Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gonna watch an anime and laugh at the extremely furious nerd who's mad at anime

AARD VARKMAN posted:

anybody watch any good movies lately with acting and filmmaking in them?

Yes, I've seen anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the last movie I watched was the croods two which was about how white people suck. I watched it because I'm trying to keep up to date on all nic cage movies and it seemed less miserable than willys wonderland

edit I guess it was actually more specifically about how yuppies in California suck and water politics

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I watched No Country For Old Men and The Muppets (2011). Pretty good extremely similar films

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Have you seen the rise of skywalker

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

poisonpill posted:

Have you seen the rise of skywalker

im going to chop ur head off with a lightsaber

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

im going to chop ur head off with a lightsaber

:mods:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

I watched No Country For Old Men and The Muppets (2011). Pretty good extremely similar films

I rewatched ballad of buster Scruggs the other day and every time I watch it I develop a little bit more appreciation for it (this is part and parcel to the coen Bros movie watching experience ime). though it is especially indulgent as far as their films go

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Moola posted:

Cowboy Beebop is really good

skip straight ahead to the live action adaptation, imo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I’m telling Jeffrey that a mod threatened to chop of my head with a lightsaber and turn me into a force ghost and one of the force ghosts looked at me

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ProperCoochie posted:

please, i'm begging, stop talking about japanese cartoons filled with naked children making naked children noises and watch the trailer for the new Jordan Peele movie

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1492770521049550851?s=20&t=J_ZcSPDmS3BBeZ4im8ZEuw

Gonna assume, like all his films, it's a better trailer than a movie.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the more i think about Us, the less generous i feel about it

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
My favorite part of Us is how my barber at the time found out I like horror movies and proceeded to tell me the entire plot to both Us and Suspiria after I told him I hadn't seen either of them

I eventually saw Us. It was kind of wanky. I saw Suspiria too and it was just not my cup of tea

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Suspiria makes a whole lot more sense when you find out it was supposed to be a school for way younger girls and when they aged them up they didn't change the script.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Suspiria remake whips rear end, but you do have to have art pervert brain.

Us was a really good concept with great cinematography and creative designs and style choices, but it suffered hard because that's a very short story idea dragged out to 90 minutes+

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Get Out was very good, his movies after that have been less good but still better than a lot of other poo poo coming out

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

nope!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

henkman posted:

Get Out was very good, his movies after that have been less good but still better than a lot of other poo poo coming out

Us is the only other film he's written and directed.

I think he's got a bad habit of putting his name on garbage or funding garbage, and it's hurting his brand pretty bad. But if he wrote and directed this new UFO one it'll probably be pretty good.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The Suspiria remake whips rear end, but you do have to have art pervert brain.

I could see what people like but I just can't make myself enjoy that style of movie at all. It's my kryptonite.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the last film I watched was some cowboy film set in the civil war with the guy from its a wonderful life in it

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I can’t tell if :thejoke: or not but… the man who shot liberty vallance???

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched Zulu the other night and Black Hawk Down yesterday. Zulu was way better.

Feel like watching a western now but I don't know if I want to watch a comedy western or a Clint Eastwood flick.

Do I go for goofy like Support Your Local Sheriff or Maverick. Or do I go for High Plains Drifter or Outlaw Josey Wales.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

Watched Zulu the other night and Black Hawk Down yesterday. Zulu was way better.

Feel like watching a western now but I don't know if I want to watch a comedy western or a Clint Eastwood flick.

Do I go for goofy like Support Your Local Sheriff or Maverick. Or do I go for High Plains Drifter or Outlaw Josey Wales.

I hear The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is pretty good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I’m watching Basic Instinct rn

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

There's no such thing as a good horror film. Inevitably the person that tells you about the latest horror masterpiece they just saw will try and show you their collection of OnlyFans videos of Japanese women in stilettos stomping kittens to death.

Jay :black101::devil::catte::choco::discourse:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Pop on Maverick. Charming cast, script by William Goldman. Nice, easy Sunday morning flick

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
mad about the anime

mad about the getting mad about the anime

mad about the getting mad at getting mad about the anime
'

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Us is the only other film he's written and directed.

Yeah I'm aware

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

You can never go wrong watching Support Your Local Sheriff. All of the cast (James Garner, Jack Elam, Joan Hackett, Harry Morgan, and a young Bruce Dern) are great, and it does a really good job at humorously subverting the usual Western movie tropes while also just being a good comedy in its own right.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sedgr posted:

There's no such thing as a good horror film

No such thing as a hot Sedgr post!!!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

poisonpill posted:

I can’t tell if :thejoke: or not but… the man who shot liberty vallance???

I think that was on next but I didnt watch that one, there was a marathon on for some reason

it was in colour and he had a farm with like 12 adult boy kids, the racists try to recruit his sons but he tells them to gently caress off

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
so anyway im watching gundam wing and it feels like as i watch it im beginning to realize that

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Lol They don't make those anymore.

Sedgr posted:

There's no such thing as a good horror film.

Kalel no.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Basic Instinct was good stuff
90s noir is my current jam

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

was there anything in particular that set off this "hey remember the 90's" tour

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Nobody, to me, is such a boomer movie. Good Guy, shoot Bad Guys, and nothing else. Bear in mind I never cared for John Wick because I felt the same way. I guess I expect more from these critically acclaimed action movies.

Nightmare Alley is long but interesting. Need to finish last 45min, but the fact that I actually care enough and want to know how it ends make it a standout

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

was there anything in particular that set off this "hey remember the 90's" tour

Films loving suck now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also I was baby in the 90s so I haven’t seen any of these

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Hmm. Why do action one-liners feel so different from marvel banter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Action one liners have pauses in between to let you savor them.