

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

John Charity Spring posted:

what is American Chinese food like? I've never been to the US (or indeed China) but always hear that traditional Chinese food is very different from the American style of it. My assumption was that Chinese food in Britain was probably closer to the American style but I honestly don't know

If it has Western vegetables and has a cloyingly sweet sauce it is going to be closer to “American style” Chinese. That said, actual Chinese food is very diverse with a ton of regional variation. Cantonese cuisines is going to be pretty different than that of Shandong.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Feb 13, 2022

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ardennes posted:

If it has Western vegetables and has a cloyingly sweet sauce it is going to be closer to “American style” Chinese. That said, actual Chinese food is very diverse with a ton of regional variation. Cantonese cuisines is going to be pretty different than that of Shandong.

okay that makes sense. I don't think sweetness is really a defining feature of Chinese food here other than one or two dishes which seemed obviously like inventions for western palates. though I think Sichuanese cuisine is the only regional variation I could identify, I'm pretty ignorant otherwise

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Someone I know would point out a lot that pork in north america doesn't taste the same.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lostconfused posted:

Someone I know would point out a lot that pork in north america doesn't taste the same.

pigs in china have their blood let out before slaughtering I believe

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Shaun White is too likeable, I always expect the other shoe to drop and his baby panda fighting ring to be revealed.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Palladium posted:

pigs in china have their blood let out before slaughtering I believe

let's not forget ractopamine

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i feel really bad for Ukrainians their economy is getting torpedoed by the US and the one sided imposition of a no-fly zone despite them pleading to keep the airspace open in order to keep up the mass hysteria media campaign

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The BBC radio man said that the Ukrainians are totally infiltrated by the Russians at all levels so we can't share intel with them and that's why we know for sure 100% the invasion is happening IN THREE DAYS and explains why the Ukrainians don't seem to be aware of it.

Then they had an interview with a journo in Kyiv and they asked him why he's not evacuating immediately?! and he said he's so used to war and being abused by Putin that he'll be ok.

I can't imagine where the media hysteria goes next, surely this is the peak

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

https://twitter.com/mrbcyber/status/1492578578508271622?s=20&t=-FfrL7JOneIDKb0z9s1NcA

Germany & the EU openly admitting that China is realizing an alternative world system to global rule by Europerverts.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

president Xi, please save us from the Germans

i like how the Anglo Europeans are such evil they can’t let other people rise without immediately declaring them enemies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

As much as I hate to give ze germuns any credit, "systemic rival" isn't nearly as bad as the axis of evil.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
is this another textbook case of something putting money, something mouths at

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wasn’t sholz supposed to be less hawkish than merkel?! lol as always the SPD are traitors to the left and enablers of fascism imperialism

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Shaun White is too likeable, I always expect the other shoe to drop and his baby panda fighting ring to be revealed.

you missed all the sexual harassment articles in 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Al-Saqr posted:

wasn’t sholz supposed to be less hawkish than merkel?! lol as always the SPD are traitors to the left and enablers of fascism imperialism

cut them some slack, their sovereignty depends on the mood of their american handlers at that given day

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

As much as I hate to give ze germuns any credit, "systemic rival" isn't nearly as bad as the axis of evil.

They're great at sanitary language.

"A million systemic rivals were neutralized in Indonesia."

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would “systemic rival” is still a watering down of previous language.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Did the post-People Power "workers' party" politics just die off during neoliberalism?

In November 1985, Ferdinand Marcos Sr declared that he would hold snap elections. This would have been the first "real" elections that the country would have had since Marcos ran for his second term in 1969. Remember that he declared martial law in 1973 and had been ruling as an autocrat ever since. The idea was that these snap elections would allow him to claw back some kind of democratic legitimacy, in the eyes of the world if not in those of his countrymen.

As you probably already know, the election results were disputed: Marcos claimed that he won according to the official count by COMELEC, Cory Aquino claimed that she won according to the independent poll body NAMFREL, and the fallout from this, combined with the mutiny of Fidel Ramos and Juan Ponce Enrile at Camp Crame, lead to the events we now know as People Power.

In those days, the faction of the left that weren't actively insurgent (the progressive left, the electoral left, the workers and peasants), were primarily represented by the party known as the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (New Alliance for Patriots), BAYAN for short. There were some vicious debates on whether they should or shouldn't participate in the snap elections. Ultimately, they chose not to. When the Camp Crame mutiny happened, members of BAYAN were some of the first on the scene, but the liberal consensus on history is that the left forsook participating in People Power, and that therefore People Power was a liberal movement, and a liberal revolution.

I chose to begin the narrative at this point because it's a clear divergence between left and liberal politics, and a lot of what happens later on is wave after wave of liberalism (and sometimes reactionaries) disciplining the left.

Take for example the Mendiola Massacre: January 22, 1987, a group of peasant farmers launches a protest intent on marching towards the Presidential palace to call attention to the lack of action on land reform. They were a throng of about 10,000 protesters, organized by BAYAN and other left-wing parties. State security forces that were blocking and corraling the protesters, at some point in the afternoon opened fire, killing 18 and injuring over a hundred. This was under the administration of Cory Aquino, the woman who had just been elevated to the presidency after the ouster of Ferdinand Marcos Sr. The liberal was disciplining the left.

Or the Hacienda Luisita Massacre: November 2004 - the ancestral hacienda of owned by the family of Cory Aquino is occupied by striking tenant farmers protesting the duplicity enacted upon them by the government's refusal to take action on a previously-agreed-upon agrarian reform deal. By the 10th day of the protest, again state security forces that are guarding the site open fire on protesters, killing seven and injuring 121 others.

Here's a documentary on Hacienda Luisita that I'd encourage you to watch if you're interested in a deeper look at this incident: https://cinemata.org/view?m=JNqzQioOt

And here's a specific shot I want to call out:

This fire truck was used to water-hose the strikers at various times during the protests. Look at the names printed on it.
The land belonged to the family of former President Cory Aquino
The president in 2004 was Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
The House representative for the district the hacienda was in, was Congressman Benigno Simeon "PNoy" Aquino III, who would succeed Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo as President in 2010, and is the son of President Cory Aquino

It's a big club, and you ain't in it.

Or the Kidapawan Massacre: March 30, 2016, just a month away from the elections, a group of farmers block a road in rural Mindanao in protest over a lack of relief during drought conditions. The police are deployed, and at some point during the dispersal, the police open fire yet again, this time killing three and injuring another 116. The police alleged that it was the protesters that "opened fire" first when they started hurling rocks at the cops. Mar Roxas claimed that the protesters had been infiltrated by communist insurgents, and that they must have been the ones that started the violence.

Who is Mar Roxas? He was PNoy Aquino's running mate in 2010. He lost, and was bounced from one cabinet position to another over time, eventually landing as Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government (Interior Minister in other countries), which has oversight over domestic police policy. He was the liberal candidate for President in 2016, running against Rodrigo Duterte, and he was blaming the police murdering peasant farmers on communist agents. The liberals were disciplining the left.

Sidebar posted:

I want to digress for a moment here and point out that this plays a lot into how Marcos and Duterte have managed to successfully attack liberal politics in the Philippines. During the 2016 US election debate, Donald Trump would tell Hillary Clinton "you had eight years to fix it, why didn't you fix it?", and the same sort of rhetoric is deployed here.

If People Power was so dang revolutionary, why is the Philippines still so poor? If the liberals are supposed to be so great, how come your life is still so bad after we've already had two of such presidents? If they're supposed to be such decent people, why did they massacre all these protesters? And so on.

Of course, as deployed by the right, the follow-up is that therefore we should put Duterte / Marcos into power, because the liberals obviously aren't going to work out (as opposed to the Marxist take, which is that things are still so bad because it's still a bourgeois capitalist government even if you changed heads-of-state).

I'm only bringing up the most egregious incidents, but there's a clear pattern that as much as the right-wing is harsh towards the left (as they should be and always have been), there's an argument to be made that the liberals are even harsher - they need to be, to distinguish themselves from them, and when liberals are in power, the persecution of the left suddenly becomes more rational.

Duterte might claim that he wants to shoot the rebels in their genitals and make wild accusations about how they're "brainwashing" university students, and the police under Duterte tend to be disbelieved whenever they come up with a story that this environmental activist was found with an M-16 under their bed to justify their arrest, but if Robredo ever becomes President, I guarantee you that this script is going to flip and people will start giving the police every benefit of the doubt that this activist really was a communist ("they were wearing a Mao shirt!") and that it was the communists that broke the cease-fire and won't you look at this video from the 1980s where Jose Maria Sison claims that teachers unions and women's groups are the "legal front" of the communist party and therefore it's not McCarthyist to call congressional representatives "communist sympathizers" because it's technically true (never mind that there's never been any proof of such a connection ever since the 1980s so we have to keep citing just that one video forever and ever).

And it's this dynamic that killed off the electoral left. They're lumped-in with the militant left, and made to suffer a death by a thousand cuts. They still hold something like six seats in the House as of 2019, but that's already one less than their historical high-point of seven seats.

Finally, this is also why I find the left's decision to embrace Robredo's candidacy in the name of stopping Marcos to be so distasteful. In the event that Robredo manages to win, these people are not going to give the left anything. Not a loving thing. And in the more likely event that she loses, they're still going to be blamed for why she lost, like they already were blamed for 2016. And maybe that means my personal politics are out there in the wilderness with no real representation anymore, but so be it.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The comedy pit known as Wikipedia calls PDP-Laban leftist and I haven't the faintest clue why other than that they're trying to relate politics to the very reactionary US framework and obviously failing (almost everything else in the world is leftist when you compare it to US politics.)

PDP-Laban was arguably a left-of-center party once upon a time. Prior to 2016, they had like one Senate seat and maybe a couple of local offices. The thing about political parties in the Philippines is that they're largely empty vessels with maybe a skeleton crew of ideologues, that then just get taken over by a central figure whenever one of them wants to run for higher office and/or gets into higher office.

That's what happened with Duterte: he and his backers wanted to plot a run for President, and PDP-Laban was on the shelf, so they dusted it off and had him run under that party's name. Wikipedia still lists it as leftist because that's what it was in the 80s and they never bothered updating the official line and wikipedia doesn't really dabble in the difference between what a party advertises itself as, versus how it practically governs, which leads to the hilarious mismatch.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i for one look forward to China counter-categorizing Germany as ‘A Lifetime Bitch’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it’s technically accurate, which is impressive