Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It would be kinda neat if you could keep a lawyer bro on retainer

God knows I've had jobs (in BB :haw: )where I wanted to sue my employer afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol. That reminds me of the Judge in Blood Meridian...which really, with just a few simple changes, BB would be perfect for a Blood Meridian genocide mass-murder western simulator

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dogstile posted:

I don't think i've ever hit the decline button. In my head they get annoyed about it but I have no idea if it does anything in game.

But hey, its nice to have the job flexibility.

Yeah I very anecdotally think I read somewhere (probably ITT) that you lose a little rep for actually declining and it's better to just leave them hanging. It's very possible I made that up though

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I very anecdotally think I read somewhere (probably ITT) that you lose a little rep for actually declining and it's better to just leave them hanging. It's very possible I made that up though

You lose a tiny bit of reputation for haggling payment details but I think that's the only button that does anything like that. I think the idea is that you'll haggle on contracts with nobles in bumfuck nowhere and on really high paying contracts elsewhere, but I think the effect for most players is that they just never haggle unless they need up-front payment to feed their dudes or w/e in the early game.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Count Uvula posted:

You lose a tiny bit of reputation for haggling payment details but I think that's the only button that does anything like that. I think the idea is that you'll haggle on contracts with nobles in bumfuck nowhere and on really high paying contracts elsewhere, but I think the effect for most players is that they just never haggle unless they need up-front payment to feed their dudes or w/e in the early game.

Can't you get a follower that removes that penalty?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, you can also ask for more money more times.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's still a very useless advisor compared to others sadly.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Take this with a grain of salt, but I found it interesting.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/365360/discussions/0/3201496916527569718/

quote:

Overhype's next game: "Menace"

I just happened to stumble over German news regarding the governmental financial support of German development studios. Funds were given out to games with a development start in 2021.

Overhype Studio's new project "Menace" is supported with 1.073.555 € and makes place 20 of the ranking.

https://www.gameswirtschaft.de/politik/games-foerderung-deutschland-bilanz-2021/

There's a brief German public project description too! I'll translate:

"Menace" is going to be a complex, turn based tactics game from Overhype Studios. There are 2 different layers to the game. The first layer is the strategic one, where players make overarching decisions. The second layer are turn based skirmishes taking place on a tactical map.

The game is based on Unity [engine] and features state of the art 3D graphics. Based on previous game development experiences, game content will be partially randomly generated, but feature additional innovations and mechanics.

In combination with extensive freedom of choice ingame, each player will thus have an individual game experience. The featured ingame factions sport fundamentally different characteristics and abilities. A special mention goes to the individual, different, complex AIs of the particular factions. These will define the factions with their own characteristics and individual sets of strategic and tactical behaviour, in order to grant them character, credibility and depth.

Menace will be financially supported from 1.12.21 - 21.12.24.

https://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/DE/Artikel/DG/games-projekte/menace.html

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol. That reminds me of the Judge in Blood Meridian...which really, with just a few simple changes, BB would be perfect for a Blood Meridian genocide mass-murder western simulator

+5 to morale restore in taverns due dance talent perk

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I have been reading back over part of this thread over the last few days, and particularly around mid-December, 2018, some of the stuff people were posting was really prescient. Things like, "What if we could have camp followers?" and so forth.

Unfortunately, seeds people posted back then don't work any longer - I thought it might be possible, since I still only have the DLC that had been released at that time, but I did in fact type "Vaginabone" in as a seed. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814346&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=115#post490365089 It was not as advertised.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

This sounds potentially very tantalising. Looking forward to hearing more.

In the meanwhile though, new Battle Brothers poo poo incoming:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/5894652136227925533

EDIT: If anyone wants to check out their Discord for that "other piece of the puzzle", keep us posted. I don't think I wanna go there myself.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 11, 2022

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Based on that teaser image, i'm thinking a plague crisis, something with davkul, or probably both.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Great news! Excited to see what they come up with.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Inquisition, no one expects the...

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
A lone wolf campaign, but you are a Necromancer who can bring back dead bros and have other cultist style events. That would be cool as hell.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nordick posted:

EDIT: If anyone wants to check out their Discord for that "other piece of the puzzle", keep us posted. I don't think I wanna go there myself.

Joined the Discord. I think the other "piece of the puzzle" is the rest of the art that you linked to. I think the mods said full announcement next week.

Looks like a Witch Hunter type character with the Knight.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

thats a templar style holy knight if ever ive seen one

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

After not playing this game for years I recently picked up the Xbox version and I think it's a pretty good port overall, though they still have to iron out the bugs. They fixed the issue where Unhold fights would always crash the game but I still get a random CTD here and there, maybe once every 3 hours. The UI is fine once you get used to it so it's a nice game to play from the couch.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I will admit it has been a while since I played, I will also admit this game is one of the few that I will buy the DLC. ALWAYS. pretty excited.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I have a bizarre amount of hours in this and I hope it's something fun, I skipped the last two dlcs bc i was kinda eh on beasts

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

but the last two dlcs were good? Quite substantial I guess? Certainly felt like they injected more life into the game anyway. Helps explain the several hundred hours I've played.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
This is a semi-weird complaint that I've voiced a couple times now but it really still feels like Blazing messed with the map generation enough to sour me a bit; I have a couple old saves from 1.3 that still work on maps I really liked and both of them have town layouts that are just vastly better to anything I can find in Blazing. One of the them has all the towns in a loop in such a way it's 3.5 days max from one side to the other and you don't even need a port connection up north.

Meanwhile every Blazing map I've tried is just this poo poo show of roads with North and South being aggressively, like 6-7 days by road, apart. I somewhat get that the desert needed to be made it's own thing but it makes a lot of the game pretty rough and means I just don't interact with like solid portions of the map that are inconvenient to travel to.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

but the last two dlcs were good? Quite substantial I guess? Certainly felt like they injected more life into the game anyway. Helps explain the several hundred hours I've played.

All the new monsters and factions are so gimmicky, I hate them. They should've expanded the existing ones instead. And I don't really care about the backgrounds and followers. Not saying you're wrong for liking them, that's just what it's like for me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Beasts was bad enough that I think it actually makes the game worse in a lot of ways but the other two are cool

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They could release a "unfuck the map gen dlc" and i'd just buy it at this point.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mazz posted:

it really still feels like Blazing messed with the map generation enough to sour me a bit
Been saying this

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Mazz posted:

This is a semi-weird complaint that I've voiced a couple times now but it really still feels like Blazing messed with the map generation enough to sour me a bit; I have a couple old saves from 1.3 that still work on maps I really liked and both of them have town layouts that are just vastly better to anything I can find in Blazing. One of the them has all the towns in a loop in such a way it's 3.5 days max from one side to the other and you don't even need a port connection up north.

Meanwhile every Blazing map I've tried is just this poo poo show of roads with North and South being aggressively, like 6-7 days by road, apart. I somewhat get that the desert needed to be made it's own thing but it makes a lot of the game pretty rough and means I just don't interact with like solid portions of the map that are inconvenient to travel to.

I don't have the expansion but my maps always feel like this. Did they screw it up for everyone? How rude!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I guess the map gripes are slightly different for everyone but for me the biggest sting has been the significant pushback of snow in the north while tundra has taken over. I find myself rolling new maps mainly because there is no castle on snow (hedgeknight spawns), no long stretch of road on snow (queensguard event), or no decently sized snow area for monster spawns (unhold fur). It feels like the introduction of the desert has just pushed the previous terrain up north and most of the snow fell of the map edge

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 13, 2022

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

I started checking the unexplored map option so I can't obsessively reroll and I'm much happier this way.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Hyped for new content, it's been far too long; although I guess we can at least partly blame covid. Clearly the game is popular since it keeps getting ported to new platforms.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Palcontent posted:

I started checking the unexplored map option so I can't obsessively reroll and I'm much happier this way.

this is the trick. Missing out on certain things because of unfavorable generation stings less when you've already got 10 hours into a run

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Somehow got to day 75 on a expert peasant militia game without a single loss. Really want to carry this through the first crisis but WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT

Helps that I have like 800 hours in this game and probably half that on this particular map so I know where to both go and not go; mostly just farming raiders and this area in the north where theres like a circle of barb camps that just lets me farm thralls and dump the loot in a large tundra town that always has like a 1.35 sell modifier going.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 15, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mazz posted:

Somehow got to day 75 on a expert peasant militia game without a single loss. Really want to carry this through the first crisis but WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT

Helps that I have like 800 hours in this game and probably half that on this particular map so I know where to both go and not go; mostly just farming raiders and this area in the north where theres like a circle of barb camps that just lets me farm thralls and dump the loot in a large tundra town that always has like a 1.35 sell modifier going.

What seed?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's a 1.3 seed that you can't get unless you roll back to that version with Steam's beta thing :v:

The map loads fine in 1.4 with all the settings correct but doesn’t have the desert, towns or arena as they aren't on the mapgen at load. I do get Hyenas in the southern grasslands but that's it so far. It also turns out that some of the special weapons from Blazing can show up in shops as the named versions, like swordlances, its just stupid rare. No alchemy, guns or grenades Ive seen though. Haven't hit a crisis here yet, wonder if the holy war is even on the table.

I find I enjoy this map so much more than anything I found in blazing that I don't even care about losing any of that stuff (besides the arena). It’s mapped out as this great little circle of towns where ~11 of the 12 are connected by the same road and where I have access to everything I'd want right on the border of the Tundra. 3.5 days max one side to the other, and most much shorter than that. 2 big forest fortresses, 1 big tundra fortress, and the aformentioned large tundra town that always has good sell prices and events for no reason. The west side of the map is all coastline (no north port unfortunately) so all the big camps are pushed out east, which makes for some fun late game camp runs. I think the fountain of youth is either spawned OOB or hidden really loving well though, never found that yet and I have looked a bunch

Tempted to look into if you can modify the saves/seeds at all to the point you can change the buildings in a town but I highly doubt I'll get anywhere.

For anyone willing to actually do that though the seed is Mazzarella. All you do is roll back via steam beta to 1.3, make a bunch of saves in the game types you want (LW, Peasant, etc) then turn off the beta and go back to 1.4.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 15, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I found a pretty good seed on the Legends discord (someone else posted it there)

JNQSILYKJW

Most of the towns in the middle and south of the map are connected by road, which makes the whole experience so much easier.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
News about the new Battle Brothers DLC will drop Friday according to a Dev on their discord. So we wait.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Did they make a discord? I thought there was only an unofficial one.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
An old trick I don't think everyone is aware of; if you ever run into a camp you don't want to fight, find a friendly neighborhood group of Orcs, or better yet, Nachs!

In the late game you can just use this to split both group's attention and have them attrit each other so you still get most of the loot but early on this can clear 3 star camps that would otherwise be a bitch and a half.

Nachs tend to hit way above their weight for these due to the AI's inability to keep them away from corpses during the battle; very good in high numbers against poo poo like Chosen camps. Once they kill the camp enemies you can just retreat out and they reset back to normal after!

Works on every camp that that isn't a legendary location; just bring the patrol directly over the camp and engage.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 17, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like the new DLC is smaller in scope than before, but free.

quote:

While we’re working on a brand new game, fans of Battle Brothers have something to be excited about right now – we’re happy to announce that Battle Brothers will receive a free DLC called ‘Of Flesh and Faith’ on March 10th, 2022.

The focus of the DLC will be on adding two new origins to Battle Brothers, and thereby two fresh and different ways to approach the game. These two origins – the Oathtakers and the Anatomists – will be the most detailed origins in the game to date. They both come with unique mechanics, new equipment, new character backgrounds, their very own story events, and even a custom-tailored banner each. And because more variety is always nice, the DLC will add more than 50 new events in total to the game!

Here’s the list of features:
Oathtakers – Follow the teachings of Young Anselm, fight for righteousness, and swear oaths that confer advantages and disadvantages until fulfilled.
Anatomists – Further your research even if they shun you for it, dissect the corpses of your fallen enemies, and devise new ways to empower your men.
New Banners – Hoist two new banners that thematically fit the new origins.
New Equipment – Dress in style with new equipment that befits your origin.
New Events – Experience more than 50 new events on your travels.

Alongside this meaty free DLC full of new content will also come a sizable update to existing content. This update will contain a whole bunch of improvements, quality-of-life features and balancing changes. Both the DLC and the free update will arrive for PC on March 10th, and at the same time or shortly afterwards for Xbox, PlayStation and Switch.

Join us next week for our first dev blog on the new DLC and learn everything about the Anatomists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That sounds really solid, especially for a free dlc