Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

codo27 posted:

Probably less a right/wrong thing, but more preference. I assume you aren't asking how. Rtings might have some suggested levels for your set

They said it’s a preference for mine. I just decided to set it as low as I could without seeming too dim to me but wondered if there was a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

SeANMcBAY posted:

They said it’s a preference for mine. I just decided to set it as low as I could without seeming too dim to me but wondered if there was a better way.
If you have an Xbox one or newer, there's a TV calibration option in it that seems to be good enough for a quick "Try this" if you want some guide.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I did it in two steps: first I turned up the backlighting a lot then changed the picture brightness settings so black in a movie matched letterbox black, then I turned the backlight level down to the point I liked it. That was SDR though, I kind of let it do its thing for HDR with minor tweaks.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

tehinternet posted:

There’s no reason to get an 8K TV in 2022. Say it with me, buddy. There’s no reason to get an 8K in 2022.

Thank you, I was thinking this but part of my brain went into misguided future-proofing thoughts.

Incessant Excess posted:

LG C1 is the best gaming TV you can get right now.

LG C1 looks like it sits low. Are there some good low profile soundbar options or should I just elevate the screen higher? I'm not in a place where I can wall mount.

Also in regards to soundbar, does LG C1 play nice with other brands or am I going to be forced into an LG soundbar?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Slig posted:

Thank you, I was thinking this but part of my brain went into misguided future-proofing thoughts.

LG C1 looks like it sits low. Are there some good low profile soundbar options or should I just elevate the screen higher? I'm not in a place where I can wall mount.

Also in regards to soundbar, does LG C1 play nice with other brands or am I going to be forced into an LG soundbar?

The mount on the C1 is on the lower third of the TV, it is *not* in the middle of the TV as it is on lots of other models. The VESA mount points are also in a rectangular configuration, like 200x400 (it’s wider than it is long)

I don’t have a sound bar so can’t help you there, but the TV will sit higher versus a center mounted TV if that helps. You’ve got to raise the TV higher to reach the lower VESA mount.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Slig posted:

The better soundbars are are going to be too tall without elevating the screen. The C2 has a narrower stand which should make it easier to put it on top of something, but lack of soundbar compatibility is the main reason I’m getting an A80k instead.

It’ll work just fine with any brand of sound bar though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone have any tips or guidelines to setting backlight levels on a LED?

I leave my backlight on full, and then adjust the brightness and contrast instead using a test pattern.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
The only tv/soundbar pairings from same maker (i think) that work better together are samsung and sony. They can turn tv into center channel.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

MikusR posted:

The only tv/soundbar pairings from same maker (i think) that work better together are samsung and sony. They can turn tv into center channel.

And evidently Samsung is the only one who’s implementing it well. Although the A80k will have a dedicated center channel actuator instead of just L/R, so maybe that’ll improve the TV’s performance as a center.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Slig posted:

I use a Sony soundbar with my C1, and it works with no issues at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently my tv (Hisense R6090G) doesn’t flicker when the backlight is at 100%. Should that influence what level of backlight I keep it at? I’m not sensitive to flicker but does it matter for games?

Obviously I don’t completely understand how this all works.:blush:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 11, 2022

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
I had to turn down the backlight on my Hisense because on very white screens it felt like getting punched in the eyeballs. I think we went from 60% to 40%, but we mostly watch at night in a dark-ish room

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Slig posted:

Even LG's own SP11RA sound bar is too tall for the LG C1.. It's just a smidge but it's like a wedge in my eyeball that I can't unsee. A very thin piece of wood shoved under the C1 would fix the issue

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Snackmar posted:

Even LG's own SP11RA sound bar is too tall for the LG C1.. It's just a smidge but it's like a wedge in my eyeball that I can't unsee. A very thin piece of wood shoved under the C1 would fix the issue

Always wall mount if you can because the poo poo looks good (and keeps poo poo out of reach of kids if you have them or have family that brings them over) and running into issues like the above is annoying as gently caress

It is nowhere near as difficult as you think, even with metal studs. Same with patching holes in walls.

Put hole in wall/studs

Cut hole to run cables in top and bottom

Screw mount into wall

Mount TV, plug poo poo in

Done

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Coming up on 4000 hours on my 55" CX, and so far I notice no burn-in or uniformity issues, and if there's any brightness reduction, it's imperceptible. However, games represent only about 5% of that time, and I also make frequent use of the Dark Room setting and power saving modes.
The only problem I've run across was the appearance of horizontal streaks, which I quickly traced to cleaning the screen while the quick pixel refresher was still running. Either the pressure on the surface or the capacitance of the damp microfiber seems to interfere with the process, so wait at least 20 minutes before cleaning. Thankfully the full pixel refresh cleared it right up, and haven't encountered any ill effects from running it a couple times more than needed.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Man I wish the C2 was out already. I want to play Horizon and Elden Ring on an OLED.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Does anyone here use the TVs own speakers as the center channel in a surround sound setup?

If so, is there any specific feature that the TV needs to make this happen or is it entirely based on the receiver's capabilities?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HONKER24 posted:

Does anyone here use the TVs own speakers as the center channel in a surround sound setup?

If so, is there any specific feature that the TV needs to make this happen or is it entirely based on the receiver's capabilities?
It's only certain TVs. I personally wouldn't recommend this, as when you use a center channel it's the most important speaker in the system and should be the most capable one. You'd probably get better sound out of stereo speakers flanking the screen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's usually a feature when you're All In to one manufacturer (i.e. Sony or LG). Like the Ht-A9 communicates with a Sony TV to provide that functionality.

Pretty much everyone says it's not worth it. For the reasons stated by the poster above.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

That's usually a feature when you're All In to one manufacturer (i.e. Sony or LG). Like the Ht-A9 communicates with a Sony TV to provide that functionality.

Pretty much everyone says it's not worth it. For the reasons stated by the poster above.

Seems to be Sony and Samsung only. LG does not.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

MikusR posted:

Seems to be Sony and Samsung only. LG does not.

LG Sound Sync exist, but I don't know if it is the center channel only: https://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1437136020872

I was playing around with it with my G1 setup, I'm likely going to just need a new Soundbar as the one I have was a kinda cheap Vizio which doesn't even have ARC. But it did allow optical + TV Speakers to work together. The question becomes if it was well and no idea, the volume being different between the two made stuff weird. Would need to have some things to test it out fully.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do OLEDs run cooler than LED tvs? My old TCL 4 series would heat my bedroom up quite a bit, enough to be a bit of a problem in the summer.

I’m considering getting the C2 in the summer since they’re doing a 42 inch one.

Edit: Come to think of it, it could actually be my soundbar/subwoofer set up that’s heating up the room.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 15, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They're warm-ish and you might feel something if you were like an inch away.

Buy, uh, I don't think a 4 series TCL would be producing plasma-TV levels of heat. That sounds like something else is the culprit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FilthyImp posted:

They're warm-ish and you might feel something if you were like an inch away.

Buy, uh, I don't think a 4 series TCL would be producing plasma-TV levels of heat. That sounds like something else is the culprit.

Yeah I’m starting to think it’s the sound bar perhaps. It’s an older Samsung HW-KM45.

Or it’s just good old fashion poor ventilation.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 15, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like a soundbar also shouldn't generate that kinda heat, unless you are in some kinda NY closet apartment or something

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

I feel like a soundbar also shouldn't generate that kinda heat, unless you are in some kinda NY closet apartment or something

100w tv 100w soundbar 100w subwoofer and you got a heater going

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

MikusR posted:

100w tv 100w soundbar 100w subwoofer and you got a heater going

Baby you got a heater(stew)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wish more sites would talk about heat distribution for these kinda reasons.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Does Best Buy price match Costco or no because they are a "club"?

Bedroom TV is dying which likely means living room TV is getting the taks of replacing it... Which means I need a new living room TV.

Hello 77" OLED.

Anything noteworthy good or bad about the CX?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Krime posted:

Bedroom TV is dying which likely means living room TV is getting the taks of replacing it... Which means I need a new living room TV.

Hello 77" OLED.

Anything noteworthy good or bad about the CX?

I would think you'd be getting a C1. If you game and have a high-end console, the C1 is the best choice because the A80J lacks a few features that may or may not get patched in eventually, namely 4k@120Hz disabling auto low-latency mode and Dolby Vision in the Sony and also causing some issues with Atmos. The C1 also has more HDMI 2.1 ports (though both have four HDMI ports total). If you don't game and don't need more HDMI 2.1 ports, the Sony probably offers a better picture. The Sony is usually a few hundred bucks more expensive, but when I looked at Best Buy a few days ago both were the same.

So figure out your intended use first, then think about what inputs you need, then check the costs if the C1 isn't already the clear choice.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I would think you'd be getting a C1. If you game and have a high-end console, the C1 is the best choice because the A80J lacks a few features that may or may not get patched in eventually, namely 4k@120Hz disabling auto low-latency mode and Dolby Vision in the Sony and also causing some issues with Atmos. The C1 also has more HDMI 2.1 ports (though both have four HDMI ports total). If you don't game and don't need more HDMI 2.1 ports, the Sony probably offers a better picture. The Sony is usually a few hundred bucks more expensive, but when I looked at Best Buy a few days ago both were the same.

So figure out your intended use first, then think about what inputs you need, then check the costs if the C1 isn't already the clear choice.

Thanks. Just the info I'm looking for.

It will be used with a PS5

Edit: Just realized I meant C1 vs G1.

Krime fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 19, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krime posted:

They generally won’t but it’s at the description of the store manager. If there’s still enough profit they may do it.

If not it may still be worth signing up for a membership for the extra warranty on the TV.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Already have a Costco membership and a completely empty BB credit line for 24 months...

Would love a BB price match

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

If not it may still be worth signing up for a membership for the extra warranty on the TV.

Please dont buy your tv/warranty anywhere but Costco. What is the purpose of existing in this capitalist wasteland without that sweet membership anyway?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Krime posted:

Thanks. Just the info I'm looking for.

It will be used with a PS5

Edit: Just realized I meant C1 vs G1.

G1 is brighter but unless you reeeaaallllllyyy want that sleek flush-with-the-wall look the price difference is pretty high IIRC. You could wait for the C2 and get the brighter panel for less of a price hit, but you'll definitely pay a lot more than you would if you just got a C1 and if you can somewhat control the ambient light in your room it won't be nearly as big a deal.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

tetrapyloctomy posted:

G1 is brighter but unless you reeeaaallllllyyy want that sleek flush-with-the-wall look the price difference is pretty high IIRC. You could wait for the C2 and get the brighter panel for less of a price hit, but you'll definitely pay a lot more than you would if you just got a C1 and if you can somewhat control the ambient light in your room it won't be nearly as big a deal.

It would be replacing a 65" B8 so no worries

Figure that's what the markup was for on the G1

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
Looking for a cheap guest room TV. Somewhere around 32-40 inches for casual movie/TV watching during friends and family down time. I’m guessing HiSense is probably the way to go for decent quality with built in smart features on the cheaper end of things?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

puppy party posted:

Looking for a cheap guest room TV. Somewhere around 32-40 inches for casual movie/TV watching during friends and family down time. I’m guessing HiSense is probably the way to go for decent quality with built in smart features on the cheaper end of things?

At that size, yeah just get a HiSense or whatever. We have a 32" Hisense but... fair warning... most TVs at this size kinda suck no matter the brand. Like... the picture is dogshit. But fine for a guest room!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The worst thing with poo poo TVs is remotes/buttons. My parents have a 40" westinghouse in their bedroom and changing the input on it with the buttons on the TV is loving insane. And good luck getting a universal remote to work halfway decent with cheap rear end RCA TVs. Hateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
C1 is the goto choice for PS5/XSX gaming correct?