Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

mandatory lesbian posted:

I like its story way better and i played them both in 2010 so to me, trigger is just a kinda standard jrpg while cross was at least attempting something experimental. Even if its messy as hell

To each their own. I do love that it's weird and experimental. I think two things would have made it one of the all time GOATS.
1. Drop the connection to CT. It hurts and does not contribute anything meaningful.
2. Drop at least half the player character roster and flesh out the remaining ones.
Plus, you know, tighten up the plotting and make it less messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Chrono cross doesn't have a main character named chrono so imo its superior

Neither does chrono trigger

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Links Awakening looks amazing holy hell. A bit blurry on a tv and the frames tank when entering a new area, but still. Never played the original or the Oracles duo. Would adore that to be ported.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

obviously trigger has some important things, yuji hori and akira toriyama

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

to this day people are so mad that crono dies offscreen between games. big whiners tbh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Chrono cross is popular I assume because it’s the shittier sequel to a beloved game.

If it didn’t have that connection no one would care.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Mother 1 is better than chrono trigger, final fantasy 6 and 7, and breath of fire 2 OP

:mods:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Chrono cross is popular I assume because it’s the shittier sequel to a beloved game.

it would be even better because it wouldnt have chrono trigger holding it back actually

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

nintendo dislikes mods

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

if it didn't have that association it would be a fondly remembered PSX RPG with flaws, like Legend of Legaia

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it would be even better because it wouldnt have chrono trigger holding it back actually

It would disappear into the ether like most 90s PSX RPGs

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Final Chrono Mother: Bound Fire of the Wild Battle 64

Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

you're more describing Tokyo RPG Factory games

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

pentyne posted:

Still can't believe they kept the name Triangle Strategy

They not only kept it, they made it part of the main theme's lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhTJ-Evv_U

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Let's not forget that Cross's plot is also totally incomprehensible.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
jeez is cross out already? gently caress you bowsers fury! Too many games!! gently caress!!

e: I am capable of googling, welp

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

this is my favourite part imo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

its actually very simple

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its actually very simple

Explain it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Xenogears switch port please nintendo thank you.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

:sweatdrop:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I think it is unfair to expect a coherent plot out of a square RPG when xenogears and FF8, their two greatest games, had plots that were completely incoherent and the fever dream of mad men. On a completely unrelated note I first did LSD in 1998.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1493057417986416644?t=5mYDTJxa22iCjFSQQSS0Jg&s=19

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Am I the only one that wants a Brave Fencer Musashi remake for Switch more than any thing else?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Wildtortilla posted:

Am I the only one that wants a Brave Fencer Musashi remake for Switch more than any thing else?

That'd be cool

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Libluini posted:

Breath of Fire 3 and 4 also came out for the PSP. 3 in full on UMD, the 4th part as part of the PSN.

Though Sony at some point disabled all those games on PSN so they can't be bought and/or downloaded anymore, I think.

I still have a PSP but only BoF3 is playable, since I still have the original UMD. For BoF4, I'll apparently need to hack my PSP with a homebrew to be allowed to play the game again from my card or some dumb poo poo like that, I was too lazy to go through the necessary work.

Getting a cheap used PSP and the 3rd game should be achievable, at least.

This thread got me to dig out my Vita and charge it so I can finally put CFW on it

Both games are buyable. BoF 3 is 9.99 and 4 is 5.99

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Jump with me grab coins with me

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just hope that the Live A Live release in 2DHD and the conspicuous lack of Chrono Trigger when Cross is getting a remaster are related in some way.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i hope they keep ignoring chrono trigger in favor of things that were never localized or ported to a variety of systems

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Looper posted:

i hope they keep ignoring chrono trigger in favor of things that were never localized or ported to a variety of systems

I'm not complaining about Live A Live at all, I just want a 2DHD version of Chrono Trigger. I love the look of Octopath and Triangle Strategy. Bring on the old niche games, too. :retrogames:

I know it's not Square, but someone port Panzer Dragoon Saga is what I'm saying.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean they literally have a built-in SNES emulator and presumably access to the Chrono Trigger ROM. I don’t know how much manpower is involved in putting it on the NSO but I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t actually detract from other projects outside of whatever deal they have to make with Squeenix to put it on there.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
drat there's really going to be a game in 96 hours.

e: this isn't the ps5 thread

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wildtortilla posted:

A remake would be nice. Whatever, I don't care. Honestly, I'd be happy with the original Brave Fencer Musashi being released on Switch. Or PS3. Or PS4. Or PS5. Or Steam. Or loving anywhere god drat it Square I want to give you my money let me play that loving game again.

The worst part is Japan got Brave Fencer Musashi on the PS3 but we didn't. For no reason!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The game director was horny for Kid and tried to use the power of the collective unconscious to make his OC waifu real in an alternate dimension.

Makes about as much sense as any other interpretation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

But seriously folks, Breath of Fire 1 and 2 ports when?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the story is far from incomprehensible. it's complicated, sure, but it really fits together quite neatly when you get all the pieces.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

But seriously folks, Breath of Fire 1 and 2 ports when?
Ports? Whenever you buy a Nintendo Switch Online subscription, they're on there already. Remasters/remakes? Probably never, I'm pretty sure that's a series that's deader than disco, much to my dismay.

E: If you were instead talking about ports of 3 or 4, I'unno it might happen if we wish hard enough. Start a playthrough of one of them on PSN, that seems to be a good way to wish a game into existence.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 14, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Infernax looks like edgelord Zelda 2/Castlevania 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PtslHPpgsY

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I played a bunch of Chrono Trigger while on vacation. Haven't touched it since. I want to love it but it just didn't grab me. I think I had made it to the point where you can zip around the different time periods. Not sure how far in I had made it.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve also been playing through the Castlevania Advance collection. I loved these games as a kid.

Circle of the Moon was brutally difficult and the double tap to dash controls almost made me quit, but I powered through the BS bosses with rewind and overall felt like it was mediocre.

I quit Harmony of Dissonance halfway though because the castle layout is terrible and the designers clearly hate the player. It’s full of dead ends, long snaking hallways, and the warp points are so inconvenient. It takes forever to go anywhere and most of the game is backtracking. The visuals are cool as hell though.

I’m halfway though Aria of Sorrow and this game is basically perfect. Crisp controls, awesome soul system, and a great map with super nicely placed teleporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Commander Keene posted:

Ports? Whenever you buy a Nintendo Switch Online subscription, they're on there already. Remasters/remakes? Probably never, I'm pretty sure that's a series that's deader than disco, much to my dismay.

They are? Well poo poo, I guess I gotta pay for a subscription while I replay them...