Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Testekill posted:

https://twitter.com/RealBShannon3/status/1492622824342757377

New genre of tweet has dropped, AEW fans are responsible for the failure of TNA.

He's not wrong but not for the reasons he thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Does Mike Kurtz have heat with The Rock

This is his secret to reveal in his own time

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

When Kenny Omega, one of the biggest wrestlers in the world, held the TNA belt for 110 days, that was just him killing the company

the fact that Christian beat Kenny for the belt was just killing the company even more. Wait what do you mean Christian was in the first TNA championship match

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Testekill posted:

New genre of tweet has dropped, AEW fans are responsible for the failure of TNA.

This isn't actually a new genre, unsurprisingly

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I have bought exactly 3 TNA DVDs and 1 Hernandez shirt in my life, and I have no doubt I've supported them more by doing that than the majority of the people complaining

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Testekill posted:

"You SAY you want an alternative for this moldy microwave hamburger, but didn't eat literal poo poo, so obviously you're just complaining for complaining's sake!"

Now ROH, on the other hand. In retrospect I absolutely wish I'd watched ROH when they were new and hot, but they just came too soon. Buying DVDs from some American company back in the day was a lot less feasible than paying for a streaming service these days.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"You SAY you want an alternative for this moldy microwave hamburger, but didn't eat literal poo poo, so obviously you're just complaining for complaining's sake!"

Now ROH, on the other hand. In retrospect I absolutely wish I'd watched ROH when they were new and hot, but they just came too soon. Buying DVDs from some American company back in the day was a lot less feasible than paying for a streaming service these days.

I watched a fair bit of TNA around 2005-2007 or so, as well as when they shifted to the Impact branding in the brief period where Hogan hadn't yet arrived to suck up all the available oxygen in the early 2010s, and a fair bit of pre-Sinclair ROH around the early 2010s as well. There's very valid reasons why people weren't watching these supposed "alternatives" to WWE at the time.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

TNA's viewership was so consistent for years no matter what they did that 1.1 was a running joke, but the product was so maddeningly inconsistent that it never converted into actual buy rates. The market for a WWE alternative was always there, there just wasn't anyone with a combination of money and connections and booking acumen to come along until AEW started.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's no surprise no AEW fans or people within the company actually use the word "alternative" at all. that line got run into the ground so much back when wwe was sort of ok that it was a joke 5+ years before AEW even existed. maybe people used to want "an alternative to wwe", but that's not relevant anymore. people want something that's pretty good in the first place. people don't think "i want an alternative for arby's", they want good food from somewhere. the lovely food place does not factor in

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
eh, I think the consistency of how often you get good stuff from somewhere is important. impact had and has worthwhile matches, it's just that you couldn't bank on having a decent time week to week like you can with aew

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yeah that's the problem with TNA, they had some good matches but anywhere from 50-90% of the average show or PPV was in the range of boring or heatless to absolute loving garbage.

It's really not a viable formula to have your viewer try to sift through the mountain of flaming trash to find some nuggets of gold. Look at current WWE for a similar example.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
TNA had all the good will in the world from wrestling fans desperate for something different from WWE, and they kept hiring back Russo. They had so many chances to be the alternative, and they hosed up every single one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

TNA had all the good will in the world from wrestling fans desperate for something different from WWE, and they kept hiring back Russo. They had so many chances to be the alternative, and they hosed up every single one.

And Jarrett

Jarrett was so loving awful

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I watched a lot of TNA from 05-08 and was never tempted to buy a PPV even though there was stuff I was into.

Some friends and I would get super stoned and watch it most weeks, maybe we should've saved that for a few years later.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Some guy posted a big list of their talent in that convo to prove TNA was an alternative, but yeah, he left out it was booked by Russo for a long while.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They had Samoa Joe and the had him lose to Tomko and paint a dick on his face.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

They also had a tendency of portraying Joe as the whiniest bitch that ever wrestled, at least when they weren't too busy having him abducted by ninjas.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
i check out the impact plutotv channel pretty often and like, i saw a styles-daniels match this weekend that was sick as hell but also they were running "greatest matches: kevin nash" yesterday so swings and roundabouts

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I like the underlying point to Shannon's rant: AEW fans only like AEW to be mean jerks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It seems highly probable, I reached out to The Rock for comment and not only did he give no answer, he didn't even acknowledge he'd gotten my message at all - there is no other possible explanation but that I am on to something extremely legitimate and real.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Saucer Crab posted:

TNA's viewership was so consistent for years no matter what they did that 1.1 was a running joke, but the product was so maddeningly inconsistent that it never converted into actual buy rates. The market for a WWE alternative was always there, there just wasn't anyone with a combination of money and connections and booking acumen to come along until AEW started.

TNA actively discouraged you from paying to see them under Carter. The booking was always to have the PPVs be inconclusive and the big stuff to happen on Impact.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Cavauro posted:

it's no surprise no AEW fans or people within the company actually use the word "alternative" at all. that line got run into the ground so much back when wwe was sort of ok that it was a joke 5+ years before AEW even existed. maybe people used to want "an alternative to wwe", but that's not relevant anymore. people want something that's pretty good in the first place. people don't think "i want an alternative for arby's", they want good food from somewhere. the lovely food place does not factor in

It's also hard to market yourself as an alternative to WWE when you have a reputation for going dumpster diving for talent in Stamford.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

TNA actively discouraged you from paying to see them under Carter. The booking was always to have the PPVs be inconclusive and the big stuff to happen on Impact.

This is what will happen to the WWE within the next five years as the TV deals come up

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/678222327989964801
https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/681588158769725444

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This is fresh Kurtzlore and I'm here for it. Fascinating.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Kurtz WWE shares took a massive dive when Rocky left in 04.

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021

Venomous posted:

This is what will happen to the WWE within the next five years as the TV deals come up

Lol the Rumble opened with a DQ title match, it’s already happening.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Bill Shannon conveniently ignores that everyone who wanted an alternative in recent years was watching New Japan, which is why AEW started on the backs of talent who got over in NJPW.

More people would probably still be watching New Japan if some of the booking hadn't gone the way of TNA

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
ROH was primed to be that alternative and did nothing, fumbled every conceivable ball, an absolute comedy of errors, neglect, and incompetence, and only somewhat rectified things during COVID when recovery was nigh impossible.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

They had Samoa Joe and the had him lose to Tomko and paint a dick on his face.

They had Kazuchika Okada and the most they could think to do with him was make him a Kato ripoff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ringsidenews_/status/1493395993290842112?s=20&t=B00H07wbGOfdZa_24SjyzA

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

I want to run every single person involved in this tweet over with a steam roller

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Engagement is engagement, I guess.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
You don't know what those words mean

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

"Forbidden Door" is gonna be the new "Pipe Bomb" where everyone just throws it out all the time even when it makes no goddamn sense to use that term

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Drakkel posted:

"Forbidden Door" is gonna be the new "Pipe Bomb" where everyone just throws it out all the time even when it makes no goddamn sense to use that term

maybe on the socials, but Tony was smart enough to trademark the term, so WWE can kick sand.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

maybe on the socials, but Tony was smart enough to trademark the term, so WWE can kick sand.

"THE UNLAWFUL HOLE IN THE WALL!"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

Tony worked himself into scrambling to book Jay White because he used the term when it made no goddam sense to.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

exactly.

Tony respects his creation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Drakkel posted:

"THE UNLAWFUL HOLE IN THE WALL!"

The Big Dogfart