Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Man I've had a chinese seller on etsy who, when the item got stuck in customs and was clearly stuck in customs on tracking, emailed me to say they would send me a second one because it didn't arrive on time. lovely customer service is always a choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah that's basically it

I seem to remember there was an expose a while back about how Amazon actually ends up throwing away a lot of products that get returned, because it's too much trouble for them to go through the process of going all the way back and dealing with that whole process: as long as the customer gets their product, and as long as the retailer Amazon is dealing with gets paid, then it's all good as far as Amazon is concerned

of course, this does mean that all that material waste is shifted into becoming an externality, and that's the unsightly problem that gets brushed under the carpet

I've had amazon give me an automated instant refund before without asking for the product back, presumably because it would cost too much to deal with the return. They were just like, yeah okay here's your money back and keep the product. Thanks...?

Gig economy food apps like grubhub are similarly automated for the most part. It's shockingly exploitable. You just tell them that the restaurant got your order wrong, and boom, instant, non-human-approved refund for the item they supposedly got wrong (up to the entire order, if it was a one-item order, like a combo meal). The lovely part about this is that Grubhub takes that refund out of the restaurant's earnings. So this is a case where I wish they were less customer-friendly, because in this case it just means that grubhub is giving their customers an easy way to dine and dash from their homes without consequence. And what does grubhub care? It's the restaurants who are paying.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 14, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CBD Corndog posted:

Well, good luck to GN. I hope they enjoy the vacation

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1493057387791540224

Gonna be an awkward video if they go through with it

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

CBD Corndog posted:

Well, good luck to GN. I hope they enjoy the vacation

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1493057387791540224
not smart.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm going to assume that he has something on a level of internal training documentation or performance review criteria that specify a % target of RMAs to reject, it seems like an over-reaction for anything less

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
There was a tweet reply in one of the previous gn tweets where someone said newegg actually switched them. Or maybe it was on reddit. Either way, person had taken a screenshot of the order right before paying that showed it was to be new. But arrived as open box and order review said the person ordered open box. I assumed some level salt, but perhaps steve contacted the person and got info. Or somone else with similar experience contacted steve.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1493216922451722246

Steve is arranging an intervention for Newegg to break their cycle of abusing customer RMA lol

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
This'll be like that feature length Louis Theroux documentary where he tries and fails to get access to the church of Scientology so the whole film is mostly just him hanging around by the roadside asking security people why David Miscavige won't return his calls.
That film still owned tho because it was Louis Theroux. This is gonna be a total car crash.

But Steve's been firing on all cylinders as of late. He should be allowed his weird lil indulgence.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's can't lose in a sense, Theroux wasn't a big enough deal and had nowhere near enough clout in America to make Scientology give a poo poo about him. GN is a big enough deal for Newegg to look bad if they just shut him out and refuse to acknowledge them, and probably also look bad if they do get to put whatever evidence they've collected to them. The audience is going to get to see that stuff regardless.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

steve didn't sleep for days to get the steam deck review out and has insomnia brain

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No he slept, he just did it at the office while tests were running.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I assume that the calculation is that even if they go down there and no one lets them in or talks to them (which I think is pretty likely) it will be worth more Youtube money than if they didn't even try.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There's zero chance that Newegg comes out and talks to them. Volunteering to get ambushed with insider emails, and they have no idea what GN has and what they'll have to respond to? (Other than whatever the executives themselves know they've said internally -- and if that's terrible they also don't want to talk about it.) Not gonna happen.

I really hope Steve knows what he's doing, showing off insider source stuff needs extremely careful vetting.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I seem to remember there was an expose a while back about how Amazon actually ends up throwing away a lot of products that get returned, because it's too much trouble for them to go through the process of going all the way back and dealing with that whole process: as long as the customer gets their product, and as long as the retailer Amazon is dealing with gets paid, then it's all good as far as Amazon is concerned

The thing is, books have always worked that way. Books that are unsold or returned are "stripped" -- cover torn off and returned to the publisher to prove it's destroyed, and throw away the rest. I'd assume that starting as a bookseller made Amazon think about returns in a different way. They had data on how many people return things and what it would look like if they just trashed it long before they became a behemoth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

The thing is, books have always worked that way. Books that are unsold or returned are "stripped" -- cover torn off and returned to the publisher to prove it's destroyed, and throw away the rest.

Oh huh no wonder my dad's huge collection of sci fi and Tom Clancy techno thriller airport novels all didn't have any covers

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've had amazon give me an automated instant refund before without asking for the product back, presumably because it would cost too much to deal with the return. They were just like, yeah okay here's your money back and keep the product. Thanks...?

Better to have the customer pay disposal costs. Especially if it's e-waste :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Except it just ends up thrown into the landfill bin

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I mean, they uploaded a video looking at a capacitor in a monitor PSU, waiting for it to blow up, and nothing happened.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Combat Pretzel posted:

I mean, they uploaded a video looking at a capacitor in a monitor PSU, waiting for it to blow up, and nothing happened.

I honestly liked that more than “there is a seemingly repeated issue that didn’t happen to us, guess we shouldn’t bother saying anything”.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Didn't Steve do something like this before where they went and confronted some corporate types about a scandal? Maybe they gave notice and so on but it was still an adversarial interview.

...and after some scrolling it was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzshhrIj2EY

Some scandal about 3rd party 9900k testing being used in Intel's marketing? Anyway, there is precedent. But Newegg is not just a small test lab no one's ever heard of so it's definitely a new level.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
This is some local news channel publicity stunt bullshit and it kinda looks bad for GN from my perspective. What is to be gained camping out at their head office rather than just confronting them online? I dunno, seems stupid.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Real suggestion: GN should check with a lawyer ahead so he knows his rights if they call security / police on him. I presume he's considered a member of the press too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Charles posted:

Real suggestion: GN should check with a lawyer ahead so he knows his rights if they call security / police on him. I presume he's considered a member of the press too.

In the US, this is extremely cut and dried: you can take pictures and video on / from public spaces. So newegg could kick them off of their front steps or out of their parking lot, but if he sets up on the sidewalk outside their office they can't do poo poo.

(Which is not to say that rear end in a top hat cops or security guards don't hassle people, but the law is clear about our rights.)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah i mean journalists have gone into hostile places with the (polite or otherwise) intent to be refused and kicked out. i would expect but not be assured he also would be within his rights to protest to some degree, say if he found evidence of illicit activity. might get the cops called and asked to leave but idk how the expected reaction of a callout of this kind works wherever newegg's headquarters is. in some states it's very different i think?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I have no idea if they have a plan or not and even less if it’s a good plan or not.

But I totally support what they’re doing. lovely policies, business practices and ethics need to be pointed out and the people held accountable in the most direct way possible. Who hasn’t been screwed over and fantasized about picketing or protesting a business? I know I have.

I’m certain that he’s fired up by all of the people writing to him telling him they’ve been screwed over by this company.
Again, these people need to be held accountable. That includes business leaders, politicians and anyone else whose job it is to make broad decisions that affect a lot of people. I’m glad he’s using some of his resources to bring the fight directly to them. I hope he shows up at the ceos house if he won’t meet with them at the office.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Klyith posted:

In the US, this is extremely cut and dried: you can take pictures and video on / from public spaces. So newegg could kick them off of their front steps or out of their parking lot, but if he sets up on the sidewalk outside their office they can't do poo poo.

(Which is not to say that rear end in a top hat cops or security guards don't hassle people, but the law is clear about our rights.)

The City of Industry is policed by the LA County Sheriff's department, not a group I always expect to understand the rights of citizens.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like Steve - we all do I’m sure - but this is a bit dramatic.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Newegg isn’t responding online, they’re sure as hell not going to respond in person.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the dude who does a ridiculous amount of planning on literally everything he does has probably made sure he’s legally in the clear for this.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

njsykora posted:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the dude who does a ridiculous amount of planning on literally everything he does has probably made sure he’s legally in the clear for this.

No he's not getting in legal trouble, but he sometimes actually has blindspots or overlooks stuff.

Like in that PS5 performance video, where he spent a third of the video going over testing minutiae, but then handwaved away the fact that the PS5 version of devil may cry 5 had enhanced graphics that the pc version couldn't match, making direct comparisons silly (iirc, that's the game that fared the worst in the head to heads leading to the 1060 result).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah he is meticulous but nobody knows everything. He'll be fine though.

Oh and I did see the coasters in the Newegg video, those are pretty sick.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

steve did say that newegg corporate had been non-stop calling his phone after the first video went up. they're not ignorant of the situation and want to settle it quietly, which is causing the deal with it in-person plan

they've committed to it, why waste posts on if it'll generate them money? gn's been rather open on money not being their main desire. better to have an outlet that tries to push pr/corporate out of their comfort zone than the alternative imo

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I feel like a large part of amazon's customer friendliness is purely a function of their size. There is no feasible way for them to carefully investigate and monitor every individual return request to make sure each one is above-board, considering how many they must get every day. So large parts of the process are automated by necessity, and so far this has panned out in favor of the customer since the system seems to take their word for the most part. Unless you return too much poo poo, then Amazon might just ban your account outright without warning. The flipside to the automated process is that the algorithm can suddenly decide that oops, you're a bad actor after all and abruptly reverse course to ban your rear end. (and good luck appealing that)

I worked at Amazon in the FC (warehouse) that deals with the returns for all of Europe (EDI4) . There is no investigation, no checking details etc. It is an unimaginable amount of stuff and it either written off, or the cost is paid by the manufacturer/vendor/seller.

The guys in the NAS thread were discussing returning hard drives with errors, and wondering what sort of testing they would do, and it did make me chuckle as I explained.
(If amazon get hundreds it will trigger something and they will send them back to the source, but usually it is either sold on in bulk or destroyed.
loving depressing)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 15, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Adolf Glitter posted:

I worked at Amazon in the FC (warehouse) that deals with the returns for all of Europe (EDI4) . There is no investigation, no checking details etc. It is an unimaginable amount of stuff and it either written off, or the cost is paid by the manufacturer/vendor/seller.

So who checks the stuff they sell in the Warehouse section of their site? Or is that US only?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rinkles posted:

So who checks the stuff they sell in the Warehouse section of their site? Or is that US only?

Couldn't honestly say. Wasn't part of the site I worked at

EU and US consumer laws differ as well, so take that into consideration

Stuff that is unopened or obviously OK was resold, that would probable be the Warehouse stuff now. (10 years since I was there)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 15, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Literally everything I’ve bought from warehouse has been just damaged outer box, and all the stuff inside is intact.

Probably damaged in transit or in the warehouse itself.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I bought a racing wheel from warehouse and the box was a bit beaten up but everything looked brand new otherwise.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

don't worry guys and gals, the issue was limited to a "very small number of returns"

https://twitter.com/Newegg/status/1493355074319306752?s=20&t=bvK-0wYCC7P6f2MunBM7mg

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

don't worry guys and gals, the issue was limited to a "very small number of returns"

https://twitter.com/Newegg/status/1493355074319306752?s=20&t=bvK-0wYCC7P6f2MunBM7mg

Lol.

This is damage control. Steve has something and they know what it is. And for them to admit wrongdoing and proactively contact customers means it’s badddd.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Steve said he was only announcing the trip in advance in case they tried some PR spin, and there it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Even if Newegg doesn't let him in, Steve can still go talk to a lot of people. Gigabyte, MSI, and Zotac are literally down the street from Newegg.

Also, LA County Sheriffs won't hassle him as long as he stays on public property, I have experience with that. He could always set up shop on the sidewalk outside.