Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Sniep posted:

how pray tell does a landlord "gently caress up" fiber internet

like it worked before and its broken now? and cannot be repaired?

(the following may be very technically inaccurate but this is what I have been told and I can do gently caress all about any of it)

there are a limited number of fiber lines in our area. because of this when we moved in to our flat starting a new contract with the one good provider would have meant losing the existing fiber slot and going onto a waitlist. instead of doing this we just put our billing details into the landlady’s account. this week our land lady got fed up of being mailed paper bills and tried to stop them sending her stuff in the mail. somehow this got translated over the phone to a call centre into cancelling our internet. apparently cancellation is irreversible, and no level of escalation has helped. someone else on the waitlist now has our fiber connection and we would join at the back of the que for fiber. either way I’ve been without internet since Monday and the best the company that did all this can do is put us on a basic connection by the end of next week. hence the suggestion of going 4g router instead. v hosed up I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e: ah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

woof. that sucks.

i'm very glad that when the old couple built my apartment for their son, for whatever reason they put a separate cable line in, so i have my own internet and don't have to share with them. god drat would that blow

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

vodkat posted:

(the following may be very technically inaccurate but this is what I have been told and I can do gently caress all about any of it)

there are a limited number of fiber lines in our area. because of this when we moved in to our flat starting a new contract with the one good provider would have meant losing the existing fiber slot and going onto a waitlist. instead of doing this we just put our billing details into the landlady’s account. this week our land lady got fed up of being mailed paper bills and tried to stop them sending her stuff in the mail. somehow this got translated over the phone to a call centre into cancelling our internet. apparently cancellation is irreversible, and no level of escalation has helped. someone else on the waitlist now has our fiber connection and we would join at the back of the que for fiber. either way I’ve been without internet since Monday and the best the company that did all this can do is put us on a basic connection by the end of next week. hence the suggestion of going 4g router instead. v hosed up I know.

find a neighbour with fibre and persuade them to split the top tier plan with u and jerry rig a copper line or wifi link to your flat. probably still better than 5g

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

vodkat posted:

lol i have a friend who had a similar issue, they were moving like all of a block over and weren't able to keep their fiber subscription because Frontier had maxed out the local fiber infrastructure, and was (probably still is) at bankruptcy's door so not willing to spend on any upgrades/expansion.

vodkat posted:

my landlady has hosed up our fiber internet and the best we can now get is basic adsl. she is suggesting getting a 4g/5g enabled router with unlimited data instead. how bad an idea is this?

it depends on how "unlimited" it actually is. like, do they actually mean unlimited, or is it like 50GB? is it unlimited but they throttle you down hard after a certain usage threshold? or maybe it's genuinely unlimited but after a certain threshold you start getting deprioritized, so if/when there's congestion your connection goes to poo poo.

also, who's the provider, and do you know if you get decent reception there?

i guess it also depends on how bad the "basic adsl" is

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you just wanna consume media slop it'll be fine. if you want to game, you're going to rip your eyes out

also theres a 99% chance you will be natted from the 5g router to your wireless provider's infrastructure so don't expect to be able to open ports for anything incoming

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

tbh 4g here is more than good enough for gaming, and i mean tryharding in online shooters. i could see it get in the way of playing tekken online or something, but you're not automatically boned, imo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that's in a developed country with functioning telecommunications infrastructure, though. vodkat lives in britain

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I had to get a 4G router in the UK because I live in a shared house and my housemates are massive cunts lovely people who complained to the landlord about me connecting embedded devices I work on to the router via ethernet (some don't have wifi)

it's okay but I still use our fiber over wifi for everything else, I get only about half the advertised max speeds for £50 a month tho

incidentally their argument is that I was "stealing their data" by "downloading at connection speed of 1000mbps" (we have only 300mbps total) - and in their words "probably more, this is just the maximum the router interface will show" (it's because ethernet is 1gpbs but they would not listen)

this is coming from a guy who said with authority he worked in IT so he understands this better than I who actually wrote router firmware

sorry got a bit E/N there, gently caress living in a shared house as a professional in your 30s

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat, that’s some big 2000s “im a sysadmin” energy from your housemate there

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

5g is pretty good here (250Mbps+) but no idea about the jitter and I assume it's only good as not many people are on board yet, shared medium issues etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jesus christ i bought this sabrent gen4.0 nvme drive about 18 months ago, it failed last year, wouldnt show up in bios, smoked.

rma'd it and bought a 980 pro to replace it.

when i got the rma i put it in my. linux box and figured i was good. i even put a heatsink on this one as i was worried i got it too hot as the c: drive in my game machine.

well after like six months IT died too today.

goddamn. do not buy sabrent.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
update: i bought three wd black sn750 500gb drives, a 2 slot pcie card, and another 32gb of ram to max it out.

plan is to run the root on a raid1 mirror of two of them, and use the third for /var and NFS cache.

if anybody knows best way to set debian up with the first part, would love any thoughts. i can do the mdraid part but am not sure how i install grub to both so if either fails i can still boot

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c c s:

RAIIIIIIIID!??!?!??!??!?!

Also i figured out the debian on raid root thing, it's easy. Just install but do a mdraid mirror during install process, have it install grub to first drive, after reboot use grub-install to put it on the second. sorted

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is good foresight to post about your debian raid setup in the computer problems thread at the get-go.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
aren't there cards that can take multiple m.2 drives and raid them for you in hardware? what's the advantage of using two slots

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

c c s:

RAIIIIIIIID!??!?!??!??!?!

Also i figured out the debian on raid root thing, it's easy. Just install but do a mdraid mirror during install process, have it install grub to first drive, after reboot use grub-install to put it on the second. sorted

does that work out when kernel updates do update-grub?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

butt dickus posted:

aren't there cards that can take multiple m.2 drives and raid them for you in hardware? what's the advantage of using two slots

they're a hundred bucks plus, those cards are 15 apiece

plus i hate chip raid and am much more comfortable wrangling mdraid

spankmeister posted:

does that work out when kernel updates do update-grub?

bout to fuckin' find out! this is new territory for me.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is good foresight to post about your debian raid setup in the computer problems thread at the get-go.

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress yall i got it hummin

look at this boot time

https://i.imgur.com/d0a3DIt.mp4

just did a chmod on 300,733 files in my plex metadata folder and it took 1.02 seconds

and yes one of you can tag yourself and be the AR

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I vicariously enjoy your set up plz share more although why doesnt it have its own instagram account in the same way dog owners make ig accounts for their dog

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i should do some pics and a network diagram heh
i got uh
a lot of wires

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
more like jonny 290K IOPS am i right??

what's that rig gonna be doing?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its my docker and VM box. i run debian, because i'm a grognard. So all my youtube downloaders, handbrake containers, etc etc run on this. Just a general purpose lumix box.

6700k, two 500g WD Black nvme's in raid1, a third one of those not raided for /var, and a 1tb samsung 860 sata ssd for NFS cache. 64gb of ddr4 3200. All packed in World's Best ATX Case, a lian li pc60.

I actually still run things like qbittorrent and direct connect clients on the NAS because it seems dumb to run such undemanding things on the fast box that requires a nfs connection.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 4, 2022

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i got a bunch of old NUCs on ebay* a while ago and i'd like to get them set up and running again. the seller stripped out the SSDs and RAM, and i'm having a heck of a time finding a drive that'll be compatible since i guess it takes some sort of mini-mSATA drive. does anyone have a link to a BOM or something so i can figure out what i need to order?

* i believe this was originally from the same failed web tv streaming(?) startup that made NBSD really really mad a year or 2 ago -- all this hardware came in zip-tied to an empty rack-mount tray like some kind of lovely homemade computing cluster

e: ok it looks like there's a lot of info in the tech spec sheet for this particular NUC

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 10, 2022

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Dumb technical question no one might know the answer to. I've been able to get a PC port of a game working on intel igfx (ffx hd) using a patcher that increases the VM space of a 32 bit windows app to the full 4gb. What I don't understand is... why does this help? Does intel DVMT/shared gfx memory reside in the process's address space and not in driver/kernel space?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Glorgnole posted:

i got a bunch of old NUCs on ebay* a while ago and i'd like to get them set up and running again. the seller stripped out the SSDs and RAM, and i'm having a heck of a time finding a drive that'll be compatible since i guess it takes some sort of mini-mSATA drive. does anyone have a link to a BOM or something so i can figure out what i need to order?

* i believe this was originally from the same failed web tv streaming(?) startup that made NBSD really really mad a year or 2 ago -- all this hardware came in zip-tied to an empty rack-mount tray like some kind of lovely homemade computing cluster

e: ok it looks like there's a lot of info in the tech spec sheet for this particular NUC

there's a full-size sata port up along the top there. or are you specifically looking at that m.2 slot? based on the spec sheet it looks like that was intended for a wireless card. there are short m2 2230 SSDs out there but i'm not sure if that board will support booting from it or accessing storage devices attached to it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also now you've got me curious, what are you looking to do with those NUCs?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there's a full-size sata port up along the top there. or are you specifically looking at that m.2 slot? based on the spec sheet it looks like that was intended for a wireless card. there are short m2 2230 SSDs out there but i'm not sure if that board will support booting from it or accessing storage devices attached to it.

i looked at the spec sheet, and you're right - the short m2 slot is for wifi - you can't run storage drives on it, it's keyed differently. the choices for storage are either with the sata port, or the sdxc slot and use a memory card (much slower, but a common choice)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Corla Plankun posted:

it is all over the place. I think my graphics card just doesn't have the necessary space to render a whole 1440p screen. I get screen tearing on youtube and poo poo too. I've tried just running it at 1080p but my monitor's interpolation is really bad and it makes everything look like it was drawn in crayon

its a radeon r9 380 and it is 6 years old and wasn't even particularly good at the time of purchase

turns out this was a driver issue that i fixed by using a special display driver uninstaller: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

and then running a fresh driver-only amd installation.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i was specifically looking at the m.2 slot. it seems to be keyed differently than the m2 2230 SSDs i've found (i discovered this by getting an extremely cheapo SSD and then realizing that it wouldn't fit when i tried to stick it in). this probably means that using this slot for a SSD isn't supported, since the type of wifi card that's suppose to go there has a sort of backwards-compatible key that would fit into multiple types of slot. i'll probably go for the SATA approach just to get up and running.

Broken Machine posted:

i looked at the spec sheet, and you're right - the short m2 slot is for wifi - you can't run storage drives on it, it's keyed differently. the choices for storage are either with the sata port, or the sdxc slot and use a memory card (much slower, but a common choice)

^^ yeah basically this. do you know if i'd be able to boot off a card in the SDXC slot? intel's answer seems to be no.

also now you've got me curious, what are you looking to do with those NUCs?

i have an industrial collaborative robot arm on loan from work, and the ROS driver for it really wants to be run in a real-time environment. i'd like to set up NUC #1 as a dedicated robot driver computer so i can experiment with RTOS setup, running the driver nodes within a Docker container in an RT environment, and all that great stuff.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i also have a small pile of nvidia jetson tk1 dev boards (via the same ebay purchase) and i have even less of an idea of what to do with them lol. i guess they're pretty old.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I want to go from 1T to 4T SSD but only have one m.2 slot on my compy.

I'm assuming easiest way is:

• get an NVMe 2-bay cradle/disk-cloner
  • unlock Bitlocker on the source drive
  • do the clone
  • expand NTFS partition (can I do this with Disk Management natively or is it...complicated)
  • enable Bitlocker

writing this out, it almost seems that backing up and just reinstalling on the new drive would be easier.
If I decide to go through with this any idea of a good NVMe 2-disk cradle/cloner that can attach USB/TB?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Get an NVME to usb adapter. you can get them pretty cheap on amazon. make sure you get one that specifies its nvme, cause there are older sata ones that wont work with nvme.

Stop bitlocker on the existing drive (this may be optional these days but it wont hurt anything)
Slap the new nvme drive in the usb adapter and plug into ur compy
use macrium reflect to clone from the old to the new.
swap old for new in the m2 slot.
expand partition in disk management (right click expand) if macrium didnt do it for you
re-enable bitlocker

a side benefit of using an nvme usb adapter is now you have a fast-ish external usb drive you can use for stuff.

alternatively you could get a pci express -> m2 adapter and do the same thing, except leave the old ssd on the adapter for fast internal storage.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Shaggar posted:

Get an NVME to usb adapter. you can get them pretty cheap on amazon. make sure you get one that specifies its nvme, cause there are older sata ones that wont work with nvme.

Stop bitlocker on the existing drive (this may be optional these days but it wont hurt anything)
expand partition in disk management (right click expand) if macrium didnt do it for you
re-enable bitlocker

a side benefit of using an nvme usb adapter is now you have a fast-ish external usb drive you can use for stuff.

alternatively you could get a pci express -> m2 adapter and do the same thing, except leave the old ssd on the adapter for fast internal storage.
I tried some other M.2 adapters from Amazon with the same chipset and they were frankly garbage, but these toolless sabrent adapters work great for either NVME or M.2 SATA drives.
can use a standard USB3 to USBC cable if you don't have C ports:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08RVC6F9Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

as long as the drive doesn't have any media or sector errors you could use macrium reflect to clone them then use diskmgmt.msc to expand the partition(s). If you have data integrity errors or bad sectors, or if the macrium clone fails, use clonezilla live with the -rescue flag set in expert mode. It will clone the disk, skipping over the bad data

future ghost fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 14, 2022

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
cheers y'all. Thanks that way is a lot easier.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Shaggar posted:

re-enable bitlocker

lol at not using linux for this, macrium wtf

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why not norton ghost while you're at it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

recommending dd is thread policy since it creates repeat customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006