Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

This one in particular seems like a bad change, because it changes the man from a pretty realistic depiction of an older Eastern Asian man, to a man with generic Western European cartoon eyes

https://twitter.com/savagesmallwood/status/1491463991486525442?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Reminder that the current Editor-in-Chief of Marvel Comics is a white guy who in the 2000's made up a persona named "Akira Yoshida" to solicit work as.

Maybe they're overcompensating now?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/ReberVision/status/1492253174966669312?t=7qsd-aLJVwOcsr3Gt8LCfQ&s=19

Keep digging that grave, Valiant. There are plenty more comics to discover without you.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

For all the jokes about Goon Projects, one guy in the YOSPOS cat thread has organized, commissioned, printed, and delivered calendars every year for the past three years or more without a problem. IDK what That Star Wars Girl is doing, but it can't be any harder than actually commissioning original art unless it's drawing poo poo herself.

It's not art work, its just pictures of her wearing Cosplay, making it all the more ridiculous that they can't get it out on time.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
does she know yyou can make photo calendars at your local walgreens

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fun hater posted:

does she know yyou can make photo calendars at your local walgreens

Yeah, assuming she owns 12 different cosplay outfits it should take less than a week to have that poo poo shipped.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
perhaps producing a product was not the goal

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Erica Henderson may have won the entire discourse.

https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1491475061173325826?s=20&t=U3Y2gdAfhS-lP2IcS3Wvvg

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

:drat:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:piss:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kerblam-slam

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

All I'm seeing here is a white person telling an Asian person what he should and should not find offensive in artistic depictions of Asian people. Can you please explain how this is a massive win?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jedit posted:

All I'm seeing here is a white person telling an Asian person what he should and should not find offensive in artistic depictions of Asian people. Can you please explain how this is a massive win?

pictured: noted white person Erica Hederson
https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1492514236207140866?s=20&t=aUUWtoI86WkESaU88lfAJg

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

pictured: noted white person Erica Hederson

I am now extremely embarrassed and will crawl under a rock. Objection removed.

(In my defence, I was sure I'd seen a picture of her before. Obviously I was wrong.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jedit posted:

In addition to Erica Henderson's own ethnicity. The Editor in Chief of Marvel is a white dude named C.B. Cebulski, who, when he was an editor at a time when Marvel didn't let editors also write for them, ghost wrote under the name Akira Yoshida and claimed to be a born and raised in Japan (obviously these claims were over email, not in person).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Skwirl posted:

In addition to Erica Henderson's own ethnicity. The Editor in Chief of Marvel is a white dude named C.B. Cebulski, who, when he was an editor at a time when Marvel didn't let editors also write for them, ghost wrote under the name Akira Yoshida and claimed to be a born and raised in Japan (obviously these claims were over email, not in person).

Ouch, I didn't know that. So it's the exact opposite of what I initially perceived it to be - she's legit calling him out for co-option. Thanks everyone for the patient explanation.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jedit posted:

Ouch, I didn't know that. So it's the exact opposite of what I initially perceived it to be - she's legit calling him out for co-option. Thanks everyone for the patient explanation.

It's at times like these I'm very happy S.A. is not like Twitter, where everyone doubles down no matter their mistakes.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I wonder how it works internally when someone murders their boss like that. Does she become EIC now?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jedit posted:

quoting for posterity

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Jedit posted:

He also hired an actor to pretend to be "Akira Yoshida" and to visit the Marvel offices and to pretend to not speak english.

Disney is, once again, loving over artists.

https://twitter.com/n0vaprime/status/1492485594911772676?s=21

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Skwirl posted:

Cebulski also was kind of the driving force behind the Marvel Mangaverse. Which could get weird.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Vincent posted:

He also hired an actor to pretend to be "Akira Yoshida" and to visit the Marvel offices and to pretend to not speak english.

I knew that at least one then-Marvel editor (Mike Marts, iirc) claimed to have met "Akira Yoshida," but I thought he was simply lying to cover Cebulski's rear end. the actor explanation, if true, would make the whole episode even weirder

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mike Marts said he had lunch with Akira Yoshida and was impressed by his Godzilla collection, and when the story broke, Rich Johnston said he spoke with multiple Marvel people who said Akira Yoshida was brought into the office on multiple occasions. Now, it's entirely possible the Marvel people just decided to make up a single lie to tell to save face, but that seems less likely than that Cebulski brought in a Japanese person to play the part. (This CBR articles says it was a translator according to BC, but the BC article it links to doesn't have any mention of that, so it's possible Johnston scrubbed that or it only shows up in the audio I didn't listen to.)

Also for some fun, read CBR's interview with "Akira Yoshida" where he talks about having gone around the con circuit in 2002 before getting hired by Marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It should also be pointed out, the stuff he wrote as Akira was largely stuff set in Japan or had very orientalist vibes (stuff about "upholding the honor of my ancestors" and what not).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wolverine: Soultaker is bad enough on its own, but knowing that it was written by a white man masquarading as a Japanese man makes it even worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still can't believe he has retained his job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I still can't believe he has retained his job.

That is the power of being a white man.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
not sure where to post this, but there's some controversy on comics Twitter over Jason Aaron creating a Pocahontas-inspired "sexy native princess" character in his Conan run

https://twitter.com/kellylynnedang/status/1498158377037287436

https://twitter.com/riteshwriter/status/1498478868269002754

https://twitter.com/alinapete/status/1498358219177021441

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Barry Convex posted:

not sure where to post this, but there's some controversy on comics Twitter over Jason Aaron creating a Pocahontas-inspired "sexy native princess" character in his Conan run

https://twitter.com/kellylynnedang/status/1498158377037287436

https://twitter.com/riteshwriter/status/1498478868269002754

https://twitter.com/alinapete/status/1498358219177021441

Curious what they think of Scalped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's some comments about it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Remember when his pick-up line at cons was "I've got some copies of Spider-Gwen up in my hotel room?"

Mixed up Jasons who worked on Southern Bastards, sorry!

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 1, 2022

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Space Fish posted:

Remember when his pick-up line at cons was "I've got some copies of Spider-Gwen up in my hotel room?"

Are you thinking of Jason Latour, who got called out for propositioning women at cons and who co-created Spider-Gwen, or was Jason Aaron inexplicably using a comic he had nothing to do with as a pick-up line? Not trying to be glib, for all I know that was actually an Aaron thing, who knows at this point, but it sounds an awful lot like what went down with Latour.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that was Latour, not Aaron.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Ew. WHY. It’s Conan, a fictional pre-history. He could have kept his mouth shut on inspiration and/or made something up out of whole cloth, including a name. He’d still rightfully get criticism for appropriating indigenous culture, but that’s sadly still bog standard in the genre. And it shouldn’t be!

Paul Cornell consulted a group of British Muslim women when he wrote Dr. Faiza Hussain/Excalibur and credited them every issue of the 2008 series because he wanted to ensure he was portraying her well, especially in terms of how her faith informed her actions. Different media but fighting game Killer Instinct (2013) consulted with a Nimíipuu (Nez Perce) storyteller and other tribe members to change Thunder from a racist stereotype into a heroic representation that the dev studio improved on later in 2015 when they got feedback some visuals still weren’t quite right! There is ZERO EXCUSE for what Aaron chose and what the editors allowed.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Huh I didn't even make that connection

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man I always assumed Aaron was at least part Native American from Scalped, yikes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can genuinely not imagine how loving sheltered you need to be to think Big Titty Conan Pocahontas is a remotely okay idea.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I think Conan’s depiction of women in general is something that should have been relegated to the trash heap long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Even in the good Conan series you get some really unfortunate stuff. Even Kurt Busiek wrote that character who was, well, CW follows sexually assaulted in a pit until she got strong enough to fight them off and became a peerless warrior.