Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Orthanc6 posted:

I've ran into a guy on the train bragging about his concealed carry license, which I'm pretty sure isn't a thing for civilians here, and a guy at a protest no-joke saying we should defend the 2nd amendment, to which naturally the entire crowd screamed back "This isn't America".

I feel that about 90% of idiots pushing this angle are just Americans who apparently are doing protest tourism here, and the other 10% actually want the US to annex Canada.

I am so sorry that y'all have to deal with the abso-loving-loute worst of us.

Can't say we aren't like that altogether, either. gently caress it, that's our problem. Sorry we let it be y'all's. And let it we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
love the new thread title

Orthanc6 posted:

I've ran into a guy on the train bragging about his concealed carry license, which I'm pretty sure isn't a thing for civilians here, and a guy at a protest no-joke saying we should defend the 2nd amendment, to which naturally the entire crowd screamed back "This isn't America".

I feel that about 90% of idiots pushing this angle are just Americans who apparently are doing protest tourism here, and the other 10% actually want the US to annex Canada.

I have definitely met Canadians that regularly misapply US right-wing talking points to Canada. Yes, they all watch Fox News.

yes, they're distant relatives :(

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

love the new thread title

I have definitely met Canadians that regularly misapply US right-wing talking points to Canada. Yes, they all watch Fox News.

yes, they're distant relatives :(

I thought Fox News was an illegal broadcast in Canada as it is propaganda? Or can they voluntarily buy it if they want?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They have to use pirate satellites to watch Fox News. If they’re caught the minimum punishment is a month in our communist gulag.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I thought Fox News was an illegal broadcast in Canada as it is propaganda? Or can they voluntarily buy it if they want?

I wish.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

They have to use pirate satellites to watch Fox News. If they’re caught the minimum punishment is a month in our communist gulag.

Which is a merciful sentence for putting Fox News on a screen anywhere. If I had my way they'd be sent off on an ice flow with a bottle of maple syrup being held just out of reach until they sink or go mad.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I don't get what any non-American (hell not white American) gets out of watching Fox News tbh; it's openly a mouthpiece for specifically rightwing American bullshit thst isn't even relevant to any international audience.

It's like watching North Korean news broadcasts, what the gently caress is the point if you don't live there and already buy in to the insane poo poo?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Looking forward to the same people who spent the past two weeks trying to pin this on Trudeau suddenly being mad that he's doing something about it

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Apparently there is a process for civilians to get a license to carry, either concealed or open, but one generally needs to convince the authorities of a legitimate need. Rumor has it that JT's mom used to have one.
More commonly it's an open carry license, and it's work related. ie armored car drivers, etc.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drunk Kenney shows up again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZuthAiMuk&t=690s

Thousands of rounds, and willingness to use force against the Police.

so 11 of them were ready to shoot cops, 2 others tried to ram police vehicles.

Just a couple of bad apples. boys will be boys,

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TulliusCicero posted:

I think a similar argument was used to deny it from basic cable, but you can pay extra to get it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powershift posted:

so 11 of them were ready to shoot cops, 2 others tried to ram police vehicles.

It legitimately gets a laugh out of me that it's barely possible for the cops to be any more on their side and they're still ready to shoot them.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't get what any non-American (hell not white American) gets out of watching Fox News tbh; it's openly a mouthpiece for specifically rightwing American bullshit thst isn't even relevant to any international audience.

It's like watching North Korean news broadcasts, what the gently caress is the point if you don't live there and already buy in to the insane poo poo?

On the other hand, I totally and completely understand Americans wanting to get their news from non-American broadcasters.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 14, 2022

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Anyone who was carrying a handgun or high capacity mag can be charged with a felony.

Pitter patter.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Thats not going to happen and you know it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Anyone who was carrying a handgun or high capacity mag can be charged with a felony.

Pitter patter.

My understanding is that they are rather highly frowned upon.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/FourWinns298/status/1493273410721431552?s=20&t=Qs1TJK-ADeX_BW62mUZPfw

"I didn't see this all the way through"

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Always interesting that the first expense these people cut is the cost of feeding their kids. Any time they have to pay for anything, it's the "food being taken from my kids mouths".

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

CBC livestream for Trudeau, currently talking to Alberta RCMP regarding the incident and the threat apparently made to murder RCMP.

https://youtu.be/M1iXToPJFcs

Edit: holy god drat someone tried to ram the RCMP with a semi-trailer?

Edit 2: Yep here it is. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/coutts-protest-blockade-arrests-rcmp-monday-1.6351112

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 14, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dude is just hoping to get in on the grift change. Wonder what the rules for Gofundme are for individual idiots.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Madkal posted:

Dude is just hoping to get in on the grift change. Wonder what the rules for Gofundme are for individual idiots.

There's no way a guy with "NFT & Crypto Training" and what I presume is some bored ape-derived gimmick avatar on their public Facebook page could possibly be an aspiring grifter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Trudeau live in "minutes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1iXToPJFcs

They just interviewed 2 dipshits and hopefully some sort of education is a requirement of their inevitable gentle slap on the wrist.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Maybe companies that lost money due to border closures will look at the companies/plates of trucks involved in the blockades and sue them for damages.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Trudeau has invoked the Emergencies Act.

Holy poo poo get yer popcorn ready and hold on to your butts

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I’m so glad he got rid of that beard he had, he looked like a friend’s ex who I despise.

Trudeau: “GO HOME.”

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

stab posted:

Trudeau has invoked the Emergencies Act.

Holy poo poo get yer popcorn ready and hold on to your butts

Wonder how this is going to poll with the people who already hate Trudeau with their entire being.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crypto and crowdfunding now covered under proceeds of crime and terrorist funding laws. That should be a hoot.

e: hopefully every company listed on convoytraitors has their accounts frozen and closed.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 14, 2022

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Also letting banks immediately freeze accounts without a court order if they're suspecting the use of the funds for illegal blockades.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AegisP posted:

Also letting banks immediately freeze accounts without a court order if they're suspecting the use of the funds for illegal blockades.

Insurance companies to cancel immediately too.

Hope every scale house is open on their drive home without insurance.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The financial, insurance, and regulatory specifics are a lot more targeted than I expected they were going to go with, but make sense when compared against all of the information previously unveiled regarding the funding sources and way in which things were being financed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

On the other hand, I totally and completely understand Americans wanting to get their news from non-American broadcasters.

I'm weird because I want to watch Canadian news, but the Canadians I know are mostly of the 'not represented in US politics because they're so far left' type, and so if you ask them for opinions about Canadian media it's usually a variation of, "the CBC is kinda alright I guess, everything else is conservative." Which is annoying because when I watch The National they elevate a lot of stories that would be regional to national importance in, I imagine, an attempt to craft a very Canadian-focused newscast. A story about US politics, for example, has to be very important to rank higher than the 'in other news' column.

I just want something that would resemble a US newscast if we stopped ignoring Canada, it's government, etc. From what little I've seen, CTV seems to come closest to that? It's irritating that we share this huge land border with a population the size of California and yet our press treats it like it might as well be somewhere around Germany for all we care. It's because of that ignorance that you can find Americans who wonder why they put the British Queen on Canadian money, or fell for Rick Mercer's "National Igloo" bit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Are the sign language interpreters always so uh expressive?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

At the beginning, Trudeau dropped an announcement of a new $500 million loan to Ukraine, along with $7.8 million worth of lethal equipment, and thanked Freeland. Everyone please join him in thanking our diligent deputy prime minister.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Are the sign language interpreters always so uh expressive?

Facial expressions contribute important context and emotional information that you would express vocally with tone and inflection.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

B33rChiller posted:

Apparently there is a process for civilians to get a license to carry, either concealed or open, but one generally needs to convince the authorities of a legitimate need. Rumor has it that JT's mom used to have one.
More commonly it's an open carry license, and it's work related. ie armored car drivers, etc.

I met a guy at a pilot school with one in BC. He's also a cargo/bush pilot, that flies to really remote lakes in the Territories and northern BC. He was approved to carry a large caliber revolver, I believe it was a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan chambered in 454 Casull, your typical snub nose bear gun. I think that basically he was restricted to only carry during work duties like a security guard. So I guess its like a "guard" card in some US states vs a full blown CCW.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Ah yes, questions alternating between "some premiers don't want this power, can you commit to not using it" and "if you're using it, why have you waited until now to use this power".

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

AegisP posted:

Ah yes, questions alternating between "some premiers don't want this power, can you commit to not using it" and "if you're using it, why have you waited until now to use this power".

"How dare you do this, and how dare you not have done it already!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

tagesschau posted:

"How dare you do this, and how dare you not have done it already!"

Parliament.txt

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I'm amused how in the face of repeated questions that were essentially, "Throw the Ottawa police under the bus please," with the PM specifically not doing so, the closest Trudeau was going to tiptoe on the issue was that noting that in the future there's probably going to be an inquiry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Wait so now they've included crypto into FINTRAC and apparently they intend to pass a law later to make this permanent? Because lol