Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ah thanks, I didn’t realize that’s an option. Although that will be tough to keep up.

Different question, does the game let you create new empires, or are you locked in? Like if I have three kingdoms, but one is supposed to be in the HRE, one in the carpathian, and one in the southern Baltic, can I make a brand new empire? If not, I guess as Bohemia I shouldn’t waste my time trying to expand east.

Once you're independent the option to form a new empire shows on the decisions screen. It doesn't show while you're a vassal of the HRE since you'd be the same rank as your lord and that's not really a thing that's modeled in game despite it sorta existing at times in reality (Henry II technically paid homage to the King of France as the holder of the Duchy of Normandy, etc).

Once you press the form new empire button, all kingdom titles you currently hold become de jure part of your new empire title.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Sheep posted:

Once you're independent the option to form a new empire shows on the decisions screen. It doesn't show while you're a vassal of the HRE since you'd be the same rank as your lord and that's not really a thing that's modeled in game despite it sorta existing at times in reality (King of England technically paid homage to the King of France as the holder of the Duchy of Normandy).

Then later Aquitaine and then attempts to unite the crowns of England and France that went so well it started something called the 100 Years War which was nice.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It gave us that PS3 game Bladestorm which at least was thoughtful of them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ok thanks. I managed to secede from the HRE already thanks to the emperor being in massive debt. Just wasn’t sure if my only option was to take over the HRE or do my own thing. Good to know. Gonna make a new Austro-Hungarian empire with less incense(maybe).

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Gonna make a new Austro-Hungarian empire with less incense(maybe).

But every ruler is going to have the idiot trait right?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Turns out having a pimped out court, 33 diplomacy, gregarious and grey eminence, and the august tree filled out makes you a very juicy liege to be under. I diplovassalized basically all of Italy and a bunch of Sardinia and the Balkans, I could easily form the kingdom of Italy and maybe the empire too, soon :getin:

Then of course one of the new vassals had a breakdown and murdered my son and disfigured me with a hammer, but that's just poo poo that happens am I right?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone know when the mongol invasion starts in CK3 or if it even works when doing the 867 start? The CK3 wiki doesn't mention it at all, at least not that I can find.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Boy I hate succession laws. Started in Bohemia and it goes to oldest in the line, which was like my 4 brothers. So instead of going to someone young, it just goes to some like 3 years younger, who then dies in a couple years. Rinse and repeat through like 4 kings in 10 years.

Won’t let me change it because we don’t have anything else discovered. Maybe soon I can finally pass this thing down to some under 50.

The solution to that is to conquer all of south slavia or whatever, use the decision to get absolute crown authority and then you can designate your best kid as heir and you're basically playing with primogeniture.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Two things:

1. Mystical Ancestors is such a cool tradition that I think goes against the grain of a lot of people's strategies. Hand out title after to title to house members to speedrun renown. With the right investment of items and dynasty legacies, the malus in relationship to claimants can be entirely negated and then some. It's a bummer that only a few cultures (none in Europe) have access to it!

2. Related gripe, but as others have noticed I think there are some issues with hostile factions right now. Have had a couple fire on me from groups that, at minimum, have +20 opinion of me.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Arcvasti posted:

The solution to that is to conquer all of south slavia or whatever, use the decision to get absolute crown authority and then you can designate your best kid as heir and you're basically playing with primogeniture.

Seniority is really good if you're a vassal and can get hooks on your liege. You can alter your commitments to nothing in such a short amount of time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tamba posted:

Would mixing in some Huscarls for the screen stat be a good idea? They're also heavy infantry, so they benefit from the same buffs. Or is it "all in on varangian veterans, just never lose a battle"?

If you go all in on VV you will never lose.

Even with the MaA counter system (which many people seem to not understand very well) they aren't any less powerful, because the counter effect is proportional to relative numbers, and the AI doesn't ever specialize.

If you have 2000 of any type of MaA the counter system will only ever mean they're doing like 90% damage instead of 100%.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Befriending vassals still seems to prevent them from joining factions against you. Also, if you're a vassal yourself, you can petition your liege to stop factions.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

If you go all in on VV you will never lose.

Even with the MaA counter system (which many people seem to not understand very well) they aren't any less powerful, because the counter effect is proportional to relative numbers, and the AI doesn't ever specialize.

If you have 2000 of any type of MaA the counter system will only ever mean they're doing like 90% damage instead of 100%.

The one real exception is Mubarizun, because the AI builds a lot of them. Wars in North Africa/Arabia can be dicey if you get unlucky with the number of Mubarizun in the AI armies.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone done the math on what combination of traditions, buildings and special holdings gives what specific province the highest possible development growth?

I've taken a brief look and the county of Bamiyen, with its unique building that adds 75%, stacked with 20% from Mountain Ruralism, 35% from Mountain Herding and 35% from Mountain Homes which adds up to a bonus 165% dev modifier.

You can also further add collective lands and a House of Glass for an added 45%. Getting us to a 210% dev modifier and then FURTHER modify that with buildings and royal preserves boosting dev to 244%.

That's before traits, which can add another 45% onto it taking us to a whopping 289% modifier.

A nearly 300% development speed growth modifier in a desert mountain in landlocked Afghanistan. That's pretty impressive!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

binge crotching posted:

The one real exception is Mubarizun, because the AI builds a lot of them. Wars in North Africa/Arabia can be dicey if you get unlucky with the number of Mubarizun in the AI armies.

Do they? I've never really seen any one AI have more than about 600 of them. Though if we're talking GHW with loads of participants I could see the numbers stacking up.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

Has anyone done the math on what combination of traditions, buildings and special holdings gives what specific province the highest possible development growth?

I've taken a brief look and the county of Bamiyen, with its unique building that adds 75%, stacked with 20% from Mountain Ruralism, 35% from Mountain Herding and 35% from Mountain Homes which adds up to a bonus 165% dev modifier.

You can also further add collective lands and a House of Glass for an added 45%. Getting us to a 210% dev modifier and then FURTHER modify that with buildings and royal preserves boosting dev to 244%.

That's before traits, which can add another 45% onto it taking us to a whopping 289% modifier.

A nearly 300% development speed growth modifier in a desert mountain in landlocked Afghanistan. That's pretty impressive!

Hi, I did the math.
Bamiyen is desert mountains which is -50% dev growth, which is why the special building gives so much.
If you're doing 'normal' dev strats, the best county is Madurai. 7 baronies, 4 of which are coastal. That's five cities and four tradeports. Plus it starts at 25 dev.
Dev growth is surprisingly the least impactful modifier to increase dev at high penalty levels. The two modifiers you should be looking for are flat dev growth (Royal Gardeners) and councillor task speed (Family Business)
If you're not doing normal dev strats, have tons of excess gold, and are ok with tedious rebuilding, industrious is the best one by far.

I have a strat that's even faster than industrious, but I haven't finished the run yet

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

Does anyone know when the mongol invasion starts in CK3 or if it even works when doing the 867 start? The CK3 wiki doesn't mention it at all, at least not that I can find.

It works, there's also game rules that determine when it happens. By default I think they're set to emerge in their historical moment, not sure exactly what the specific or range of years is. But I have seen them from the 867 start in the last patch.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

scaterry posted:

Hi, I did the math.
Bamiyen is desert mountains which is -50% dev growth, which is why the special building gives so much.
If you're doing 'normal' dev strats, the best county is Madurai. 7 baronies, 4 of which are coastal. That's five cities and four tradeports. Plus it starts at 25 dev.
Dev growth is surprisingly the least impactful modifier to increase dev at high penalty levels. The two modifiers you should be looking for are flat dev growth (Royal Gardeners) and councillor task speed (Family Business)
If you're not doing normal dev strats, have tons of excess gold, and are ok with tedious rebuilding, industrious is the best one by far.

I have a strat that's even faster than industrious, but I haven't finished the run yet

How did you build all the holdings so fast? The base duration is 5 years and you've built 4 of them in 12 years, even with a 23 steward it only decreases the duration 43%. Family business only gives 10% more, is it really that good? Plus the fact that you need to build the buildings in the holdings and upgrade them. Do you build holdings in just a few months and buildings in a few days?
Edit: Plus the time it takes to change the traditions, which is 12 years at the start? Plus you need the prestige to do it. I just can't understand how you do it.
Edit2: Ah now I see the prestige, you cheated?
Edit3: I found his explanation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/spywjh/industrious_is_a_fair_and_balanced_tradition_or/

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 14, 2022

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Has anyone encountered any events from their council jobs since they update? Like extra taxes, get a duchy title instead of a county claim. Or hell, even find secrets? It would seem that they are either triggering impossibly rarely or not at all and I never even noticed.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

wit posted:

Has anyone encountered any events from their council jobs since they update? Like extra taxes, get a duchy title instead of a county claim. Or hell, even find secrets? It would seem that they are either triggering impossibly rarely or not at all and I never even noticed.

Okay now that you mention it I have had none of those events. I wonder if they broke the triggers for them somehow.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

scaterry posted:

Hi, I did the math.

That's really impressive!

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Okay now that you mention it I have had none of those events. I wonder if they broke the triggers for them somehow.

Yeah, it's a bug. They marked that report as "In Review" so they are aware and looking at it at least, hopefully it gets addressed in the bugfix patch probably coming fairly soon.

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 13, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

wit posted:

The "fabricate claim on county" councilor task works, it gives me the duchy quite often. But I have all my family members to learning education so they have very high learning, like +40 at least.
Find secrets works too, but you need a high skill. The extra taxes I have actually not seen in my current run but I barely ever use it so that is probably why.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

wit posted:

I've gotten the duchy title claim a couple times, I don't remember any others, though.

Also, what age do women stop having children in this game? I married a lady well into their 40s and they managed to sabotage my carefully crafted partition plans by getting right down to business. Playing a culture with mystical ancestors really wrecks my old strategy of handing out disinheritances like they were candy.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dorkopotamis posted:

That's really impressive!

I found his explanation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/spywjh/industrious_is_a_fair_and_balanced_tradition_or/

I thought it was cheated at first, apologies for that, it is very impressive.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 14, 2022

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah, it's a bug. They marked that report as "In Review" so they are aware and looking at it at least, hopefully it gets addressed in the bugfix patch probably coming fairly soon.

Heres hoping. I'd be interested to know what specifically broke it. Now I've twigged on to it I don't think I'll play til its fixed because those events are a big part of the game overall. Like I don't wait for X fortunate RNG event to fire, but I absolutely lean on them hard when they do.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

sloppy portmanteau posted:

How exactly do I make money after feudalizing? My previous ruler feudalized the Scandinavian empire, and his heir after taking over has been forced to mobilize the army way more than I thought, and is in constant debt. I can no longer raid for money, and my army is costing me an arm and a leg. I'm going down the steward tree but it's not helping, and my organized ásatrú head of faith doesn't have any gold to give out.

Here's the economic situation:

Do I just need to give in to every faction demand to not raise my army and focus on building up wealth at a snails pace of 6.6 gold per month?
That's not that bad, that's around 20 successful duke level blackmails. By the time you do that you will have extra money too. You just need to work on the intrigue skill trees. Also reinvest into money generating building it takes 20 years for them to pay back the investment but building tall is where the money is at. Also stop buying candles too, i guess.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

fancy stats posted:

I've gotten the duchy title claim a couple times, I don't remember any others, though.

Also, what age do women stop having children in this game? I married a lady well into their 40s and they managed to sabotage my carefully crafted partition plans by getting right down to business. Playing a culture with mystical ancestors really wrecks my old strategy of handing out disinheritances like they were candy.

I think 45 is the cutoff age.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

sloppy portmanteau posted:

How exactly do I make money after feudalizing? My previous ruler feudalized the Scandinavian empire, and his heir after taking over has been forced to mobilize the army way more than I thought, and is in constant debt. I can no longer raid for money, and my army is costing me an arm and a leg. I'm going down the steward tree but it's not helping, and my organized ásatrú head of faith doesn't have any gold to give out.

Here's the economic situation:

Do I just need to give in to every faction demand to not raise my army and focus on building up wealth at a snails pace of 6.6 gold per month?

Most of your cash is going to come from your own holdings; unless you have specifically invested in your vassal's holdings, they will not have much in the way of income, and so they will have very little to pay you as a result.

The wealth focus tree is really good for this, the income boosts are big, and Extort Subjects and Sell Minor Titles are great for pulling money out of thin air in exchange for Tyranny and Prestige.

You also won't be able to support the huge levy armies you could raise as a Tribal, instead you want to make due with specialized MaA and only as many levies as you need to prosecute sieges. Fighting battles is also great because captives and ransoms are very lucrative.

fancy stats posted:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Most of your cash is going to come from your own holdings; unless you have specifically invested in your vassal's holdings, they will not have much in the way of income, and so they will have very little to pay you as a result.

A vassal only pays you 10% of their income (assuming default contract), so you really should not invest in their holdings, unless you're planning to take them for yourself later.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 14, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh good point, I mostly mean investment during the late tribal era, where it's not particularly unusual to have more gold and prestige than you could ever really use.

Do not invest in your vassal's land once feudalized.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I've found that building the first economy building in a barony does a lot to get the owner to keep investing in it, but after that there's diminishing returns.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dorkopotamis posted:

2. Related gripe, but as others have noticed I think there are some issues with hostile factions right now. Have had a couple fire on me from groups that, at minimum, have +20 opinion of me.

Its kinda wierd. You need like 80+ opinion to avoid them joining factions but that applies for everyone else too. It results in alternating flip flops where each claimant often secures more than half the kingdom to overthrow the current liege for another claimant, only to then join back up with the OG ruler when they fire off their own claiment faction in an attempt to retake power. This is why there is the see-saw effect where 2 rulers keep flipping yielding the throne to one another over and over again. There needs to be some hard check where if you (any AI) join someone's claimant faction, they should first check to make sure they like the other guy more or something and then once they win, they stick with their choice for at least 10 years or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Blorange posted:

I've found that building the first economy building in a barony does a lot to get the owner to keep investing in it, but after that there's diminishing returns.

Oh and I also like to build a revenue buildings in cities/temples to stop my Theocratic vassals from building Barracks there that I can never replace. That way you at least get cash and not more useless levies.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

My soulmate wife got murdered and the popup was like "Not one day too soon!" as if I hated her? Just a random bug?

I feel like that event is SLIGHTLY BUGGY because I frequently get shocked by what it says

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

MikeC posted:

There needs to be some hard check where if you (any AI) join someone's claimant faction, they should first check to make sure they like the other guy more or something and then once they win, they stick with their choice for at least 10 years or something.

They do get a temporary +50 opinion boost to their candidate for a while, but yeah that doesn't seem to be enough anymore/

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The constant factions to install claimants on the throne can lead to some pretty funny stuff, like this for example. This guy is related in a straight line to Prince Pepin, the count of Vermandois, in the 867 start. It is now 1158 and his line of the family has never had more land than a single county yet they somehow ended up as Emperor of Byzantium.

As a Hindu it seems I can not marry Orthodox characters, does anyone have any idea on how to get an alliance with him? I would like to try and help him stay on the throne.
Edit: I befriended him and then asked him to become a ward for 2 of my grand daughters and checked the boxes to have him convert their culture and religion, let's hope he wants to marry them later.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 14, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There's the Negotiated Alliances perk in the diplomacy lifestyles, that allows you to ally cross-faith.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

PittTheElder posted:

There's the Negotiated Alliances perk in the diplomacy lifestyles, that allows you to ally cross-faith.

Thanks! For some reason he did not change the faith of his wards so that idea did not work. I hope I can get the 2 perks quickly because he's in 3 faction wars right. I've sent thousands of gold to prop him up but I'm not sure it will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
drat when you do cadet branch quartering it takes the quarters from the historical design not the modified design :negative: