Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

i am a moron posted:

I’m assuming a private company is guessing at the value of the equity, right?
Does anyone know if a company sells before you vest, does the vesting schedule still matter?
Are there any tax implications with whatever form this takes?
If the company is doing heavily diluting the shares by handing them out for retention purposes, do they have to disclose any of that?

Pretty much yes, or using the value of their last round. Most would say to value pre-IPO equity at essentially zero and look at it as a bonus if it hits, but you know your company's IPO probability better.
It does matter. You don't generally accelerate your vests if it IPOs. There are also lockup periods to look at where you aren't liquid until well after the IPO, however you can still exercise.
There are tax implications but not until you exercise it. RSUs are taxed as income. Options have their own rules.
They don't have to disclose poo poo. There are many ways they can exit where your shares become worthless. Preferred shares are increasingly common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
So, my job finally got us back in office for a 50/50 hybrid model when I was fully remote for my first three months (I was actually okay with relocating so this is not a big deal). I am now apartment hunting, and I have realized that I cannot afford to live by myself in Washington DC without some serious concessions that I'm not willing to make. Roommate interviews are more stressful than job interviews and it feels like there's so much competition. I'm commuting from NYC to DC while I look for a place to live because it's actually cheaper to take a train in on Wednesday, work third shift, get a hotel for a night and sleep all day, work third shift on Thursday, check out of my hotel, then immediately head back to NYC so I can work my remote third shifts. I am insane for doing this.

Otherwise, the job is extremely chill, and I'm pretty happy with it for my first tech job. Just wish the places I could afford local to the area weren't set aside specifically for people with low income, with a limit right below what I make.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

KS posted:

Pretty much yes, or using the value of their last round. Most would say to value pre-IPO equity at essentially zero and look at it as a bonus if it hits, but you know your company's IPO probability better.
It does matter. You don't generally accelerate your vests if it IPOs. There are also lockup periods to look at where you aren't liquid until well after the IPO, however you can still exercise.
There are tax implications but not until you exercise it. RSUs are taxed as income. Options have their own rules.
They don't have to disclose poo poo. There are many ways they can exit where your shares become worthless. Preferred shares are increasingly common.

Thanks for the info! One thing though - it’s definitely not IPO’ing. Goal is a private sale. Does that change anything?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bob Morales posted:

Didja do it?

NOPE.

Also, our junior security person pushes out Windows updates to all clients and servers, lol. it fucks up at least once a month.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

i am a moron posted:

My company gave me a bad yearly raise (2k in salary, 3k in bonus which comes out to 2%ish) this year. I told them at the review I took it as a pay cut and I’ll be looking. SVP and Director schedule a call with me, I assumed to negotiate what we could. I get on this call and I’m being granted 100k in equity at our current valuation (supposedly) and the SVP said he has a bunch of equity and expects it to 4x once we sell. Four year vesting schedule. So if they’re telling the truth I feel like I got the golden handcuffs slapped on, but I have some questions:

I’m assuming a private company is guessing at the value of the equity, right?
Does anyone know if a company sells before you vest, does the vesting schedule still matter?
Are there any tax implications with whatever form this takes?
If the company is doing heavily diluting the shares by handing them out for retention purposes, do they have to disclose any of that?

I’ve never been in startup land and I wouldn’t have expected this from my company so anyones knowledge would be cool. I don’t have the paperwork but trying to decide if I pursue some other opportunities or just settle in.

Howdy sir. Here's my perspective from once working for a private company that I got a little bit of stock options in a long time ago.

1) There's a formula they should be using to set a current valuation
2) The paperwork you get will cover all this. There is often "change of control" language in the vesting schedule that will accelerate things. The company I worked for went through a change of control and my option vesting accelerated 18 months because of that. My vesting schedule was 1 year for 25% and then monthly vesting of the remaining 75%
3) Tax implications. Everything I went through was handled as W2 income for the most part. When I vested they sold shares to cover the taxes, and then I sold my shares soon after. Everything was just handled on my w-2.
4) I'm not sure, they don't really have to disclose much as a private company. They should have to notify everyone in the current stock plan if they plan to issue more shares though. They should have already issued X number of shares for their current stock plan,

Random thoughts:

Is a potential extra 25K a year, to be possibly paid out worth not changing jobs in this job market? (I'm going to say probably not). If my math is right you're around 150K a year

What's the company outlook right now? Equity like this is pretty much free to the company. Low raises and bonus points to cashflow problems. Equity in a sinking ship ain't worth poo poo.

These are not even close to golden handcuffs. After taxes and waiting 4 years to vest I'm convinced you'd come out worse than if you job hopped to a better paying job.

Never count on stock options/equity in a private company to pay out. If it does, great, but never count on it (there are some exceptions to this rule). I think I cleared about 20K total all said and done as a very junior employee. It didn't come all at once though, a few K here, 7 or 8K when we sold to a private company, and maybe a few more K when the last of my shares finally vested. I was able to put a tiny downpayment on a FHA loan for my first house with my ISO money though which was nice.

Stock options are different than RSU's that most publicly traded companies give people. You'll have a strike price, lets say 10 dollars. If the company sells 2 years from now at a valuation of 8 dollars a share, guess what you get? Nothing.

If you leave in 2 years and want to exercise the shares you're vested in, you'll need to write a check to the company to exercise them. You've then tied up a bunch of money in shares that may or may not do anything and you have no control in the company and you can't easily sell.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

i am a moron posted:

Thanks for the info! One thing though - it’s definitely not IPO’ing. Goal is a private sale. Does that change anything?

I would say it makes it somewhat more likely that any preferred equity that's been issued gets paid first.

Also this:
>the SVP said he has a bunch of equity and expects it to 4x once we sell.
They're either grants or options. If they're options, the difference between your strike price (what you pay) and the private sale price (what you get) is what your profit is. This can be zero or negative (so you don't exercise). Grants will always be profitable.

This is a pretty good resource: https://www.holloway.com/g/equity-compensation

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Really appreciate all of this! My percentage math might be off. I make 200k a year and I’ve been deep into enough interview processes to know I can barely beat my comp package anywhere else and no one has cheaper/better health insurance or will let me take 38 days off (how much I took last year). They’re golden handcuffs for me essentially even if it isn’t, like, amazing in the grand scheme of equity stuff going on out there.

Edit: I’m always looking too, your advice is really great for really determining what this would be worth to me

KS posted:

I would say it makes it somewhat more likely that any preferred equity that's been issued gets paid first.

Also this:
>the SVP said he has a bunch of equity and expects it to 4x once we sell.
They're either grants or options. If they're options, the difference between your strike price (what you pay) and the private sale price (what you get) is what your profit is. This can be zero or negative (so you don't exercise). Grants will always be profitable.

This is a pretty good resource: https://www.holloway.com/g/equity-compensation

I’m being granted 3000 shares. Thanks for the link!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Security teams are the worst. The industry consistently keeps throwing up meaningless barriers to entry like a CISSP cert and scoffing at people that have real world experience, its so frustrating.

I was actually having this debate with my boss last week. My stance is that even entry level SOC work is not a first IT job. You need people with some experience before they jump into security. They can come from a networking, sysadmin, software development, whatever background, but they need IT experience.

He said that if that was the case security would always struggle to hire, and that there should be a lane for entry level people. My counter was that security pays more for a reason, and its because we should assume some level of knowledge.

I dont know whose right, thought it was an interesting debate at least.

Old dinosaurs have done their best to gatekeep infosec positions the hardest out of any of our other disciplines. Its been this way for 30 years. Its a good ol boys club for most orgs and its rather disgusting.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

You might almost say it’s sickening

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I've had a lot of people I know who wanted to Work From Home ask me "how do i get into CyberSecurity???" with no experience, because they see it as a top job on blogs. I tell them they're qualified to work at my org because it feels like none of our Security people have experience.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

i am a moron posted:

Really appreciate all of this! My percentage math might be off. I make 200k a year and I’ve been deep into enough interview processes to know I can barely beat my comp package anywhere else and no one has cheaper/better health insurance or will let me take 38 days off (how much I took last year). They’re golden handcuffs for me essentially even if it isn’t, like, amazing in the grand scheme of equity stuff going on out there.

Edit: I’m always looking too, your advice is really great for really determining what this would be worth to me

I’m being granted 3000 shares. Thanks for the link!

Well your situation is different than mine was for sure. My first set of options (back in 2004) had a strike price of 23 cents.

It seems like you're in a pretty solid situation, and at 3000 shares being worth 100K or so, seems like the company is doing pretty well.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The company I work for used to have an ESOP before we got bought a few years back. I wasn't counting on it being worth anything, but when we sold a few years back I got just over $300k, which was nice.

Now, being an ESOP, I had to roll that into an IRA to avoid a bunch of penalties, but by the time I retire, I should be pretty well set.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Some of you have pretty terrible security teams but don't tar us all with the same brush :(

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CLAM DOWN posted:

Some of you have pretty terrible security teams but don't tar us all with the same brush :(

Honestly, Security isn't even the worst thing I've interacted with on a daily basis. Over the past twenty years, I've worked with less than a dozen project managers who weren't actively worse that having no project manager at all.

But there are still a lot of bad security teams out there. Still kinda want to transition over for the low standards and high compensation.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well I can tell you that actually good security teams do not have low standards. If you go in with that approach you won't get hired at good places.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CLAM DOWN posted:

My only interaction with the $lastJob security team was getting approval from them to install Vim on my Windows desktop. I later bribed a desktop support worker with Mt.Dew and Snickers into giving me local admin when he set up my new laptop.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I love all the security teams I’ve worked with. Absolutely legendary at taking the poo poo from devs and the business they used to aim elsewhere. At places where the cloud is novel they’ve been great to work with and try to get up to speed on their new security nightmare as quickly as possible. Also great to partner with when you gotta convince developers of something. Wouldn’t want the stress though

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Hey IT thread, I don't work in IT please don't bully me.

I work in operations. I started a second remote job recently so I have two work laptops. I have a Samsung ultrawide monitor from like 2015. I think I need or should have a KVM set up. I'm allowed to order WFH equipment at my new job through SHI but there are so many choices I figured I'd search the forums for KVM and ask whatever thread seemed smartest.

I think something under $200 for the switch would be reasonable and I'm also looking for a wireless keyboard & mouse for around or under $100. The laptops are an HP Probook and a ThinkPad if it makes a difference.

There's over 2,000 pages here, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

kntfkr posted:

I work in operations. I started a second remote job recently so I have two work laptops. I have a Samsung ultrawide monitor from like 2015. I think I need or should have a KVM set up. I'm allowed to order WFH equipment at my new job through SHI but there are so many choices I figured I'd search the forums for KVM and ask whatever thread seemed smartest.

I think something under $200 for the switch would be reasonable and I'm also looking for a wireless keyboard & mouse for around or under $100. The laptops are an HP Probook and a ThinkPad if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

I just saw a video yesterday of someone who set up a PC and Mac on an ultrawide and used a piece of software called Synergy. The monitor had a input mode to use both computers and the software would let you "hop" between the two screens using one set of equipment.

Could something like that work for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tFcdIz7-fs

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

kntfkr posted:

Thanks!

Does your first job know you have the second job? Just curious!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Last year my job made us do furlough days due to COVID. Well they figured out they didn't actually save all that much money, so they gave us a "bonus" which was really our furlough pay back. idk why they couldn't have just said "here's your furlough pay back" instead of jazzing it up like we got some incredible bonus or something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vargatron posted:

Last year my job made us do furlough days due to COVID. Well they figured out they didn't actually save all that much money, so they gave us a "bonus" which was really our furlough pay back. idk why they couldn't have just said "here's your furlough pay back" instead of jazzing it up like we got some incredible bonus or something.

You were furloughed to meet executive bonuses. Turns out, they didn't need it to meet bonuses and felt rare human emotion. Probably won't happen again.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KillHour posted:

While I agree with your boss that there should be more entry level options than helldesk, in the security world, that would roughly equate to running reports and checking the phishing alerts inbox.

Yea, but I don't see the career progression unless you where really self motivated to learn stuff or had co-workers invested in you being educated. Without a base level of IT education in the fundamentals of...well everything you're effective a mechanical turk pressing buttons and giving the reports to whoever with no understanding of what you're looking at.

We currently have an intern who is in their last semester of a cybersec degree and dude has a fair knowledge of security terms, but didn't know basic fundamentals of modern networking or hardware. Dude just didn't know enough about anything to be of any help beyond making basic "don't open strangers emails" presentations. Then we spent three weeks teaching them the difference between public/private IP, what common services actually do, basic hardware networking, and now we have someone who can at least parse some of the alerts on the IDS. If dude got their degree and then went into the job field and tried going for an actual entry level security job I'm not sure what use they'd be to anyone?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 14, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Been at the new place a little over a year now. Just got my first merit increase and bonus, for the first time in my career it was actually worth a drat. Feels nice to be appreciated.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well I can tell you that actually good security teams do not have low standards. If you go in with that approach you won't get hired at good places.

Yea, my previous statement was unnecessarily mean.

I think I'm really just jealous of folks who are double-dipping for boat money.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

alg posted:

I've had a lot of people I know who wanted to Work From Home ask me "how do i get into CyberSecurity???" with no experience, because they see it as a top job on blogs. I tell them they're qualified to work at my org because it feels like none of our Security people have experience.

Sounds about right.

I don't think the field is bad, per se, it's just the amount of for-profit schools offering the 'degrees'

:smug: The REAL DOODZ that are decompiling malware and analyzing viruses are the real 'cybersecurity'

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, but I don't see the career progression unless you where really self motivated to learn stuff or had co-workers invested in you being educated. Without a base level of IT education in the fundamentals of...well everything you're effective a mechanical turk pressing buttons and giving the reports to whoever with no understanding of what you're looking at.

We currently have an intern who is in their last semester of a cybersec degree and dude has a fair knowledge of security terms, but didn't know basic fundamentals of modern networking or hardware. Dude just didn't know enough about anything to be of any help beyond making basic "don't open strangers emails" presentations. Then we spent three weeks teaching them the difference between public/private IP, what common services actually do, basic hardware networking, and now we have someone who can at least parse some of the alerts on the IDS. If dude got their degree and then went into the job field and tried going for an actual entry level security job I'm not sure what use they'd be to anyone?

This is the problem with all FNGs and it really comes down to the company giving them appropriate opportunities to learn about those disciplines. We all learned that poo poo the hard way and unfortunately, it's the only way. IT departments need to be better about cross-functional training instead of expecting people to job hop to get those skills if they want any chance of retaining talent.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Has anyone used the Windows NFS client and managed to get decent performance out of it? If so, how the gently caress did you manage that? SMB is 8x faster over a 10 GbE link in my testing. My Linux clients are getting ~85% link speed from the same NFS server.

I've spent a good amount of time looking for performance tuning tips or basic issues I've overlooked but haven't made any progress.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Inner Light posted:

Does your first job know you have the second job? Just curious!

No, but the second job knows about the first job. It's only for 20 hrs a week so it's probably hard to fill that spot. First job is way less hours than 40 but I am salary.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

cage-free egghead posted:

I just saw a video yesterday of someone who set up a PC and Mac on an ultrawide and used a piece of software called Synergy. The monitor had a input mode to use both computers and the software would let you "hop" between the two screens using one set of equipment.

This is really cool but I'm not able to install software on one of the laptops without an admin remoting in so I'm aiming for a simple hardware solution to toggle between the machines.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The only other person who sits in my end of the office resigned so now I can play my music as loudly as I like.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

wear headphones you monster

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
My boss hates our security team because he says they don't do anything they always say "they just advise"

A new guy joined their team and got assigned to my project, he is really keen and has contributed some helpful ideas.

The real test will be when I ask him to go through the risk assessment thing we have with the technical guy but so far he seems reasonable

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Mega Milton energy

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Internet Explorer posted:

wear headphones you monster

There's no one here!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

cage-free egghead posted:

I use synergy between my work mac and my personal pc. It's seamless, really sick. Totally worth 30 bucks (I got it reimbursed tho lol)

As for monitor switchers, you could get a full fledged KVM if you wanted like one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Extended-CKL-Microphone-Keyboard-CKL-922HUA/dp/B07KN4J2XD

At the moment though, I use this USB 3.0 switch for my audio routing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6GD9JO

It works really well and has 4 USB ports if you wanted to also slam your MKB in there.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 15, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

There's no one here!

Buy a bigger set of computer speakers

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And stick them to your head.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Get a subwoofer