Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Christmas gifts from my wife:

I've read this! It's fun.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
drat, what a haul!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Rascar Capac posted:

I've read this! It's fun.

Here is my Roadhouse story:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The winter of 2009/2010 was the most lonely and difficult of my life. I was so broke that I had to choose between drinking, eating, or taking the bus somewhere with the little money I had set aside each day.

I'd taken a crappy old TV, VCR, and a VHS copy of the 1989 Patrick Swayze classic Roadhouse from the donation box for teen moms, as they were going to be thrown away since no one else wanted them, so I just layed in my apartment all winter, cold because I couldn't afford to turn on the heat, drinking myself into oblivion with the cheapest possible malt liquor and watching Roadhouse over and over again. Thank God that's such an entertaining fuckin' movie, because it kept me going when I wanted to die, and had no desire to carry on with my lovely life.

LOL!!!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I wonder how many of those "passwords that often work" still work well. I'm guessing a fair number of them, because people who use "password" and crap haven't changed much.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I wonder how many of those "passwords that often work" still work well. I'm guessing a fair number of them, because people who use "password" and crap haven't changed much.

Everyone knows the four most common passwords are love, sex, secret, and God!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Stopping a nuclear war would be the first bullet point on my list.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Ernest was pretty hot in his day

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Ernest Goes to Camp is one of my most cherished childhood films.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Szyznyk posted:

Ernest Goes to Camp is one of my most cherished childhood films.

Mine too. I saw it a bunch of times at the theater with dollar matinees. I loving loved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_8j3MwfZo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Did some research and as near as I can tell this is real. Guy has managed to legally source some skin from old medical cadavers and is binding old books in the tanned skin. I knew this occasionally happened a long time ago but not that anybody was doing it in modern times.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

”People leather”

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

This seems relevant to the thread: A Search Engine That Finds You Weird Old Books

A variety of pre-1927 books using the Google Books database. A search of my username came up with a life of General Pershing donated to the Princeton library by someone who graduated there in 1895. Neat!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My numbered edition of Blood Meridian from Suntup finally made it. What a gorgeous book. Was hesitant at first about the binding style but it's great looking in person.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wa27 posted:

Everyone knows the four most common passwords are love, sex, secret, and God!

I was telling someone in the office the other day that if you need to hack a technical person's account, try Star Wars references. Then from behind a cubicle wall I heard, "I'm changing my password right now."

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

I spotted this in one of the local thrift stores and had this instant sense of recognition. I'm pretty sure I saw ads for this book in the backs of supermarket tabloids and/or cheap magazines back in the '80s - if you turned to the last pages there would always be hundreds of tiny, smeary black-and-white ads for all kinds of suspicious and unpleasant stuff. Like this book!

It's a fun read, if almost hilariously dated. (Never play cards with WIMMIN!)

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
OMG volume 2 just came! First edition small press Delany. I know they're recent books but I don't care. This is $200 well spent:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Excellent book btw. The back copy is pretty wild but the authors actually do an incredible job navigating all the weirdos into cattle mutilation in the 70s/80s.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

How have I never heard of that book?!

I wanna read it.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Gutter Phoenix posted:

How have I never heard of that book?!

I wanna read it.

It's awesome and iirc almost 400 pages long. Really dense and educational, some wild scammers on the scene back then

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Happy Valentine's Day thread

~please enjoy this extra repeat attachment that I don't know how to delete~ :ninja:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Jerrold Coe fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 16, 2022

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Here's a fun old genre: knockoff Forteana! Two authors named Steiger and Smith churned out a bunch of these 1966-1972, copying stories from earlier writers like Charles Fort (duh), Frank Edwards, and Ivan Sanderson. Illustrator unknown. Some of the pictures aren't even on the right books! I think Steiger and Smith must have had a shared slush pile that they'd pull stories from and have illustrations done for the flashier ones, and occasionally mixed things up in editing.

The Witch Queen of Hell looks like a real nice lady :kiddo:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I love the "not now, thanks" gesture the would-be victim of the child-witch is making.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Drimble Wedge posted:

I love the "not now, thanks" gesture the would-be victim of the child-witch is making.

"Talk to the hand, chile"

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

"The midnight visitor's FUCKIN DEAD!"

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
A cool trippy cover for a not-cool trashy book:

Just going to c/p my review I wrote: https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2022/02/the-occult-in-orient-by-christopher-dane.html

Mystery man Christopher Dane takes us to the other side on the other side of the world for a sinister survey of THE OCCULT IN THE ORIENT! Nice to see a fresh face around here ... or so you would believe! Things are never what they seem in the world of the paranormal paperbacks however, and author "Christopher Dane" is none other than bad old Brad Steiger, moonlighting under yet another pseudonym. This particular title is Steiger's store brand version of John Keel's influential occult travelogue Jadoo and Dane must have been Steiger's more upmarket moniker, because Popular Library spared no expense with this volume, shelling out for some cool cover art and even a table of contents - that's almost unheard of for them!

A colonial haze hangs over the stories, whether we're talking phantom hitchhikers in Okinawa or a drawn out death curse afflicting an American consul's house servant in Jakarta. That servant, Djam Hari, draws the ire of a rival when he attains the rank of "Number One Boy" in US Vice Consul Robert Pierson's household. You see, Steiger informs us that "an Indonesian's position on this ladder [of servant rank] decreed the degree of respect accorded to him from his people." Djam Hari is a grown man, by the way, but Pierson and Steiger still refer to him as "boy" throughout. This casual infantilization casts a sickly pallor over the rest of the book, especially since the story drags on far too long before we get the expected ending. It's pure page padding and an especially bad sign of things to come since we're only three chapters in!

Moving on, we start to recognize Steiger's formula as he staggers quick hits (like a "Negrito ghost child" whose disembodied voice calls to the living) between longer chapters, mostly pulled from his prior books or summarized from Fate magazine stories. Thankfully none end up as overlong as Djam Hari's tale, and Steiger is good enough to credit the original Fate writers when necessary. He gives a decent overview of the New Guinea UFO flap of 1959, when multiple Anglican missionaries and their local flocks reported seeing low flying spacecraft crewed by mysterious beings. This flap is sometimes named "the Gill Sightings" after one of the missionaries, Father William Gill. Another Fate summary follows with the very British sounding Arthur Grimble (of Her Majesty's Colonial Service) witnessing a death curse he christens as "Raku-nene madness," where the spirit of Raku-nene is called forth by a spurned man to possess the woman he desires and drive her to madness and death. The original story Steiger cites by writer E.P. Herman can be downloaded at the Luminist Archives, as part of the September 1953 issue of Fate.

Three Argentine Navy cadets have a scare when Deception Island vanishes from sight, leaving them adrift in a dingy on the open ocean! This is from another Fate article, written by one of the cadets, Carlo Bel Moro. Steiger mines the Flying Saucer Review for some UFOs over Hawaii, and then recaps Mary Margaret Fuller's piece on Balinese cremation rituals, which can also be downloaded from the Luminist Archives as part of Fate's August 1954 issue. The ghost of an executed French soldier haunts some Americans at Tan Son Nhut Air Base, having been "decapitated like a common criminal" by the cruel communists after they overran his position. Steiger laments the "fierce, though vain struggle" by the brave Frenchman, another example of the upside down moral logic of colonialism. This chapter ends with a cornball joke about the Frenchman being able to look for his own head after death because he was a radar officer.

The ruins of Nan Madol give Steiger a chance to mention Lemuria as well as American atomic testing at nearby Enewetak Atoll, another clash between the modern space age and a mythical golden age. Steiger mines the August 1954 issue of Fate again for missionary May Elliot's experience in Tahiti with a spirit named Uratua. Strange lights in the South Pacific skies include a report by the crew of the Morgantown Victory in 1966 and a 1774 sighting off New Caledonia by the naturalist Johann Forster, recorded in a diary of Captain James Cook's second voyage. Steiger calls this "Captain Cook's sighting" though he's not named as seeing anything. That's typical ballyhoo by Steiger, and it's followed by a repeat of the invisible biting bug eyed monster of Manila, a Steiger staple through the years. The hoaxed Monongahela sea serpent report is also here, again, having just been seen in Weird Unsolved Mysteries by Steiger writing as Eric Norman. Burton Klein, an American GI in Vietnam, saves his wife Janice from a car accident 9,000 miles away with an ESP message. Another GI, WWII veteran A.R. Thompson, relates his story from the May 1955 issue of Fate about a disembodied voice that has saved him from plane crashes and car accidents.

And now Steiger really starts to recycle, with four straight chapters of Max Freedom Long and his manufactured Huna magic! It's a good chunk of pure nonsense padding. After this, another headless ghost visits soldier Lawrence Stevens in Seoul and performs a gruesome show, holding up his own head and saying "I'll sure be glad when these three months are up!" Later Stevens realizes that the ghost predicted the end of the Korean War! Steiger stretches the definition of "the Orient" when he profiles Komar the Hindu Fakir, whose real name was Vernon Craig and who hailed from Ohio, USA. Komar performed feats of endurance in character, and there's a brief but touching post at the Magician's Forum by someone who remembers him. Steiger and Komar would later coauthor a book, seen below:

The occidental fascination with Eastern thought continues with Steiger's next subject, the Master Subramuniya, who was born Robert Hansen in California before a religious experience at the age of 6 inspired him to walk the path of enlightenment. After reaching Sannyasa in Sri Lanka, Subramuniya eventually opened an ashram in Hawaii, where Steiger catches up with him. Steiger doesn't spill much ink over the guru, just noting that he disapproves of drug use and and is happy to see more young people meditating. Disappointing that this intriguing man doesn't deserve more than a quick filler chapter, while Max Freedom Long gets five whole chapters to to peddle his fraudulent "Huna" magic. You can tell that Steiger is just looking to fill pages now. Author and photographer Wilmon Menard stars in another long story of murder and magic in Tahiti which is padded with pulp fiction prose by Steiger.

Did I say five chapters of Huna bull? Yes I did, because Steiger now slips in "Huna Healing Techniques" as if realizing he still has some content to fill before the end. And after this is another telepathic warning, saving soldier John E. Rebel Thomas from death at Guadalcanal. American missionary and CIA operative Harold M. Young relays a grisly account of jungle werewolves in the hill country of Thailand, and like Edward Lansdale's faked vampire attacks in the Philippines the story reveals more about the casual sociopathy of imperialism than about primitive monsters or native superstition. Young describes shooting a Taw werewolf and tracking the blood trail to a hut. Inside that hut is a dead man with a bullet wound, and Young's mind is boggled at the implication. We all know from the movies that dead werewolves revert to human form, so Young must have really shot a werewolf! The darkness inside modern "civilized" man is laundered through purported barbarity and illogic in the "savage" Third World.

True to form, Steiger reused the story of the Taw multiple times. Turning and turning in the widening gyre ...

Popular Library, 1974.

really fascinates me digging in and seeing how the sausage was made for these old paranormal books, Steiger clearly had a system to collect/collate stories and then filter them into book titles. sorry for the triple post!

Dr. Jerrold Coe fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 3, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Made it less than 10 years :(

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
2001? You are in for one hefty fine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just like the title:

"Four times in castle* - four times in parliament"

Politics used to be "interesting".

*) Prison (1904 for inciting draft strikes, 1909 for ridiculing sacrament, 1913-1914 for majesty crime [lèse-majesté], and in 1918 for being a leftist during a civil war)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 4, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I really like the hard case imprint. Classic crime books presented really well.