Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Any thread opinions on Wander on the Quest 2?

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2078376005587859/

In H3VR news, I really wanna know what the heck Anton is up to with all these sosig costumes. Newest devlog is exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Substandard posted:

Is there anything like beat saber mixed with the old audiosurf game or something where I can just feed it .mp3s? I'm not particularly good at Beat Saber yet and a lot of the custom tracks I've found are expert level and much too hard for me.

I want to chill out and VR rhythm game with my own music.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/826540/Audio_Trip/ supports custom songs, not heard it mentioned before on here.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/641960/BOXVR/ can generate workouts to your songs, not quite the same as BS though.

There's another Synth Riders clone but I can't remember the name of it atm, supports custom songs.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

Medal of Honor VR: the 170GB Experience

MOH VR is like, it would be a guilty pleasure of mine if it didn't inexplicably take up 170GB.

I honestly had fun with the campaign, it felt like it was leaning towards Wolfenstein a bit with the joy you could take in shooting nazis. Sure it was schlock, but it was fun shlock.

There's a bunch of little things that just drag it down though, like your hands not working sometimes, the constant fades to black, etc.

I also played on easy mode because haha, I bet it loving suuuuucks on anything else. ESPECIALLY the bomber mission

It's also really weird because when you start it up it's all up it's own rear end like it actually does that thing most PARODY video games do where it goes "WELCOME! To MEDAL OF HONOR......Above and beyond..." LIke it's some grand thing but no it's really not!

Nuts and Gum posted:

The very first time you get your hands on a gun you can murder a countryman and it fades to black like an old SWat game, which made me laugh for a long time.

I did this immediately too. It never lets you do it again either, which is double hilarious.

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 12, 2022

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Space engine is fine but janky and there’s a learning curve. And expensive for what it is. Elite dangerous is pretty cheap and you don’t have to play the game, you can just hop into a ship and fly around. But the game is fun and we’ll worth trying.

Elite dangerous has no motion controls. It’s really designed around being played with a HOTAS but gamepad or even keyboard and mouse are workable as well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lol I wanted to get really hosed up in VR so I was looking into getting Detached but saw multiple posts that specifically my VR headset (HP Reverb G2) used to work but an update completely killed its controllers' ability to detect interactions with the game in any way by and the devs for it literally told someone "we're not going to fix this, just refund the game". That's...fine (not really) for anyone who just bought it, but I can't imagine how upset I'd be with that response if I had bought it a while ago and was enjoying it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Elite also has a pretty significant learning curve.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Never played “Praey for the Gods”, but if you have, there is a VR mod for it. Early stages but it’s being worked on

https://youtu.be/kqGIscwN6vc

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Argue posted:

What's the most visually spectacular outer space experience I can have on Quest 2/Rift? In Outer Wilds the stars are pretty obviously a texture on a sphere or something like that, and other games I've played aren't really much better. Are there any that look fantastic? Doesn't have to be a game.

Space rendered realistically looks unrealistic; it's just not something our brains are used to seeing.

As mentioned, Elite Dangerous and Space Engine both have good-looking space, but they always get the same complaints: Space looks flat, the planets look too small.

There's an early demo, Titans of Space, that people liked at the time for really impressive looking space visuals. But ironically it only achieves them by making the stars and planets many thousands of times smaller and closer than they actually are.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

central dogma posted:

How is Alyx so good? Why don't you make more games, Valve?

They pushed out anyone interested in making new games instead of finding new ways to monetize

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Argue posted:

What's the most visually spectacular outer space experience I can have on Quest 2/Rift? In Outer Wilds the stars are pretty obviously a texture on a sphere or something like that, and other games I've played aren't really much better. Are there any that look fantastic? Doesn't have to be a game.

In addition to what others have said, Lone Echo 1&2 look fantastic, floating in space around saturn

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The X rebirth VR is also pretty good for VR space immersion, as is No Man's Sky.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Argue posted:

What's the most visually spectacular outer space experience I can have on Quest 2/Rift?

cosmic sugar is fun for this.

c355n4 posted:

Any thread opinions on Wander on the Quest 2?

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2078376005587859/

I've never considered wander to be anything but a worse Google Earth VR that isn't free. But that's just based on the store page. if you can airlink just get Google Earth VR

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 12, 2022

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Elite also has a pretty significant learning curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa0b2Kd2xhU
This is probably the best video about the new player experience in Elite.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa0b2Kd2xhU
This is probably the best video about the new player experience in Elite.

The trick is to sucker people to enjoying a portion of the game and then when they least expect it you drop the engineer grind on them :getin:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
No Man's Sky VR really feels like it got the planet scale thing right. When I hopped over to play Elite, the planets felt like toy models. Needs some perspective tweaks or something.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I feel like nothing feels truly huge in VR ever since they started setting the focus plane to 2 meters on headsets

back on the first rift dev kit you focused to infinity and huge stuff felt properly gigantic to me, unfortunately it meant that anything too close to you was uncomfortable to look at

so 2 meters is probably the best trade-off with current tech but I'm very excited for varifocal to show up in consumer devices because I think it's what's needed for huge stuff to feel properly epic

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TIP posted:

I feel like nothing feels truly huge in VR ever since they started setting the focus plane to 2 meters on headsets

back on the first rift dev kit you focused to infinity and huge stuff felt properly gigantic to me, unfortunately it meant that anything too close to you was uncomfortable to look at

so 2 meters is probably the best trade-off with current tech but I'm very excited for varifocal to show up in consumer devices because I think it's what's needed for huge stuff to feel properly epic

Wanna talk about VR messing with scale? I got gal gun VR for cheap with some other games, Japan being horny for school girls is really gross on it's own but it's just kinda how all japanese media is since forever, but god playing it in VR is some sort of nightmare where the girls are all like 4 feet tall and then during gameplay the way they scale in levels are like 3 feet tall sometimes so the already gross "highschool girls who must be like 14 if you think about what ages mean" end up additionally strongly registering as some sort of hosed up toddler. Extreme uninstall speedrun

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Even a lot of 360 "VR" video makes people look either huge or hilariously small.

TIP posted:

but I'm very excited for varifocal to show up in consumer devices because I think it's what's needed for huge stuff to feel properly epic

Would this be able to change focus/blur on things based on what the user is looking at? Or is there some other aspect that's supposed to help with scale perception?

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 13, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

mutata posted:

Would this be able to change focus/blur on things based on what the user is looking at? Or is there some other aspect that's supposed to help with scale perception?

varifocal lenses are combined with eye tracking to see where the person is looking and adjust the focus plane to the correct distance

it gets rid of what's called the vergence accommodation conflict, where your eyes are getting conflicting cues about the distance of an object

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I wonder if that new "high end" headset facebook is building will finally have varifocal tech. They have been teasing that in their labs for like, 5 years now, and with that headset supposed to have eye tracking, I wonder if it will finally be there.

Verifocal is like the one big VR tech advance I want to see with my own eyes. Better resolutions, better HDR, better FOV, etc I know how that all will be and can picture from a spec sheet, but varifocal i need to see. Preferably with a demo that lets you turn it on and off at the press of a button.

EDIT: for anyone new to VR I guess I'll link this video (from 2 friggin' years ago) if you're reading and curious what 'varifocal' and 'vergence-accommodation conflict' is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWA4gVibKJE

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 13, 2022

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am playing Wanderer on PC VR (Steam) and am having an issue which I think may be a bug.

Mild spoilers:

I need to find several keys to repair a typewriter-like device. I know the keys should come from Wardenclyffe, and indeed *one* of the several keys was there, but the rest are... missing?

I have searched Wardenclyffe high and low for the remaining keys but simply have not found them. I am concerned this may be some kind of despawn bug that will prevent me from progressing.

Any tips? Can I "reset" Wardenclyffe somehow maybe?

EDIT: In case it helps anyone else, I found Wanderer's discord and asked this question. Apparently puzzle items sometimes not spawning is a known issue. The solution is to go to chapter select and restart the current chapter.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 13, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Origami Dali posted:

No Man's Sky VR really feels like it got the planet scale thing right. When I hopped over to play Elite, the planets felt like toy models. Needs some perspective tweaks or something.

Biggest space 'wow' moment I've had was the first jump in no man's sky where it dropped me in an asteroid field right next to a planet

Really a holy poo poo moment

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Tried drunken bar fight while sitting and I was an angry ben shapiro punching dudes in the dick because they haven't implemented some sort of height variable you can use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Tried drunken bar fight while sitting and I was an angry ben shapiro punching dudes in the dick because they haven't implemented some sort of height variable you can use.

To be fair, it's old enough that fixed Roomscale-playspace games were briefly A Thing before devs realized they could build games to scale from sitting to roomscale instead of locking in one specifically.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

central dogma posted:

^^Alyx is to VR as Half-Life 2 was to FPSs is how I see it.
Alyx has the immersion and feeling of being there in the game that I was wishing existed when I played HL2 with a Novint Falcon. I would say it's to VR more like Wolfenstein 3D was to FPS games. For anyone who has ever enjoyed an FPS, there's the reason you should spend hundreds of dollars to strap a brick to your face*.

* - disclaimer: unlike a brick, you have to plug it in

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Speaking of height in VR, something I like a lot about VRChat is that it actually lets a tall person like me understand what it's like to be small. Being small isn't just like being crouched lower to the ground all the time, everything is proportionately bigger. You can't see what a cat or dog sees by laying prone on the ground. If you were that small it wouldn't just mean higher ceilings, it'd mean distances would seem further, every dimension would feel larger to you.

I mean I guess that's common sense, but until you look through the eyes of a little humanoid ferret or whatever you don't really get it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

GWBBQ posted:

Alyx has the immersion and feeling of being there in the game that I was wishing existed when I played HL2 with a Novint Falcon. I would say it's to VR more like Wolfenstein 3D was to FPS games. For anyone who has ever enjoyed an FPS, there's the reason you should spend hundreds of dollars to strap a brick to your face*.

* - disclaimer: unlike a brick, you have to plug it in

Ehhh... Alyx was okay.

I mean, most of the joy of a shooter in VR is literally just it being a shooter in VR. You just have to not gently caress up the controls, and it just works. Compound, Payday 2, Into The Radius (when it behaves) are all great, and they're not hampered by annoying puzzle solving.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

My wife just got her own Quest 2 and we're having a problem using it with Airlink at the same time I use my own Quest 2. The mirror on her screen shows the game running flawlessly but she's getting an extremely low, single-digit fps in the headset if I'm using Airlink at the same time. It's fine when I'm not using Airlink. We are using separate routers and computers. They're all in the same room and right next to each other though and the routers are connected to share an internet connection. The performance in my headset rarely sees a hiccup. Any ideas what could fix this?

Edit: I have confirmed we're definitely using different wifi connections on our headsets too.

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 13, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, but are both the routers on the same wifi channel?? You're saturating the air with a ton of radio waves, hombre. If they're the same brand router just have their tabs open and see if there both still on default channels

While you're in your router settings upgrade firmware and turn on wifi 6 because it's not by default "on" in a lot of newer routers

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 13, 2022

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

forest spirit posted:

Yeah, but are both the routers on the same wifi channel?? You're saturating the air with a ton of radio waves, hombre. If they're the same brand router just have their tabs open and see if there both still on default channels

While you're in your router settings upgrade firmware and turn on wifi 6 because it's not by default "on" in a lot of newer routers

That was 100% it. Wife and I just played the entirety of a course in Walkabout without a single hitch. TYVM!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hyperlynx posted:

Ehhh... Alyx was okay.

I mean, most of the joy of a shooter in VR is literally just it being a shooter in VR. You just have to not gently caress up the controls, and it just works. Compound, Payday 2, Into The Radius (when it behaves) are all great, and they're not hampered by annoying puzzle solving.

Yeah, I don’t get why people feel Alyx is some massive revelation and a brilliant VR game. I thought it was just ok. Payday 2 VR is just better.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

I wonder if that new "high end" headset facebook is building will finally have varifocal tech. They have been teasing that in their labs for like, 5 years now, and with that headset supposed to have eye tracking, I wonder if it will finally be there.

Verifocal is like the one big VR tech advance I want to see with my own eyes. Better resolutions, better HDR, better FOV, etc I know how that all will be and can picture from a spec sheet, but varifocal i need to see. Preferably with a demo that lets you turn it on and off at the press of a button.

EDIT: for anyone new to VR I guess I'll link this video (from 2 friggin' years ago) if you're reading and curious what 'varifocal' and 'vergence-accommodation conflict' is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWA4gVibKJE

I've been waiting for foveated rendering for forever, because it might allow for greatly improved graphics, but varifocal might be the real game changer. Even if games still look like crap, with varifocal immersion is just much improved.

clemhfandango
Jun 20, 2020
So what's the consensus on Zenith? Worth the dosh? Never played any of the other VR MMOs

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

IIRC last year at Connect Carmack said that varifocal turned out to be harder than they thought.

One thing that is supposedly coming with the premium Quest 2 is pancake lenses. So no need to wear glasses when using headset.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TIP posted:

You're the first person I have seen say this and I agree 100% but thought I was going mad thinking this way.
In the DK1 there was no chromatic aberration, and even though it was pixelated as gently caress the lenses has a clarity and sense of scale that I haven't had since, it all vanished with the DK2 somehow.
Edit: the vertical pov was better too

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 13, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Minecraft VR really sticks out to me as a game that nails the sense of scale. Climbing a giant mountain and looking down really does make you feel like you’re up high, even though the world doesn’t look realistic, the heights and scale do.

I don’t even like Minecraft and it was still very impressive.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Alyx was brilliant because it wasn't just a shooter in VR. It had all sorts of small, thoughtfully placed touches to heighten the feeling of being somewhere else. Most VR games are defined by a few elements extrapolated as far as they can go. Alyx uses a broader pool of elements taken exactly as far as they need to reinforce a broader design.

It's a fundamentally different approach that feels more deliberate in tone and pacing. That's why it stands out to so many people. Of course, not everyone has to like it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Asgard's Wrath is really good at scale too, since it has the god view bits where you're seeing an entire area from above before jumping back down to actually navigate through it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Not VR specific but RE4 reminded me of the importance of separating save points and not overwriting it every time.

I forgot that the Killer7 hand gun is more like the butterfly where you never get ammo for it but I sold my other two handguns and then saved it. Now, I am going to have to buy my red and pay to tune it up all over again.

drat this game! (For real, I have not played this game in so long and it is so much fun to go back into this world but through VR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Alyx was brilliant because it wasn't just a shooter in VR. It had all sorts of small, thoughtfully placed touches to heighten the feeling of being somewhere else. Most VR games are defined by a few elements extrapolated as far as they can go. Alyx uses a broader pool of elements taken exactly as far as they need to reinforce a broader design.

It's a fundamentally different approach that feels more deliberate in tone and pacing. That's why it stands out to so many people. Of course, not everyone has to like it.

Alyx also totally nailed that 'holy poo poo, you are INSIDE of some AAA sci-fi movie' feel for me. It was just so immersive and the level of detail is extraordinary.