Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

2 has the sin of constantly loving with your party comp in a game that is highly dependent on party comp. Oh character X has to go to the bathroom, uh now I need someone who can launch, blades with the right elements, level them up a bit, buy them better equipment.

In other rpgs it can force you to mix things up with lesser-used characters, and that can be fine since in most rpgs your performance isn’t so mechanically restricted by your party makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm replaying XB1 (Definitive Edition) for the first time in a decade, and man

this game still rules.

Even knowing all the plot beats and vistas, I'm still not skipping anything and taking my time exploring. Feels great. What a good game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

X is just XBC but you can select your skills, overdrive replaces character gimmicks and there's double/triple cooldowns, though. Like it's built on XBC in a similar way that Torna is to XB2. Skells aside.

Healing via soul voice mechanic was exceptionally bad. Granted, XCX's combat is so broken that once you figure out the mechanics of it you don't need healing because Elma or Cross just erase their target in 5 seconds but until then it can be annoying to not be able to just have someone heal when you need them to.

Pants Donkey posted:

2 has the sin of constantly loving with your party comp in a game that is highly dependent on party comp. Oh character X has to go to the bathroom, uh now I need someone who can launch, blades with the right elements, level them up a bit, buy them better equipment.

In other rpgs it can force you to mix things up with lesser-used characters, and that can be fine since in most rpgs your performance isn’t so mechanically restricted by your party makeup.

If your party can pull off a driver combo elements and everything else is secondary.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Healing via soul voice mechanic was exceptionally bad. Granted, XCX's combat is so broken that once you figure out the mechanics of it you don't need healing because Elma or Cross just erase their target in 5 seconds but until then it can be annoying to not be able to just have someone heal when you need them to.

I got through the entire game never once touching the Soul Voice menu.

It was bad, yes.

The combat was fun with how busted you could make the main dude, though! Mine sounded like Fiora.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is definitely why the other two games start you out with Sharla and Nia; both those games start you with a healer as a buffer until you figure out how to make self sustaining party compositions while XCX does the complete opposite and instead has all the healer characters unlock a bit later and has you start off with an attacker and tank, and asks you to just figure out the combat.

XCX's foot combat is absolutely my favourite in the series though, the melee/range separation of arts was great and secondary/tertiary cooldowns were a great concept to add on, and just being able to pick passive skills without the weird hoops of the other two games was incredibly nice. XCX combat with a dedicated healer either in the initial party of 4 or unlocking earlier, and with a simplified augment system is definitely ideal for me though.

It also generally feels the smoothest and best handling exploration, what with the jump height, sprint speed, tracker ball, lack of fall damage, complete lack of screen transitions or loading aside from two small indoor areas, and probes basically being secret area hunting with more tangible rewards, which generally makes it the game that plays to Xenoblade's strengths the most for me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i dunno, i like the existence of fall damage and some limitations on where you can go as it actually enhances the feeling of places like the ridiculous ski ramps on valak mountain and in tantal

similarly diving into a water puddle 200 meters below you wouldn't be nearly as thrilling if missing it didn't have any effect

the areas do need to be designed with this stuff in mind of course, but as long as they are, impressive heights feel a lot more impressive when you can theoretically die by falling off.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hope they give the characters a dash and a huge jump like the guys in XBX

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Amppelix posted:

i dunno, i like the existence of fall damage and some limitations on where you can go as it actually enhances the feeling of places like the ridiculous ski ramps on valak mountain and in tantal

similarly diving into a water puddle 200 meters below you wouldn't be nearly as thrilling if missing it didn't have any effect

the areas do need to be designed with this stuff in mind of course, but as long as they are, impressive heights feel a lot more impressive when you can theoretically die by falling off.

idk, I felt like skells performed the function of gating areas off through height perfectly fine so needing to also gate downwards height through fall damage wasn't really needed. Fall damage can definitely make stuff feel more impressive but I won't lie a decent amount just feels really bad if you fatfingered off a cliff and then needed to backtrack to it for a while (Kana Peak is the absolute Worst in this regard).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Polderjoch posted:

This is definitely why the other two games start you out with Sharla and Nia; both those games start you with a healer as a buffer until you figure out how to make self sustaining party compositions while XCX does the complete opposite and instead has all the healer characters unlock a bit later and has you start off with an attacker and tank, and asks you to just figure out the combat.

XCX's foot combat is absolutely my favourite in the series though, the melee/range separation of arts was great and secondary/tertiary cooldowns were a great concept to add on, and just being able to pick passive skills without the weird hoops of the other two games was incredibly nice. XCX combat with a dedicated healer either in the initial party of 4 or unlocking earlier, and with a simplified augment system is definitely ideal for me though.

It also generally feels the smoothest and best handling exploration, what with the jump height, sprint speed, tracker ball, lack of fall damage, complete lack of screen transitions or loading aside from two small indoor areas, and probes basically being secret area hunting with more tangible rewards, which generally makes it the game that plays to Xenoblade's strengths the most for me.

I have such mixed feelings about X. I loved exploring the world and the foot combat. I absolutely loved the side quests. They're the best part of the game.

I hated pretty much everything else. The music sucks, barring a few exceptions, the party system sucks steaming balls, the story is hot garbage, and Skell combat and movement is awful and terrible for how much the game makes you work for them. Skells just completely ruin the exploration, and don't even get me started on the awful flying music with the minute-long intro that starts over every time you so much as tap the jump button.

Christ that game is such a hot mess.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Silver Falcon posted:

I have such mixed feelings about X. I loved exploring the world and the foot combat. I absolutely loved the side quests. They're the best part of the game.

I hated pretty much everything else. The music sucks, barring a few exceptions, the party system sucks steaming balls, the story is hot garbage, and Skell combat and movement is awful and terrible for how much the game makes you work for them. Skells just completely ruin the exploration, and don't even get me started on the awful flying music with the minute-long intro that starts over every time you so much as tap the jump button.

Christ that game is such a hot mess.

Also the post-game becomes an MMO-tier grind where you need like 30 of multiple items for a single end-game augment.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

BisbyWorl posted:

Also the post-game becomes an MMO-tier grind where you need like 30 of multiple items for a single end-game augment.

At least they let you buy the specific drops you need from a menu, that was a good decision

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chronojam posted:

At least they let you buy the specific drops you need from a menu, that was a good decision

With all the tickets you definitely got from doing the online-only guild quests which never disconnected 30 minutes into most sessions and never logged back in

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i like the idea of x's online where you can hop in and do some random tasks to help out rando players.

on foot combat is bad because the cool laser swords are garbage tier weapons that are nearly impossible to reasonably overdrive with.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

TurnipFritter posted:

on foot combat is bad because the cool laser swords are garbage tier weapons that are nearly impossible to reasonably overdrive with.

Empirically false, I 100%ed the game using sweet laser swords that could easily maintain a permanent overdrive that also made me reflect 5 of the 6 damage types.

Honestly part of what I liked so much about the character building in X is that while every build is going to be going for infinite overdrive, there's a bunch of different ways to achieve it and the gear augments are flexible enough that it doesn't feel restrictive, it's just another aspect of your build to customize.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The online being down probably makes it impossible to get the currency for those "buy any material in the game" things though, right?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Xenoblade X music owns. The New LA themes and tyrant battle music are perfect in particular.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Alxprit posted:

The online being down probably makes it impossible to get the currency for those "buy any material in the game" things though, right?

The online is still up, I think. Miiverse was used for the online chat, but the rest of the online components worked fine once it was gone.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Can confirm that online still works. Rip Miiverse though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It was a wonderful time, with Miiverse and the 3DS's Swapnote. Modern consoles wish they had it that good.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
If you don't mind some soft modding of your Wii U then XCXGecko basically let's you bypass the end game grind. I'm surprised someone went through all of the effort to make the program, but it's great for replaying the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's similar multipliers and tweaks in the general 'tweak' settings of CemU as well, if you're playing it on a PC.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The Nintendo UK website has more deets about XBC3.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-games/Xenoblade-Chronicles-3-2168340.html

Seems to be 6 characters only. RIP Zeke and Poppy 2.0

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's similar multipliers and tweaks in the general 'tweak' settings of CemU as well, if you're playing it on a PC.

Good to know. I’ve got it running on CEMU and the game looks fantastic.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Good to know. I’ve got it running on CEMU and the game looks fantastic.

How much trouble is it to set up and how beefy does my PC need to be? I’ve been wanting to do this for a while.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

glassyalabolas posted:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-games/Xenoblade-Chronicles-3-2168340.html

Interesting. I get the impression that we will be switching between the two protagonists at specific points as the story shows the perspectives from each nation. Like they will have separate three-person parties that will unite later in the story. Might be cool or they might botch it horribly lol

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Saxophone posted:

How much trouble is it to set up and how beefy does my PC need to be? I’ve been wanting to do this for a while.

I set it up a year ago and cannot for the life of me remember how I did it.

As for the second question: my computer is an I5 10600K, 32 GBs RAM, and an RTX 3070. However my card is new and I was also playing Xenoblade and Zelda BoTE just fine on an older GTX 1080. Right now I’m playing in 4K internal resolution on a 1080P monitor and I get a full 60fps with no dips.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

glassyalabolas posted:

not(?)Vandham featured prominently in the trailer and isn't listed here, so they're almost certainly not mentioning every main character. Don't write off The Zekenator just yet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think you can really conclude much from a promo character list considering Xenoblade 1 managed to kill off one of the leads an hour in AND bring her back as a top-secret final character 50 hours later

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That, and who knows how supplementary/guest/whatever characters will be handled. But even if it's no-poo poo only those as core party members, it'll be fine with six right up till seven returns. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saxophone posted:

It's not too hard to set up and I ran it at 1080 native on a 1060 6GB with a i5-7500

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

I don't think you can really conclude much from a promo character list considering Xenoblade 1 managed to kill off one of the leads an hour in AND bring her back as a top-secret final character 50 hours later

It also looks like you might be in two parties of 3 at the start since they mentioned two characters as being leads and everyone else seems tied to one or the other.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Playing Torna for the 1st time since I don't think I'm ready for an 80 hour replay of 2. So much better having set blades and no gacha.

I like the Blades as a way to have different character builds and being able to swap between them on the fly. The blade skill tree is neat and it's an interesting way to gate certain parts of the map/game with field skills (some I'll never find again unless they're put on the map later in the game). That said, I hate how long it takes to harvest because it needs to tell me which Blade is doing it and their level every single time. There's only 1 blade for each harvest type in Torna and you can harvest it regardless of field skill level so just give me the drops and spare me the animation. I think I like the Blade skill tree better in concept than practice.

I hope field skills are gone and we're back to XC1 and X with just having collectables being automatically picked up in XC3. It's such a good way to breadcrumb special areas on the map and it was great zooming around in a Shell hoovering up collectables in X.

I'd be fine with a less complicated combat system in 3 vs 2 and Torna. If they keep Elemental Combos just make a combo for every combination. Waiting for the AI to bring out the Blade you want sucks. I also don't like having so many Driver combinations rely on switching out party members in Torna, but I guess they needed a good solution when you have so few arts per person without making every art contribute to the combo.

I am enjoying the characters and story in Torna so far. Just got Minoth and started the desert. Makes me actually want to replay 2 with this new perspective on the antagonists and some of the Blades you get to use.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

field skills are a great idea imo when the party isn't randomly rolled from a pool of 30, i would very much like to keep something of that sort

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Oh, the map does actually keep track of field skill locations I can't do yet. That's amazing then.

On the negative side gently caress character introductions. I just got to Auresco and adding everyone to the community is taking forever.

Edit: Over 40 new character introductions on the community screen.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 16, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Field skills are fine, but they ideally should've been calculated from all of the blades you have, not just who's equipped. (maybe with the requirements changed around to "you need a blade that's at least this level" rather than "you need enough blades to reach this level")

Because there's nothing fun about having to swap in 6+ blades to beat the required skill check only to immediately unswap them. If I can swap them freely then forcing them to be in the active party is just pointless busywork.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Field skills could've been fine but in the main XC2 game they were just busy work and tedium. They could've gotten rid of the skills and just had specific rare blades needed for certain (blade-quest related) things and nothing of value would've been lost.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Field Skills would have been fine if they were balanced around the blades you get through the story, but they don't line up with them all, you HAVE to go outside of the guaranteed blades to get most of the later ones (you might even have to do this just to progress the story at certain parts but I'm not sure and can't be asked to confirm).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Climbing the MGS3 ladder to the first skill check then having to jump off to redo my blades. Climbing it again and getting to the second skill check and having to do it a second time while also keeping the first one.

I still have a grudge against that ladder.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yes we all agree they sucked in 2 which is why i said they would be a fine addition if the party didn't work like it does in 2, which is the case in 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Interesting. I get the impression that we will be switching between the two protagonists at specific points as the story shows the perspectives from each nation. Like they will have separate three-person parties that will unite later in the story. Might be cool or they might botch it horribly lol

We've seen in the trailer segments that have a four-person party (specific set-ups being Noah, Lonz, Sena, and Mio in one segment and Mio, Noah, Taion and Eunie in another).