Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
before the ring, introducing lord of the rings: the rings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shang Chi and the Lord of the Ten Rings

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Don't think i will be watching tv masters of the rings show

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Kingo Ligma posted:

I definitely read some different comments lol,.it just had 50,000 posts of the same lotr quote in multiple languages

"Зло не может создать ничего нового, оно может только испортить и разрушить то, что изобрели или создали добрые силы". - Дж. Р.Р. Толкин.

:lmao:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pee Pee Tonkn

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The black lady dwarf should have a big beard

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I checked out the black dwarf / elf discussion on a swedish forum and it's just full of racists talking about The Globalist Agenda and Wokeness and Black Elves is the worst thing to have ever happened in media

Now I'm really not a huge tolkien nerd but weren't the dwarves and elves created by god, who is very much real in the setting? Like literally made from nothing by the big wizard in the sky? So why wouldn't there possibly be variations of elves and dwarves? It's just magic bullshit

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Wait till they hear about redguard in the elder scrolls

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I loved City of Lost Children in the 90s, but I have a feeling that going back and watching it now would be pretty :yikeseroo:

It honestly holds up and still rocks

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The dwarves were made by a rogue angel or something

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Finished watching Dressed to kill (1980)

DePalma put lots of Hitchcock in his movies. On a rewatch you can see Caine’s psychiatrist following Dickinson around the museum.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 14, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TIP posted:

"reactionaries"

:lmao:

????????????????????????????????

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine you were a young black actor who really wanted to be in LOTR cos you liked the movies (or just cos you wanted the job for you career) and you get the role of a literal made up character like an elf or dwarf and then a load of racist nerds start crying online about the elf or dwarf being black. So so lame.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There were also non-white people in Middle Earth (they allied with Sauron though bad look John Ron) these nerds don't even know the lore.

I did enjoy his badass letter to the Nazi publisher.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Having a black dwarf is ridiculous liberal tokenism.
There should be lots of black dwarves.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

John rhys davies would NOT approve

It sucks growing up and finding out lots of actors you liked are giant turds :(

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Dabir posted:

The black lady dwarf should have a big beard

Yea I don't care about anything else but the beardless dwarf is a travesty

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Groovelord Neato posted:

There were also non-white people in Middle Earth (they allied with Sauron though bad look John Ron)

I wonder what the wild left/right Twitter takes would be if they just filmed that straight

Imagine all the dorks crying now about there being a black dwarf suddenly changing their tunes if he was the only evil dwarf in middle earth… “acccctually it’s a fictional world and they’re just staying true to the history”

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Shoulda tossed him down the pit

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

don't worry about John rhy Davies. The real gimli was his stunt double who got the tattoo with the rest of the cast.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hemale in pain posted:

don't worry about John rhy Davies. The real gimli was his stunt double who got the tattoo with the rest of the cast.

that guys insanely much cooler than John Rhys Davies lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JRD had the good voice tho, did treebeard too. good poo poo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to make it look cheap because supposedly they spent over $400 million on it, and the cast is virtually unknown, so it's probably not going to salaries.

It's also not going to competent set designers, costumers or anyone else with any real skill or prior experience

E: because they're Unionized

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 14, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wish AMazon would put out a 4K trailer or something. their Prime app compression is loving dire

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wonder how much money has been pissed away trying to chase Game of Thrones.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
With the original LOTR movies, wasn't there something about almost all the props and weapons used in those movies where they given over to someone outside the actual film production as part of the negotiation for the film rights?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Movies and shows look like poo poo now because companies would rather spend half a billion on cgi sets or costumes than spend a few million hiring someone with a union

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Just finished The Mechanic, pretty fun Bronson flick.

I liked the intro that had no dialogue for like 10-15 mins and little baby face Jan Michael Vincent!

Also that ending...lmao

Akalies
May 31, 2000

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wonder how much money has been pissed away trying to chase Game of Thrones.

HBO themselves blew 30 mil on a GOT spinoff pilot that'll never see the light of day.

https://news.yahoo.com/game-thrones-pilot-cancelled-spin-132707701.html

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

What did he do / say?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

said "nobody tosses a dwarf"

and then got tossed

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Moola posted:

What did he do / say?

Normal old person stuff. Confused about cancel culture, pro capitalism, doesn't understand climate change and angry at women etc etc

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Moola posted:

What did he do / say?

Self-styled "rational sceptic" who just happens to believe that Christian civilisation dating back to the Romans is the source of everything good in the world, supporter of Thatcher ever since he went to heckle her and watched the two hecklers before him get so thoroughly owned that he switched parties on the spot, very concerned about the creeping Islamisation of Europe, loves Brexit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

Normal old person stuff. Confused about cancel culture, pro capitalism, doesn't understand climate change and angry at women etc etc

I remember him saying Aragorn was George W. Bush and he thought it was funny because Vigo was (like every sane person) anti-Bush.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Collapsing Farts posted:

Now I'm really not a huge tolkien nerd but weren't the dwarves and elves created by god, who is very much real in the setting? Like literally made from nothing by the big wizard in the sky? So why wouldn't there possibly be variations of elves and dwarves? It's just magic bullshit

Elves and Men were created by God and the Valar and Maiar (angels) went down to earth and based their physical forms in the image of God's children.

Dwarves on the other hand were created by Aulë the Smith, one of the Valar. He jumped the gun by making his own people, so God gave the Dwarves life and agency, but as penance they were forbidden to awaken until both Elves and Men had risen in Middle Earth.

There's seven great houses of the Dwarves but the one most of the stories deal with are Durin's Folk, who are the archetypal Nordic Dwarf. Black Dwarf queenie could easily be from a different Dwarf lineage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Just finished The Mechanic, pretty fun Bronson flick.

I liked the intro that had no dialogue for like 10-15 mins and little baby face Jan Michael Vincent!

Also that ending...lmao

The ending is amazing

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Trap sprung

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SDoUOBCAAI

yes

YES!!!

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Dabir posted:

Having a black dwarf is ridiculous liberal tokenism.
There should be lots of black dwarves.

*smashes in the door* did anyone say Tolkienism yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Jimlit posted:

a baby thought from a baby reg date

drat this guy is cool as poo poo hes been posting on somethingawful forums for a long time smile

e:loving nerd