Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
So Ford is removing the vaccine mandate and Trudeau might be invoking the Emergencies Act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Expanded capacity in Ontario this week and vax passports are done March 1.

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1493235429075791880
https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1493236510300286978

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Even if that's true (LOL) they are going to take credit for it and just double down and make masks the next demand.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

MasterSitsu posted:

Even if that's true (LOL) they are going to take credit for it and just double down and make masks the next demand.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

MasterSitsu posted:

https://twitter.com/Tommy_Slick/status/1403455163524812800

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1493242902365016066

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HappyHippo posted:

So Ford is removing the vaccine mandate and Trudeau might be invoking the Emergencies Act

With how terrible the local police response has been putting them under RCMP command has to be an improvement, right?

Yes I know ACAB but at this point it's worth a shot.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2022/02/ghost-of-pierre-elliott-trudeau-urges-justin-to-say-the-line/

quote:

Ghost of Pierre Elliott Trudeau urges Justin to “say the line”

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
apparently the vaccine passport removal is about elimination of mandatory passports, but the infrastructure will remain for businesses that want to continue to offer it.

Honestly... I'm not happy with it, but a lot more fine with that than a complete elimination. Let the plague rats have their plague centers.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

apparently the vaccine passport removal is about elimination of mandatory passports, but the infrastructure will remain for businesses that want to continue to offer it.

Honestly... I'm not happy with it, but a lot more fine with that than a complete elimination. Let the plague rats have their plague centers.

it isn’t fair to the businesses that want to continue it. they will be harassed and targeted by these asshats.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Edited for accuracy:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Kady O'Malley in iPolitics has the process angle of what is required by Parliament to actually invoke the Emergencies Act.

https://ipolitics.ca/2022/02/14/process-nerd-pm-to-invoke-emergencies-act-whats-next/

What this doesn't quite explain for me is what this actually DOES. Justin Ling's interpretation of the Act suggests it doesn't give the Feds the power to take control of the OPS, for example, but could prohibit public assembly or the use of specific property (like Wellington Street, for example?)

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1493242497925099522

Emergencies Act text here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/e-4.5/page-1.html

So my question still falls to what does this do that would make people who have so far ignored the law subject to it? Would this actually force enforcement? Most reporting also seems to say there is still no plan to bring in the military (which, imo, is good) but if this is just new prohibitions and possible consequences, will it do anything if the people charged with actually making it happen don't make it happen?

I stand to be corrected here. I'm not a law expert.

Phylodox posted:

Edited for accuracy:

:hmmyes:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

TulliusCicero posted:

Imagine being an American White supremacist/ Facist and being too chicken poo poo to do anything in your own country that is far more conservative, so you fund a bunch of Larpers to start the White Man Revolution in loving Canada of all places

Takes a whole new level of pathetic honestly

Eh, I think strategy is in play here.

This is a test of various ways to make infrastructure, a test of strategy and tactics, and finally a recon by fire against the western states.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Development posted:

it isn’t fair to the businesses that want to continue it. they will be harassed and targeted by these asshats.

Exactly. They've already been dealing with shitheads when it was a provincial health order. Now that it's optional, it's only going to get worse.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

HackensackBackpack posted:

So my question still falls to what does this do that would make people who have so far ignored the law subject to it? Would this actually force enforcement? Most reporting also seems to say there is still no plan to bring in the military (which, imo, is good) but if this is just new prohibitions and possible consequences, will it do anything if the people charged with actually making it happen don't make it happen?

The most immediate effect I can see is that it would empower Parliament to regulate (or outright forbid) the occupation of a certain area; or parking a truck there; or having fuel; or going from this place to that; or any other things they think are contributing to disorder but are currently protected by one's section 2 rights.

As I understand it, they can't compel the police to enforce the order, but they can hold the province responsible for not complying with it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Exactly. They've already been dealing with shitheads when it was a provincial health order. Now that it's optional, it's only going to get worse.

I'm sure people will understand that "freedom" includes the freedom to demand proof of vaccination from anyone entering the place business. My business, my rules.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
They don't even respect people's "freedom" to wear a mask if they choose.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I'm sure people will understand that "freedom" includes the freedom to demand proof of vaccination from anyone entering the place business. My business, my rules.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha... you're joking, right? These chucklefucks just think that "freedom" applies to them. How dare you ask them to respect the rules of your establishment or refuse them service because you don't want them making GBS threads in the deep frier or wiping their asses with the hamburger patties.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

HappyHippo posted:

They don't even respect people's "freedom" to wear a mask if they choose.

If you like that you're gonna love hearing what they think about hijab

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

pokeyman posted:

To them, freedom means "I get to do what I want, and you also get to do what I want."

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
You see, my freedom is greater than your freedom. It's natural law.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Scott Moe told Saskatchewan businesses to get a lawyer if they want to try to enforce proof of vaccinations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mokinokaro posted:

With how terrible the local police response has been putting them under RCMP command has to be an improvement, right?

Yes I know ACAB but at this point it's worth a shot.

Generally RCMP seem to be actually worse and more chuddy than local police in the past

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alctel posted:

Generally RCMP seem to be actually worse and more chuddy than local police in the past

Yeah but they'd have to reconcile that with how much they love to tase people. Really the approximately three visible minorities in the Honkies should be extra worried.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Emergencies Act has been enacted. Time to kick some fascist rear end! :getin:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Randalor posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha... you're joking, right? These chucklefucks just think that "freedom" applies to them. How dare you ask them to respect the rules of your establishment or refuse them service because you don't want them making GBS threads in the deep frier or wiping their asses with the hamburger patties.

Yes I am joking.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Grouchio posted:

The Emergencies Act has been enacted. Time to kick some fascist rear end! :getin:

quote:

Once cabinet declares an emergency, it takes effect right away — but the government still needs to go to Parliament within seven days to get approval. If either the Commons or the Senate votes against the motion, the emergency declaration is revoked

That said, Singh says NDP will support the measure, despite thinking that using it is an admission of failure. Let's see what the house of sober second thought has to say on the subject.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

infernal machines posted:

That said, Singh says NDP will support the measure, despite thinking that using it is an admission of failure.

Singh trying to pin it on Trudeau instead of Ford is just him trying to score political points with Canadians who don't know what's provincial vs. federal jurisdiction.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1493273270375927808

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That said, Singh says NDP will support the measure, despite thinking that using it is an admission of failure. Let's see what the house of sober second thought has to say on the subject.

Can't imagine the senate being pleased with the feds cracking down on so many future members of the red chamber.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

Singh trying to pin it on Trudeau instead of Ford is just him trying to score political points with Canadians who don't know what's provincial vs. federal jurisdiction.

I'd say that's a pretty broad audience, TBH

Cocaine Bear posted:

Can't imagine the senate being pleased with the feds cracking down on so many future members of the red chamber.

Yeah... I seem to remember the senate as being at least somewhat wingnut aligned, but who knows?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

No plans to deploy the military. I wonder how this will help the feckless police do their job.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ZeeBoi posted:

No plans to deploy the military. I wonder how this will help the feckless police do their job.
The Windsor police (among other cop forces) are heading to Ottawa last I heard. :shrug:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

And to think I'd probably be arrested if i pissed on the victims of communism monument. (Is that actually built yet?)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Having out of town police was a big part of why the G20 went the way it did in Toronto, so look forward to that, I guess.

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Having out of town police was a big part of why the G20 went the way it did in Toronto, so look forward to that, I guess.

They'll have twice as much work though, as they'll have to subdue the OPS before they can start with the protestors.

edit: well, 1 1/2 times as much work.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
https://mobile.twitter.com/ByJamesKeller/status/1493282670985375749
So this is fun

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The Canadian government trampling on Canadians' sacred second amendment rights, which we have.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

The Canadian government trampling on Canadians' sacred second amendment rights, which we have.

I've ran into a guy on the train bragging about his concealed carry license, which I'm pretty sure isn't a thing for civilians here, and a guy at a protest no-joke saying we should defend the 2nd amendment, to which naturally the entire crowd screamed back "This isn't America".

I feel that about 90% of idiots pushing this angle are just Americans who apparently are doing protest tourism here, and the other 10% actually want the US to annex Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wonder if it's somehow related to the people with guns and cop/firefighter uniforms.

I will never support The second amendment, which recognizes BC as a province of Canada.