Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's easy to forget how insanely efficient the wheel is alone. Evolution is unable to design a wheel, outside a handful of animals that general external wheels like scarab beetles, only humans seem to be able to take advantage of them.

Bicycles are even better and it's a drat shame it took until only a few hundred years ago for people to invent the chain driven freewheel bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Phobophilia posted:

It's easy to forget how insanely efficient the wheel is alone. Evolution is unable to design a wheel, outside a handful of animals that general external wheels like scarab beetles, only humans seem to be able to take advantage of them.

Bicycles are even better and it's a drat shame it took until only a few hundred years ago for people to invent the chain driven freewheel bicycle.

Bicycles are fantastic, and IIRC are the most energy-efficient way of moving a human around.

A chain-driven freewheel mechanism would also be effectively impossible with the steel of even 500 years ago, let alone 2000 or more.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
not to mention the rubber in the wheels comes from a new world plant

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
envisioning an alt history where the bicycle is invented before the train and become standard issue for infantry to get themselves from point A to point B

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
good news, you don't need an alternate history. iirc while there are some historical variations on a two wheeled self propelled craft the velocipede (the first recognized "bicycle") was 1810s, while the steam locomotive was in the 1800s.

which kind of still does make sense like you need mass production and economies of scale for a personal transport device to take off while industrial moving of goods has a basically infinite incentive to spend more on infrastructure to reduce running costs.

e: apologies, misread you

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

cheetah7071 posted:

envisioning an alt history where the bicycle is invented before the train and become standard issue for infantry to get themselves from point A to point B

I started imagining a bicycle-based Teutonberg Forest, but realised the Roman Empire with all its roads would have been ripe for the bicycle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cheetah7071 posted:

IIRC that has actually happened a few times at least, I've seen photos of the Japanese army in WW2 using bicycles en masse. Problem is that it's fairly niche as transportation in large numbers goes, you need somewhere to put all those bikes and to carry tools and spare parts to repair them, and you need roads that are good enough- and flat enough- for them to be practical.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC that has actually happened a few times at least, I've seen photos of the Japanese army in WW2 using bicycles en masse. Problem is that it's fairly niche as transportation in large numbers goes, you need somewhere to put all those bikes and to carry tools and spare parts to repair them, and you need roads that are good enough- and flat enough- for them to be practical.

vietnamese used them in jungle and on mountains

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

Lots of people had a go - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_infantry

Last probably used en masse in the West by Volksgrenadiers in like 1945, looks like, which makes sense given they were absolutely scraping the barrel.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ChubbyChecker posted:

Oh, what, some sort of "mountain bike"? :rolleyes:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CrypticFox posted:

There's a full translation on its British museum page: https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/Y_EA5634.

Some other reasons for missing work are "His wife was bleeding," "suffering with his eye," and "fetching stone for the scribe."

This didn't get enough love. Tag yourselves, I'm DRINKING WITH KHONSU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

This didn't get enough love. Tag yourselves, I'm DRINKING WITH KHONSU

I'm WITH KHONS MAKING REMEDIES. I assume Khons is Khonsu's nickname, and they are making hangover cures.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We fight in a platoon
We're bicycle dragoons!
But the tires aren't great
So we sit and wait
Until Empire's noon!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SimonChris posted:

I'm WITH KHONS MAKING REMEDIES. I assume Khons is Khonsu's nickname, and they are making hangover cures.

the scribe's wife needs a lot of help on those remedies

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FAUXTON posted:

the scribe's wife needs a lot of help on those remedies

Assuming/hoping it is the scribe writing the list they’re talking about

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah the big use the Japanese Army made of bicycles in WW2 was to move a large force through the jungle to invade Singapore. They did things like create make-shift bridges over smaller streams by having soldiers stand in the water holding planks for the rest to bike over.

But yeah "most energy efficient" doesn't mean "fastest". If you have fossil fuels to run modern trains, ships, and aeroplanes, then those are much more effective at keeping your military agile.

But I for one lol forward to the post-fossil fuel future in which bicycle dragoons become the standard.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Didn’t they also kind of use them as inline wheel rickshaws to carry gear too? Easier to roll gear along instead of carry it on your back.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

"day 17 (BURYING THE GOD)"

Is this a euphamism for something?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Whorelord posted:

"day 17 (BURYING THE GOD)"

Is this a euphamism for something?

Probably Osiris cult stuff? I know they made Osiris chia pets in the springtime (germinating the god), so wouldn't be surprised if they also buried Osiris dolls in the winter.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Crab Dad posted:

Didn’t they also kind of use them as inline wheel rickshaws to carry gear too? Easier to roll gear along instead of carry it on your back.

Bicycles were used extensively for portage on the Ho Chi Minh trail.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

But I for one lol forward to the post-fossil fuel future in which bicycle dragoons become the standard.

The Emberverse post-apocalyptic PNW series has a lot of this, which is fun. Bikes and gliders take over in a world where fossil fuels magically become inert and the planet falls apart in a Malthusian collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emberverse_series

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kaal posted:

The Emberverse post-apocalyptic PNW series has a lot of this, which is fun. Bikes and gliders take over in a world where fossil fuels magically become inert and the planet falls apart in a Malthusian collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emberverse_series

Why would gliders matter? Who is storing a bunch of crap at the top of the hill than needs to be distributed within thermal delivery?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

Why would gliders matter? Who is storing a bunch of crap at the top of the hill than needs to be distributed within thermal delivery?

so his ren fair pals can take over the world and fly hang gliders, duh

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

not to mention the rubber in the wheels comes from a new world plant

Yes and no. The rubber tree is the source of most commercially produced rubber, but there are old world plants that produce enough rubber to be useful. If you were to travel back in time to teach the Romans how to make bicycles you could also bring along some modern high-yield cultivars.

The Roman Empire would probably have been quite capable of turning some outlying area like Britannia into one big dandelion farm to keep their all-conquering bicycle dragoons in rubbers (and spare tires).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Crab Dad posted:

In the books they're used for reconnaissance, communications, and I believe a special ops insertion if I remember correctly. In a world largely without air power, having even a little bit of it would be pretty useful I'm sure. Cargo is moved via the old rail lines using oxen trains, along some of the carefully rehabilitated highways, or by water.

Tunicate posted:

so his ren fair pals can take over the world and fly hang gliders, duh

Right, this one knows what I'm talking about. Stirling did a pretty good job of world building, particularly for a guy who never lived in the area. Though as someone from Corvallis, I think he would have loved to have known that for years we actually held an annual engineering fair called Da Vinci Days featuring catapults and a full-size trebuchet (watching it chuck a Volkswagen Bug was great, and seeing it throw a washing machine across a soccer field was even better.)

Kaal fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 15, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bicycles are still standard issue for Finnish infantry. They're way more convenient than finding a bunch of trucks to move a company out to exercises.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

What's that from?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

tracecomplete posted:

What's that from?

Me making nonsense in covid iso
e: I hope I can find the others. I tried to work out what kinds of bike cavalry would be produced by various australian suburbs, should civilisation collapse. It seemed terribly important at the time

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 15, 2022

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Tree Bucket posted:

Me making nonsense in covid iso

Please continue, sounds fun

The nonsense, anyway

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Siivola posted:

Bicycles are still standard issue for Finnish infantry. They're way more convenient than finding a bunch of trucks to move a company out to exercises.

Are the bicycles any good? Available in the US?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PeterCat posted:

They are made by the Helkama company and are good durable bikes without gears, but the retail version of the military bikes are stuffed with non durable luxuries like gears and standardized commercial stuff.

Sweden also had military bikes of equal simplicity and durability and I know that one can find those all the time here in Sweden on second hand places like our local craigslist variants (most of these bikes are probably +50 years old by now though). I assume you can similarly buy old Finnish military bikes in Finland, and if you pay for the hefty shipping fee you could probably have some Finnish dude ship it to you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Even if you couldn't make chain gears for bicycles, could you not build penny-farthings? That seems like you could get some stew cookin'

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Helkama Oiva is available as a single speed, it should be pretty close. The tires are probably narrower on commercial models, but the frame geometry is the same. Costs 500€ though. :retrogames:

Some of our bikes were absolutely clapped out – my first one didn’t have a working brake, and people had trouble with chains falling off. My second one worked beautifully, and I'm so average-sized that I could get the riding position just right.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

PeterCat posted:

They are heavy as hell with super slack angles. Ok for city riding if there's no hills. Basically a klunker. The only special thing is still fairly impressive tire clearance - they come with 2,1" 27,5" tires and have loads of room left. That's modern mtb territory.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

After a brief Google search it looks like they're all very expensive in the US and don't offer much other than the novelty of being what they are.

Still, I'm surprised the US doesn't have a stock of them for airborne troopers somewhere.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Drakhoran posted:

The Roman Empire would probably have been quite capable of turning some outlying area like Britannia into one big dandelion farm to keep their all-conquering bicycle dragoons in rubbers

:quagmire:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nessus posted:

Even if you couldn't make chain gears for bicycles, could you not build penny-farthings? That seems like you could get some stew cookin'

I mean I guess but you could also just make a rickshaw or other 2 wheel cart. The lack of good cheap steel is a pretty big drag on efficiency.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Watch Knight Riders you'll dig it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RB3DoJRoYc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I betcha it would be possible to make a tire material from leavy spurge sap, and just try to stop that poo poo from growing. Can then feed the byproduct to goats.