Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

Megazver posted:

I am fairly confident that if CR asked, WOTC would fall over themselves to allow it for a symbolic fee.

CR has had a major role in WOTC earning buttloads of cash in the recent years and LoVM is more or less a multi-million $$$ D&D commercial. They'd be dumb to do anything to spoil the relationship.

Nah once they start using WOTC IP Critical Role would be giving a lot of power over to them. There is a wise financial reason why they are avoiding WOTC IP references in Campaign 3 (such as changing names of races) and in this show. Much better for them if they can keep total creative control.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The scene in Scanbo where Scanlan walked into guards playing D&D makes me want Grog's One Shot to be adapted even if it's extremely unlikely to happen. For those who don't know, Travis did a one-shot where he roleplayed as Grog running Dungeons and Dragons Bunions and Flagons for Percy, Scanlan, Vax and Vex. They played themselves and shenanigans ensue. It's a funny episode despite Travis falling out of acting as Grog near the end. Playing a dumb Barbarian takes a lot of energy.

To be fair they're more or less in character the whole time except when losing it from laughing, or when Laura (Vex) dropped character completely and called out Travis (Grog) for using a wedding gift as a prop and damaging it. I think at one point Sam (Scanlan) nearly asphyxiated from laughing which would have also been appropriate in character at that point.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I get the feeling the show might change where Keyleth is at for her aramente, as they dont seem to have gone to the fire and earth druids yet, which the stream has done by this point.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

She met up with the earth druids pre-stream didn't she? But yes, with the fire ashari at least, yes they skipped the original point where she went so they'll have to save it for the next time they're in the area.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They'll probably have her arrive there for the first time after the Chroma work them over and the gang are on their way to the elemental plane.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The watch party is live again on Twitch. We got Sam, Travis, Marisha, and Ashley now so it should be a good night.

Marisha is being aggressively cheerful.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I used my free prime sub on another channel for the month

they didnt even give me a shoutout :negative:

I know the drat CR people :negative:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Happy Finale Day everybody!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’m actually excited!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wait is it up I thought it was Friday

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Goddammit I'm sad now because you said "finale" but also excited for finale

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait is it up I thought it was Friday

When Amazon says "Friday" they mean "Midnight GMT", so 6pm Thursday night Central, where I am.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Goddammit I'm sad now because you said "finale" but also excited for finale
I'm possibly as excited for the reactions to the end of this season of you, Robobot, and the others ITT who aren't familiar with campaign one as I am to see it myself :munch: Please do report in!

Also thanks to everyone in the thread for allowing us to keep a space where the different levels of familiarity were respected and everyone's viewing experience protected. Adaptation threads are always tricky, and I'm pleased with how it's gone!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'd have used the cold open as the end to ep 9, personally. Excited to see where it goes.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
lmfao grog doing grog things.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Oh gently caress yes, Keyleth still got the killshot on Sylas!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Look, Delilah's not wrong...

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'd forgotten how most of the briarwood battle plays out.

The orb! The sword!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Skipping the titles? drat. Wise choice.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Having Keyleth be the one to get mortally wounded in the Ziggurat instead of Vex is an interesting choice. It was clearly done to tie up Vex's awkward hostility towards her and I don't hate it, but it did catch me off guard.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

loved the aesthetic/effects on orthax

also i like the narrative decision to lean into yeah the bad guys of s1 are the briarwoods but really the final boss is Percy

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 18, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Lmfao gun throw into the acid was perfectly timed and toned

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I wish they'd kept the fact that even with the reveal that yeah, Orthax was tied to the gun, Percy was still mad because making the List was so loving expensive and now it was just gone. But I guess I can see why they didn't. It was just very funny at the time.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The score's consistent and varied inclusion of your turn to roll is stellar.

The daring adventures of Scanlan Shorthalt.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I really, truly, thoroughly enjoyed this season.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Aww yiss, Chroma Conclave cliffhanger.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Man, these last three episodes really brought it in terms of animation, story, and D&D-style problem-solving. Psyched for season 2. I hope since they got greenlit for two seasons off-the-bat we don't have to wait too long.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Among other things they changed, one of the more interesting ones is that Grog just finds Craven Edge (Sylas' sword) in the rubble and decides to keep it. In the original stream, the party chilled out in Whitestone for like a week afterwards for a well-timed Fantasy Christmas episode and Percy found the sword. And after inspecting it and coming to the conclusion that hmm yes, this sword is kind of hosed up, he.... gave it to Grog as a Fantasy Christmas present. Grog loved it. This change makes Percy a lot less of an rear end in a top hat but also to be honest, I kind of like that Percy's an rear end in a top hat sometimes.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wow they're just jumping right into it huh. No breathing room.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

CuwiKhons posted:

Among other things they changed, one of the more interesting ones is that Grog just finds Craven Edge (Sylas' sword) in the rubble and decides to keep it. In the original stream, the party chilled out in Whitestone for like a week afterwards for a well-timed Fantasy Christmas episode and Percy found the sword. And after inspecting it and coming to the conclusion that hmm yes, this sword is kind of hosed up, he.... gave it to Grog as a Fantasy Christmas present. Grog loved it. This change makes Percy a lot less of an rear end in a top hat but also to be honest, I kind of like that Percy's an rear end in a top hat sometimes.

I think this is purely a consequence of timing. With most of the season's arc being Percy is driven to nearly killing himself, his last remaining family, and all of his friends by his evil weapon, turning within minutes of screentime and knowingly giving Grog Craven's Edge isn't an rear end in a top hat move. It's pure villany.

I do like Keyleth's reaction to finally talking to the sun tree, and even though it's inaudible, I swear I could hear the voice by her response

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
:sbahj: that was an excellent finish. The first episode of the season compared to the last really felt like night and loving day. The Orthax design was loving top notch. Awesome and horrifying. The CGI has been hit and miss across the season but that was the cream of the crop . They definitely saved the best (and the money) for last. Now I hope they go all guns firing for the Conclave attack .

I think Grog swimming in the acid for the switch while Pike keeps healing him is like peak crazy D&D poo poo you see a party do. All while an electric guitar is playing.

Well done, Critical Role. Well done.

Paracaidas posted:

Lmfao gun throw into the acid was perfectly timed and toned

I was originally disappointed because I felt the original scene with Scalan taking it and breaking the darkness in Percy's heart had more emotion but thinking about it, going the comedic surprise angle is an absolute Scanlan thing

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

CuwiKhons posted:

To be fair, Percy just got done trying to murder his sister and all his friends. Additional arseholery on top of that would push him over the edge from 'bad boy who is kind of an arsehole' into 'irredeemably bad why the gently caress does anyone associate with him' territory.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I was originally disappointed because I felt the original scene with Scalan taking it and breaking the darkness in Percy's heart had more emotion but thinking about it, going the comedic surprise angle is an absolute Scanlan thing

I mean, Scanlan cast Friends and basically forced him to give him the gun. Then ran away as soon as it was flying through the air to hide behind Grog. Which would have been a good visual gag though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

I think this is purely a consequence of timing. With most of the season's arc being Percy is driven to nearly killing himself, his last remaining family, and all of his friends by his evil weapon, turning within minutes of screentime and knowingly giving Grog Craven's Edge isn't an rear end in a top hat move. It's pure villany.

Wyld Karde posted:

To be fair, Percy just got done trying to murder his sister and all his friends. Additional arseholery on top of that would push him over the edge from 'bad boy who is kind of an arsehole' into 'irredeemably bad why the gently caress does anyone associate with him' territory.

I am prepared to mildly defend Percy here in that it was an rear end in a top hat move but not a totally villainous one, however doing so would be big time spoilers for next season so it can wait.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

I really liked how it played out on stream, so I absolutely get where you're coming from. For me, I think that the story of the De Rolos ridding themselves of their demons was the beat that needed to be emphasized, and Delilah's clemency and death was handled perfectly. I think that how the gun played out gave viewers permission to laugh and feel comfortable that it's a pleasant season finale victorious wrapup (as did the more pastoral Your Turn to Role introing the keep) more than the stream version would have

CuwiKhons posted:

I am prepared to mildly defend Percy here in that it was an rear end in a top hat move but not a totally villainous one, however doing so would be big time spoilers for next season so it can wait.
I'm struggling to figure out how they make that distinction on screen without devoting way more time than it merits. I just think there are quicker, easier, and less likely to be misread ways of getting across that Percy's an rear end in a top hat (honestly the initial tavern brawl did a great job, as did Allura's visit to the keep and his buzzkilling at the campfire).

Even postponing to next season to give a break from the S1 finale would require some reminder of what the sword does, who owned it, and who found it while also showing that he learned enough about it that giving it Grog is a bit lovely but also that he didn't learn enough to know that it'll consume his soul.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Oh yeah, sorry, I meant I could defend it happening in the stream. There definitely wasn't time to do it in the show. Mostly I'm just disappointed that between the sword and them not going back to Krieg's stash to get the cursed skull means we'll never get to hear Percy's killer "Wow, I am a little evil magnet," line.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I liked how it went down on stream a lot but they did a great job translating that to a more short term cartoon. Changed a bit of the tones and dynamics but it told a more cohesive singular story which I'm sure was the entire point of doing this project.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

I wish they'd kept the fact that even with the reveal that yeah, Orthax was tied to the gun, Percy was still mad because making the List was so loving expensive and now it was just gone. But I guess I can see why they didn't. It was just very funny at the time.

To be fair, that part was more Taliesen than Percy, I feel. I am slightly disappointed they moved one line to be in this arc instead of next season: Percy's line about living as long as Whitestone does. In game it was a really touching moment between him and Keyleth and emphasising that connection to a place and a home. It's still sweet here, but it's taking one line from a monologue and that makes me a little sad.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I'm really intrigued by the choice to presumably have, instead of Diplomacy as a glove, it as a prosthetic implant instead. It's interesting both because it implies that they are either toning down healing, or Percy actually thinks it would be cooler to have a magical implant in his hand. I can't help but think that would be very uncomfortable or even painful? But then it's probably magical, so it probably is as comfortable as flesh.

It does mean they can probably give him an excuse for lingering minor magical abilities that doesn't rely on Orthax, though.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 18, 2022