Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
War Queen usually isn't funny, and so this coming through was hilarous

quote:

We engaged in a ceremony to accept a common purpose and agreement of truth in future endeavors. A commitment to unified goal alongside one another. We-…” She searched the translator between her antennae, scrolling through the defining terms suggested. Surprised as one was quickly located, she nodded at the suitability. “We became married.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tutbad: what a great cliffhanger.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Congrats on the new knife, Selkie.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Congrats, Selkie! (BtDEM won the Stabbies this year, everyone)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prac guide chapter

what an effort

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: Somehow I knew that Daring Pyromancer was going to be the first to die.

edit: I feel like being a "physical DPS" in this setting is basically a recipe for death since they're the most likely to be "side characters" in a party.

vvv I felt bad for Sidonia and Christophe

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 12, 2022

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Big big chapter in PracGuide. Big RIP for all those Named that died, though I didn’t care about any of them as much as Roland.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nooooo I'm drunk and clicked the spoilers before reading Feedly..... Hopefully I'm so drunk i don't remember

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Prac guide Bummer, the one Named that I've wanted to die through the entire story does not appear to have died.

Yara being the actual big bad was semi expected but interesting to see what path the next chapter will take and how they're going to stop the angel artifact.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Does anybody still follow Savage Divinity? If so, is Rain out of his 2nd (3rd?) coma yet? I enjoyed the story well enough but I just lost all interest in month after month of side povs of characters I couldn’t care less about.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PracGuide: I kind of wish we had gotten something from Dead King's perspective before he died. I wonder if he was really as calm as he acted. It seems kind of weird for him to have not been at least somewhat concerned, since the situation was an obviously unusual and unprecedented one with some weird players involved (like Catherine with her highly unusual Name-focused Name, or Masego's Name focused on actual gods/miracles, plus the "wild card" of Yara being involved). Yara also mentioned other people reaching the Dead King's tower in the past, and I'm wondering how in the world they managed to pull that off, since it took the entire continent in this situation. I guess maybe with a healthier Procer going on the offensive they'd have more troops (since in this case they had already been dealing with Dead King's offensive for a long time, losing a lot of people in the process).

Btw, I forget if the Dead King interlude from the Patreon has been made public, but it explains the sparrow that comes out of him at the end (or at least its significance).

edit: I'm also wondering if the Fetters will end up being used with Yara. I'd be very surprised if they were never used.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 13, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
lmao, 40000 words from pirateaba about the horrors of war

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A big flaming stink posted:

lmao, 40000 words from pirateaba about the horrors of war

It's barely even worth mentioning anymore. You could tell me pirateaba wrote any number of words in half a week and I'd believe you. What's that, an entire three volume series written in 4 days? Yeah, sure, sounds like pirateaba.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

navyjack posted:

Does anybody still follow Savage Divinity? If so, is Rain out of his 2nd (3rd?) coma yet? I enjoyed the story well enough but I just lost all interest in month after month of side povs of characters I couldn’t care less about.

I thought you were referring the last coma incident and then I checked and no, there's another coma!

Man the character progression is glacial enough when the protagonist is awake

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I still find it baffling how Savage Divinity started gritty and went out of its way to showcase how messed up that world was and then turned into... slice of life harem + menagerie? I haven't read it in a long time so it may have changed since then.

A couple webnovels I've been enjoying and not sure if they were posted here:

Memoirs of Your Local Small-time Villainess https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47995/memoirs-of-your-local-small-time-villainess
Editor ends up as a villainess in the game she had been playing. Interesting that she has no memories of the new persona and she inherits skills like [Conceited] and [Overbearing] that make it very difficult to act outside the villainess mold.

When Immortal Ascension Fails Time Travel to Try Again https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36597/when-immortal-ascension-fails-time-travel-to-try
Lady incarnates into Xanxia story and spends 1000 years butting her head against the harem protagonist and his harem members but then he interferes during her ascension and causes it to fail. She finds herself back as a child and decides to keep him from becoming a harem protagonist this time. She is justifiably angry and has no patience for Xanxia bullshit but ends up being a surprisingly good (and crazy) big sister.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I thought you were referring the last coma incident and then I checked and no, there's another coma!

Well I guess that answers that lmao

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just finished the most recent TWI Patreon chapter and it was really good!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Interesting things going down in the most recent (Patreon) Outcast In Another World chapter. I think this is the first significant fight against a strong humanoid that they've had, though I'll be surprised if it actually goes to the death. I'm not sure how they could reasonably prevent the Merfolk king from killing some of their party, since his level will probably let him resist a taunt from Vul'to (though I don't think any of the main party will end up dying). Maybe they'll manage to stop the fight early somehow.

I imagine that fights against other people will be significantly harder to write than fights against (more or less) mindless monsters, so I'll be curious how it ends up.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kyoujin posted:

When Immortal Ascension Fails Time Travel to Try Again https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36597/when-immortal-ascension-fails-time-travel-to-try
Lady incarnates into Xanxia story and spends 1000 years butting her head against the harem protagonist and his harem members but then he interferes during her ascension and causes it to fail. She finds herself back as a child and decides to keep him from becoming a harem protagonist this time. She is justifiably angry and has no patience for Xanxia bullshit but ends up being a surprisingly good (and crazy) big sister.

Seconding this one. It's quite amusing and I'm kind of ashamed of myself for forgetting about it. It's only problem is a comparably slow update rate and no patreon to subscribe to for bonus chapters.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Kyoujin posted:

Does the MC ever get more likeable? I stopped following after a few chapters because the MC is very conceited and yelly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/litrpg/comments/srckya/my_huge_tier_list_web_serials_gamelit_cultivation/

Mostly not terrible, tbh.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Mostly.

The second entry, though...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's quite popular.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Even most of the Reddit comments are raking him over the coals for MoR which is pretty lol

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I started reading Worth the Candle because I like TUTBAD, and I definitely enjoy TUTBAD more. I got up to the arc with the sentient prison and soul-mage inmate but I don't know if I'll keep reading. This arc has just been one long string of increasingly bad decisions. And really, the decision making leading up to the end of the previous arc was pretty bad too. Juniper is, I think deliberately, so self-centered and arrogant that he's borderline unlikeable, but I could tolerate that as long as he was also behaving reasonably.

It's been interesting to see where some of the influences in TUTBAD come from. Readers immediately seizing on the anyspoon makes a lot more sense now that I've seen the anysword in action. However, I'm not sure I'd actually recommend it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LLSix posted:

I started reading Worth the Candle because I like TUTBAD, and I definitely enjoy TUTBAD more. I got up to the arc with the sentient prison and soul-mage inmate but I don't know if I'll keep reading. This arc has just been one long string of increasingly bad decisions. And really, the decision making leading up to the end of the previous arc was pretty bad too. Juniper is, I think deliberately, so self-centered and arrogant that he's borderline unlikeable, but I could tolerate that as long as he was also behaving reasonably.

It's been interesting to see where some of the influences in TUTBAD come from. Readers immediately seizing on the anyspoon makes a lot more sense now that I've seen the anysword in action. However, I'm not sure I'd actually recommend it.

juniper is both more and less unlikable than the story wants you to think he is, imo

like yeah he does a bunch of stupid poo poo and has unwarranted confidence in himself; but he also gets poo poo on constantly by the other characters for things that aren't actually bad decisions, or for trying his best but failing. often it simply comes across as him being a convenient target for everyone else to vent their insecurities on, particularly amaryllis and fenn

i think everybody is pretty unlikable in WtC except for grak, to the point that i'm not really interested in TUTBAD until it finishes because the author's already driven one promising story way off the rails

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 14, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i definitely feel like juniper insists the aerb is a simulation out of a desperate desire for control over his environment, its why he throws a tantrum, for lack of a better term, when he is denied "main character agency"

also started reading it after TUTBAD and im enjoying it myself, they just Cut his stupid head off

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

juniper is both more and less unlikable than the story wants you to think he is, imo

like yeah he does a bunch of stupid poo poo and has unwarranted confidence in himself; but he also gets poo poo on constantly by the other characters for things that aren't actually bad decisions, or for trying his best but failing. often it simply comes across as him being a convenient target for everyone else to vent their insecurities on, particularly amaryllis and fenn

i think everybody is pretty unlikable in WtC except for grak, to the point that i'm not really interested in TUTBAD until it finishes because the author's already driven one promising story way off the rails

it's supposed to be uncomfortable and painful because Juniper is a stand in for the (in universe) author's regrets and self-hatred. he's in hell, effectively.

i might be the only person in the world who feels this way about worth the candle but what can you say lol. i liked it. but it's extremely rough, and if you don't like it, don't force yourself because it's really long

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

When I first read WtC I really enjoyed the first 30-50 chapters, because I was expecting the stuff with Juniper being a poo poo person and the D&D campaign being really poorly-run and mechanics being half-assed to be intentional touches building towards something. In retrospect, though, I felt that the ending fumbled things so hard that it retroactively skunks even the earliest chapters that somewhat worked.

Although even if WtC ended well, I honestly don't think I could recommend it to someone after the just staggering amount of rape plotlines.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I really liked Worth the Candle. Reading some of it made me, at times, very uncomfortable, especially the reveal about a certain often-mentioned disastrous campaign. Not at all what I was expecting from an often-recommended LitRPG - a genre I've switched to as pure escapism in times where things are kind of hard.

It felt good to be challenged a bit. And I thought the ending was perfect for the book. For me Worth the Candle shows that this silly new LitRPG genre can be more, can be 'real Literature'. Even though I normally hate this distinction and woulnd't be caught dead reading anything considered 'Literature', it's just something more then just another forgettable by-the-numbers drivel.

On the other hand, I kind of like TutBad but it's really to short yet to really judge. And I dislike the day reset mechanics, maybe I read to fast but I just can't figure out how it works if two chrononauts are involved at the same time.

MonikaTSarn fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 14, 2022

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Chrononauts don't all reset the day at the same time. They each have a chance to reset the day in chronological order. Lola's turn comes up sooner than Alfric's. So if they both tried to reset the same day, Lola would get a chance to do it first, and would start the day over will all the memories of the undone day, while Alfric would lose all of his memories of that day, just like everyone else did.

Larry Parrish posted:

it's supposed to be uncomfortable and painful because Juniper is a stand in for the (in universe) author's regrets and self-hatred. he's in hell, effectively.

i might be the only person in the world who feels this way about worth the candle but what can you say lol. i liked it. but it's extremely rough, and if you don't like it, don't force yourself because it's really long

I also liked Worth The Candle. It could certainly stand to be paced better, but all the main cast was interesting to read about, and I always like it when stories push themselves as hard as that one did.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 15, 2022

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Wait. He fell into a depression coma or.. something then he did it again? Jesus christ.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Blinks77 posted:

Wait. He fell into a depression coma or.. something then he did it again? Jesus christ.

Not just again. Frequently. He gets knocked unconscious in the first few chapters, then again the first time after leaving the village. Then again. Then he gets knocked out and possessed by his spirit twin or something. I stopped reading around then, but it sounds like he fell into at least two more comas after that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
BtDEM non-patreon Elaine's entire stance on slavery versus death is incomprehensible and that it was as cabalism that pushed her over the edge instead of the hosts being trapped in their own bodies with no control and the only viable option being to retreat into a class up is mind boggling. Her then leaving an entire city of hosts to die that she can easily save is bizarrely out of character.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I don't know all about that. I don't agree with her stance on slavery vs life, but that doesn't mean her stance incomprehensible. Her oath is very hardcore anti-killing, and she has lived by that oath through some really intense stuff. And since this is her first experience with Shimagu, it makes sense that she does not fully appreciate just how bad they are. I did not see the cannibalism as triggering her because she thinks cannibalism is worse than absolute slavery so much as it triggered her because it made it clear how absolute the slavery really was.

As for why she bailed, I don't think she could have saved the city. Skills wise, sure. But she was super traumatized after killing thousands of people. In blades in the dark terms, she marked the last stress box and traumaed out of the mission.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Elaine was literally raised in a slave keeping society.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I don't know all about that. I don't agree with her stance on slavery vs life, but that doesn't mean her stance incomprehensible. Her oath is very hardcore anti-killing, and she has lived by that oath through some really intense stuff. And since this is her first experience with Shimagu, it makes sense that she does not fully appreciate just how bad they are. I did not see the cannibalism as triggering her because she thinks cannibalism is worse than absolute slavery so much as it triggered her because it made it clear how absolute the slavery really was.

As for why she bailed, I don't think she could have saved the city. Skills wise, sure. But she was super traumatized after killing thousands of people. In blades in the dark terms, she marked the last stress box and traumaed out of the mission.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Elaine was literally raised in a slave keeping society.

Her being traumatized is a cop out. She lives in a brutal society and her entire life's path is based on accidentally killing someone and then vowing that it won't happen again. That's barely a step away from allowing an entire city of innocent people to die. It's not against her oath, but it sure seems out of character.

There's also next to no acknowledgement of her leaving everyone to die. It's not like she really debates it, she just runs away. She runs away because she's tired after going a murder streak, meets up with the elves who specifically ask her to stay and try to save the hosts because they can only kill everyone which they're going to do, and then she says no without a second thought and leaves. It's a pretty stunning back track for a character who is constantly diving into situations to heal people.

The slaves in Remus aren't even remotely comparable on a scale of suffering and she's from Earth. I seem to remember her outright rejecting slavery while acknowledging that she doesn't have the power to change Remus. That isn't true here, she has the power to change the life of every host in that city and free them.

Maybe I'm over emphazing the Earth viewpoint, but I really can't see anyone from what appears to be a western country accepting shimagu slavery as remotely acceptable and I think most people would view it as worse than death as it appears that they never let you go.

Just to be clear, I actually thought the storyline was interesting up until the part that she bails. The shimagu potentially not being evil was an interesting twist as it applied it her Oath and she evolves her beliefs and Oath based on what she find, though shimagu being entirely evil is a bit of a downer.

asur fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 15, 2022

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

btdem: Also Elaine didn't know for sure that the hosts were enslaved. Her oath wouldn't let her kill sapient beings just on supposition.

Edit: I do agree her leaving is very abrupt and somewhat out of character both as a healer and a sentinel.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 15, 2022

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So you know how people here were talking about how Delve moves incredibly slowly?
Well the author is going from updating once a week to updating on a 3 weeks on, 1 week off schedule.
So that story should reach its next plot point somewhere around 2025.
(and I'm not judging them for reducing speed to prevent burning out, but I just thought it was funny)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
/\/\/\ lol

Worth the Candle is brutal and weird as gently caress and definitely Not For Everyone, but I love it for its ambition and scope. The sheer amount of ideas and stuff in the serial is staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Prac Guide continues to be great.