Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
nevermind as soon as I asked I knew I'd figure it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Diephoon posted:

I'm gonna follow this island route
https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/resources/road-to-rohendel

There's a reddit thread/table with specific rewards if you want to plot a route yourself
https://www.reddit.com/r/lostarkgame/comments/srrz8e/all_lost_ark_island_rewards_enjoy/

oh this is much better. Been having a hard time finding good guides for this game so far.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Am I missing something, is there a reason I can't equip the Ugo and Varut cards?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
From what I've figured out, there's two kinds of cards: the kind you can equip and the kind that will eventually give you passive bonuses. On the card screen, there's the Equip tab and the Books tab. As far as I can tell, every card goes into the Books tab and when you complete a set of cards you get a permanent passive bonus that can be improved by levelling up cards. Some cards are can be equipped, and those are the ones you can hot swap out. It seems like cards aren't really a thing to worry about until you're already running out of other things to optimize.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lynx Winters posted:

From what I've figured out, there's two kinds of cards: the kind you can equip and the kind that will eventually give you passive bonuses. On the card screen, there's the Equip tab and the Books tab. As far as I can tell, every card goes into the Books tab and when you complete a set of cards you get a permanent passive bonus that can be improved by levelling up cards. Some cards are can be equipped, and those are the ones you can hot swap out. It seems like cards aren't really a thing to worry about until you're already running out of other things to optimize.

Huh..okay. Weird that they give you two cards you can't equip and then tell you to go equip cards to get power but, well, this game has a lot of stuff like that I guess.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a few questions for how characters work:

1) what does it mean for someone to be your "main character" (or whatever the game calls it on your character screen)? does that confer bonuses?
2) is there anything like FFXIV's underleveled jobs level faster until they catch up for alts?
3) am i still just supposed to do the main story for leveling alts?

edit:

4) is repeating dungeons useful/viable for exp while leveling? or are they only worth doing once?

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 14, 2022

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Is this a good game?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Countblanc posted:

a few questions for how characters work:

1) what does it mean for someone to be your "main character" (or whatever the game calls it on your character screen)? does that confer bonuses?
2) is there anything like FFXIV's underleveled jobs level faster until they catch up for alts?
3) am i still just supposed to do the main story for leveling alts?

edit:

4) is repeating dungeons useful/viable for exp while leveling? or are they only worth doing once?

1) Nothing.
2) Finish the story through Vern (like 50 + 1 bar) to get 2 level 50 boosts for other characters.
3) Outside of the boosts, there are other passive ways to train.

Just beeline the main quest with one character. Don’t repeat content, don’t play a bunch of alts. Don’t do yellow ! Quests. Consider yellow ! with a chain if you want. Once you get your boosts, do whatever you want.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Nebrilos posted:

Is this a good game?

Yeah, sure

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nebrilos posted:

Is this a good game?

Jesus I am about to say an MMORPG is good, but yes it is good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saintone is going over some important info and also updated his FAQ to include some other questions. Basically if you are mad that you think you bricked your character because you opened the "wrong" green book for your class engraving then dont be. Theres a repeatable quest you can do max out on green class engravings. Blue ones you are going to have to grind with the other usual ways, he goes over those too.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
How is this not an arpg. It's an MMOARPG. Mmo is a prefix, not a genre

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I did laugh at the dungeon where you start out really tiny and you're climbing around on huge books and poo poo. I have a boat and i haven't seen Armen in quite a while. I figured out that stagger moves are breaking the bosses purple bar and if the bar empties the boss gets stunned and everyone gets to do huge damage. I still haven't figured out what weak point means or how exactly to counter.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm leveling up a DPS (Shadowhunter) so that I can use the level 50 boost on a Bard. What should I do with my Gold Founder Pack, should I wait to open it on the Bard or does it have a bunch of sweet leveling poo poo that will help my Shadow get past this god awful story faster?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HardKase posted:

Because when people hear arpg they think diablo and poe and this game might be superficially similar (95% of it is the camera perspective) but the rest is korean MMO.

And korean is a significantly heavier adjective than action in this case.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Cannot Skip
First Clear

*hammers the ESC key*

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

HardKase posted:

Ppl hear “ARPG” and start playing then ask why they can’t pause the game. It’s an MMORPG with ARPG-like combat. For better and worse.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Theres a repeatable quest you can do max out on green class engravings.

Yo where is this my island expeditions are only giving me the regular engravings and taking forever I'd rather just GGGGGGG in the same zone to catch up my two boosts

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hope I never ever have to do these quests again because the leveling is atrocious.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I hope I never ever have to do these quests again because the leveling is atrocious.

Pressing G is my kink.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

acumen posted:

Yo where is this my island expeditions are only giving me the regular engravings and taking forever I'd rather just GGGGGGG in the same zone to catch up my two boosts

Actually apparently its not repeatable, he made it sound like it was in his stream but I guess he meant repeatable on alts, which is something you cant do with islands for example.

So chances are you might have done it already, its the memories of luterra, that you can for the pretty boy king.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I am stupid. To me this isn't very obvious how Knowledge Transfer works. I am trying to boost a 3rd alt to level 50, but it won't let me, but I don't understand what I am missing?

You gotta make the alt, get it to the point that it gets escape song in the first village (5sh minutes from creation?) and then recall to your home and queue it up on that actual character. It's unintuitive, the interface implies you could target a character on your account with any character, but you need to go get it on the actual character you want to KT to.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nebrilos posted:

Is this a good game?

Overall? Yeah when it's good it's really good. Unfortunately you have to slog through some of the most boring questing ever created to get to the awesome parts where you are blowing up legions of people/demons/local wildlife. Once you finally get to level 50 you can start engaging in the end game dungeons and raids, and this is where the game shines.

acumen posted:

oh this is much better. Been having a hard time finding good guides for this game so far.

One of my guildmates just posted this map in discord, I don't know the source.

e: Here's another island reward resource. Keep in mind you can search for the names of these islands on the map to get their exact location in game.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iCDIvEqyuq8gMJgCORDtOD-HO8zkaPhu1vwX0GnHgjc

I have officially switched mains to Blue Gunlancer. I ran the first couple Raid Guardians again and didn't give a poo poo about taking damage at all. I drank one potion on the second Guardian fight and we didn't have a Bard or a Paladin. I don't even have the Class Engraving yet for extra shielding but I'm excited to play with it. This playstyle takes most of the gun out of Gunlancer but I'm still enjoying the fantasy of being a shield smashy shouty lightning guy that just stands up in the boss' grill all day.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 14, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
People are so hilariously bad at Abyss Dungeons. It is amazing. Mechanics, lol.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Diephoon posted:

Overall? Yeah when it's good it's really good. Unfortunately you have to slog through some of the most boring questing ever created to get to the awesome parts where you are blowing up legions of people/demons/local wildlife. Once you finally get to level 50 you can start engaging in the end game dungeons and raids, and this is where the game shines.

One of my guildmates just posted this map in discord, I don't know the source.

e: Here's another island reward resource. Keep in mind you can search for the names of these islands on the map to get their exact location in game.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iCDIvEqyuq8gMJgCORDtOD-HO8zkaPhu1vwX0GnHgjc

I have officially switched mains to Blue Gunlancer. I ran the first couple Raid Guardians again and didn't give a poo poo about taking damage at all. I drank one potion on the second Guardian fight and we didn't have a Bard or a Paladin. I don't even have the Class Engraving yet for extra shielding but I'm excited to play with it. This playstyle takes most of the gun out of Gunlancer but I'm still enjoying the fantasy of being a shield smashy shouty lightning guy that just stands up in the boss' grill all day.

Can you tell me what build you are using? I tried Gunlancer for a bit but never felt like I had a good flow going.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Lawlicaust posted:

Depends.

If you want to do more CC and follow-up on stagger, do combat readiness and master brawler. You are beefier and can ignore lots of mechanics.

If you want to do big dps and like your lance, go lone knight and grudge.

I have points in most of the above depending on the situation.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Grudge and cursed doll are universal good options for every damage dealer.
Engravings are shared roster-wide so they're a good pick if you plan to roll alts. They're also the most expensive in the game if you want to buy them on the auction house instead of getting them from selector chests.

But the first thing you need to decide is whether you want to do "blue build" focusing on the blue-icon shield skills or the "red build" focusing on the red-icon lance skills. Gunlancer has two class engravings that each buff up one of the playstyles: Lone Knight for red Gunlancer or Combat Readiness for blue.
The two guides on maxroll.gg suggest Super Charge for red build and Barricade for blue build as cheap + effective starter engravings. They'll probably be much cheaper to trade for than grudge / cursed doll.
This is more of a general tip for everyone that's learning encounters

Do not blindly slot in Grudge early on. Grudge at level 1 or 2 is not worth the incoming damage penalty. Only worry about Grudge once you have the points to take it straight to level 3 and are comfortable in raids vs learning them.

https://lostarklife.com/
Scroll down to your class's specialization and look at the engravings with higher % use rates. Scroll right to see more engravings on the table.

Cursed Doll is another one that you shouldn't slot in until it is level 2 or 3 unless you really like using up your HP% pots

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

StarkRavingMad posted:

Can you tell me what build you are using? I tried Gunlancer for a bit but never felt like I had a good flow going.

https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/build-guides/combat-readiness-gunlancer-raid-guide

I boosted mine so I can't speak as to how levelling feels. Probably slow.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The loot preview for chaos dungeon resonance 2 (the 340 ilevel version) shows I should be getting purple accessories from it, but all I get are blues. I do get purples from the second guardian. What gives?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Diephoon posted:

https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/build-guides/combat-readiness-gunlancer-raid-guide

I boosted mine so I can't speak as to how levelling feels. Probably slow.

Thanks!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gyoru posted:

This is more of a general tip for everyone that's learning encounters

Do not blindly slot in Grudge early on. Grudge at level 1 or 2 is not worth the incoming damage penalty. Only worry about Grudge once you have the points to take it straight to level 3 and are comfortable in raids vs learning them.

https://lostarklife.com/
Scroll down to your class's specialization and look at the engravings with higher % use rates. Scroll right to see more engravings on the table.

Cursed Doll is another one that you shouldn't slot in until it is level 2 or 3 unless you really like using up your HP% pots

That's a cool website
unfortunately its formatting is super hosed up and the table + header scroll separately so it's really difficult to actually read the columns beyond the first few.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I am stupid. To me this isn't very obvious how Knowledge Transfer works. I am trying to boost a 3rd alt to level 50, but it won't let me, but I don't understand what I am missing?

This guy has a 5 min tutorial on it too

https://youtu.be/D_KpDtZseT8

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Game is pretty loving dang good. It’s not hard but I still get caught unawares and get beat up sometimes (around level 25). People say it really opens up and gets a lot funner which sounds great since I think it’s already pretty dang fun.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Having used my two free boosts I can safely say that Game is Fun and not as complicated as a lot of people make it out to be (mainly guide makers who want people to look at their content).

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I'm like 0/10 for Nacrasena im going mad

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

StarkRavingMad posted:

I use something similar to this:

https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/build-guides/gunlancer-chaos-dungeon-cube-guide

Surge Cannon is absolutely ridiculous and reduces half its cooldown on hits. Between it and thunderbolt you blast through most packs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sintor posted:

You gotta make the alt, get it to the point that it gets escape song in the first village (5sh minutes from creation?) and then recall to your home and queue it up on that actual character. It's unintuitive, the interface implies you could target a character on your account with any character, but you need to go get it on the actual character you want to KT to.

Ooh man thank you. I had given up and just wasn't going to try to figure it out. Okay now I know what to do.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Cool pro tip for characters who want their class engraving online quickly to make their build work: if you get it to 3 pips with the green books, you can equip it in both of your engraving slots giving you 6 pips in total and turning on the class engraving effect.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

kaxman posted:

I did laugh at the dungeon where you start out really tiny and you're climbing around on huge books and poo poo. I have a boat and i haven't seen Armen in quite a while. I figured out that stagger moves are breaking the bosses purple bar and if the bar empties the boss gets stunned and everyone gets to do huge damage. I still haven't figured out what weak point means or how exactly to counter.

I had read that abilities with blue warning zones are the ones that are counterable, but I don't have counter abilities myself (I think) to test it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

This motherfucker keeps kill stealing my bosses

I’m leveling still. Feels like Arman is the Thrall of this game, just last hits and KS’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

For the Adventurer's Tome stuff, do I only need one of each collectable or do I need to grind out the full 25?