Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Supposedly the Rings of Power Trailer will air during the Super Bowl circa 5:30 Pacific time, for those who may be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
That’s about 2 hours after kickoff. So I’d imagine it’s the first commercial break after the halftime show, or maybe the first commercial break of the 3rd quarter.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I saw somewhere it’s supposed to be 3rd quarter

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Looks OK

Feels like this show will live or die on if the actor can deliver Galadriel as a badass elf lady

Also to treat it as fanfiction on the Shadow of Mordor level

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just saw the ad and it looked kinda bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tv commercial looks great y’all

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

my bony fealty posted:

Looks OK

Feels like this show will live or die on if the actor can deliver Galadriel as a badass elf lady

Yeah it felt like she was in basically every second or third shot, so it feels pretty dependent on her. Hopefully she's got the chops to pull it off.

My interest is piqued, and I'm definitely going to watch, but it's still in the "zero expectations" category.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I don't think it gave me any information at all to determine whether it would be good or bad.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Oh and if anyone didn't see it:

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1493038294065577984

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

webmeister posted:

Yeah it felt like she was in basically every second or third shot, so it feels pretty dependent on her. Hopefully she's got the chops to pull it off.

My interest is piqued, and I'm definitely going to watch, but it's still in the "zero expectations" category.

Same

sweet geek swag posted:

I don't think it gave me any information at all to determine whether it would be good or bad.
The costumes look great, i love the character designs, and they care enough to do things like give Galadriel a two trees themed dagger. writing could still be trash, but at least there are some good signs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

CGI Galadriel being ice Lara Croft is either 1) total garbage trash bad sign or 2) extremely fuckin rad if it's actually the crossing of the Helcaraxë

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This show could be amazing and people will hate it like it killed their children.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish the text didn't go "before the King, before the Fellowship, before the Ring". You're not a prequel to the Peter Jackson movies, stop assuming everyone knows what you're talking about.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's literally one of the most popular film trilogies of all time. They clean-swept the Oscars. Why would you not want to invoke that memory?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Man, that just left me completely cold. I didn't hate it, I just didn't feel anything. I'm usually a sucker for a good trailer, but nope. Nothing. The costumes look good enough, but sort of sterile.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I know it’s a teaser but I’m glad they haven’t given away the whole show yet. The effects look good enough I guess so it will come down to writing and acting.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I know it’s a teaser but I’m glad they haven’t given away the whole show yet. The effects look good enough I guess so it will come down to writing and acting.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I liked Elrond wearing gull wings on his shoulders. He loves his momma. :3:

The trailer doesn't tell much about the plot, as I might have expected, but everything looks much better in motion than in publicity stills. Meneltarma, Helcaraxe, and Gil-Galad look great.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

There is literally nothing of value lost if the show is bad, but still plenty to gain.

If they're bad I hope they're bad like the Hobbit movies, which in many spots felt like Tolkien seasoning atop a delicious, greasy, cholesterol-laden fried chicken bucket of D&D anecdotes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm. I don't think it looks bad or anything, but that seems like a bizarre trailer and I'm not sure who it was for. By the end of it I had no idea what they were trying to sell me on.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Hm. I don't think it looks bad or anything, but that seems like a bizarre trailer and I'm not sure who it was for. By the end of it I had no idea what they were trying to sell me on.

Elves. Men. Dwarves. Hobbits. Cool set pieces. On screen text directly invoking the original trilogy.

It’s pretty obvious that they’re trying to draw in fans of the films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sure, I guess I just didn't feel like they did that effectively. Many of those particular shots feel like unusual choices if your show is chock full of those things.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Sure, I guess I just didn't feel like they did that effectively. Many of those particular shots feel like unusual choices if your show is chock full of those things.

I mean, they’re trying to invoke the original trilogy without having any direct ties to it or any rights to the book material. I’d say they did a decent job of it.

They’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t. If they invoke the Jackson movies too much they’ll be accused of being unoriginal and just cashing in on someone else’s success. If they don’t they’ll be accused of ignoring and dishonoring the legacy of one of the greatest film franchises of all time.

They’re walking a pretty narrow tightrope at the moment. So far nothing has turned me off. But we’ll see.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The message was "Do you remember Lord of the Rings? Well, get ready for more of it"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But surely after having finished principal photography months ago you can evoke hobbit-like imagery with a better shot than a closeup of a curly-haired person sitting in front of a... lantern near a root? If that's what you're trying to convey, are there really no shots that better than that to sell your potentially-nostalgic audience on the "Wow look it's a hobbit!" moment of your trailer?

I don't know, maybe I'm just nitpicking or way off base about this, but it feels like a poorly cut trailer to me.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

But surely after having finished principal photography months ago you can evoke hobbit-like imagery with a better shot than a closeup of a curly-haired person sitting in front of a... lantern near a root? If that's what you're trying to convey, are there really no shots that better than that to sell your potentially-nostalgic audience on the "Wow look it's a hobbit!" moment of your trailer?

I don't know, maybe I'm just nitpicking or way off base about this, but it feels like a poorly cut trailer to me.

Thats what the big wide shots of impressive scenery did. Honestly think it evoked what most people probably think of the lord of the rings movies just fine, seems like it just didn't evoke what you personally remember of the lord of the rings movies.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The imagery was good, and very pretty, but they spent so much money on this that if it didn't look gorgeous I'd be extremely worried.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Some cool stuff in that teaser and some stuff that looked ok, really not enough to make a fair judgement.

I do wonder if theyre going with Blue Wizards arriving the Second Age and that shot of the fireball and man in the fire is one of them arriving. With what could be the Harfoot in that fire shot, might be going for a sort of proto-Gandalf/Hobbit relationship.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Googled "Rings of Power" on Youtube last night (UK) as I wasn't sure what time it'd drop in America and (I was too early) man, there was a depressing amount of idiots spouting "Amazon goes woke. Show will be a disaster" etc talking head videos . Apparently just from the screenshots.

I am now determined to watch this show and love every second just to spite these people.

Edit: Watched it again on the IGN feed and Jesus the comments (4k plus) are just wall to wall copy paste of

“Evil cannot create anything new, they can only corrupt.” - J.R.R Tolkien

For fucks sake. :rolleyes:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 14, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Deptfordx posted:

I am now determined to watch this show and love every second just to spite these people.

As a refined cis het gentleman, I only watch this show, if it is great. I'm radical in that way.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Deptfordx posted:

Googled "Rings of Power" on Youtube last night (UK) as I wasn't sure what time it'd drop in America and (I was too early) man, there was a depressing amount of idiots spouting "Amazon goes woke. Show will be a disaster" etc talking head videos . Apparently just from the screenshots.

Edit: Watched it again on the IGN feed and Jesus the comments (4k plus) are just wall to wall copy paste of

Yeah I've seen one video of some guy ranting about this (and that'll do, pig). It's incredible how the entire thing is apparently ruined forever because of two dark skinned characters and a different direction for Galadriel. Also the way that quote is re-interpreted to mean "Anything new or different IS evil" is sure something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

The message was "Do you remember Lord of the Rings? Well, get ready for more of it"

Yeah . Pretty good message.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

I have a feeling that these idiots are interpreting that quote to mean “anything new = evil” which is not what it means.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

all joking aside though, it's going to be a bad show.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

looks more like the hobbit than the lotr. which is bad imo but ill give it a shot.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If it’s bad then cool, we can all ignore it and pretend it doesn’t exist.

If it’s good then cool, we get new content to enjoy.

And honestly, “woke” is up there with words like soy, beta, cuck etc in that anyone using it can be safely ignored.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

it will live and die by the writing. if its good, im on board for new content as i think it follows in the spirit of Tolkien wanting others to create in his framework. granted i think he meant more like "write a song about the dagor bragollach" and not a new tv show, but gently caress it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Southpaugh posted:

looks more like the hobbit than the lotr. which is bad imo but ill give it a shot.

That reminds me, anyone who hated the bit in the Hobbit where legolas jumps across falling stone should definitely watch the Uncharted film

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll have a hard time seeing it through any lens other than "Will it avoid the problems that dogged the Wheel of Time series?"

Covid happening midway through, attenuated season / small episode count to adapt a preexisting closed-ended story, tiptoeing around the fundamental regressive discomfort of the premise, a major actor leaving for unexplained reasons ...

...Those are all factors that shouldn't affect this show, theoretically. What might affect it is that it all just seems kind of generic high-fantasy which is what a lot of people dismissed WoT as, fairly or not. Will they be able to ride enough cultural awareness of the basic Tolkien universe story beats that they can count on audience buy-in just on the basis of a few name-drops of characters they already know? WoT didn't have that benefit either.

It's theirs to screw up, I guess is what I'm saying.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
A lot of live-action fantasy is just plain bad, it's a difficult genre to adapt.

The fact that they only have the basic beats of what's happening in that era is another challenge, and I expect in particular that they'll really struggle with getting the dialogue right and not having an entire script worth of phrases that have more in common with original lines from the movies.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 14, 2022