Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Shining Force let you have like 12 units out. But each unit could really only do a few things so it made sense.

I haven’t played any of the Disgaea games after the first one but I seem to remember having a lot of units and also extremely specific units like “blue mage who can only cast ice.” But I think Disgaea might be an outlier of the genre.

Eventually Disgaea characters can learn every skill in the game and become any class they want to (simultaneously). I love that series, but they're not well balanced. It's all about grinding to become invincible and killing every enemy on the map with one spell.

FFT still has the best fight balance that I've experienced. Characters are tanky enough to take a few hits, positioning is important, and the way you build your characters is meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Junpei posted:

I'm not surprised but I am a little disappointed that Frederica is already getting hit with the "Mary Sue" label in some circles

Anyone who uses this term outside of a fanfic context doesnt know what it means, and even inside of that context it gets thrown around too freely

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man I can't find a way to pre-order the special edition anywhere.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Junpei posted:

I'm not surprised but I am a little disappointed that Frederica is already getting hit with the "Mary Sue" label in some circles

Uhh she's almost exactly the opposite of that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Uhh she's almost exactly the opposite of that.

Yeah, you can safely ignore people who say that. "Mary Sue" morphed into "Woman I do not like" for most of these folks. They do not understand what it means or how to use the phrase properly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why is her hair pink tho

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Because the equivalent of whatever poor, downbeaten race in their kingdom has that hair color and she's a child of a maid with a royal.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
That's not even the most confusing thing someone said in that circle! One guy said that he had no faith in the story's ability to have grey morality and just assumed that it would be another Good Democracy vs Evil Empire story and I'm just like

not only is that reductive and too early to say, but it's also not even objectively correct? There are no democracies or empires to be found-Glenbrook is a kingdom, Aesfrost is a dukedom/duchy, and Hyzante is a theocracy?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Junpei posted:

That's not even the most confusing thing someone said in that circle! One guy said that he had no faith in the story's ability to have grey morality and just assumed that it would be another Good Democracy vs Evil Empire story and I'm just like

not only is that reductive and too early to say, but it's also not even objectively correct? There are no democracies or empires to be found-Glenbrook is a kingdom, Aesfrost is a dukedom/duchy, and Hyzante is a theocracy?

I don't get how they can't read.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Reading is difficult. Why do that when you can make things up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Junpei posted:

I can kinda see where this point is coming from given there are likely to be story options where you end up on the outs with all three of the nations in some way and you are the lord of a demesne that literally makes it’s hard decisions by voting. It’s not a true democracy but you could see in the context of the story where one might assume that it could represent it in the way Aesfrost represents a Libertarian ideal.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After reading people's opinions of the demo in other places it's weird that there's people who apparently like playing SRPGs, but hate everything about SRPGs.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Twelve by Pies posted:

After reading people's opinions of the demo in other places it's weird that there's people who apparently like playing SRPGs, but hate everything about SRPGs.

It feels like people want some idealized version in they had in their heads about FFT rather than what the game actually was. Triangle Strategy seems to be exactly what we've been shown so far so who knows?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Despite being a relatively small genre, there is a lot of variety in SRPGs mechanically and not everything is going to appeal to everybody.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WrightOfWay posted:

Despite being a relatively small genre, there is a lot of variety in SRPGs mechanically and not everything is going to appeal to everybody.

Yeah that's true. I don't particularly care for the Disgaea brand of SRPG but I get what appeals to other people.

My only real concern for Triangle Strategy is how deep it ends up being by the end. Octopath seemed really cool at first but felt really shallow once I dug into it a bit. I hope this is more Tactics Ogre style where your choices change your story path. It could be that all the morality/value stuff just determines who stays in your army by the end of a linear story.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

This game could really use some ambient sound. Wind, waves, birds etc. All the beautiful environments would come to life.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Oh mechanically, sure. I'm talking more about people who are apparently annoyed that this game has a story instead of just saying "Here are dudes, kill the dudes."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I will say triangle strategy is a far slower start than fft.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eh, I dunno about that. FFT has you sit through Azalam talking about "What is truth?" for a while with unskippable text, then you watch the opening movie, then you get Ovelia praying at the church and talking with Agrias for a while before getting put into a battle where everyone is AI controlled except Ramza so 90% of your time is just watching the computer do poo poo without any input from you. Then Blame Yourself or God, and we get l i t t l e m o n e y while it talks about how the recent war has made the commoners pretty upset with the nobility. Only then do you get into your first actual battle.

This, you get like a minute and a half or so of "There are three kingdoms, they had the Saltiron war, now they are at peace," Serenoa walking through town and getting congratulated on his wedding, and then Frederica's ship arriving at the port and her getting attacked by bandits before the first fight. I'd say in a lot of ways that's actually much faster than the time before you get into your first real fight in FFT. I guess if you only care about something like "Did they fix the camera?" then it's a little more time to get to the point where you can do that than you could in FFT, since I think you just have to wait for Agrias and Gaff to go before you actually get control of Ramza for a single turn and can do something like check how the camera rotates, before having to wait for another minute for the computer to play with itself and you can do something again.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I would actually prefer characters to be more proscribed in terms of their roles, rather than being tabula rasa and able to move into any jobs you want. FFT offers a lot of freedom, but that comes with a ton of exploitability and broken mechanics.

That State of the Arc ep 1 touches on it a little. The opening chapter is the hardest part of the game, and beating it as a teenager was insanely rewarding and I couldn't stop thinking about it. It was one of the first games I was old enough to not rage-quit when the going got tough, which made it a formative experience, so there's definitely a level of nostalgia at play. The rest of the game, while excellent, doesn't offer up the same level of challenge due to the powers and abilities being OP and generally accessible.

Post-script: I want to acknowledge that there are definitely hard battles later in the game. One that springs to mind immediately is the battle on the rooftops with Elmdore and his lady friends.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hey, out of curiosity, I went to Hyzante and got the ice mage guy. I know if you go to Aesfrost you get an archer, but isn't Hughette already an archer? How do they differ from her? What's their focus/specialization?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh mechanically, sure. I'm talking more about people who are apparently annoyed that this game has a story instead of just saying "Here are dudes, kill the dudes."

I don't think I have seen anyone being annoyed that the game has a story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sand archer is a foot soldier who throws down traps.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

not a bot posted:

I don't think I have seen anyone being annoyed that the game has a story.

quote:

this triangle strategy demo thinks im gonna read 20 mins+ of text boxes before the first battle. this studio loving hates my guts

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Post-script: I want to acknowledge that there are definitely hard battles later in the game. One that springs to mind immediately is the battle on the rooftops with Elmdore and his lady friends.

Was that the FFT fight where you had an AI member on your team and you lost if they died?

I was so low level when I got there that three times out of four they'd go first, rush the enemy, and get killed. All before any of my characters got a turn.

In the 25% chance I got to provide input turn two did not go much better.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Not sure that means they hate the idea of a story as well as hate everything about SRPGs, even if the quoted message is wrong about how the game starts. It's fine to object to wordiness, even if it's presented in a bit silly way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Yes, lovely exposition dump text boxes are the only way a videogame can possibly convey a story or narrative.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Go home, Khanstant!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I wonder if it's going to be the same seven ride-or-die characters holding the voting coins for the whole game, or if plot events and your choices have the potential to change who exactly has a seat at Serenoa's table.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh, I dunno about that. FFT has you sit through Azalam talking about "What is truth?" for a while with unskippable text, then you watch the opening movie, then you get Ovelia praying at the church and talking with Agrias for a while before getting put into a battle where everyone is AI controlled except Ramza so 90% of your time is just watching the computer do poo poo without any input from you. Then Blame Yourself or God, and we get l i t t l e m o n e y while it talks about how the recent war has made the commoners pretty upset with the nobility. Only then do you get into your first actual battle.

This, you get like a minute and a half or so of "There are three kingdoms, they had the Saltiron war, now they are at peace," Serenoa walking through town and getting congratulated on his wedding, and then Frederica's ship arriving at the port and her getting attacked by bandits before the first fight. I'd say in a lot of ways that's actually much faster than the time before you get into your first real fight in FFT. I guess if you only care about something like "Did they fix the camera?" then it's a little more time to get to the point where you can do that than you could in FFT, since I think you just have to wait for Agrias and Gaff to go before you actually get control of Ramza for a single turn and can do something like check how the camera rotates, before having to wait for another minute for the computer to play with itself and you can do something again.

Triangle Strategy is undeniably slower paced than FFT or TO. It has a higher cutscene to gameplay ratio and is content to spend a lot of time on setup.

In the first 3-4 hours of TS, you have fought some bandits, seen your father retire, lost a tournament, gone on a diplomatic mission and been introduced to like 40 named characters. There's a lot of time spent on world building and politics but it's all still just the prelude to whatever the core conflict of the game will be. In a similar amount of time in TO, you've joined a resistance movement to free your oppressed people, stormed a castle to rescue your leader from execution, been sent to liberate a town and maybe got your rear end kicked by a necromancer. In FFT, even ignoring the in medias res princess kidnapping, you're chasing down a bandit group that has kidnapped a nobleman (FFT has a lot of kidnappings), met the world's biggest rear end in a top hat and discovered the location of the bandit's hideout.

TS isn't necessarily worse for being slower but it definitely is slower.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Junpei posted:

Hey, out of curiosity, I went to Hyzante and got the ice mage guy. I know if you go to Aesfrost you get an archer, but isn't Hughette already an archer? How do they differ from her? What's their focus/specialization?

The other guy has no Hawk, he has a high damage shot ability, and he can set traps on the battlefield.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

I wonder if it's going to be the same seven ride-or-die characters holding the voting coins for the whole game, or if plot events and your choices have the potential to change who exactly has a seat at Serenoa's table.

I mean, maybe I'm expecting too much of it's FFT/Tactics Ogre DNA but Roland almost definitely has a path where he goes hardcore villain after some form of falling out with Seranoa.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

I mean, maybe I'm expecting too much of it's FFT/Tactics Ogre DNA but Roland almost definitely has a path where he goes hardcore villain after some form of falling out with Seranoa.

I doubt this, as Roland seems to be the one who represents Morality. Though I can for sure see him leaving if he finds your actions too shady.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Yes, lovely exposition dump text boxes are the only way a videogame can possibly convey a story or narrative.

lovely exposition dump text boxes are badass

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The first demo had a decision about whether to hand over Roland to enemies or not, with not handing him out leading into a fight. Handing him over might lead to Roland being very very upset towards you.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I doubt this, as Roland seems to be the one who represents Morality. Though I can for sure see him leaving if he finds your actions too shady.

I guess Law route Vyce makes sense, sure.

not a bot posted:

The first demo had a decision about whether to hand over Roland to enemies or not, with not handing him out leading into a fight. Handing him over might lead to Roland being very very upset towards you.

Dude was all for the handoff though, he hates the idea that he could get Wolffort Demense leveled just for his own sake.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We don't know if the other path is Roland centric when you're buddies with the antagonists from the first demo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the first Demo I think it takes place after visiting Hyzante as the Ice Mage is part of the Team.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the first Demo I think it takes place after visiting Hyzante as the Ice Mage is part of the Team.

The first demo was if I remember right chapters 6 and 7 of the game, wheres as the latest one is the first 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lmao you couldnt even go 10 minutes