Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/besf0rt/status/1491432841728892931

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cloks posted:

gently caress cars

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

BeeSeeBee posted:

I think our Amish friends would take exception to calling that a bike, that's clearly a scooter!

These men understand that sprockets and chains are the devil's work. :hmmyes:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Tried to stop for a pedestrian tonight. Unfortunately they were a wuss but I don’t blame them because the BMW that was tailgating me passed me on the right and when I realized it was hopeless, I almost got sideswiped by some dickhead not using headlights.

I loving hate motorists.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
americans are psychos

actually enclosed steel bubble design has also made things way worse. cars would be okay if they were 1920s chitty chitty bang bang cars that are open-top. there's something sick about americans brains and being enclosed in steel bubbles that break them demanding they murder a gaggle of children constantly because clearly no one can see them

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Xaris posted:

americans are psychos

actually enclosed steel bubble design has also made things way worse. cars would be okay if they were 1920s chitty chitty bang bang cars that are open-top. there's something sick about americans brains and being enclosed in steel bubbles that break them demanding they murder a gaggle of children constantly because clearly no one can see them

I was talking with my partner about this, specifically how car driving disconnects one from the passengers. And how often throwing an iPad at the annoying kid is the solution. But we saw a bunch of kids in bakfiets and longtails and how there is a greater connection with the outside world and those kids seem to not want the ipad

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Full enclosure, sound dampening, tinted windows, etc. all contribute to the driver's feeling of being alone, disconnected from the human beings around them to the extent that they're seen as obstacles to be overcome, at best, and deadly enemies, at worst.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Am I misremembering when I say that car windows used to be much less tinted in general? Thinking back to the shitboxes we'd drive in the 80s and 90s, I remember the glass being very transparent, and tinted glass being reserved for actual luxury vehicles or creeps. I remember my grandparents pulling up to the house, and we could see them yelling at each other through the glass lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

Am I misremembering when I say that car windows used to be much less tinted in general? Thinking back to the shitboxes we'd drive in the 80s and 90s, I remember the glass being very transparent, and tinted glass being reserved for actual luxury vehicles or creeps. I remember my grandparents pulling up to the house, and we could see them yelling at each other through the glass lol

yeah i think so

wasn't there a scene in friday where they get pulled over, so they roll up the window and it has a picture of two old white people on it, and the cops leave lol

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Jestery posted:

I was talking with my partner about this, specifically how car driving disconnects one from the passengers. And how often throwing an iPad at the annoying kid is the solution. But we saw a bunch of kids in bakfiets and longtails and how there is a greater connection with the outside world and those kids seem to not want the ipad

Hard to imagine being a kid as a passenger on a bicycle and wanting to look at a screen when there's so much going on around you.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Full enclosure, sound dampening, tinted windows, etc. all contribute to the driver's feeling of being alone, disconnected from the human beings around them to the extent that they're seen as obstacles to be overcome, at best, and deadly enemies, at worst.

nothing freaks a driver out more than looking them in the eyes in my experience

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Cugel the Clever posted:

The amount of soundproofing in modern vehicles is loving wild. Truly an incredible feat of science.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
If you're down with their particular brand of silliness the latest episode of Well There's Your Problem covers John Forester and 'vehicular cycling', with special guest: him off of Not Just Bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm29fd-s7tQ

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I just finished this book:

it was published in 1977, and it nails all the problems of car centric development and then explores potential solutions. which is super frustrating knowing there's 40 more years of car focused development to follow.

the book ends with a spoof article from a car-free 1995 imagining a section of motorway being preserved by enthusiasts like a steam railway.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdBhPUfH/

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Blackhawk posted:

Hard to imagine being a kid as a passenger on a bicycle and wanting to look at a screen when there's so much going on around you.

Completely agree,

Additionally I think the lessened mental load of the driver and the proximity and blocking(?) Of the passengers and driver let's conversation happen more easily

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Dressing up like this and sticking thermite grenades in the engine compartments of parked cars FTW.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

an actual frog posted:

If you're down with their particular brand of silliness the latest episode of Well There's Your Problem covers John Forester and 'vehicular cycling', with special guest: him off of Not Just Bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm29fd-s7tQ

The episode isn’t bad when it gets into the nitty gritty of bike infrastructure but it takes like 45 minutes.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
A good suggestion is to make the horn as loud on the inside as the outside but it doesn't go far enough

From the moment you insert your key, the inside of the car should be filled with an extremely loud shrill noise that somehow becomes more loud and annoying when you travel to an area with increasing quality of public transport

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nitevision posted:

Dressing up like this and sticking thermite grenades in the engine compartments of parked cars FTW.

careful, that's how Lastgirl got done in

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Bedshaped posted:

From the moment you insert your key, the inside of the car should be filled with an extremely loud shrill noise that somehow becomes more loud and annoying when you travel to an area with increasing quality of public transport
Listen, while I agree modern cars are overly-insulated lounges that completely isolate drivers from the realities of operating heavy machinery at speed, don't you think pumping in C-SPAM posts is a bit much?

an actual frog has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Feb 14, 2022

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if the car was stinky inside

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

new car smell is already a toxic collection of volatiles evaporating off of the various plastics and resins used in their construction. perhaps the root cause of car brain?

perhaps not, research is required.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
good car idea

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bedshaped posted:

A good suggestion is to make the horn as loud on the inside as the outside but it doesn't go far enough

cars each have a 1% chance to play a single Inception horn blast so loud your soft tissues are liquefied when you start them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Polo-Rican posted:

I hate this mindset - generally I try to argue the exact opposite, that bikes are nothing like cars, and more like faster pedestrians

pedestrian: 150lbs, usually moves ~5mph
person on bike: 165lb, usually moves ~10-15mph
driver in car: 3,000lb, moves 30-80mph
driver in suv: 4,500lb, moves 30-80mph

bikes and cars aren't in the same universe when it comes to destructive force. the only thing they have in common is they have wheels and go on roads (and that's a societal restriction that has nothing to do with bikes themselves)
This just sounds like you want to ride your bike on the sidewalk

mystes
May 31, 2006

Riding bikes on sidewalks at slow speeds is fine if you yield to pedestrians. It's not anywhere as dangerous as cars. It just sucks for biking that way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polo-Rican posted:

good car idea

Cool knife

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LonsomeSon posted:

cars each have a 1% chance to play a single Inception horn blast so loud your soft tissues are liquefied when you start them

The country would be a ghosttown within a month

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Cars shouldn't have windows. Experience the cacophony or walk.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
in rolls royces the car plays some background noise cus the silence drives u insane

well.. more insane.

idk how that poo poo is legal. i had a cop hassle me for having a single earbud in while walking lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

cars may create a lot of noise pollution but they also made Blade Runner 2049's soundtrack dope as hell so it's impossible to say if they're bad or not

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, we'll do both. Direct the exhaust to the passenger cabin without a muffler

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

802.11weed posted:

idk how that poo poo is legal. i had a cop hassle me for having a single earbud in while walking lol

Wtf. I live in the US but that sounds completely mad. What did they even say? What state was this in, if you don't mind answering?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm going to guess the south but hell, it could be anyweher

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Cat Puke posted:

Wtf. I live in the US but that sounds completely mad. What did they even say? What state was this in, if you don't mind answering?

quebec

told me to take it out, that i have to pay attention to my surroundings it's very dangerous out here!! ( on the sidewalk next to a loving traffic jam )

this was like ten years ago

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

802.11weed posted:

quebec

told me to take it out, that i have to pay attention to my surroundings it's very dangerous out here!! ( on the sidewalk next to a loving traffic jam )

this was like ten years ago

lmao what the gently caress

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I work with the Deaf litteraly every day and so many people are amazed they are allowed to drive

Like, yeah, hearing isnt exactly the most used sense while driving

And if we buy the argument that it is indeed we necessary , the it follows that car stereos must be disallowed

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I am Deaf and I have never been in a car crash/accident in my life and I regularly and actively point out potential accidents as they develop.

Hearing is fairly worthless to driving, far far more important is checking all your mirrors and being aware of how "now" can lead to "later" while evaluating current traffic, approaching vehicles, etc

I hate driving and cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Actually now that I think about it, I would say that the vast majority of hearing people have no loving clue what's happening around them since they don't loving use their eyes or their necks at all. They just listen out for "OI THERE!" and don't bother to look to their sides or behind them ever. Car or no car, all you freaks are stumbling through life zombielike.