Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
Yeah, at the very least the fire chief/marshal/whoever it was will raise hell over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I hope they sue this place for every red cent, especially if there's a trail of this person calling a whole bunch of people and them shrugging it off

When I used to close my store, one night my key got stuck in the lock. I couldn't turn the key or remove it, passerbys couldn't either, and when I called my boss, he told me I'd just have to stay there until someone got the key out, and hung up.

I am thinking we might get some good posts with VDay being the day after Superbowl.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

teen witch posted:

AITA for moving out after finding my dad’s detailed lists describing my every move?

This is insane top to bottom. However I wonder if there is a reason the dad did it and the family thinks she is overreacting. Like did she get experimented on? Who the gently caress knows! It’s crazy.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I hope they sue this place for every red cent, especially if there's a trail of this person calling a whole bunch of people and them shrugging it off

Five will get you ten that he gets termed for this and they cite cause for "insubordination" or something like that for causing damage to the facility and not just waiting to get let out

Some employers are just such loving jerkoffs and have zero idea of the concept of what's legal and what isn't

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

olylifter posted:

Five will get you ten that he gets termed for this and they cite cause for "insubordination" or something like that for causing damage to the facility and not just waiting to get let out

Some employers are just such loving jerkoffs and have zero idea of the concept of what's legal and what isn't

Yeah but the paper trail of not only calling the Walmart manager who became aware of it, and the fire chief straight up threatening the OP's boss would make most labor lawyers dance in excitement if said boss tries to punish OP over it.

If the fire chief is anything like ones I've dealt with they'd probably personally make sure OP got in touch with a good lawyer and freely offer the formal incident report or something describing the nature of the event. Some of them practically live and breath by going berserk on businesses trying to gently caress around with fire code violations for minor things, much less an employee told to stay trapped in a potential death box overnight.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 13, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Only met one fire chief in my life but he was in his 50s and showed up to an important civic function for the town in a Pokémon tshirt so I assume he has an account here.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Brawnfire posted:

Wow. A long-form work of art that my wife, the woman I love, crafted. A long glimpse into her internal world, her values and fears and hopes and concerns about the world... bits of her humor, nuggets of her wisdom, even the flaws of her ignorance. It's all there, for me to consume, to know her better, to understand her more deeply.

Ugh.

seems like a slightly idealized view of the work. sounds like a masturbatory turd and he smells it. You think my boyfriend wants to hear my sick riffs all day? I admit they can overwhelm the casual listener. :smug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

From comments to another story.

quote:

Absolutely right. I was a stay at home wife and student finishing my degree. He was the breadwinner. He kept a log of everything and then online banking made it easy for him. I could never purchase anything without an argument. If I bought take out, I should've cooked. He bought take out the very next day. He said he was just doing what everyone else at work did. I couldn't buy a vacuum cleaner but he bought an $80 remote control.

We rolled all of our coins and once I spent a roll of quarters to get gas. He came home and asked me why a roll of quarters was missing. I was floored! "You're counting the change?" I screamed. I told him I got gas with it. He told me that if I stayed home, I wouldn't need gas. I know...crazy. This went on for 3 years. After one last incident of buying a chocolate candy making class that I wanted to take and he told me it didn't taste worth the money I spent on the class, I had enough.

I told him then and there I wanted a divorce. His eyes got wide. I told him I would no longer live like this. I was back working and I paid for the class. I was so hurt because I worked hard on the candy. I told him to get out of the bedroom while I got my stuff.

He finally knocked on the door an hour later and apologized. I didn't want to hear it. He said if I gave him a chance, he would change. He did. He said his reasoning was that he grew up poor and he felt my purchases were a waste of money.

We ended up with a great marriage once we got that figured out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

seems like a slightly idealized view of the work. sounds like a masturbatory turd and he smells it. You think my boyfriend wants to hear my sick riffs all day? I admit they can overwhelm the casual listener. :smug:

I'm a little wary of anything that presents people in mental health crises as "quirky" because the first thing that comes to mind is some tumblr high school poo poo. Not saying it's the case, but it would probably be obvious ~10 pages in.

It's also clearly not a doorstopper of a novel if literally everyone else in the family could find time to read it, so taking an afternoon to read through it, maybe skim through just to get the general gist , is literally the least thing you can do for someone you married who achieved a major life goal.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

From comments to another story.

good I guess, if 3 years of insane behavior could've been stopped in it's tracks with a single conversation but to get to that point is bonkers.

Literally nickel and dime-ing your spouse for their expenses unless its hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck is absolutely controlling abuse

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 13, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My ex forced me to dress as Elsa from Frozen whenever we had sex

quote:

I really hope this is the right sub for this. I think enough time has passed (four years!) since this relationship ended that I can finally talk about it. I know that this might sound like creative writing, but I swear to god this is true. My ex-boyfriend had a fetish for Queen Elsa of Arendelle, from Disney’s Frozen. Be as sceptical as you want, I’m the one that had to deal with this bullshit. I was still a super religious fundamentalist at the time that this story took place, so I had no idea what a healthy relationship looked like. Now that I can look back on this, I can see just how strange this was.

When I was about 18 I started dating a boy from my church. We ended up dating for around a year and a half total. At first he seemed funny and charming, athletic, blah blah blah. He was all my teenage fantasies poured into one little blonde mould. About six months after we started dating, Frozen came out. I thought it was a cute movie and everything but my ex on the other hand. Whoo boy. It was like a switch flipped in him. I was not prepared for what came next.

At first it seemed innocent enough. He bought Frozen t-shirts, posters, and other merchandise. He liked to sing along to the songs while we were driving. No big deal, he found something he enjoys. Normal, right?

Then he started to grow an obsession. Every time we went for a date, it was always at one of our places, watching Frozen. I suggested other activities but was always shut down. I didn’t mind much because I loved him and wanted to spend time with him any way I could, and if I had to suck him off when Do You Wanna Build a Snowman was playing in the background, then God Dammit, I’d suck him off when Do You Wanna Build a Snowman was playing in the background. He bought a storybook that basically told the plot of Frozen in book form and would grab different parts of my body while I read it to him. These events led us up to both of us losing our virginity while Let it Go was playing in the background. Not my proudest moment. (Speaking of “let it go,” he used to say that when he came.) The love letters and good morning messages he wrote to me started to reference the movie and the characters more than they talked about him or I.

Sooner or later the obsession turned over to me personally. He wanted me to look like Elsa. My hair is naturally dark, and he begged me to make it blonde and braid it. I ended up lightening it a bit for summer and he got angry that I didn’t come out fully bleach blonde. He made me do eyeshadow in purple like the character in the movie and made me show him how to do it. He made an outfit for me to wear when I visited his apartment (well, he made me a list of things I had to buy for myself, to wear to his apartment every time I visited) that included an ice-blue top that showed lots of cleavage, white shorts, and an over-the-top amount of silver jewellery. He even begged me to purchase a fifty-dollar Elsa gown from a Halloween shop and became angry when I wouldn’t blow $50 of my limited nanny salary on a Halloween costume that would be hiked up around my waist and stained in cum in a manner of seconds anyway. When I wouldn't cough up the money to purchase an Elsa gown, he gave me the silent treatment for nearly two days. The creepiest part of this, is that after he went through all these detailed fantasies of wanting to gently caress a Disney character, he approached me and asked me if we could name our first daughter Elsa. You know, after he hosed me in the rear end while watching the movie in HD.

I suppose I should feel bad for kink-shaming him but honestly, he was such a piece of poo poo to me for not being a living fucktoy shaped like a kids movie character. So here it is, world.this girl's ex has a fetish for Queen Elsa from Disney’s Frozen.

Sincerely, NipplesDaClown, an unwilling Elsa.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Lol that two of the American ones are name brand drugs.

(And 'kabob' really? We spell it 'kebab' but you can't throw a cat without hitting a kebab shop round here)

Kabob isn't a kebab. It's talking about roasted chunks of meat and veggies on a skewer.

Short for "shishkabob" iirc

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I want to believe.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Captain Fargle posted:

Kabob isn't a kebab. It's talking about roasted chunks of meat and veggies on a skewer.

We also call that a kebab over here. The putting of a thing on a skewer is what makes it a kebab in British English.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vuk83 posted:

I want to believe.

If you want to read it yourself...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Captain Fargle posted:

Kabob is an Americanism, I think. It's shish kebab in Australia. Kebab just means 'meat'. Kebab by itself is usually donner kebab.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cythereal posted:

geez, let it go

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

We also call that a kebab over here. The putting of a thing on a skewer is what makes it a kebab in British English.

I'm in the UK as well and I've yet to encounter any kind of kebab shop serving you food on a skewer lol.

Ask for a kebab and you're going to get thinly sliced and lightly spiced meat served over flatbread, usually with onions and a yoghurt based sauce of some variety.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 13, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cythereal posted:

The creepiest part of this

Lol like everything before that wasn't creepy enough. The things women will put up with from men just boggles the loving mind.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm in the UK as well and I've yet to encounter any kind of kebab shop serving you food on a skewer lol.

Ask for a kebab and you're going to get thinly sliced and lightly spiced meat served over flatbread, usually with onions and a yoghurt based sauce of some variety.

Doner kebab still has a skewer, it just doesn't leave the rotisserie. Kebab/kabob (the spelling doesn't matter since it's just a transliteration from arabic anyway) is a whole huge genre of food with many many varieties. It's not quite as overloaded a word as curry, but it's up there.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Captain Fargle posted:

It's cooked on a skewer, not served on one. Also you're describing a donner, cooked on a big skewer. If you get chicken, it's cooked on a little skewer.

I know it's confusing as these delicacies are usually enjoyed after ten pints as you stagger home from your local.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

also the love letter she later posted

quote:

We hooked up once about 4 months post breakup, when he didn't incorporate any frozen stuff. I realised then that bad sex without frozen in the background is just bad sex. He also failed out of university and works at a pizza place.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm sorry what kebab shop do you go to that doesn't offer shish kebab? Look at the cooler at the front, you'll see a bunch of meat on metal sticks. That it's no longer on the stick by the time you get it is irrelevant.

And as mentioned, go into a kebab shop - what's that giant hunk of doner meat rotating on do you think, anyway? Oh, a big long vertical metal stick. What do we call those?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Either we can argue about kebab, or we can all collectively unify at failing to pronounce gyro correctly.

Which will it be Anglosphere?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pentyne posted:

also the love letter she later posted]
Even though it makes no sense I'm imagining her playing Madonna's "Frozen" during their post-breakup hookup and having a laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS088Opj9o0

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Grape posted:

Either we can argue about kebab, or we can all collectively unify at failing to pronounce gyro correctly.

we can do both (and so much more)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Greek Warlock: A sprig of Y, a dash of R, a cut of G.
I call it Γ! Hey Anglos! Hath at thee!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pentyne posted:

I feel ill

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
r/relationships: Sincerely, NipplesDaClown, an unwilling Elsa.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pentyne posted:

i'm the winking emoji in a hand-written letter

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hope I was never steadfastly awkward enough for my love letters to be shared online...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That's not a love letter, that is the screed of a mentally unwell person. I know the line can be a thin one but here there is no ambiguity.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Grape posted:

Aren't gyros typically pork? I think that's enough of a
difference considering most other kebab countries tend not to be so big on eating pork. Except Albania I guess.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I thought they were lamb and beef

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't been to that many gyro places, but I don't think I've ever seen a pork gyro.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I used to know a guy who would make a big show of pronouncing gyro "hero", probably because he wanted people to realize he was the only person smart enough to make the connection between the word gryo and the origin of the "hero" sandwich (there isn't one).

"I think I'll have my hero with feta. Are you also getting a hero? What are you getting on your hero? Ahh $5.99 not a bad price for a hero."

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

feedmegin posted:

And as mentioned, go into a kebab shop - what's that giant hunk of doner meat rotating on do you think, anyway? Oh, a big long vertical metal stick. What do we call those?

You know, I had genuinely never made this connection in my brain.

I feel like the time I first figured out the pun with Super Sonic.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my sister she doesn’t have to come to my wedding?

This one had some good updates...

I think this one was posted in this thread:

quote:

UPDATE: after reading all of the comments telling me no one cares about our wedding, the vacation doesn’t sound like it’d be fun at all, I’m being controlling, I’m being a selfish and an entitled bridezilla, I clearly don’t value my family etc etc, my fiance and I have decided to cancel our wedding all together!!! We’ll have a small ceremony for us and our parents and then my husband and I will use the big beautiful mansion we rented out as our honeymoon!! We’ll message the Airbnb host tomorrow about moving the date up. We’re very excited!! I realized neither of us wanted to cater to anyone because the only people that matter when it comes to our marriage is us!! gently caress everyone else lol!

To everyone saying that child free wedding are “egotistical”: no one cares about your kids lol. I love kids, I really do, but no one should have to cater to your kids needs except YOU!!

Thank you all for making me realize how stupid family weddings are, we don’t need them present to have our happily ever after. We’d prefer to avoid the drama all together. That’s all!!

Which still makes her sound insane, but this update cautiously makes me on her side... Cautiously...

quote:

Here’s some things wrapping up my post. I couldn’t add that much to the post, so here it is.

So I left this comment and a lot of people responded saying I should’ve added this to the post. I couldn’t add it on AITA, so here it is:

“Omgggg where do I start. I moved in with her after her kid was born and her baby daddy left (I was only 15) and lived with her for three years and helped raise her kid, but she swears it never happened!! When she moved out of my parents she took the family dog with her. The last time she moved she asked for hell because she’s pregnant but then sat the entire time and did nothing. I had to clean hers and her sons room which both had trash up to my knees, and then pack EVERYTHING. Because her stomach hurt. Not to sound insensitive but the only time she seems to feel sick was when she had to do something. She was about 3 months along. My fiance (bf at the time) and I offered to help her move (like actually pack up the truck and move furniture and such) and AGAIN she sat doing NOTHING the entire time. It was -5 outside and she sat in the car. Once we were done, I got into the car and she said “oh good you’re done” and i was like “yeah. We’re done. You could’ve helped.” And she said “it’s cold” I- UGGGHHHH WAS SO MAD. But she was pregnant so I pushed through. I kept helping. After, my “bf” and I were talking about where we wanted to eat and she started screaming at us to stfu because she’s hungry and doesn’t want to listen to people talk about food. Omg I was mortified. He spent all day lugging furniture in negative weather and she was so rude!! Never even thanked him. Then, I was over the moon to throw her a baby shower, I love kids. But she never sent me an invite list. I waited months and eventually made it myself because we were running out of time and she PITCHED A FIT about who I did or didn’t invite. And then she loving uninvited me. To a babyshower i spent hundreds of dollars and hours of time planning. The only jobs she has a the pregnant mother is to make an invite list and show up on time. But she also complained about the time I planned it!! Omg I couldn’t believe it.”

FINAL UPDATE I sent out an email canceling the wedding “to avoid any conflicts with child care arrangements” and “we decided it wasn’t fair to people with children.” Obviously, this isn’t true, but that’s where this all began so. I didn’t tell anyone about the conflict between my sister and I, but she had already dragged half of my family into it, so they knew the situation. This is each persons reaction:

My parents: they were disappointed, but understand. My sister has always been a nightmare and we have always given her anything she wants, if for nothing else, just to shut her up. They literally let her take the family dog just to keep her from throwing a tantrum. They’re glad that I shut her up as well as not just giving her what she wants.

His parents: they were so sad. They were really excited to have this vacation, but they’re still happy for us and understand.

Younger siblings: are loving crushed. I’m going to go on a weekend trip with them to make up for it. That seemed to cheer them up.

Sister: My loving sister, made a facebook post telling everyone what an arrogant cnt I am!! She texted me saying she never wants to see me again, but she also said that when I accidentally broke her favorite perfume. And again when told her son he couldn’t have my cat, yes, MY cat of two years, and she told her son in front me “maybe auntie will let you take the cat when we leave” and she put me in the awkward and upsetting position of telling my nephew and sister absolutely not. And again when I wouldn’t make her dozens of meals for her to freeze for after she gave birth. And again when I didn’t buy her a gift for her baby shower that she uninvited me to, that I PLANNED. She’ll get over it once she needs a babysitter again, like every time.

Everyone else: honestly, that’s just too much to go into. Some people are butthurt they don’t get to attend the wedding and are calling me “petty and small” (I am, idc) but some are just annoyed because this is what my sister does. This is who she is.

I decided idgaf if I’m TAH or not. It’s my wedding, my fiancé is happy with this decision, and we will do what we want. But honestly, the people calling me an rear end in a top hat were usually assholes themselves (telling me I’ll get divorced, my family probably hates me and they should go NC with me either way, that I’m insufferable, that I hate kids, that I’m a bad aunt, that I should never have kids, that I’m entitled etc etc) and I don’t think I should cater to people like that lol. Thanks for helping me realize how ungrateful people are!!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Hughlander posted:

AITA for wanting my nephew to help out my son with a living arrangement?

quote:

My mom and I got the idea from one of her Facebook groups about sending Jake an invoice but it’s blown up were everyone is mad at us.
I want to see this Facebook group. (see below: what are the odds it was an estranged parents group?)

eta: The OP has responded to comments!

quote:

My mom got the idea off of Facebook on how to deal with narssisictic family members. We wanted to remind him, his wife and kids that we have spent money on them. So he won’t be like “we have never helped him out”

quote:

Your nephew isn't a narcissist just because he doesn't want to house your son for several months for free. You are the one behaving like a narcissist by acting like they owe you for the incredibly normal act of buying birthday and wedding gifts (which aren't supposed to come with conditions or expectations).

Jake thinks he’s better than the rest of the family because he got a good job. He ignores his own grandmother and we haven’t seen him in years because he refused to come visit for Covid. I hate seeing my mom always upset over his selfish behavior and she was in that support group because of him. We asked him one little thing to help my son out and him and his wife shut us down hard. They can afford to help out family they just don’t because they believe they are better than us. My son finally gets his degree after tons of set backs and Jake won’t give adam a single chance to prove himself. Adam don’t even want to do an internship because he’s already like 10 years older than most people

Adam's a little turd, I did an internship at 35 and thought nothing of it.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 13, 2022

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Captain Fargle posted:

You know, I had genuinely never made this connection in my brain.

I feel like the time I first figured out the pun with Super Sonic.

If it makes you feel better, I just figured out the pun with Super Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Betty Wight posted:

This is insane top to bottom. However I wonder if there is a reason the dad did it and the family thinks she is overreacting. Like did she get experimented on? Who the gently caress knows! It’s crazy.

I'm assuming it's one of those things that start out innocent enough; like he is struggling to bond with his daughter, so he starts making notes of her likes and dislikes, preferred topics of conversation, and such. As coping mechanisms go, that's fairly inoffensive. He notices it smoothing things over, so he then starts jotting down other things; who her friends are, what they're like, how she professes to feel about her life and relationships. That's a fair bit more alarming, but could theoretically be settled with an open and honest conversation about how and why that is wrong. But his behavior keeps escalating and now he's got lists of theories about her sexual partners and time tables of her comings and goings during the day, and gradually he's inched his way into "run and don't look back" territory.