Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Conspiratiorist posted:

What response?

More arms being sent to Ukraine and all of Europe accelerating their plans to divest from Russian oil imports. I guess I could be buying the hype and Majorian is right, everyone will have forgotten about this six months from now. I wouldn't be very happy if one of my neighbors decided to make a habit of relocating a ton of their armed forces to my borders every year. It's not something you can allow yourself to become complacent with. Who knows though. Maybe this is just the new normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Chomskyite racism

What is this referring to

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I agree with you but there's one thing: just their threats, which to make no mistake these are huge threats, is resulting in and going to result in pretty heavy consequences for them. So they not only have the cost of this massive movement but also they'll be dealing with the blowback from this for quite some time. It could be argued that Putin didn't expect the response they've been getting so far from this and maybe will now try to back down while losing a minimal amount of face, but the problem with that is this bluff was one hell of a bluff if so. It's hard to believe that Putin *wouldn't* expect there to be a huge response to this. Just by getting to where we are now has been reckless and self-defeating. This is what I keep coming back to when I tell myself surely an invasion would be a colossal mistake. He could have kept eastern Ukraine destabilized just fine with a fraction of what he now has sitting on the border. If that was his goal then why did he go and screw the pooch like this?

To be totally clear if you pressed me on it I'd still say an invasion is unlikely, but after thinking on it I think the odds are quite higher than we would have thought a year ago. Maybe 2% before and 20% now, to pull totally arbitrary number out of my rear end

Yeah, I largely agree - I'd put my likelihood of invasion number a bit lower than you do, but otherwise I think your analysis is on-point. I think Putin didn't expect what was originally just another round of annual saber-rattling on the border with Ukraine to garner this insane level of attention from the international media. He felt he had to keep amassing more and more troops and hardware to make the most of the opportunity, and now he's holding out for some good concessions so he can declare victory and bring the boys back home. I think even if Putin doesn't manage to wring anything out of Ukraine or the West over the next couple weeks, he'll still be able to cut bait and save face. He's made it clear that Ukraine's probably never going to get to join NATO or the EU, and the Russian media will spin the whole affair as their country showing that it can stand toe-to-toe with the U.S. again. Whether or not that second point is strictly true is beside the point.

Flavahbeast posted:

If he quietly winds down the mobilization I don't think he'll suffer too many external consequences from this other than every Ukrainian soldier in Donbass dual wielding javelins. He can even quip a few zingers at all the international hysteria triggered by a few ~exercises~

Yeah, exactly. "Look at these weak Europeans making GBS threads their diapers over us just conducting some exercises!" is the sort of headline that the Russian press loves. (paraphrasing, of course)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 15, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

PIZZA.BAT posted:

More arms being sent to Ukraine and all of Europe accelerating their plans to divest from Russian oil imports. I guess I could be buying the hype and Majorian is right, everyone will have forgotten about this six months from now. I wouldn't be very happy if one of my neighbors decided to make a habit of relocating a ton of their armed forces to my borders every year. It's not something you can allow yourself to become complacent with. Who knows though. Maybe this is just the new normal

Other than token shows of support and loving BoJo double swearing they'll enter a mutual defense pact with Ukraine, Russia's force concentration has not initiated or accelerated any meaningful geopol moves. Maybe Qatar's near future status as US Major Non-NATO ally? But they were already hosting CENTCOM so this could just be shaking off the embarrassment that was allowing the Saudi blockade during Trump.

On the contrary, what I'm not seeing is serious proposals for comprehensive, unified sanctions that the West has had 3 months to draft. It's been nothing but hot air so far.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Conspiratiorist posted:

Other than token shows of support and loving BoJo double swearing they'll enter a mutual defense pact with Ukraine, Russia's force concentration has not initiated or accelerated any meaningful geopol moves. Maybe Qatar's near future status as US Major Non-NATO ally? But they were already hosting CENTCOM so this could just be shaking off the embarrassment that was allowing the Saudi blockade during Trump.

On the contrary, what I'm not seeing is serious proposals for comprehensive, unified sanctions that the West has had 3 months to draft. It's been nothing but hot air so far.

Yeah fair enough. The actual response to this is what will dictate the calculus moving forwards. I still think divestment on oil imports is the most likely outcome, but that involves long term infrastructure projects so we potentially won't know the actual fallout for years.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 15, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Majorian posted:

I think Putin didn't expect what was originally just another round of annual saber-rattling on the border with Ukraine to garner this insane level of attention from the international media.

Annual round?

The force buildup reached peak 2014-2015 levels... in April.

RusMil starts moving tons of poo poo in October. No open mass troop movements at this point, mostly equipment.

Early November Belarus and Russia sign a ton of integration deals involving Military C&C, economics, and migratory policy.

At this point it becomes obvious that something strange is going on, as the primary fighting elements for the Russian military, already in their operating theatres, begin movements under opsec into and around the border regions with Ukraine. The CIA Director visits Russia to speak with Putin specifically about Ukrainian troop build ups.

A week later snap exercises and formation drills begin in the Western and Southern Military Districts, and soon after theater-level assets are spotted being pushed to the front, indicating multi-division escalation, while reserve vehicles are pulled out of central reserve unit depots. This latter part is something that never happens for exercises, as it's a huge logistical strain and you'd only do it if you expect to lose tons of vehicles or are snap forming new units.

This is now mid-November, and international media finally notices as a vast mobilization of material from all military districts begins to make its way on rail towards the Ukrainian border alongside rumors of personnel activations, and then the Belarusian and Black Sea exercises are announced as if to explain them away.

So I don't believe this was some kind of annual thing that got out of hand. RusMil spent months moving equipment for something big before the media noticed, and this is in the context of Russia shuttling currency into their foreign monetary reserves for the better part of the past 3 years, which is now at an all-time high despite the pandemic.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 15, 2022

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah fair enough. The actual response to this is what will dictate the calculus moving forwards. I still think divestment on oil imports is the most likely outcome, but that involves long term infrastructure projects so we potentially won't know the actual fallout for years.

They can't do poo poo is the thing. Russia exports equivalent of US on petroleum + petroleum product exports. US supplies all of Latin America with the majority of their road fuels. Even Brazil imports more than 25% of their fuels despite massive ethanol and biodiesel uptick and large refining network. Imagine zeroing out all of that oil supply -- what happens? It's gigantic. It would throw world into a global recession near overnight, particularly hurting all of Europe. US could divert their minimal import flows of russian diesel and buy more Saudi crude and fuel oil, but Europe is absolutely screwed, especially central Europe as they really rely on Druzbha pipeline to move Russian Ural crude into their refineries.

So what realistically can they sanction energy related? Well, if they sanction nord stream 2, it just makes natural gas forever expensive and similarly ruins global economy. If they sanction russian ammonia and Belarusian potash, we get more expensive food because crop yields collapse. I could go down the list-- each and every one Europe and greater world loses big time. Sanctions WILL backfire.

It does not help that this is one of tightest commodity markets in last 15 years. Can you meaningfully cut their arctic exploration or whatever Obama did back in 2014 -- sure but it doesn't matter.

Russia is too big to sanction meaningfully. It is entirely optics that anyone can sanction them and/or will it meaningfully influence their decision making

Brogeoisie fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 15, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's not inaccurate but I assure you the sanctions against Russia are going to hurt them a hell of a lot more than what the can do to Europe and the United States. Granted, pain will be felt on both sides.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The ban on arming them ended half a decade ago unless there was a second go of it. Seems weird of someone who posts about this nonstop every day not to know that.

The ban seems to have been properly enacted in 2018 and stayed in place since.
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/380483-congress-bans-arms-to-controversial-ukrainian-militia-linked-to-neo-nazis

You might be thinking of the time in 2016 when the appropriate amendment wasn't included in the spending bill.
https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/congress-has-removed-a-ban-on-funding-neo-nazis-from-its-year-end-spending-bill/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

That's why you dont't sanction industries or SWIFT; you sanction individuals, their families, and assets.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Unsurprisingly the petro state will suffer less oil shortages than the rest of the world. Alas oil isnt everything

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1493381856393375745

It's the little things.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They often don't use them even at actual parades.
https://www.autonews.ru/news/5eeb689e9a79474019944841

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is there like an official money for repairing roads after tank parades gently caress them up, budget?

I'm sort of expecting the answer is no. :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

The ban on arming them ended half a decade ago unless there was a second go of it. Seems weird of someone who posts about this nonstop every day not to know that.

The ban was lifted in 2015, and reinstated in 2018.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/380483-congress-bans-arms-to-controversial-ukrainian-militia-linked-to-neo-nazis

Majorian posted:

I'll take your word for it - I definitely believe that the polling is not clear-cut anywhere in a country as big as Ukraine (although I'll read what you had to say if you'd like to dig it up - I'm always interested in learning something new). But my point is less that polling affects present-day defenses and more that broad popular resistance to being occupied by Russia would probably lead to (well-funded, well-armed) uprisings, necessitating a costly, bloody counterinsurgency campaign by Russia. As the U.S. learned the hard way in Iraq, insurgencies can make rebuilding the economies and infrastructures of recently-conquered regions all the more difficult. My overarching thesis here is that Russia's already going to take a big economic hit if it invades, to the point where it would probably impact how well they can conduct a campaign of conquest and occupation. It's high risk, with no guaranteed reward.

We’re in full agreement here, that thewould-be occupation force would have major insurgency concerns in pretty much anywhere - especially in the major cities of Ukraine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I was gonna say earlier today, taking Kiev and occupying all of Ukraine would be utter lunacy. Which isn't to say it's impossible, major global powers have made comparably stupid decisions within my lifetime. But 'invasion' (which isn't guaranteed either but worries me) and 'conquest of the country' are not the same thing.

An occupation force in the bits already controlled by pro-Russian militias would, presumably, face MUCH fewer insurgency issues.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if only because the pro-Russian militias have already... handled any local-minority insurgency issues over the last 6-8 years

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

An occupation force in the bits already controlled by pro-Russian militias would, presumably, face MUCH fewer insurgency issues.

Considering that everyone important in those “militias” is a Russian soldiers, PMC, or intelligence asset, I’m not sure that’s a useful distinction.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Majorian posted:

although I'll read what you had to say if you'd like to dig it up

I'll quote a post slightly preceding my conversation with Koos, and then link our conversation underneath the quote.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't dispute that report, but please don't link 100-page PDFs with no further specifiers and expect people to talk to you about it.

For context for everyone else, page 18. A 2011 poll, in Russian

"Optimal status for Crimea?" 41% autonomous part of Russia
"Hypothetical joining Russia referendum?" 65.6% Yes

2008 poll in English (hot on heels of Russia-Georgia war)
https://web.archive.org/web/20140317075919/http://www.razumkov.org.ua/eng/files/category_journal/NSD104_eng_2.pdf

Opinions of Crimeans regarding the desired future for their
region are rather controversial and unsteady, which makes them
vulnerable to internal and external influences. For instance, the
majority of Crimeans would like Crimea to secede from Ukraine and
join Russia (63.8%), and at the same time – to preserve its current
status, but with expanded powers and rights (53.8%). More than a
third (35.1%) would like it to become a Russian national autonomy
as a part of Ukraine; also more than a third (34.5%) – to secede from
Ukraine and become an independent state

2011 poll in Ukrainian, page 27
https://razumkov.org.ua/upload/Prz_Krym_2011_Yakymenko.pdf
Crimean polling for "join Russia" option is shown to drop fro 32.3% in 2009 to 24.4% in 2011.
This poll is run by the same people as the one above with 63.8% in 2008.

2014 poll in English
http://www.kiis.com.ua/?lang=eng&cat=reports&id=236&page=1
This one is noteworthy for polling in Crimea literally a few days before things escalated.
Crimean polling for "join Russia" option is shown to increase from 35.9% in 2013 to 41% in 2014

Obviously, this was domestically loaded question and polls are absolutely not prescriptive, and it's likewise easy to find stuff that will show lower and higher numbers than those (some Russian-organised polls trend higher, some Western-organised polls trend lower). Anecdotally, I don't recall any polls that would show >50% Crimean support for joining Russia between the 2012 parliament elections and the 2014 annexation of Crimea. After the annexation sure, there's dozens of polls with North Korea elections-tier 103.75% support for Russia.

Chaser link:
May 7, 2014 (freshly post-annexation) report from Putin administration's human rights council, in Russian (a cool read in general, if you read Russian or can stomach Google Translate)
http://web.archive.org/web/20140427...teley_kryma.php

My translation of the relevant bit:
According to the opinion of almost all polled experts and citizens:
- Majority of Sevastopol residents voted to join Russia (50-80% turnout), and in Crimea varying sources indicated 50-60% vote in support of joing Russia, with total turnout of 30-50%;
- Inhabitants of Crimea were voting not quite for joining Russia, but for a ceasement of, in their own words, "oppressive corruption and thievery freely carried out by lawless Donetsk henchmen". Sevastopol's inhabitants, on the other hand, were voting specifically to join Russia. Fear of illegal armed groups was greater in Sevastopol than elsewhere in Ukraine.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=440#post521319953
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=440#post521320386
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521322984
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521325205
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521326184
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521328273
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765883&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=441#post521328315

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Given the reporting of the Putin-Lavrov meeting yesterday it seems like the off-ramp option they are going for to protect Putin is "I was totally going to do it, but then Lavrov talked me down".

But the framing was very much 'gosh it looks like war is inevitable unless there are last second concessions'.

E: looks like today is the day of truth then: https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1493502755440570370?t=HxzzCUwq221UgTecRgddHA&s=19

Either demobilisation will look real or it won't.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 15, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Usually, the minister gets to be the idiot when this trope plays out, but I guess Lavrov is a bit too expensive for that. At the same time, this could also be going the other way - "well, we really tried, even benevolently stepping moving on from their obstinacy, but the situation could have not been helped".

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Considering the Russian MoD lies about everything and anything I'd wait for third party confirmation before believing anything they say.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Given the reporting of the Putin-Lavrov meeting yesterday it seems like the off-ramp option they are going for to protect Putin is "I was totally going to do it, but then Lavrov talked me down".

But the framing was very much 'gosh it looks like war is inevitable unless there are last second concessions'.

E: looks like today is the day of truth then: https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1493502755440570370?t=HxzzCUwq221UgTecRgddHA&s=19

another nothingburger

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Maybe they just forgot something at the base?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

GABA ghoul posted:

Maybe they just forgot something at the base?

Like rubber parade treads

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Well, that makes it seem much less likely that anything of substance will happen now, which is great. I wasn't super psyched to have rationed heating in my apartment for the next two winters, plus whatever other Russian and Belorussian exports being axed would affect. I guess only Putin and maybe a handful of other people know if it was really just an exercise and Western hysteria, or if it was a potentially bigger move.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Majorian posted:

Yeah, exactly. "Look at these weak Europeans making GBS threads their diapers over us just conducting some exercises!" is the sort of headline that the Russian press loves. (paraphrasing, of course)

Sure but the reaction in the West is not just about Russian military maneuvers on the border. Russia issued a list of demands and stated negotiations had to be concluded swiftly while massing unprecedented troop numbers on their border. How exactly are people supposed to interpret it? Russia can spin it any way they want for domestic purposes but if this isn't designed as a threat then what is? Russia issued a threat as explicit as it can be without saying it out loud and it was taken seriously as it should be.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Now I'd like to see how much this stupid loving flex costed (in addition to another kick in ruble's balls)

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This is the 'lol, made you form up a defense fleet' puppetmaster reasoning from Eve Online.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

CeeJee posted:

This is the 'lol, made you form up a defense fleet' puppetmaster reasoning from Eve Online.

It's just a prank, bro!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Spending a few billion dollars and tanking your stockmarket 10% to own the libs

e: yeah as I said, by the end of today we will know if this is actually happening. Also the real question is not what the West or South Districts are doing, but what happens to all the Eastern District kit and personnel.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 15, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m inclined to agree with BM. Let’s wait for clean satellite photos before celebrating.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They pulled similar stunts in Crimea. Yeah, totally pulling back our "peacekeepers", what are you even worrying about hysterical westerners :smuggo: *leave unmarked special forces behind, organizes fake referendum and annex everything*

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m inclined to agree with BM. Let’s wait for clean satellite photos before celebrating.

I want to believe, hopefully it's not the set up for a false flag.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1493534030943375362?t=5Vn0Vd_cGPTP_VFSLfJu4Q&s=19

Once Putin signs it, Russian troops in Donbas could operate openly and act as tripwire forces there indefinitely

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1493534030943375362?t=5Vn0Vd_cGPTP_VFSLfJu4Q&s=19

Once Putin signs it, Russian troops in Donbas could operate openly and act as tripwire forces there indefinitely

Yeah I'd definitely wait for the dust to settle on this before celebrating anything. That was kind of the whole reason these "exercises" were much more intense.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

GABA ghoul posted:

Didn't one of the doom and gloom tweets predict this? Or was this vote publically known?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Trump posted:

Didn't one of the doom and gloom tweets predict this? Or was this vote publically known?

It was known for a couple of days that there'd be a vote this week (don't remember if it was supposed to be today specifically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Trump posted:

Yes, it was set to voting few days ago

In a funny turn of events this one was proposed by non-dominant party - CPRF; it is extremely inflammatory worded BUT obviously United Russia cant allow to vote against recognizing DNR (dont want to be seen as traitors or weaklings)... so they proposed another appeal, that sends the final decision to be DISCUSSED with Foreign Ministry (and, presumably, to be set on hold eternally).
So there are going to be two unanimously approved conflicting Appeals.

Clown show

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 15, 2022