Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

wetdela posted:

Bro, he’s former SOF. He probably has a contact there because a friend of his was involved in capacity building or training in Yavoriv or somewhere else in Ukraine. Black Rifle isn’t a front for the US Information Agency, they sell tacky shirts and k-cups to LE/MIL bros. This forum takes a very strange attitude to people with professional experience.

SOF aren't capable of lying for clicks? Bro?

If he's so official where's the blue check?

It's not unreasonable to be wary of unsourced rumors from Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A guy who knows a guy who's heard of some other guys is a bad source. Even if it turns out to be true, you're supposed to be sceptical of stuff like this.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Paladinus posted:

A guy who knows a guy who's heard of some other guys is a bad source. Even if it turns out to be true, you're supposed to be sceptical of stuff like this.

You can be skeptical, sure, but what he's saying is totally believable. Ukraine probably doesn't want to accidentally create the catalyst for an invasion.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

celewign posted:

You can be skeptical, sure, but what he's saying is totally believable. Ukraine probably doesn't want to accidentally create the catalyst for an invasion.

Agreed. Believable, yes. But I'd rather tweets with substance get posted rather than telephone game bullshit.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

People should not forget that the vast majority of Twitter people and Echo-Chamber denizens on whatever side are not funded by the CIA, nor do they need to be to spout alarmist exaggerations.
There is an absolute abundance of people who immediate RT the most extreme speculation which makes people look. In this case, it's Russia attacking the Ukraine, so pretty much every video of a Russian tank on a road somewhere then "means" that Russia is about to attack "in mere minutes".
This is the same as Covid posters like Feigl Ding or whatshisname, who quotes long research papers about anything with the conslusion that we now literally have airborne superaids.

This is not to say Russia is not mounting an attack, nor that the CIA isn't releasing propaganda and so forth. But our information/attention economy rewards those who consistently post the most dramatic take. It's not all or nothing. It's not either true or an CIA op. It can be both, or even neither. Heck, there are news sites who say that Russia is "about to attack within the day" for weeks and weeks.

It's all too much noise to really know what's going on, imo. Which is of course a well-known Putin strategy.

All I know is that at this point, the mere impression of escalation is beneficial for Russia, for the USA and for every drat twitter superstar. So yeah.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 13, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I mean you're all right to be skeptical but... he's just saying that they canceled some vacations and told everyone not to engage the Russians. That's a pretty obvious thing for Ukraine to do and not the kind of extraordinary claim that would require extraordinary evidence imo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Some Russian unit positions as of today:

https://twitter.com/The_Lookout_N/status/1492844014726438915?s=20&t=Z-b5Qut6aKA9THRLGcrvoA

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like there’s a moderately large protest against Tokayev in Almaty.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russian armies trying to invade Ukraine. Time to protest

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Putin going for the double score.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The ongoing Beijing winter games brings to mind that Almaty is famous for its Medeu ice rink where multiple speed skating world records were broken in the 1950-60's.

COINCIDENCE???

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Suppose tomorrow Putin gave the order to bring the troops at the border back to garrisons and demobilize - have there been any calculations of the approximate cost of this 'exercise' to Russia?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

God they aren't even going to rump ukraine. They're going to fully occupy Kiev.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm going to be moving soon, so I really do hope the United States can keep itself from starting the final days until then.

World War III does not exactly lend itself to a good future.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Victory Position posted:

I'm going to be moving soon, so I really do hope the United States can keep itself from starting the final days until then.

Loving these takes where Russia invades a sovereign state but somehow it’s someone else’s fault.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I believe the good faith reading here is "hope the US does not get involved and escalate into a direct confrontation with the other nuclear armed state"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Loving these takes where Russia invades a sovereign state but somehow it’s someone else’s fault.

It really is amazing being an American and thus being one of the blessed 330,000,000 people on the planet with any agency whatsoever. All the world dances to our tune :rolleyes:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Victory Position posted:

World War 3 isn't going to happen. The US and NATO are not staging forces to counter a Russian incursion into Ukraine. Why do people keep assuming we're going to, last minute, do so? As of last month there was only about 70k US forces stationed in ALL of Europe, unsure if that counts the elements of the 82nd Airborne being moved into Poland to help with evacs, but there is in no way enough forces in Europe to even begin to consider countering the 100k+ Russian forces on the Ukrainian border, and for all intents and purposes the US position has been we will not be involved in a war with Russia.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 13, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

How are u posted:

It really is amazing being an American and thus being one of the blessed 330,000,000 people on the planet with any agency whatsoever. All the world dances to our tune :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegemony

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

I believe the good faith reading here is "hope the US does not get involved and escalate into a direct confrontation with the other nuclear armed state"

This is good to hear and it definitely seems to be the consensus in this thread.

I guess the next line of questioning is to what exactly Russia intends to do after this current incursion, depending on whether or not they can repeat what they were able to do in 2014.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Actually, Nato secret article 420/69 states that USA has a responsibility to defend all the founding members of United Nations by a nuclear first strike. And unfortunately the Ukrainian SSR was one of the UN founders.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/CreativeCorazon/status/1492773179294691333

while the symbolism makes sense, this is still one of the stranger protest photos i have seen

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Putin is behind the wheel on this one. USA might be in the backseat yelling but no matter how much you wish it you guys [americans] are not the ones choosing how or when the ride crashes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

while the symbolism makes sense, this is still one of the stranger protest photos i have seen

Now fruits are taking the streets. Obvious western homo propaganda.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Victory Position posted:

This is good to hear and it definitely seems to be the consensus in this thread.

I guess the next line of questioning is to what exactly Russia intends to do after this current incursion, depending on whether or not they can repeat what they were able to do in 2014.

Rather early to speculate.

We're still at the "guessing what their actual objectives are" stage.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Putin is behind the wheel on this one. USA might be in the backseat yelling but no matter how much you wish it you guys [americans] are not the ones choosing how or when the ride crashes.

No! We are the main character! Only question is if we're a cool good guy main character like john wayne or a cool bad guy main character like breaking bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

That's a lot of apples :catstare:

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I don't understand this terrifying world you live in that isn't centered around me, an American

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah nobody knows the long term game Putin has for Ukraine. Most likely its just put a Russian asset back into Kyiv and tie Ukraine back into the Russian economy and that's about it. Other than that, what its mostly likely to do as well is backfire in Putin's face, as part of his goal was to demonstrate weak NATO resolve, but Ukraine is not a member of NATO and so far its only increased NATO members calling for a strong resolve.

So yeah, its hard to tell what Putin thinks he will gain.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Apparently in the most recent phone call with Biden, Zelensky invited Joe to come to visit him in Kyiv to send a signal. The White House didn't report this but the Ukrainian president's office did.

Actually that would make for an interesting scenario. How would USA react to Russian army killing the POTUS who was acting as a human shield?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

At least one apple is actually an orange. And one more appears to be a carnation. There's a also a peach.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Most likely its just put a Russian asset back into Kyiv and tie Ukraine back into the Russian economy and that's about it.
How does that work without an occupation though? A puppet installed at gunpoint isn't going to last very long if all the guns leave

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Nenonen posted:

Apparently in the most recent phone call with Biden, Zelensky invited Joe to come to visit him in Kyiv to send a signal. The White House didn't report this but the Ukrainian president's office did.

Actually that would make for an interesting scenario. How would USA react to Russian army killing the POTUS who was acting as a human shield?

Just have Joe standing at the border, arms outstretched, facing down a Russian tank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Foxfire_ posted:

How does that work without an occupation though? A puppet installed at gunpoint isn't going to last very long if all the guns leave

I suspect they'll keep forces in theater for a while, but I also don't know if there will be much of a violent insurgency. But hard to predict, I cannot be certain.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

Biden should go actually. If the intel is that good. Stay for a week even, see the sites. Nobel peace prize material.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah nobody knows the long term game Putin has for Ukraine. Most likely its just put a Russian asset back into Kyiv and tie Ukraine back into the Russian economy and that's about it. Other than that, what its mostly likely to do as well is backfire in Putin's face, as part of his goal was to demonstrate weak NATO resolve, but Ukraine is not a member of NATO and so far its only increased NATO members calling for a strong resolve.

So yeah, its hard to tell what Putin thinks he will gain.

Also forcing Germany (and by extension the EU) who was more than happy to let Russia do whatever it wanted so long as it kept the gas flowing to switch to being hostile to Putin and saying radical things like Russia should face consequences for breaking international law. Putin hosed up and threw away something much more valuable than Ukraine but that bridge is burned at this point so he may as well finished the deed.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect they'll keep forces in theater for a while, but I also don't know if there will be much of a violent insurgency. But hard to predict, I cannot be certain.

All that really undersells how destabilising and catastrophic a war against a peaceful brotherly nation would be to start. I am convinced if it does come to this it will be the end of Putin

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Wonder if Putin will pull what he did in occupied Georgia where they wiped entire villages off the map to ensure they couldn't come back

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2012/08/19/how-villages-are-erased-from-the-georgian-map-a17123

https://twitter.com/KShoshiashvili/status/1492788366722703366?s=20&t=Z-b5Qut6aKA9THRLGcrvoA

https://www.hrw.org/report/2009/01/23/flames/humanitarian-law-violations-and-civilian-victims-conflict-over-south

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

contact on Russian side of the border just received security update

"Avoid all travel near bordering areas with Ukraine and avoid unnecessary travel. New updates will follow as situation is being followed"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

pippy posted:

Just have Joe standing at the border, arms outstretched, facing down a Russian tank.

*nods sagely*

Trump, when the Wall fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

pippy posted:

takes care of one problem i suppose