Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

What's their source on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

flakeloaf posted:

The immediate consequence of that would be those troops becoming unavailable to go to Kyiv, which I think we've all accepted is the whole point.

If this happens to be the final straw, Canada is going to have some uncomfortable interventions about our relationship with white supremacy, and the backlash from people who refuse to live in a world where the cishet christian male isn't on top are gonna make Pat King look like Larry King.

I don't pretend to know anything about PPS, but I can't see them taking any kind of meaningful stand against a group large enough to overwhelm the OPS. A small dog with sharp teeth locked in a little car doesn't have much of a reason to take poo poo from anybody, so whatever the culture is in there probably won't be swayed by what's going on out here.

Legally, I still think the most likely step is for the civilian board to appoint an administrator to run the police service. I have no idea what Queen's Park might do to castigate the mayor and council for letting it get to this point, and I have mixed feelings about finding that out firsthand.

I will note that the head of the PPS is legally required to be a member of the RCMP, and yeah, there's not a whole lot of them.

I'm not sure that a civilian administrator really accomplishes anything when they're still trying to issue orders to officers that are mutineers. They could purge the ranks but that also wouldn't help end the situation given that they would cease to be an active entity when they're down to 0 officers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Testikles posted:

Technically the British maintain the right to intervene if Canada goes off the rails but it's a long trip and they'd probably not want to bother with the mess

The PSNI could have that whole area cleaned out in two days. Thirty-six hours, if you weren't terribly picky about how.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Testikles posted:

What's their source on this?

A scanner radio conversation he linked downthread. It's half an hour of tape and I haven't listened through it yet.

Fidelitious posted:

I'm not sure that a civilian administrator really accomplishes anything when they're still trying to issue orders to officers that are mutineers. They could purge the ranks but that also wouldn't help end the situation given that they would cease to be an active entity when they're down to 0 officers.

If the chief isn't in charge of the men, get eyes on the head of their not-a-union-union. The province had their chance to patch this bug when Craig Bromell got too big for his britches, but they didn't.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

They followed this up with it being a trailer marked with "2400 guns" advertising.

It's unknown if the trailer actually contains guns.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ugh seriously

that's as bad as the commissionaires seizing a copy of the Top Secret movie during one of their nightly sweeps

e: well at least somebody's trying to make arrests

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1492886880387584004

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 13, 2022

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/rachaiello/status/1492888566153850885?s=21

loving finally

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I’m not sure that’s going to go the way we hope. It’s just the moment we get to find out if we live in a democracy anymore or not.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

flakeloaf posted:

ugh seriously

that's as bad as the commissionaires seizing a copy of the Top Secret movie during one of their nightly sweeps

"Rebuffed"?

quote:

20-year veteran of the CAF, who served in East Timor and Afghanistan, assisted in the recovery of Swissair 111, and was working at the Pentagon on 9/11, stands guard of the cenotaph in Charlottetown throughout the trucker convoy protest (12 Feb 22).
Credit: John Morris (jmweb7 on Insta)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mokinokaro posted:

They followed this up with it being a trailer marked with "2400 guns" advertising.

It's unknown if the trailer actually contains guns.

Apparently it's all .22s - not much threat to the security forces, but a not inconsiderable threat to civilians. If you can kill a deer with it, you can kill a person.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Imagine if the chud occupation had happened just before the election. I wonder if that would have prompted much swifter and decisive action.

It also wouldn't have made the election a complete waste of time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Looks like the crisis in Windsor is over.

quote:

Windsor — The Ambassador Bridge is set to reopen, bringing Canada's "national economic crisis" to an end, Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens said Sunday. "Border crossings will reopen when it is safe to do so and I defer to police and border agencies to make that determination," Dilkens tweeted about 11 a.m. Sunday.

On Sunday, police at the demonstration site near the Ambassador Bridge engaged protesters for continued enforcement and multiple arrests were made, Windsor Police Service said. "The arrested persons are all facing a charge of mischief. Multiple vehicles within the demonstration area were also seized," police stated. "You will see a continued police presence in the area in order to maintain an environment that is safe. In an effort to work towards resuming traffic flow, a continuous assessment of the situation is vital to ensure a sustainable solution." Before noon, chants of “freedom!” could be heard as demonstrators were cleared out of all areas near the bridge.

The Windsor Police Department announced Sunday morning it was stepping up enforcement of a court injunction against the Ambassador Bridge protests. "Enforcement will continue in the demonstration area and there will be zero tolerance for illegal activity. The public should avoid the area," Windsor police tweeted just before 9 a.m. Sunday.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fidelitious posted:

I will note that the head of the PPS is legally required to be a member of the RCMP, and yeah, there's not a whole lot of them.

In the immediate term it may not seem like it's going to accomplish much, but assuming the police aren't actually enacting a coup, at some point it will matter. As pointless as it seems, the wheels need to start moving on censure and discipline within the system. Appointing civilian administration do oversee that is a start, even if it doesn't resolve the problem of OPS not acting on orders today.

I mean they can (and likely will) continue to do absolutely nothing, but that hasn't worked so far, and it's certainly not going to address the problem after this crisis ends*.

flakeloaf posted:

If the chief isn't in charge of the men, get eyes on the head of their not-a-union-union. The province had their chance to patch this bug when Craig Bromell got too big for his britches, but they didn't.

If the Police Association is in any way directing them contrary to orders that would also be "a big deal". Assuming there were any kind of written or recorded communication to this effect, they'd be hosed.

*If we've reached the point where the police are in open revolt against the government and the situation cannot be resolved lawfully, then you should be hoarding fuel and canned goods instead of reading bullshit on an internet forum because we're in the loving Twilight Zone. If we're not yet there, then the process matters.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 13, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pat King is calling for the truckers to invade Bank & Riverside. Counter-protestors also got the memo and have already arrived to block them there.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 13, 2022

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lmao pat King saying or doing anything that isn't immediately met with a response of "gently caress that guy"

God things seem bad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

If the Police Association is in any way directing them contrary to orders that would also be "a big deal". Assuming there were any kind of written or recorded communication to this effect, they'd be hosed.

Skof is far too clever for that, and anyway he doesn't need to resort to writing. He was acclaimed as the leader of the association twice, because nobody ran against him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chantal Hebert is reporting that "centrist Conservatives" are starting to rally around Jean Charest as their leadership candidate to foil Poilievre. (You can defeat the paywall by stopping page loading before it's done, although there isn't much to the article besides the headline).

infernal machines posted:

I'm not foolish enough to predict how this will end, but I can definitely see police claim that they were under orders to avoid conflict and couldn't have done anything without reinforcements and would you please double the budget for next time? Also, strangely enough we don't have detailed records of this operation and can't share them for security reasons.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Grouchio posted:

Pat King is calling for the truckers to invade Bank & Riverside. Counter-protestors also got the memo and have already arrived to block them there.

Who the gently caress is Pat King? My wife grew up in the Sault and has no idea who he is

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Who the gently caress is Pat King? My wife grew up in the Sault and has no idea who he is

Albertan guy who likes to shout into a cellphone in his truck

See: https://twitter.com/antihateca/status/1492181903012728834?t=I9EMD2ZzZH2N4-GHkC7D1A&s=19

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m seriously debating stocking up on gasoline, water and non perishable food at this point because it looks like Canadian govt security plans are complacent as gently caress when it comes to American style right wing extremists.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So, just speaking hypothetically, what countries would one want to escape to if they wanted to flee a far-right uprising? I've heard decent things about Norway and New Zealand...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

I’m seriously debating stocking up on gasoline, water and non perishable food at this point because it looks like Canadian govt security plans are complacent as gently caress when it comes to American style right wing extremists.
r/ottawa is reporting that the convoy at Riverside is completely boxed in by counter-protestors who are standing firm before both them and the OPS. Calm down.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Grouchio posted:

r/ottawa is reporting that the convoy at Riverside is completely boxed in by counter-protestors who are standing firm before both them and the OPS. Calm down.

I’m posting live from the counter protest!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

https://twitch.tv/themayor_mccheese

Things are gettin liiiiiiiit

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

For reference this is the last of the convoy protesters in Windsor getting cornered. 24 including a streamer have been arrested.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Cops realize they might miss the Super Bowl and decide to wrap it up

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

bringing back the mcrib sounds pretty good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
McRib is back?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

ugh seriously

loving lol if more cops get arrested by the truckers than truckers get arrested by the cops. What absolute losers.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

this stream is wild. the lady losing her mind about her husband getting arrested and having her keys, :rip:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Figured out what I'm eating for the superbowl

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

absolute loving lmao that the Ottawa cops forced the counter-protesters to let the honklerbrigade thru

Dissolve the Ottawa police.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

loving lol if more cops get arrested by the truckers than truckers get arrested by the cops. What absolute losers.

Maybe hire the truckers as the police

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Development posted:

this stream is wild. the lady losing her mind about her husband getting arrested and having her keys, :rip:

yeah it was pretty good

MA-Horus posted:

absolute loving lmao that the Ottawa cops forced the counter-protesters to let the honklerbrigade thru

ridiculous

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They have someone in Red Serge at their victory celebration.

Now I'm going to associate police with fascism :ohdear:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

MA-Horus posted:

We are still holding a lot of vehicles here. Tempers going up but we are allowing cars with kids and kids at home out.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

TulliusCicero posted:

Pat King is:
a) the listed contact to join the Alberta North portion of the clownvoy
b) the guy who said that “The only way [COVID mandates and such] is going to be solved is with bullets” and that if protesters' large gatherings are reported on by their neighbors, “those people need to be shot.”
c) a Great Replacement guy, a Holocaust denier, yadda yadda
d) doing photo ops with Conservative MPs on the site.

https://pressprogress.ca/conservative-mp-pictured-with-ex-wexit-campaigner-who-said-covid-19-restrictions-should-be-fought-with-bullets/

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

CBC just broke some news about an apparent agreement between the protest organizer and mayor of Ottawa for the convoy to leave tomorrow.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Nah its, leave to parliment hill tomorrow..

https://twitter.com/DavidWCochrane/status/1492960386987048961?s=20&t=ydUDSwfhnF_d3DO3R0JNqA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Mayor of Ottawa just negotiated with the convoy to relocate them to the hills, away from residential areas. Feckless coward.

Trudeau's almost done preparing the reinvoke the emergency acts, at least.