Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

St0rmD posted:

I thought in Aviendha's future-vision, they were publicly known to be the Dragon's children. Granted, her future-vision is apparently hypothetical, so idkwtf.

She had two future visions. I don't think the first one, when she goes through the rings in Rhuidien, has anything about her kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hexel posted:

I was always a little mystified by Jordans mythology and the whole business about the DO being sealed away at the moment of creation.

Is there some kind of creation checkbox to tick off where a creator is required to create their nemesis :psyduck:

It's in all of them because an adversary explains death and everything terrible in life.

I do like Rand's thoughts about the Creator being a gardener who grows fruit then leaves them be.

And I guess their inevitable rotting is just a metaphor for the Dark One.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

CainFortea posted:

She had two future visions. I don't think the first one, when she goes through the rings in Rhuidien, has anything about her kids.

We were never privy to what she saw in the ring ter'angreal, only to what she saw when she went through the glass columns in Towers of Midnight, in which she clearly lived as both her daughter and granddaughter, who were clearly known as the children of the Dragon.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

My man got some powerful Dragon seed to be spawning twins and quadruplets with a couple nuts :toot:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

that's not true!!!

it's also power fantasy of unleashing fully sick magic storms on beastmen

It's also a humiliation fantasy, the constant spanking, switching and birchings or threats to, is seriously wearying. Jordan should have tried writing with both hands. Its really not bdsm, as that has to be consensual, few times in the books is it so.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

St0rmD posted:

We were never privy to what she saw in the ring ter'angreal, only to what she saw when she went through the glass columns in Towers of Midnight, in which she clearly lived as both her daughter and granddaughter, who were clearly known as the children of the Dragon.

Right. But given her reaction to the vision she had in the columns about her kids is what makes me think she didn't see anything about them in the rings.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

jng2058 posted:

Ah, got it, no interest in actual discussion. Your way or the highway. Cool, cool. Thanks for the head's up. Ignore it is!

LOL sounds like you're the one who doesn't want to discuss, but OK sure.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Shageletic posted:

It's in all of them because an adversary explains death and everything terrible in life.

I do like Rand's thoughts about the Creator being a gardener who grows fruit then leaves them be.

And I guess their inevitable rotting is just a metaphor for the Dark One.

And as Rand realizes, the absence of the DO would make it so that “good” would be weird and meaningless

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

goethe.cx posted:

And as Rand realizes, the absence of the DO would make it so that “good” would be weird and meaningless

Or to put it another way,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INm-Uvfp4Do

You need stuff that sucks to have stuff that's cool.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s gonna suck rear end when they rewrite the ending to have Rand super saiyan the DO instead of philosophizing with him for the show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

goethe.cx posted:

That was always kind of a weird part to the ending. Like, even if he could destroy the DO that doesn't mean that bad things won't happen, or that people won't be assholes. It just means that they will do so because of their own natures and not because of a metaphysical entity that exists out of space and time.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s gonna suck rear end when they rewrite the ending to have Rand super saiyan the DO instead of philosophizing with him for the show.

they altered book 1 to make him beat ishamael by rejecting a too perfect future and got rid of him going SSJ so following the ending would be a very fitting callback

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CainFortea posted:

That was always kind of a weird part to the ending. Like, even if he could destroy the DO that doesn't mean that bad things won't happen, or that people won't be assholes. It just means that they will do so because of their own natures and not because of a metaphysical entity that exists out of space and time.

I read it as saying that destroying the DO would in fact remove people's ability to be evil. Everyone would be "good" because they have no other choice. It's like the solution that some theologians have come up with to reconcile God being omnibenevolent with people still doing evil--remove free will and you devalue the good that people do.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think that's likely to happen.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
He'll ask the Dark One to join the polycule.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, if anything the show has leaned more heavily into philosophy early on than the books did with most of what we've heard from Darkfriends being an echo of Ishamael/Moridin's philosophy instead of pure greed and the battle at the eye becoming a pretty blatant temptation instead of Rand going super saiyan with the Power.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

I read it as saying that destroying the DO would in fact remove people's ability to be evil. Everyone would be "good" because they have no other choice. It's like the solution that some theologians have come up with to reconcile God being omnibenevolent with people still doing evil--remove free will and you devalue the good that people do.

The dark one is a shadow cast by the existence of free will. It's all for the world of no evil because that means it wins.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

NinjaDebugger posted:

The dark one is a shadow cast by the existence of free will. It's all for the world of no evil because that means it wins.

Yep, pretty much. Although free will is kind of murky in Randland because of ta'veren and such

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The DO will be personified as a young girl like in The Last Temptation of Christ

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

Yep, pretty much. Although free will is kind of murky in Randland because of ta'veren and such

Free will in the pattern is the difference between book Rand whining for half the series about not wanting to be the dragon and show Rand just going "yup, I'm the dragon" after a flashback sequence.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t get the sense anyone but Aes Sedai even know what the dragon is in the show.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don’t get the sense anyone but Aes Sedai even know what the dragon is in the show.

Thom sang a whole song about him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mat makes a joke about the dragon having wings.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

they knew enough about the Dragon for Logaine to declare himself the Dragon and have an army of followers

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CainFortea posted:

Mat makes a joke about the dragon having wings.

Which does undercut one of the funnier things in the book where no one really knows what the hell the Dragon is beyond a title and think the stylized lizard banner Rand finds is kinda weird.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The impression I got from the show is that the Dragon has the same reputation and legacy that he does in the books, but none of it got brought up because it would screw up the "Who is it?!" mystery.

For one thing, Rand has to know something of the Dragon if the Black Wind can use it as part of his deepest fears.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

I always assumed they were conceived post-body swap based on Min's viewings that they were Rand's children but strange and uh clearly did not look like him.

Like we know they all know he's alive at the end of the series and the ending pretty clearly implies he's going to keep meeting up with them in the future. I do wonder if he ends up ever telling his kids who he is or if he's just their mother's reclusive boyfriend forever.

It's unclear, but one of Aviendha's sons, Alarch has dark hair and it's said that he takes after his father.

Rand very explicitly doesn't have dark hair anywhere in his family line as deep as we know but Moridin obviously does. So I think Avi's kids and conceived after the body swap.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
do we have actual ahem hard numbers on the frequency of spankings? I honestly never thought twice about any of that stuff until people brought it up over and over and over and over and over

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Brolander posted:

do we have actual ahem hard numbers on the frequency of spankings? I honestly never thought twice about any of that stuff until people brought it up over and over and over and over and over

It would be fuzzy anyway, since it gets referenced and threatened a lot more than it actually happens on the page, and it's not keyword-based like the various repetitive phrases. It's just that corporal punishment is a thing all over in the setting but the Aes Sedai and Aiel particularly love the hell out of it and a lot of plots happen among and around both.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Aiel don't particularly love it. It's seen as a not particularly good way to meet one's toh. Even when Egwene has them strap her for lying she does it because it's the fastest way.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I feel like it's always supposed to be child's punishment, for a person who cannot be reasoned with like an adult. "Go cut me a switch" etc

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Emond's Field likes to do it too. A misbehaving child? Hauled before the Women's Circle and switched

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That's largely the case when it is used on Semirhage, and there's a heavy element of that in the White Tower's punishments for Novices.

That doesn't mean that "you hosed up, now you get a beating" isn't a standard idea in the setting. As it was for much of the real world until (in historical terms) extremely recently. Many countries in what we now call "the developed world" freely used such punishments as part of their legal system until the middle of the last century.

It has a childish connotation because the use of (far less severe) corporal punishment toward children has continued much longer than that used against adults, and has a fetish-y connotation because even that usage is dwindling rapidly, leaving kink and fetish stuff the most likely place a modern (in a developed country) is going to encounter it.

At the time Jordan began the series, a huge majority of his audience would be familiar with the idea of childhood spankings even if they didn't experience themselves. Hell, at the time he began the series, it was still common enough that school safety classes would have phrases like "this is beyond any reasonable punishment" in regards to physical abuse.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Jordan also went to the Citadel, which might have been an influence here

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

yeah gotta say there was no point in the series where I thought wow this author is getting off on corporal punishment. mostly it fades out or it just talks about how much it hurts, it’s definitely how he thought about discipline but idk. I definitely DID get that sense from terry goodkind

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Brolander posted:

I feel like it's always supposed to be child's punishment, for a person who cannot be reasoned with like an adult. "Go cut me a switch" etc

So what you're saying is they use it exactly how everyone else does. Frequent, heavy handed, and with plenty of "why did you have to be such a child as to drive me to this?"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i still don't know how i didn't recognise ishamael the first time i watched it

hardly surprising he went full nihilist and wants to break the pattern after being forced to kill dogs while dying of radiation poisoning

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Did any of the Wheel of Time companion books ever estimate the populations of Seanchan or Shara? How can the Corenne afford to send all these tradesfolk to Ebou Dar and Tanchico without their economy collapsing? Or maybe their land weathered the breaking better than Randland and their society is more advanced and flourishing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Gnoman posted:

The impression I got from the show is that the Dragon has the same reputation and legacy that he does in the books, but none of it got brought up because it would screw up the "Who is it?!" mystery.

For one thing, Rand has to know something of the Dragon if the Black Wind can use it as part of his deepest fears.

When Moiraine tells the EF 4 that one of them is the Dragon in the pilot, though they're stunned by the implication, none of them take even a second to figure out what she means. It's pretty clear that everybody knows the legend of the dragon. What isn't known to anyone, Aes Sedai or not, is the details. In the same way that the books make a lot of hay around the fact that the prophecies can be translated many different ways to end up with all kinds of specific predictions of varying accuracy, the show is building the same ambiguity around the idea that while everyone knows the prophecy generally, nobody knows what exactly the specifics are.