Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Chad Jihad posted:

The only one I bother with regularly is AlphaBetaGamer, caveat a lot of those are indie EA titles that arent necessarily on steam yer
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
can someone sell me on/warn me about Greedfall? Its on gamepass, so no risk besides hard drive space.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh hey Lost Ark looks kind of interes-oh nevermind it's an MMO :sigh:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

buglord posted:

can someone sell me on/warn me about Greedfall? Its on gamepass, so no risk besides hard drive space.

Greedfall is almost a really good game, but it becomes immediately apparent that they did some savage shortcuts. I mean I didn't hate it, but it didn't blow me away. A solidly mediocre title, theres probably better games to bother with but may as well give it a poke I guess?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Oh hey Lost Ark looks kind of interes-oh nevermind it's an MMO :sigh:

It seems aggressively, almost violently overrated. It makes me think of the Ragnarok Online years when publishers licensed crappy asian MMOs to sell.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A little off the threads topic, but what YouTube channels do you all watch to find interesting or new games on steam? Feels like there are hundreds, and a lot of them aren't that good.

Splattercat is pretty good. PartyElite and Gamerzakh I use to keep tabs on new strategy/city builder games but I don't actually listen to them.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I feel like if you are in or out on Control is 100% based on the vibe at the start of the game either its extremely your poo poo or you don't give a poo poo. Gameplay, later unlocks are whatever they don't matter. For the record the Control likers all know Jesse is dynamite, they're right.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I was into Control's vibe but the gameplay ruined it

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Pwnstar posted:

I feel like if you are in or out on Control is 100% based on the vibe at the start of the game either its extremely your poo poo or you don't give a poo poo. Gameplay, later unlocks are whatever they don't matter. For the record the Control likers all know Jesse is dynamite, they're right.

Can confirm, the vibe right from the beginning is what made me play and enjoy the game.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

buglord posted:

It's pretty good. The story and plot is interesting enough but the combat is simple, trite, repetitive... whatever adjective you want to use for a game system that is boring and painfully overused. It's just nonstop combat encounter after combat encounter as you explore the environment. And I made a mage which is apparently the LEAST boring combat style!

The environmental visuals are beautiful (especially the cities), the characters are generally engagingly written, and there are some specific moments in the story that will stick with me for a while. I just wish they stuck the landing more often than wobbled. One of those "perfect" 7-8/10 type game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the vibe is good and once you get launch the gameplay is also good

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A little off the threads topic, but what YouTube channels do you all watch to find interesting or new games on steam? Feels like there are hundreds, and a lot of them aren't that good.

I read this thread.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Benagain posted:

Splattercat is pretty good.

^^ I basically just skim most of his videos and see if something seems interesting.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Det_no posted:

It seems aggressively, almost violently overrated. It makes me think of the Ragnarok Online years when publishers licensed crappy asian MMOs to sell.

It's got excellent combat with terrible leveling but superb endgame stuff to do. And it's free. So if you have an mmo itch you could do a lot worse.

Main issue right now is its so ridiculously popular that the queue times to get in are awful at peak hours.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zereth posted:

I read this thread.

I'm so, so sorry.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I enjoyed the vibe in Control and then also the gameplay in Control. It was all good!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tiny Timbs posted:

I enjoyed the vibe in Control and then also the gameplay in Control. It was all good!

:hmmyes:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

tildes posted:

^^ I basically just skim most of his videos and see if something seems interesting.

Yeah, just looking, he seems exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, all!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a video game YouTube channel that doesn't annoy the hell out of me, at least not since Total Biscuit. I just skim /r/games and this thread lol.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They're not super prolific and I think they might be slowly changing gears to a more general video game channel, but First Five is alright for some "here's some cool new poo poo to put on your radar" videos.

Pwnstar posted:

I wish I had some way of knowing how many people picked up on the spatial fuckery in the first couple of minutes of gameplay vs. had it sail right over their head, because to me that was the exact point I said okay, I'm probably going to really like this game.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I just noticed Psychonauts 2 was on PC Gamepass so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'd previously got a few hours into the first one and then got distracted and never came back.

In my head I think I'd developed some unconscious bias against DoubleFine because of some of the poo poo they've pulled over the years, and I think it made me forget how good their games can be.

The story, art style, voice acting, humor, gameplay, controls of this game are totally my poo poo. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Edit: Hell I just noticed that my avatar is from a DF game too. I'm dumb.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Wasn't New World also making headlines over how popular it was, only to have its player count decrease sharply weeks later?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

John Murdoch posted:

I wish I had some way of knowing how many people picked up on the spatial fuckery in the first couple of minutes of gameplay vs. had it sail right over their head, because to me that was the exact point I said okay, I'm probably going to really like this game.

Or some people just don't like Control. It's not exactly a really deep game that only some people "get"

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I have no idea what Control is like despite owning it because their stunt with the Humble key made sure I didn't feel like even bothering.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just bought it on Steam and played it there

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

kazil posted:

Or some people just don't like Control. It's not exactly a really deep game that only some people "get"

I didn't say it was.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

John Murdoch posted:

They're not super prolific and I think they might be slowly changing gears to a more general video game channel, but First Five is alright for some "here's some cool new poo poo to put on your radar" videos.

Sadly they gave you a map of the building quickly after that so that was the last time they could do that trick

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I'm not super far into it, but after a bunch of hours I'm having a real tough time ungluing myself from Sekimeiya: Spun Glass. It pulls you in hard.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The best SHMUP out there just keeps getting better :D

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart

quote:

v7.0 - February 14th, 2022
-A whole new game mode to unlock!
-69 new dreams to fulfill! (Total: 552)
-2 new songs
-3 new dreamscapes
-Story: Lowest level monsters now start with the same amount of fear across all difficulties
-Endless: Rebalanced the allocation of stat increases for highly overlevel monsters
-Endless: monster level is now reset to the cycle's mininum level at the start of the first 4 cycles
-Endless: Increased the rate that gift prices increase after buying more than 20 of each type
-Increased the goal for the "Power Creep" dream to buying a 60 karma gift (was 50)
-Added more questions to Sentinel's Quiz
-Slightly increased the damage of the feather ball charge attack
-Added alternate versions of radiant monster bullets that are used against lighter backgrounds
-The name and card art for a potential Upgrade Gifts is revealed if a matching card was radiated before

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

OzFactor posted:

I know there are a lot of fans here, so I need help: I bought Invisible Inc during the last sale and I really loved it through the beginner difficulty, but I got to the not-an-ending and now I'm on the middle difficulty and just getting my rear end handed to me over and over again. I can barely make it through three maps and I don't feel like I'm learning anything specific. It just feels like everything is too much: the guards are stacked together way too often, their patrols are longer than my guys can move without upgrades, the alarm level goes up way faster, and by the third or fourth level I'm totally outclassed. Are there things I'm supposed to be prioritizing? I feel like playing the first difficulty may have taught me the wrong things. I feel like I was able to get away with almost never knocking anyone out but now in the harder difficulty it seems like the guards are so clustered together there's no way around it way too often.

Dunno if anyone replied to you since I'm binge reading hundreds of posts, but I played a lot of Invisible Inc back when it came out. My advice might be a bit off because it's been so long since I last played, so I might not be remembering things correctly. Beginner difficulty is a trap because it reinforces so many bad habits. You can still do well while still ultimate greeding every stage, but sometimes it's better to just leave. It doesn't initially make sense since you feel like the alarms are a huge time constraint, but you should take your time. Extra guards/bots coming in isn't actually that bad! If you don't have the appropriate programs, keep an eye on guard paths.They're always the same unless something piques their interest (which you can use to your benefit with ambushes). Camp on top of KO'd guards so they don't wake up to better time your next moves. You can keep two KO'd guards occupied by having an agent drag a body and end their turn on top of one already on the ground. Killing guards is actually a good way to get things done quickly, if you've been avoiding it. The drone and turret corps are the easiest to deal with because you can hack them to do scouting and fighting for you. Opening doors ALWAYS is peek -> open -> peek from the side.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 14, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

The Chad Jihad posted:

The only one I bother with regularly is AlphaBetaGamer, caveat a lot of those are indie EA titles that arent necessarily on steam yer

This and https://www.whatsonsteam.com for me

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I just noticed Psychonauts 2 was on PC Gamepass so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'd previously got a few hours into the first one and then got distracted and never came back.

In my head I think I'd developed some unconscious bias against DoubleFine because of some of the poo poo they've pulled over the years, and I think it made me forget how good their games can be.

The story, art style, voice acting, humor, gameplay, controls of this game are totally my poo poo. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Edit: Hell I just noticed that my avatar is from a DF game too. I'm dumb.

Yeah it's nice to see Double Fine firing on all cylinders and reminding us all what they are capable of. Psychonauts 2 has definitely restored my faith in their potential. I'm not expecting them to be consistent after all their misses before that, but I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on all their future releases.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, Psychonauts 2 surprised me a lot. They managed the tricky feat of making it feel like they hadn't skipped a single beat between the installments while still letting the writing grow and mature and hurt as the develops must have over the years.

The ending made me tear up. I want more of this Double Fine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I thought Psychonauts 2 was a very good game but still a bit weaker than the first one. But the first one is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm not sure that any sequel could've lived up to it for me.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Is rhombus of ruin worth playing? I didn't have VR when it came out so honestly just forgot about it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The latest bundle at Fanatical has some cool indie stuff, Dex and Cosmic Star Heroine amongst others.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

I thought Psychonauts 2 was a very good game but still a bit weaker than the first one. But the first one is one of my favorite games of all time and I'm not sure that any sequel could've lived up to it for me.

i think the ultimate irony with psychonauts 2 is despite the fact that 16 years worth of polish is clearly visible in the writing, the environments, characters, and just about every other aspect of the game, the game's achilles heel is identical to the one it had in psychonauts 1: pretty crummy combat

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
OlliOlli World is so drat good. I can get people not really wanting to spend 30 bucks on it, it is a bit slim for that amount of money, but you can tell the work and love that have gone into the game, and it's fun as hell. It's exactly what a sequel should be: improves the base gameplay, adds a bunch of worthwhile stuff and makes it look way better without LOSING anything.

Only complaint is that SOME parts of it seem a little easy compared to the first two, but drat is it fun. Couldn't recommend it more. Anyone else playing?

Trickyblackjack posted:

Kudos to Unsighted for sticking to their guns. I just finished the first boss and I only now realized that the time limit is legit. Unless some new mechanic is introduced, I will not be able to save most of this town. The writing is very YA, so I don't really care, but still. A lot of friendly bots are going to go hollow.

on the plus side, then you get to kill them

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Play posted:

OlliOlli World is so drat good. I can get people not really wanting to spend 30 bucks on it, it is a bit slim for that amount of money, but you can tell the work and love that have gone into the game, and it's fun as hell. It's exactly what a sequel should be: improves the base gameplay, adds a bunch of worthwhile stuff and makes it look way better without LOSING anything.

Only complaint is that SOME parts of it seem a little easy compared to the first two, but drat is it fun. Couldn't recommend it more. Anyone else playing?

It's probably more a reflection of my age than anything, but no, to me it absolutely doesn't look better. The first two had perfectly good pixel art and I totally dig that. World looks like a flash game.

Good on them if they improved on the gameplay though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This is obnoxious. I can still play the game but every time I press pause I have to wait about 90 seconds for the game to fail to reach the servers. Is there an easy workaround?