Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tarezax posted:

It's possible that you're holding the stick in a direction and accidentally making your character mistime a dodge

That's what I thought first but then I just tried very explicitly to only hold the block button and it still happened and my vontroller is pretty new and doesn't have any issues with the stick springs and stuff.

CharlestonJew posted:

some attacks do a bit of chip damage when blocking, really noticeable with enemies with bladed weapons

Not chip damage, I didn't do comparisons but it seemed more like full damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

KonvexKonkav posted:

Lol. I've never noticed a red circle. Let me guess, it's not a huge effect. I'm red-green colorblind meaning that I can see really obvious red objects like the Sekiro danger sign but I'm having trouble seeing shades of red that are not as strong.

If it's like you described then that it's very poorly explained and telegraphed in-game. I love this game but in terms of accessibility and tutorials it could really use some improvement.

This is the red flash:

https://i.imgur.com/fkHPSZ1.mp4

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally managed to finish stage 3 at a reasonable age, 32. The stage itself is incredible, but I wasn't that much of a fan of the boss fight, at least the first phase. The reach on her attacks, the deceptive animations, and the ample chip damage just pushed me to wait out her attacks outside her reach, then get in some hits after her overhead strike. The second phase was cool though, nice and quick and dynamic.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Finally managed to finish stage 3 at a reasonable age, 32. The stage itself is incredible, but I wasn't that much of a fan of the boss fight, at least the first phase. The reach on her attacks, the deceptive animations, and the ample chip damage just pushed me to wait out her attacks outside her reach, then get in some hits after her overhead strike. The second phase was cool though, nice and quick and dynamic.

3rd boss gets trivialized if you bring a weapon since she can't deal any chip damage to you anymore.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Thanks! For me it almost looks like the white flash. I tested it out some more in practice and I can tell the difference if I really focus on it but in the heat of the moment, it's basically impossible.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

Horse Stance
6, 6L, L, 6, 6L, L, repeat

So this is a bit confusing to someone who doesn't do this terminology. Is 4 away from the enemy and 6 towards the enemy on the thumbstick? The PS5 shows left stick down and up plus triangle or square for sweep or palm strike respectively but I have a hard time pulling this off and I'm unsure of the timing and how much I can preload the input. I'm more of a soulslike player than fighting game player and I just finished the first level at age 41 on my first try (I bought the talisman refresh thing).

What you said about defending while attacking makes sense, I try to go after guys and then try to deflect when I see them attacking. I have a hard time mixing up dodging, deflecting, and dashing. When I get in a crowd I find myself just dodging and waiting for an opening. Here's a good example of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0xhi3eDo2s.

I'm not really sure what I want to be doing at the shrines and with my xp to lead to the best progression. I permanent unlocked the weapon catch skill which looked cool but I am bad at it apparently. I assume I am working towards a run where I complete at a low age and have taken certain upgrades from the shrines? Can I gimp myself or can I always run the level more times and get more unlocks, etc? What are good things to be picking at the shrines early on?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Once you replay levels you'll get a feel for which shrine upgrade will be more useful for the fights coming ahead. Only real recommendation I have is prioritize the higher cost score-based upgrades from the shrines over everything else, since at future shrines there's no guarantee that you'll have a high enough score to get any upgrades from there. Save the age-based upgrades for early shrines where you don't have a high enough score to grab anything better, tho more structure is never a bad choice.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Also I was still kind of on the fence with the difficulty then I had a fight where I wound up finishing a guy with his own crowbar. I had to replay the video to see what happened. He loses his crowbar, not sure if I was already losing my own crowbar but I grabbed it out of midair as I moved forward and finished him off with it.

https://i.imgur.com/pQO6Zb6.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDl4mLDippw

I really like the weapons a lot, overall the fights have a real rhythm to them that is very Hong Kong cinema. I have a hard time telling when I get a deflect, I think I get a deflect or parry at the end here that leads to the finisher but it's tough for me to distinguish...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m not great at this game, got to the museum at age 50 and wow is it a beautiful level. If ONLY that museum existed in real life I’d go there literally every weekend.

I just want to say that as far as SA threads go, they’re often very helpful and feel like a great community. But holy poo poo this thread is PHENOMENAL. The amount of support and in depth exploration of this game is a whole other level. And OP, I can tell you’re super in love with this game, but you’re driving this thread really well and get all the credit due for making it as remarkable as it is.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've just been loving around on the first couple levels so far. First level I've made it out of at 23 but I think I can do it with no deaths. The boss is pretty manageable, there's just a couple encounters I'm not quite consistent at yet.

The second level is much rougher. I regularly get pushed up into my 40s before I even hit the boss.

Game is super fun.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m not great at this game, got to the museum at age 50 and wow is it a beautiful level. If ONLY that museum existed in real life I’d go there literally every weekend.

I just want to say that as far as SA threads go, they’re often very helpful and feel like a great community. But holy poo poo this thread is PHENOMENAL. The amount of support and in depth exploration of this game is a whole other level. And OP, I can tell you’re super in love with this game, but you’re driving this thread really well and get all the credit due for making it as remarkable as it is.

The museum is indeed awesome, and it has some fights that really reward certain move picks. Glad you're having a good time with it!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah, knife fighting makes this The Man From Nowhere the video game. A Korean film arguably way better than John Wick.

fnox
May 19, 2013

I’ve now fully finished the game and it’s truly astounding how well it manages to accomplish the sense of martial mastery in the player. You begin scrapping it out on every fight, trying to brute force your way through unforgiving hordes of enemies, and end the game being able to effortlessly anticipate and counter moves to the point it’s actually surprising if they can get a hit in.

The game makes you feel like you really are the sifu. It’s loving awesome. The most important lesson to learn is when to not press a button.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This game's biggest mistake is being too elegantly designed. It doesn't tell you going into it that you're going to learn things in a given order, or that you start at the end. But it does, actually. The game tells you during the introduction credits what new skill will be tested in each stage of the game. The aging system is set up such that dying occasionally is no threat, but dying repeatedly runs you out of lives fast enough to end your run. This means that mistakes in the run of a skilled player can be overcome, but the best play of an unskilled player will be stopped. The game, as it would be given as in an arcade style setting, is presented to the player from minute one. However, new players need to become acquainted with all the moves, so the game lets you study them at will if you put in some work. Once you have all these tools learned, you go and beat the game, and what's really left? Also, why do you have so much stockpiled exp?

It's because when you're done learning how to play the game, you'll be able to turn it on and beat rear end through a run of it, never permanently unlocking anything, and treating that as the game. The starting movelist is pretty powerful. None of the moves you unlock are better than the ones you start with, they just do different things. Once you know how to play the game for real, you can go back to a fresh start and play from stage one to the end, unlocking what you want to unlock, using the exp you get. Give it a try yourself, it's fun. It doesn't have ~permanent unlocks~ but it's a fun mode and I think it's where you're intended to play if you're looking for the Arcade experience

It all just feels so amazing to progress through that skill curve and the unlocks and poo poo and then look back on it, I imagine Daniel Russo felt the same

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 13, 2022

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
So one thing I'm still trying to figure out is there seems to be some animations where canceling out to defend is iffy. The push is a good example. Whenever I push someone and an attack comes in, sometimes I can dodge or block and sometimes it feels like I should have but I get hit anyway. I'm wondering if it's the case where you require a parry or avoid, or just a parry, and a regular block doesn't work, or something. It just feels inconsistent. Anyone have this nailed down?

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 13, 2022

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Aight, beat Sifu at Age 58. The ending tells me that there is some way to submit opponents and make them stop fighting (to presumably get a good ending)? I assume that's what it's telling me since the ending, while appropriate, feels abrupt AND kicks you back to age 20.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Man the last boss. I'm being punished for relying on focus moves lmao

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Artelier posted:

Aight, beat Sifu at Age 58. The ending tells me that there is some way to submit opponents and make them stop fighting (to presumably get a good ending)? I assume that's what it's telling me since the ending, while appropriate, feels abrupt AND kicks you back to age 20.

You have to break their structure in the second stage of the fight, wait for them to recover, break it again, and select the spare dialog. Getting good at parry is helpful (necessary?). I've seen a guide saying you need to do nothing but parry, but that's bogus. Sparing the other 4 bosses is way easier than even beating Yang, imo.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

The Moon Monster posted:

You have to break their structure in the second stage of the fight, wait for them to recover, break it again, and select the spare dialog. Getting good at parry is helpful (necessary?). I've seen a guide saying you need to do nothing but parry, but that's bogus. Sparing the other 4 bosses is way easier than even beating Yang, imo.

The lv5 boss is so loving hard, it rules! Beating him a second time is going to be rough though.

I agree with your notes. I had to parry a fair bit in Sean's second stage, certainly not exclusively, but for the other three I didn't have to parry more often than usual to break their structure twice.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

JBP posted:

Man the last boss. I'm being punished for relying on focus moves lmao

I went back and redid my shrine build entirely.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Pro strats digging into the depths of super secret gamer territory yep boss strats tiiiiiime

Artist 2: use a conveniently provided projectile to intercept a dangerous missile
Fighter 2: play better I guess uhh you know, parry the first hit in case it's a low I guess

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
final boss spoilers appreciate how the first four bosses all have some kind of gimmick that gets more outlandish in their second phase, and then you reach yang, whose two phases are "i am going to kill you with kung fu" and "i am going to kill you with kung fu faster"

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Okay, any tips on doing this? I'm replaying the first level over and over again because I keep doing too much damage. Fajar keeps dodging things instead of blocking and many of his moves don't seem to be parry-able?

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 13, 2022

fnox
May 19, 2013

Artelier posted:

Okay, any tips on doing this? I'm replaying the first level over and over again because I keep doing too much damage. Fajar keeps dodging things instead of blocking and many of his moves don't seem to be parry-able?

Parry the first hits. If they’re too wacky, avoid until you find a hit in the sequence you can comfortably parry. I found success at first fighting like normal, and after focusing solely on parries.

I’m not actually super sure of the parry rules, because you CAN parry glowing attacks, weapon attacks, and lots of other stuff that doesn’t look parryable, the difference tends to be the cost of the failed parry. Failing to parry a glowing attack will probably cost you your whole structure meter.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Artelier posted:

A parry is anything that shows the light red circle where the attack connects, you can parry almost any attack in the game but on bosses a parry won't stop a combo, so you have to parry several times in a row.

This is an absolute 10/10 banger for me. Completely finished it, was truly awe-inspiring that just a few days ago I was getting rinsed by the first boss to basically walking through the entire game.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The final boss for me was basically a checklist:

• "Have you stopped relying on focus sweep?"
  • "Can you parry?"
  • "Can you avoid sweeps?"

I had 1/3 when I first tried it, but it was kind of awesome how quickly the other two came when it was clear there was no way around them.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

Tirranek posted:

The final boss for me was basically a checklist:

• "Have you stopped relying on focus sweep?"
  • "Can you parry?"
  • "Can you avoid sweeps?"

I had 1/3 when I first tried it, but it was kind of awesome how quickly the other two came when it was clear there was no way around them.

I’m still at the “cannot parry” stage…

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

y_y posted:

I’m still at the “cannot parry” stage…

Yeah what I thought was parrying was actually just blocking and costing me a lot of stamina.

Also I finally found the Club shortcut, after running it about 12 times all the way through unnecessarily :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally managed to beat Yang, at a ripe old age of 69 (nice). Not sure if I quite liked the second stage of that fight. For one it's too drat dark, but he also does have a couple of moves that feel genuinely unfair, and the lack of focus moves makes the whole "you can only hurt enemies when the game decides to let you" aspect very apparent. Ended up having to work off my frustrations on the henchmen on the way:
https://i.imgur.com/PyadSDG.mp4

Still, went right back to do it all over again for the other ending. Turns out it's actually kind of hard to structure break bosses twice before they run out of health.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Still, went right back to do it all over again for the other ending. Turns out it's actually kind of hard to structure break bosses twice before they run out of health.

i just got the last of them and i think that the only really annoying one of the bunch is Sean, because he moves very fast, hits very hard, and his favorite combo opener (the shoulder check) staggers you so that you can't block the follow-ups. fajar phase 2 is a pushover - literally, the poor guy can't stay on his feet once you figure out his rhythm - kuroki phase 2 has exactly one melee combo and spends the rest of her fight playing keepaway, and jinfeng's so creaky and old that it's possible to get the option to spare her by accident

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
gently caress me. I thought I was getting good at this game, progresively lowering my age for each stage and reaching the last stage at age 54, but I cannot for the life of me make a single dent in Yang. I manage to get him like 1/4 of healthbar and forget about stagging, beacuse what little I can take off, it goes back down to nearly empty.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

gently caress me. I thought I was getting good at this game, progresively lowering my age for each stage and reaching the last stage at age 54, but I cannot for the life of me make a single dent in Yang. I manage to get him like 1/4 of healthbar and forget about stagging, beacuse what little I can take off, it goes back down to nearly empty.

i made it to the last stage at age 36, didn't get a single death until yang, and his kung-fu hands gently massaged me all the way to 65. i don't think it's even possible to punch him down - you need to keep upping his stagger with parries (the relevant shrine bonus is huge here) with the occasional jab to keep his stagger bar from draining. in particular he has a sekiro-esque flurry combo that'll cause significant stagger damage if you parry most of the blows. and don't let him open up distance between the two of you for too long - it's tempting to hang back and take a breather every so often, but all his deadliest moves open up at mid-range, to say nothing of his stagger regen

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and that’s that. got the true ending at age 47

great game and a solid appetizer for the AAA releases in the next two weeks

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Medieval Medic posted:

Having just recently slammed my balls into the same wall, here are some aspects that helped me.

Phase 1:
- The general thrust of the fight is that you have to parry to get openings.
- Your best chance for that are his punch combos. Try to tap the block button in time with his attacks to fish for parries until you interrupt him, then hit him some.
- Another good opening is when he runs up and tries a sweep to your legs. He'll almost always do a little hop back and then run in, so it's decently telegraphed. Avoid that sweep and you'll usually get some hits in.
- Apart from that, you should usually try to parry rather than avoid, and only use avoids if your structure is about to fill up.
- When he does the attack that stuns you and turns your screen grey, your best bet is using dodge (right trigger) sideways to survive the followup attack, parries and avoids seem unreliable against it

Phase 2:
- This one is the real motherfucker, no doubt about it
- Same general idea as phase one, but now he's using way more heavy attacks that can't be parried and drain your structure like mad
- You can still try to parry his punching strings until you interrupt him, but the timing is a fair bit tighter
- A good opening to look out for is his three-hit combo: a heavy uppercut, a high strike, and then a heavy leg sweep. He likes to do this a lot from a middle distance, and if you manage to avoid the sweep you have an opening to counterattack
- Probably his most dangerous attack is when he sort of crouches down for a moment and then leaps at you with a flurry of heavy punches. If you try to block or parry it he'll instantly break your structure, and you can't dodge it since it tracks. The best way to survive it is to spam a lot of avoids for each individual strike of his. Basically just go ham on your stick. If you do manage it, you get a decent opening out of it.

In this fight more than most, I was quite happy to have the flurry attack (heavy-pause-heavy). That's a quick and reliable way to get in a solid bit of damage even on short openings

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 13, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dodging low attacks has been a real road-block for me. The animations are so fast that I don't know how you're supposed to know to prep a low-dodge rather than a standard one unless you've just done the fight enough times to know where the low attack is in the combo string.

fnox
May 19, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Dodging low attacks has been a real road-block for me. The animations are so fast that I don't know how you're supposed to know to prep a low-dodge rather than a standard one unless you've just done the fight enough times to know where the low attack is in the combo string.

The unblockable ones usually have a tell, either a big spin or are part of a chain. Regular ones you can just block or parry. They’re never doubled up so you just have to know the tell and then respond to it accordingly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Alright I'm gonna go ahead and make a video to show people exactly what I'm talking about

I call it the rubdown

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I handle low attacks in this game the same way I handle low attacks in Tekken

Get hit by every single one of them just brute force my way to victory

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

fnox posted:

The unblockable ones usually have a tell, either a big spin or are part of a chain. Regular ones you can just block or parry. They’re never doubled up so you just have to know the tell and then respond to it accordingly.

I feel like the game trains you weirdly on stuff like this. Like I almost never just normally block because structure deteriorates so quickly. So I have it in my head "ok, you need to at least try to avoid every attack".

But then the low attacks come and my instinct is still to just avoid like normal. The training the game gives you doesn't really encourage you to be reacting to the individual animations.

I'm mostly talking out my rear end and I'm sure my knowledge of the game will continue to grow, just where I'm at right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
by far the most valuable skill i had in the end was the charged Triangle attack

the fact that it turns every dagger weapon into a one-time use one-hit kill was invaluable for bypassing big encounters on replays