Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Given that the $7500 tax rebate presumably won't be available for these, it would have to be a pretty hefty discount.

the dealers price them so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

It's great about making an entrance until you have to get in or out of the car. Have you ever seen anyone do that? Roof is low, the carbon fiber rocker panel is approximately 1ft tall and 1ft wide and there is not much clearance with the scissor doors. It's actually kind of hilarious watching someone realize how absolutely not cool they look getting out of the car as they thought they were going to make an impressive entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO_WANvvEFg

With Style!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37kVzZJaJ1M

First thing I thought of during the previous discussion about getting in and out of cars.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Finger Prince posted:

Just like I think a lot of people missed the point of the Z8 when it came out, the same goes with the i8 and my personal prediction is that it'll see a similar kind of collector trajectory in 20 years time. It's not a car for drag racing Teslas and Porsche turbos away from stoplights, or for setting nurburgring track times. It's a car for making an entrance in, for turning heads, and for touring around and sipping gas doing it. And at 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, it's not like it can't get out of its own way.

I remember when the original 8 series was hella cheap (like 6 years ago) and I wanted one so badly but was too broke to mess with cars beyond my E36.

The i8 is basically the hybrid version of that, with way shittier ergonomics.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

lol loving hell, how was this not reported on sooner

Remember that Tesla got owned in another civil suit over racism just a few months ago.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58807212

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lol ok

Man I should just ask for my $500 back

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
When was your original build estimate?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

When was your original build estimate?

October, but some folks on reddit locally had the same and already got theirs.

It’s not a huge big deal but I wonder if it is worth leaving the deposit on there for all that time, presumably by december there will be other options I’d be interested in (oh man I hope so!)

Orty
May 14, 2007

Going through all the current and upcoming EV options they all seem to have things they do well, and things that are just lacking or weird choices in general. My list (not in any particular order) has been cut down to VW ID.4, Toyota BZ4x, or Nissan Ariya.

Don't see the Nissan Ariya discussed much but it taking so long doesn't help. What do the thoughts on it tend to be? Somewhat feels like pricing is a bit high and just like the BZ4X is turning out to be, something tech wise that is years behind now.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

President Beep posted:

Just had a look at my local Kia dealer’s website. They have four EV6es in stock and it looks like they’re not doing dealer markups, which is cool.

When I got my Niro from them I noted the absence of a markup on my car and they told me they typically only do that for higher-end stuff. Kind of surprised that the EV6 apparently doesn’t fall into that category for them.
Quick check on Autotrader in my area is everyone is way above MSRP except for the higher trims which probably give higher margin at the start.

In other news I was worried about my battery life during winter and constant 20s to 30s but today was in the high 60s / low 70s and as I drove home I started out with 182 range but got home with a combined range / miles driven of over 200. My m/KWh went from 3.7 on Tuesday to 4.3 today. The computer kept adjusting as the warmer temps kept the battery in the sweet spot.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 13, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just got off the phone with my father. I spent 30 minutes walking him through using a DCFC and answering his questions about it.

Tomorrow he's going to drive the LEAF down to Santa Fe and see if he can charge it. Big day! Very exciting.

I find this endearingly cute.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hmmm the Hyundai dealership nearby but not the one I was planning on getting the ioniq5 from has the same specs with the matte grey on the lot.. But the only problem is this dealership are kind of assholes with adding stuff like "theft protection" that is a real pain to get them to take off of invoice so I don't even want to deal with them.

I should go testdrive it though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

They’re all model 3s that the developer’s idiot son had crashed :haw:

Look it said auto pilot don’t blame me cause it don’t work .

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Sat in an EV6 at the dealership today. The seat/headrest feel fine. Dealer had a 10k market adjustment on top of the normal horseshit additions, so asking over 70k for it. Were also telling people poo poo like "you can charge at a Tesla station." But I like the car a lot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder what major manufacturer will be the first to break from the dealership model or is it just too useful and lucrative for them? Because these price adjustments are just pure scumbaggery.

I’m not sure if that is a thing in Canada and I presume if not it’s only because there is some obscure law preventing it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GM made a very early effort to break the dealership stranglehold way back in 2000. I don’t think it went well.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2588590/gm-to-begin-selling-oldsmobiles-online-in-web-site-pilot-program.amp.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dealerships are legally protected, large, and powerful

like one of the big publicly held dealer groups, AutoNation, has a market cap of seven billion dollars

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It seems more likely to me that Tesla will gradually move to a dealership model themselves, rather than other makers abandoning it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Sat in an EV6 at the dealership today. The seat/headrest feel fine. Dealer had a 10k market adjustment on top of the normal horseshit additions, so asking over 70k for it. Were also telling people poo poo like "you can charge at a Tesla station." But I like the car a lot.

This is why I only assemble my vehicles from components discarded by others, a la junkyard wars.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you get any color other than Digital Teal you're a dope

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I would 100% do teal. Bring back 90s teal though for real.

Also I saw a Mach-E in an orangey-yellow. GT model?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For the Ioniq I am torn between the matte grey, teal and blue. All good options imo.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

bird with big dick posted:

If you get any color other than Digital Teal you're a dope

This, though they don't seem to bringing in a whole lot of this color

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gwrtheyrn posted:

loving. Dealers.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Charles posted:

I would 100% do teal. Bring back 90s teal though for real.

Also I saw a Mach-E in an orangey-yellow. GT model?

Yeah it's called Cyber Orange but it's pretty yellow. Mac and cheesey.

I think for 21 it was only on the GTs but for 22 you can get it on any Mach-E.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man I love the look of the Ioniq. I wish it were cheaper! I'll probably be the proud owner of one in five years or so when they hit the used market.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Teal is like the only color dealers around here are bringing in of the top trim. Said matte grey is also on its way. The teal is very different from direct sunlight to the indoors lighting. Don't think I would get it because I am boring and need to advertise that fact in all my choices, but it's objectively a well executed look.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

priznat posted:

For the Ioniq I am torn between the matte grey, teal and blue. All good options imo.

After watching the KIA instructional video on how to care for the matte paint job, I was supremely happy my parents didn't get the matte grey. That looked finicky as poo poo with all the care restrictions not just on products to use on it but in how to touch it and dry it and such.

I'm just glad I won't have to hear them complain their brand new car has smooth patches on the paint after a year because they touched it wrong while drying, which might be something to keep in mind.

The matte looks great on a dealer lot brand new but... in a year of use without crazy babying?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Tom Guycot posted:

After watching the KIA instructional video on how to care for the matte paint job, I was supremely happy my parents didn't get the matte grey. That looked finicky as poo poo with all the care restrictions not just on products to use on it but in how to touch it and dry it and such.

I'm just glad I won't have to hear them complain their brand new car has smooth patches on the paint after a year because they touched it wrong while drying, which might be something to keep in mind.

The matte looks great on a dealer lot brand new but... in a year of use without crazy babying?

Yeah there's a reason cars do not come in matte colors. Lol if anyone in a winter climate gets a matte car

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Kirios posted:

Man I love the look of the Ioniq. I wish it were cheaper! I'll probably be the proud owner of one in five years or so when they hit the used market.

:same:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

priznat posted:

I wonder what major manufacturer will be the first to break from the dealership model or is it just too useful and lucrative for them? Because these price adjustments are just pure scumbaggery.

I’m not sure if that is a thing in Canada and I presume if not it’s only because there is some obscure law preventing it.

Could I use the Costco car buying service to go tell the dealership to pound sand when it comes to a dealer markup?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

This is true, I don't think I'd get the matte after thinking about it, we don't get a lot of snow and ice but sometimes, and I'm not really one to baby my car anymore.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
One thing I can kind of sense driving a Tesla in the midwest USA is that it seems like it is somewhat less of a target on the roads when it is a least a little dirty. Salt, dust, mud, etc seems like sunscreen that protects you from most jerks. A little bit of salt spray or dust and it stops being a political statement in their eyes and goes back to just being a car. So I definitely need a finish on the car that doesn't require constant maintenance and special care.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Get a wrap that makes the car look a little dirty

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
We were at Target today and I noticed a model 3 out in the parking lot. I assume it belonged to the guy I saw inside who was wearing the tesla windbreaker. Gave him a little wave when we made eye contact. Hope he noticed my Kia trench coat.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Superbowl poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUC1QA5gRcU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4QI0VzbkHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bZYqFsU72Y

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 14, 2022

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
XC90 phev- great idea or the greatest idea?

family of 4, 1 in a car seat, 1 in a booster

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The EV6 commercials owned. God drat I want that car.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoNMz_OV_dI

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The BMW Zeus commercial was really bad, I'm glad it wasn't for the I4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Indiana_Krom posted:

One thing I can kind of sense driving a Tesla in the midwest USA is that it seems like it is somewhat less of a target on the roads when it is a least a little dirty. Salt, dust, mud, etc seems like sunscreen that protects you from most jerks. A little bit of salt spray or dust and it stops being a political statement in their eyes and goes back to just being a car. So I definitely need a finish on the car that doesn't require constant maintenance and special care.

I drive a Tesla in the Midwest and have never once had anyone act weird around it. They seem really common around here too. Maybe if you have a plaid S and someone recognizes it that might be notable, but ime a 3 is just another car to most people.