Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Comrade Fakename posted:

Is there a decent recap of the story of ZD anywhere?

There's a lengthy recap video at the start of Horizon Forbidden West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Some kind goons itt also wrote complete lore recaps that are linked in the OP!

Oh yeah, I read all those, but they're almost all about the Ted Faro et al stuff, which is understandable as it's way better than any of the other story stuff!

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I reviewed the game for a website, and I'll be happy to answer review type questions anyone would have. I really liked the game and thought it was an improvement over Zero Dawn in almost every respect. Seriously, I don't know how the hell Guerrilla managed to cram in so many improvements and new systems everywhere and still deliver a cohesive game.

If I really enjoyed HZD’s story but feel really burnt out on the Ubisoft style open world, will I enjoy HFW? Does it evolve enough from that formula?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Any ideas how much space the PS5 version will take?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

pootiebigwang posted:

If I really enjoyed HZD’s story but feel really burnt out on the Ubisoft style open world, will I enjoy HFW? Does it evolve enough from that formula?

Yes, most likely. I am 100% done with the Ubisoft formula and I loved HFW. With Ubisoft's games my problem is that so much of the side stuff just feels like checking off boxes or doing carbon copies of the same stuff, but now in a different place, game after game.

In HFW the side quests are almost all wrapped in story, and the stories are clever and fun. The open world exploration also feels a lot more free form than in Ubisoft games, much more like Breath of the Wild than Far Cry's Creed: Legion. The rhythm of the game is different, you're not doing to do 50 Black Cap Cellphone Missions or whatever, you're offered a smaller (but still large) selection of more curated content to do, or not do if you so choose.

Even the more traditional stuff, like Salvage Contractors, have stories wrapped around them. You're not just tasked to go find 50 Cyber Boar Asses, instead the guy might be an enterprising young armoursmith who wants to win a contract to design the ULTIMATE ARMOUR and needs you to find various things to meet his latest whims, and might need you to get a pristine horn from a certain type of monster, or to rewire a certain type of monster and use it to solve puzzles.

Medullah posted:

Any ideas how much space the PS5 version will take?

98.34 gigs.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 14, 2022

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

If anyone watches the Skill Up review, can you tell us if we can listen to it without spoilers? Obviously as long as his reviews are there's no way you're not going to be spoiled if you watch, but I really enjoy his stuff and wonder if he spoils much in his actual discussion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If anyone watches the Skill Up review, can you tell us if we can listen to it without spoilers? Obviously as long as his reviews are there's no way you're not going to be spoiled if you watch, but I really enjoy his stuff and wonder if he spoils much in his actual discussion.

I listened to it without watching. You can sometimes hear combat sounds but he clips out most character dialogue or anything that would be considered a plot spoiler.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Hmm. From Kotaku. Very vague story spoilers, I guess.

I don’t for a second profess to speak for people of indigenous descent, though I will note that I certainly ran into some eyebrow-raising moments over the course of Forbidden West.

To be clear, I never heard the words “braves” or “savages,” which suggests Guerrilla is listening and has taken feedback from half a decade ago to heart. That said, unless an explanation totally passed me by, Forbidden West never addresses why many characters wear outfits reminiscent of traditional Native American clothing, a point of contention for some in the wake of Zero Dawn. All that “savior” stuff? Given that Aloy is white, and that so many characters in Horizon—in roles both crucial and secondary—are people of color, yeah, it’s weird! Due to those aforementioned embargo restrictions, which are so extensive as to bar me from mentioning a character who is literally in one of the trailers, I can’t get into detail here, but the entire final act—the denouement in particular—smacks of colonialist overtones, all in service of little more than sci-fi grandeur. In the coming days and weeks, as players approach and then complete the endgame, it’ll be a conversation to watch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You still have to hunt animals to increase inventory capacity. Preorder canceled

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

To elaborate on the Skill Up review, he said that it's superb and that he doesn't give scores but if he did, it would be a solid 9.5 and if you gave it a 10 he'd reply, "Fair enough."

most of the reviews are solid/good outside eurogamer(which doesn't care for it) and waypoint, which likes it but thinks its too ubisoft(but the writer is kinda of a hack)

zakharov posted:

I don’t for a second profess to speak for people of indigenous descent, though I will note that I certainly ran into some eyebrow-raising moments over the course of Forbidden West.

To be clear, I never heard the words “braves” or “savages,” which suggests Guerrilla is listening and has taken feedback from half a decade ago to heart. That said, unless an explanation totally passed me by, Forbidden West never addresses why many characters wear outfits reminiscent of traditional Native American clothing, a point of contention for some in the wake of Zero Dawn. All that “savior” stuff? Given that Aloy is white, and that so many characters in Horizon—in roles both crucial and secondary—are people of color, yeah, it’s weird! Due to those aforementioned embargo restrictions, which are so extensive as to bar me from mentioning a character who is literally in one of the trailers, I can’t get into detail here, but the entire final act—the denouement in particular—smacks of colonialist overtones, all in service of little more than sci-fi grandeur. In the coming days and weeks, as players approach and then complete the endgame, it’ll be a conversation to watch.

i mean as a white cis dude my self. i feel like they are kinda hosed no matter what they do. its clear that they are trying to make their own from the ground up tribes and societies and not trying to offend anyone and that tribes arnt based around ethnic lines and stuff. i thought 1 handled stuff well enough. idk i'll have to play it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pootiebigwang posted:

sounds like the side quests are way more witcher 3 then they are ubisoft, which is nice.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

zakharov posted:

I won't go into any details on the story at all because the embargo is strict and I don't want to spoil anything in any case, but I will just say I didn't get a whiff of any of that poo poo from my playthrough, nor did a friend of mine who reviewed it for another publication. I'm have absolutely no loving idea what that guy is talking about.

Like, yeah, some of the outfits look like they drew inspiration from Native American clothing, but others look like they drew inspiration from European and Asian native clothing, or Pacific native clothing. Some of it looks like it came from the Quest for Fire or your local prehistoric design book. And the tribes in the game very much are not along ethnic lines, nor are they mimicking any native cultures I can think of.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 14, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Us white likes to either see colonialism in everything to be good allies or refuse to see it in anything because it's a video game. There is no nuance to that conversation anywhere. Just find the reviewer of indigenous descent that you like and make their opinion the default and correct one to have. I think there's a really good conversation to have around where the line between respectful representation and cultural appropriation is but publications that tend to tackle those topics, like Waypoint, don't like to "show their work" so to speak. They'll say this is that, give a weak example then move on.

But yeah, them not using loaded historic language is a good step forward and I always found the Banuk to be the one nation that I pulled my collar at. That one seemed to be the one that got a bit too far into the appropriation side of things. Game's popular and a few people base their online identity around being obnoxious, angry, contrarians so I'm sure they'll make sure to post hot takes claiming this is how people should feel and say.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 14, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I adored Forbidden West. It is like the first but better in every way except maybe in terms of the premise. (Discovering mysteries is always more fun)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I adored Forbidden West. It is like the first but better in every way except maybe in terms of the premise. (Discovering mysteries is always more fun)

is the environmentalist throughline still strong

this is literally the only thing I care about

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

is the environmentalist throughline still strong

this is literally the only thing I care about

Absolutely so.

The 'gently caress rich shitheads'is is also in full force.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 14, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
goody gumdrops

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
The preload is sitting on my PS5 Home Screen. Taunting me.

Friday cannot get here fast enough.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Maybe aloy will find ted faro's bunker. And turns out he died on the toilet. And his dried out skull broke off from his skeleton and fell into the bowl face down. And the dessicated turd that killed him is still in the bowl

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If you want to be absolutely unspoiled, there's about a 6 minute segment on 'story and characters' that's marked in the description, otherwise I think you're good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just remembered and submitted friday as a vacation day.

IT’S GONNA BE A GAMING WEEKEND, BAYBEE

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Several reviews mentioned the environmentalist message, I wonder if that was one of the narrative beats people were more divided on. Both the highest and lowest reviews both seem to mention the main story as HFW's strongest or weakest element.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Several reviews mentioned the environmentalist message, I wonder if that was one of the narrative beats people were more divided on. Both the highest and lowest reviews both seem to mention the main story as HFW's strongest or weakest element.

everyone says the side quests are witcher 3 tier at least. a bunch think the main quest falls into :technobabble: or something which hurts it with some folks.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Maybe aloy will find ted faro's bunker. And turns out he died on the toilet. And his dried out skull broke off from his skeleton and fell into the bowl face down. And the dessicated turd that killed him is still in the bowl

i sorta suspect its gonna be either that or he is alive somehow(or turned himself into an AI)

ImpAtom posted:

does the combat/dodges/etc flow better. my biggest issue is ZD kinda had alot of weird "friction" when it came to combat. also whats the difficulty settings?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The most important addition is the minigame with the collectible figurines. The story and world is just fluff.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The most important addition is the minigame with the collectible figurines. The story and world is just fluff.

was finally reading through all the discussion this morning just trying to find the review specifically for this and you're the first one to mention it :negative:

So someone who had a review copy please tell me about the Warhammer Forbidden West game please

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Rinkles posted:

good news for hoarders

Yessssssss

haveblue posted:

You still have to hunt animals to increase inventory capacity. Preorder canceled

Noooooooo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Game loses some points for not having Triple Triad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

everyone says the side quests are witcher 3 tier at least. a bunch think the main quest falls into :technobabble: or something which hurts it with some folks.

i sorta suspect its gonna be either that or he is alive somehow(or turned himself into an AI)

does the combat/dodges/etc flow better. my biggest issue is ZD kinda had alot of weird "friction" when it came to combat. also whats the difficulty settings?

The main story is technobabble over a fantasy plotline about how capitalism sucks. As long as you accept tech = magic it works.

I felt like the combat felt smoother but dodges can still feel weird sometimes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Reading a few more reviews and it does sound like they still haven't made fighting people all that satisfying. Better than the last game for sure but still not as fun or engaging as fighting machines. That's a real bummer to hear. How much of people murder will you be engaging in? I loved Horizon but fighting people did suck a whole lot. You really need like a parry/block button if you do this stuff.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You can also buy the upgrade materials from vendors or get them from quests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You can also buy the upgrade materials from vendors or get them from quests.

Also with the stash mechanic apace is a lot less necessary.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The main story is technobabble over a fantasy plotline about how capitalism sucks. As long as you accept tech = magic it works.

Ah, so Horizon really IS becoming a JRPG...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

the overflow to stash mechanic sounds like lazy gaming. Give me a pack mule robot pal that I can store additional resources in and give me mining gathering mini-games where I command little robot ants to get stuff for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Ah, so Horizon really IS becoming a JRPG...

Basically if you can deal with "Hades is a floating evil cloud" stuff from the first game it is about that level.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Hades is a floating evil cloud" is the exact thing I thought was a bit much and deviated from the ideal level of grounding and realism in the rest of the game so... hmm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ImpAtom posted:

As long as you accept tech = magic it works.

Is that how they explain the holo-glider?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, them moving forward with the tech is neat to me. If you bought into the world with the cauldrons and AI then having technology being indistinguishable from magic is the next logical step.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I felt like the combat felt smoother but dodges can still feel weird sometimes.

i have no complaints there. i am picking my copy up friday. i was just curious.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I won't go into any details on the story at all because the embargo is strict and I don't want to spoil anything in any case, but I will just say I didn't get a whiff of any of that poo poo from my playthrough, nor did a friend of mine who reviewed it for another publication. I'm have absolutely no loving idea what that guy is talking about.

Like, yeah, some of the outfits look like they drew inspiration from Native American clothing, but others look like they drew inspiration from European and Asian native clothing, or Pacific native clothing. Some of it looks like it came from the Quest for Fire or your local prehistoric design book. And the tribes in the game very much are not along ethnic lines, nor are they mimicking any native cultures I can think of.

yeah. like again, as a white dude playing the first 1 and looking at gameplay from 2. it looks fine. like none of it looks like explicitly specific tribe stuff and they are trying to make each culture its own fictional thing.

Jimbot posted:

Us white likes to either see colonialism in everything to be good allies or refuse to see it in anything because it's a video game. There is no nuance to that conversation anywhere. Just find the reviewer of indigenous descent that you like and make their opinion the default and correct one to have. I think there's a really good conversation to have around where the line between respectful representation and cultural appropriation is but publications that tend to tackle those topics, like Waypoint, don't like to "show their work" so to speak. They'll say this is that, give a weak example then move on.

But yeah, them not using loaded historic language is a good step forward and I always found the Banuk to be the one nation that I pulled my collar at. That one seemed to be the one that got a bit too far into the appropriation side of things. Game's popular and a few people base their online identity around being obnoxious, angry, contrarians so I'm sure they'll make sure to post hot takes claiming this is how people should feel and say.

this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Does anyone know of a "when is the Faro / backstory event revealed in-game" type timeline? A buddy dropped playing this about halfway through after release, and is picking it back up now. I want to catch them up with the backstory (since they forgot most of it) but don't want to spoiler things they will uncover as they finish.