Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So, since I have the Visa card, are all of the cash back rewards rolled into the one I get from it? Do executive members who don’t have the card get a check directly from Costco or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Yes, I am an Exec member without the card so I get a voucher to use at Costco for the reward amount.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Cyrano4747 posted:

If it's anything like the WalMart app, no, you really really don't.

strangehamster posted:

It’s a great app, scan everything in your cart to pay, and scan again on the way out the door.

yeah, it's actually amazing and I love it. you use your camera to scan the item barcodes in your cart, you input your cc info, then it shows you a barcode that the receipt people at the exit scan.

Sam's all have the wireless scanner guns on their self checkouts, too. their website actually works and is accurate. they're miles ahead of costco (and walmart, go figure) in terms of tech/web stuff

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

namlosh posted:

So, since I have the Visa card, are all of the cash back rewards rolled into the one I get from it? Do executive members who don’t have the card get a check directly from Costco or something?

I believe these are two separate credits.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Unponderable posted:

I believe these are two separate credits.

Yeah, you get your executive bonus at around the time of renewal, and the Visa rewards some time early in the new year. I just got my credit card certificate email yesterday, and I directly deposited* it into my bank account via the citi website. Pretty easy!

*The certificate has to be at least $500 for direct deposit.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I really don't understand why they don't let us do statement credit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

david_a posted:

I do. 4% on gas and 3% on restaurants (I think?) is pretty good. I also use it at CostCo. There was a Wirecutter article saying not to for min-maxing reasons but it’s my only Visa so whatever.

Outside of rotating-category cards (which I just can't be assed to deal with at all) I don't think anything beats the Costco card for gas, restaurants, and Costco itself. 1% on everything else is unexceptional and the fact that you only cash out said rewards once a year is both a blessing and a curse. You can get very close to min-maxing results with far less effort by pairing it with a card that does 1.5% on everything like a Chase Freedom or BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards. Use the Costco card anywhere you get 2% or better, use the other one everywhere else.

I only deal with other store cards if they do 5% back (Target/Amazon), and only for those stores.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
They just made a change to reward thank you points rather than just straight cash but Citi Doublecash is a great daily driver for non-category stuff. I think the thank you points can just be exchanged 1:1 for cash so it's just an extra step than it used to be but is ultimately still 2% on everything.

e: It's a Mastercard so doesn't work at Costco though

astral
Apr 26, 2004

US Bank's no-annual-fee Altitude Go card gives 4% back on dining, takeout and restaurant delivery.

BFC has a good credit card rewards thread if anyone's interested in finding out more about what's out there:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679537&goto=lastpost

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Having the luxury to live within ~30 minutes of 8 Costco's and a Business center I found what I never expected to find;a Costco so much worse then normal it makes Sam's Club seem like the reasonable option.

Terrible, terrible parking lot, much smaller store size, what seems like noticeably less item variety, and a front register area with less space then most gas station check outs. If it's super busy I can't even imagine how backed up and crowded the front of the store is.

The one saving grace was no one waiting in line for food, like 10 mins passed and I never saw more then 1-2 people walk up. PBUC the dog and the drink were a salve to my soul after that experience.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sam's Club is owned by the Waltons.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They still say "goodnight johnboy" every time they close

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Sams Club?

More like IDIOT FUCKHEAD Club

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Gaius Marius posted:

Whoa

So the only goon who got your joke says hi

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Stopped at Costco on the way home 10/10 would go again on weekday valentine's day it's a ghost town

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I spent 420 at costco yesterday

food saver bags are 40 bucks now jeez... that bites into the savings. You're looking at like a .25 cent premium per meal once you factor bag cost in

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can FoodSaver® Bags be re-sealed?

Yes. Just cut off the existing seal, remove as much food as you need, then re-vacuum seal. Be sure to wipe off any food or grease residue inside the FoodSaver® bag near the seal area. You can also re-seal FoodSaver® Bags after you have washed them.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Buy the knockoff rolls and never waste a half a bag again.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Stopped at Costco on the way home 10/10 would go again on weekday valentine's day it's a ghost town

Stopped at Costco during lunch today and it was an absolute madhouse of people buying flowers and chocolates last minute

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Nothing like buying stuff you don't need for a made up holiday. Smarter people basically just celebrated it yesterday along with the superbowl.

In other news, i've been buying a box of apples a week from Costco and so far the Cosmic Crisp ones are my favorite so far, i'll probably grab the Honey Crisps next but they're slightly pricey at about 11.99 for about 8 apples.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Chinatown posted:

I have this waiting in my fridge. Sukhis is good.

God dammit, the Costcos near me only have Tikka Masala now. I've never got that one and I'm sure it's fine but I loved the coconut curry one so much.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I wish my Costco had Cosmic Crisps. They're monsters of hybridization but it's the pinnacle of science in crispy sweet tartness

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing wrong with crop hybridization we've been doing it for centuries

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I just have a thing for old apples and biodynamic orchards. I love Northern Spy apples the most

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sam's Club is owned by the Waltons.

Like, from the old TV show?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

e;f,b

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

david_a posted:

There was a Wirecutter article saying not to for min-maxing reasons but it’s my only Visa so whatever.

A lot of the credit card review sites don't like it because they can't sell referrals.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

we bought the stuffed salmon from the premade deli section last time. they come four to a package with like a fake crab/generic seafood stuffing. they were really good and great for a fast minimal effort meal, but they're pretty pricey to do often.

That salmon absolutely destroys my intestines every time I try it.

The yakisoba kit though? Quickly became a must buy every trip.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Costco apple hot take: the apples they sell are too big. I want an apple like… 1/2-1/3 the size of those monsters. It’s too much apple for one sitting.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The yakisoba kit though? Quickly became a must buy every trip.

These have been a super awesome "aw gently caress I forgot to eat lunch" meal for me. I'm planning on getting some veggies and chicken to make bigger meals out of it soon

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bagmonkey posted:

These have been a super awesome "aw gently caress I forgot to eat lunch" meal for me. I'm planning on getting some veggies and chicken to make bigger meals out of it soon

My goto for that are the Snapdragon instant pho bowls.

I mean, it's fundamentally instant soup. It's not transcendently good restaurant pho or anything. But it's really loving solid, worlds better than some cup o noodles bullshit, and if you add some ground chili is legit tasty.

Plus it's 200 calories vs. ~380-420 for your typical Maruchan stuff.

Back in the before times, in the long long ago when I went into an office, I'd keep a few of them tucked into a desk drawer to hedge against forgetting my lunch at home. Hell, some days I'd purposefully bring one because they're legit tasty.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

I spent 420 at costco yesterday

food saver bags are 40 bucks now jeez... that bites into the savings. You're looking at like a .25 cent premium per meal once you factor bag cost in

Kirkland has their own vacuum bags now https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-vacuum-sealing-bags%2c-assortment-pack.product.100796371.html. They're $29.99 and seem to be a little thinner, I've not seen them in the stores though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

They had some of those Kirkland bags in my store a few weeks ago for $24.99. I picked up a box but am still working through the previous Food Saver box before I try one.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BadSamaritan posted:

Costco apple hot take: the apples they sell are too big. I want an apple like… 1/2-1/3 the size of those monsters. It’s too much apple for one sitting.

If you are okay with trash apples there's snack sized Galas.

Also while looking up apple grading (like, what does extra fancy mean) the other day I found there's apparently an exception for the "invisible water core" fault just for Fuji apples, just because Fuji growers complained that invisible water core happens all the time with Fujis.

Invisible water core is apparently when the interior near the core gets glassy and really sweet, and some people call it a "sugar core" and think it's a bonus.

Also "extra fancy" when applied to ketchup is the highest grade of thickness, tested by setting how far you can smear a sample.

Now you're extra fancy too!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Made a trip this past weekend and picked up the cinnamon butter loaves. They are really good - polished one off over the course of three days.

Found these milk chocolate toffee nut clusters and they are extremely good.

Finally pulled the trigger on a bag of the cheese/caramel popcorn and as an avowed popcorn disliker, it's very good.

Got a pack (well, 2-pack) of frozen orange chicken but haven't tried it yet. We got a bag of mandarin chicken from Trader Joe's the other week which was really good and spurred this purchase - anyone tried it? Good? Not good?

My kid was throwing a big tantrum while we browsed so we grabbed a bag of the Siete grain-free churro strips to let him munch on something. Not a fan - they're certainly cinnamon-y enough, but the strips themselves are absolutely flavorless.

Also finally picked up a Nest so we could change the temperature upstairs so our kids don't freeze from the comfort of our bed or basement and it was a super easy install. The extra temp sensor is nice too so we can peg the thermostat to it in our younger son's room which is typically colder than the rest of the rooms, without overheating my older son's room.

Ended the trip with a dog for me and chicken bake for my wife and son. A Good Trip.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Got a pack (well, 2-pack) of frozen orange chicken but haven't tried it yet. We got a bag of mandarin chicken from Trader Joe's the other week which was really good and spurred this purchase - anyone tried it? Good? Not good?

It's better than the Trader Joe's chicken, and I think the TJ chicken is pretty dang good.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Also my co had a box of thin, lo-mein-ish noodles (Thin Kan-To Noodles). 9 packs of 5 sheafs of noodles for ~$12. Much better than the nearby grocery store’s $4 for one pack.

Made sesame peanut noodles last night with them and some panko shrimp, it was a big hit, and I didn’t have to pick up a bunch of floor rice dropped by the toddlers.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BadSamaritan posted:

bunch of floor rice dropped by the toddlers.

Ooh my god I just had a flashback to a Greek restaurant I used to work where this family of regulars had kids we referred to as the "rice monsters."

Eventually we bought a kid sized broom and dustpan and handed it to the eightish-year-old when they were done eating and kept doing it until they quit coming in.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BadSamaritan posted:

Also my co had a box of thin, lo-mein-ish noodles (Thin Kan-To Noodles). 9 packs of 5 sheafs of noodles for ~$12. Much better than the nearby grocery store’s $4 for one pack.

Made sesame peanut noodles last night with them and some panko shrimp, it was a big hit, and I didn’t have to pick up a bunch of floor rice dropped by the toddlers.

The Taiwanese noodles? Those are delish. I usually fancy up the sauce with oyster sauce, sesame oil, and some garlic chile sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BadSamaritan posted:

As someone who eats way too few fruits/veggies, I think I prefer the giant apples because I always finish them and it forces more fruity goodness into my gut