Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
An out of control train is full of 70 nuns each carrying an orphan baby to the childhood cancer ward to be cured. You stand at the switch. If you do nothing the train will derail into a local puppy sanctuary, but if you change the track a can of refreshing Pepsi™ will have it's brand ruined as the train crushes it. Do you change the track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hmmm I pick up the tortoise but instead of placing it right side up, I will sacrifice it to the brand!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

An out of control train is full of 70 nuns each carrying an orphan baby to the childhood cancer ward to be cured. You stand at the switch. If you do nothing the train will derail into a local puppy sanctuary, but if you change the track a can of refreshing Pepsi™ will have it's brand ruined as the train crushes it. Do you change the track?

Will changing the track twice make me definitely responsible for saving the brand? Because I don't like inaction in service of the brand, I'd prefer to work hard, whether or not the work has any meaning.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

70 nuns and 70 babies with cancer

hmm

that's about $1.2 billion in value or so, but you have to consider that a decent chunk of the babies probably won't make it and that nuns don't in particular create economic value

and you have to consider the damage to the immortal pepsi brand from one of their cans being brutalized and the compound interest generated from profit

the puppies, too, will generate a lot of value from their sale which will benefit the immortal corporation running the mill sanctuary

hmm

in the long run, the compound interest from profit will be worth way more than any number of lives

let the babies and nuns die

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

BonHair posted:

Will changing the track twice make me definitely responsible for saving the brand? Because I don't like inaction in service of the brand, I'd prefer to work hard, whether or not the work has any meaning.

[promotion to middle management unlocked]

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Complications posted:

70 nuns and 70 babies with cancer

hmm

that's about $1.2 billion in value or so, but you have to consider that a decent chunk of the babies probably won't make it and that nuns don't in particular create economic value

and you have to consider the damage to the immortal pepsi brand from one of their cans being brutalized and the compound interest generated from profit

the puppies, too, will generate a lot of value from their sale which will benefit the immortal corporation running the mill sanctuary

hmm

in the long run, the compound interest from profit will be worth way more than any number of lives

let the babies and nuns die

This is based on a super gross assumption that all profit is the same. Some profits are morally superior to others. Specifically the profits of the corporation that it's currently employing you.

So I guess, to answer the dilemma, I have to know about the ownership of each of the involved assets.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
Woah, woah, woah.

Why are we saying that Nun and child death are a bad thing? In the inevitable aftermath we have Pepsi sponsor the relief effort and pocket the earnings!

"Pepsi Cares®"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Have you considered cancer babies contribute more to the local economy than normal babies?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's why our "Never forget dead cancer babies Pepsi" will contain carcinogens and be marketed to babies

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
monetize the tot rot

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That reminds me of the time we told an intern on our game that he should ask to get paid because he was doing final textures for several of the main characters. We literally never saw him again after he went to talk to the Producer :smith:

somewhat off-topic: what are those Normal 2%/Unknown badges in the screenshot?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

greazeball posted:

somewhat off-topic: what are those Normal 2%/Unknown badges in the screenshot?

https://botsentinel.com a browser add-on that supposedly scans twitter accounts for “quality” based on what they’ve said recently and who they follow, and rates them on a scale of Normal, Satisfactory, Problematic or Disruptive

it’s pretty useless because it doesn’t tell you anything you can’t glean from looking at the account yourself but there’s a certain segment of twitter posters that like using it anyway

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's clearly useless because it has labelled a twitter post as Normal

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Chairman posted:

it’s pretty useless because it doesn’t tell you anything you can’t glean from looking at the account yourself but there’s a certain segment of twitter posters that like using it anyway

It's unobtrusive and sometimes reveals someone is a bad faith account without me having to check them out. :shrug:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

theres a book called how to be an illustrator and a whole chapter in it is about how to not let a company gently caress you. the author mentions how many companies will try to get you to draw roughs for less than half the agreed cost and the just give those to in-house artists to finish up once they’ve got their hands on them.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkLVRt6c1U

required viewing for any creatives out there

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
what are they complaining about? think of all the exposure they got paid in

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://store.google.com/intl/en/discover/realtone/

Happy black history month, we've finally invented a camera that can see black people. It's available only on the flagship, most expensive phone.

quote:

Face detection
To make a great portrait, your phone first has to see a face in the picture. That’s why we improved our face detection model's ability to see faces of all colors.

We fixed our broken-rear end algorithm that was only tested on pasty white google boys around the office, like a decade after it was first pointed out as a problem. It's a new feature. You're welcome.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Will it be able to see blue faces?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Spazzle posted:

In physics we call this the critical grift.

if you compress enough venture capital together, it eventually starts to collapse on itself forming a money event horizon from which no investor can escape

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

that seems like fraud?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

https://store.google.com/intl/en/discover/realtone/

Happy black history month, we've finally invented a camera that can see black people. It's available only on the flagship, most expensive phone.

We fixed our broken-rear end algorithm that was only tested on pasty white google boys around the office, like a decade after it was first pointed out as a problem. It's a new feature. You're welcome.

This was announced/released in October last year and has nothing to do with Black History Month.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ArmZ posted:

that seems like fraud?

You can charge for work done regardless of whether or not the "employer" thinks they were employing you. Fait accompli and all that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blunt posted:

This was announced/released in October last year and has nothing to do with Black History Month.

I'm aware the phone was released then, however the ad I got on the chrome (it's mandated by work, ugh) new tab page for this specific feature didn't appear until this month, and are you really gonna give google the benefit of the doubt?

Regardless, selling "we fixed several long-standing problems with our software not acknowledging black people as real" as a premium new feature available only on the flagship phone is pretty lol.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ArmZ posted:

that seems like fraud?

paid in exposure

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

camera software not working well with dark skin tones is actually an industry-wide problem and google is the first major company to significantly correct it

google is bad for a lot of reasons but this is good

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

why are cameras so racist

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wheeee posted:

camera software not working well with dark skin tones is actually an industry-wide problem and google is the first major company to significantly correct it

google is bad for a lot of reasons but this is good

I'm aware of that too, it goes back to the early days of photography, there was a whole exhibit about it at the George Eastman house museum when I visited it a while ago.

And I still feel like y'all are missing what's making it funny to me, that this is supposedly a software thing (presumably that can just be applied to any other phone). They'll probably apply it more generally later, who knows, but still "we fixed this long-running problem with our poo poo that un-persons you" as anything other than a shameful patch note, let alone an exclusive selling point of their flagship product, seems very This Thread.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

And I still feel like y'all are missing what's making it funny to me, that this is supposedly a software thing (presumably that can just be applied to any other phone). They'll probably apply it more generally later, who knows, but still "we fixed this long-running problem with our poo poo that un-persons you" as anything other than a shameful patch note, let alone an exclusive selling point of their flagship product, seems very This Thread.

Remind me what the big difference is between the Pixel 6 and the other phones Google has launched is?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blunt posted:

Remind me what the big difference is between the Pixel 6 and the other phones Google has launched is?

I'm not sure what you mean, are you trying to say they're all more or less the same, or that there's a big difference I'm not getting, or are you genuinely asking about the new hardware features?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

I'm not sure what you mean, are you trying to say they're all more or less the same, or that there's a big difference I'm not getting, or are you genuinely asking about the new hardware features?

https://blog.google/products/pixel/introducing-google-tensor/

The skintone thing isn't a pure software fix, it's enabled by the ML stuff that Google grafted onto the Exynos chip that Google/Samsung turned into Tensor.

That's why it's not available on other android phones.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blunt posted:

https://blog.google/products/pixel/introducing-google-tensor/

The skintone thing isn't a pure software fix, it's enabled by the ML stuff that Google grafted onto the Exynos chip that Google/Samsung turned into Tensor.

That's why it's not available on other android phones.

I mean the previous pixels had ML coprocessor... things... I just assumed this was more of that with lower power use. Is there a fundamental difference between that and like the one in my pixel 3 that makes it capable of seeing black people?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Looking into it myself, the older ones were more domain specific to just image processing (which doesn't really change anything in this case I guess) but I'm gonna assume they'd require different algorithms or tweaks to make poo poo work on them as a result, or maybe you could only run a scaled-back version cuz they're not powerful enough, idk, regardless there's not really any reason to invest time and money in that when all it would realistically do is cannibalize sales of the newer phones. Which still feels very This Thread but whatever.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

blunt posted:

Weirdly :goonsay: way to obliquely refer to a specific chip on the motherboard of a particular smartphone with like 1% market share. Like I own that phone and read android leak blogs and I still wasn't sure where you were going

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

duz posted:

why are cameras so racist

Nikon is a Japanese company, and even they couldn't do it right?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How good are cameras at recognizing blackfaced white people? My guess is better than they are at actual black people, either because what matters is the facial features (and the algorithm was only trained on white people) or because training on racist white people seemed more important than training on normal black people.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

has anyone ever considered just having the camera take a loving picture instead of this CSI zoom enhance face recognition bullshit

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ArmZ posted:

that seems like fraud?

Welcome to the Economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jazerus posted:

has anyone ever considered just having the camera take a loving picture instead of this CSI zoom enhance face recognition bullshit

The one thing I will say in its favor is the night sight feature where it takes a bunch of long-exposure images and combines them / cleans them up is pretty neat and works incredibly well.

I have the face recognition turned off because it just messes poo poo up.