Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

veni veni veni posted:

I know you were trying to compliment it, but saying carrion looks like a new grounds game seems pretty insulting lol. Imo it actually has a pretty badass pixel art style.

I mean, it's a solid pixel art style, but the over-the-top gibs definitely gave it that kind of a feel. The art itself is really well done, but it's a little...extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

AA is for Quitters posted:

If anyone loves good movement in games, I tried Carrion cause it looked cool, and well, that is another game that just feels good to play. plot and style wise it plays like something from Newgrounds circa 2006, (you play as a blob thing that kills and eats its way through a science facility), but the movement is just super tight and feels good to play. Its a perfect gamepass game cause it's not super long, but it just plays beautifully. It's a great 2-3 hours of your time, and it's about the same size as a newgrounds game, so its easy to fit on your console and takes like, minutes to download even on my slow rear end connection.

I like it but I'm stuck about 80% of the way thru and don't know what I'm missing to proceed. It is fun though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1493540851611484164

another L :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Warhammer 3 is pretty dang good for a day 1 release.

The rest lol

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Super Mega Baseball was a pretty fun RBI Baseball style game, I'll spend a few hours with the 3rd one.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Barudak posted:

Warhammer 3 is pretty dang good for a day 1 release.

The rest lol

Will it rotate out? It's good but also I've bought it on steam because it won't work with my current content, which I think diminishes it. I'm sure some people that haven't played the current ones will buy it and DLC on Xbox now tho.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I like and finish most ubi games, including watch dogs 1 and 2, but couldn't stand more than about two hours of legion.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JBP posted:

Will it rotate out? It's good but also I've bought it on steam because it won't work with my current content, which I think diminishes it. I'm sure some people that haven't played the current ones will buy it and DLC on Xbox now tho.
It's a third-party game so it'll definitely rotate out of Game Pass at some point, but it'll probably be a good way to play until Mortal Empires is patched in and justifies a Steam purchase.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

They made a big deal about how you could recruit nearly everybody in Watch Dogs 3 and how different characters had different skills. But every character was pretty allround at things and some skills definitely stood out. So you quickly found a favorite and stuck to that character.

So the system that was touted as defining the game was a dud. You pretty much had to handicap yourself by constantly recruiting and switching characters to get some mileage out of it.

My problem was I used the characters more or less interchangeably so I never felt a connection with my character’s story which limited my enjoyment of it. Plus so many levels can be cheesed by using a drone to get in another way and avoid a lot of the combat. But it’s one of the few games I’ve put in dozens of hours on and then immediately forgot about.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1493559114080919557?t=QLlHKRR9mFZhJf07f12ZHg&s=19

One of the biggest games in the world is embracing gyro controls. Xbox has to respond now or the skill gap is gonna be nasty in a years time.

Kind of hope this confirms they have been working on a controller with all the good stuff.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 15, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's a point in Xboxes favor that there's no motion control dude. is there even a single game that isn't made worse by it? excluding ones actually designed around them like just dance I guess. i have Mario Odyssey on my switch and it's amazing but it's brought down so badly by it's motion controls lol. you can do basically any puzzle I've found so far with the standard face button controls but there's no alternate control method for a lot of stuff so i feel forced into it and I hate it. i think even for a really great game like that I'd rather just not bother buying anything that has motion controls lol.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 15, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

it's a point in Xboxes favor that there's no motion control dude. is there even a single game that isn't made worse by it? excluding ones actually designed around them like just dance I guess.

weak troll bait but every single shooter game is better with gyro

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Every single PS3/4 game that had gyro controls enabled by default got better by just turning them off and using analog sticks, not sure what skill gap we should be seeing in a few years :confused:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i will say the PS4 motion control keyboard thing was nice when it actually worked.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've never played with Gyro controls but I loved Metroid Prime 3 on switch, it controlled super awesome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s absolutely astounding how many dumbasses see gyro controls and think of the kinect or wii, must be olds

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Leaving gamepass soon

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The only game (aside from Wii sports) that I preferred playing with motion controller was Warhawk on the PS3.

There are probably other games that do make a good use of the controller, but I guess I never played them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s absolutely astounding how many dumbasses see gyro controls and think of the kinect or wii, must be olds

yeah it's weird that people think of the most popular platforms for motion controls ever when thinking of motion controls. you have brain damage.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I've never played a game with *good* motion controls. It always ends up with me looking all over the place when I slouch or fidget. What are some examples of it done well?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah it's weird that people think of the most popular platforms for motion controls ever when thinking of motion controls. you have brain damage.

sorry but the most popular platforms for motion control are the switch and mobile gaming

The Diddler posted:

I've never played a game with *good* motion controls. It always ends up with me looking all over the place when I slouch or fidget. What are some examples of it done well?

Nearly every fps game on switch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Leaving gamepass soon

dang.... The touhou metroid gsme is fun

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Nearly every fps game on switch
just say breath of the wild. if you haven't tried it, i can see how people would think back to the wii, but it's really normal aiming plus controller tilt for fine adjustment

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

butt dickus posted:

just say breath of the wild. if you haven't tried it, i can see how people would think back to the wii, but it's really normal aiming plus controller tilt for fine adjustment

Yeah, BOTW is the one for me. It makes me so much better at archery it's not even funny, and feels natural.

(Too bad about the few shrine puzzles with forced gyro controls. They're all annoying)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How are gyro controls used in shooters? Yes I’m an old.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

sticks for most of the aiming, gyro for fine tuning

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You use your sticks like normal and then just dial in fine adjustments. It makes aiming so much easier that I’m convinced the only people complaining about it have never used it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
the gyro controls in pokemon legends arceus are great, really gets you into trapping creatures with godlike powers and making them fight for your amusement

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a mouse and keyboard head. Anyway I hate switch games that use motion controls because I don't ever use it docked and it's insanely annoying when I shift my lap and the game thinks it was a control gesture. It doesn't happen often but when it does it makes me very mad.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm a mouse and keyboard head. Anyway I hate switch games that use motion controls because I don't ever use it docked and it's insanely annoying when I shift my lap and the game thinks it was a control gesture. It doesn't happen often but when it does it makes me very mad.

Exceptions may exist but I think every game of significance lets you disable gyro controls outright in the options. Other than actual waggle games like 1-2-Switch and Just Dance, anyway.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Gyro for fine-tuning aim in console FPSes is something I don't want to live without and I hope at the very least Microsoft makes a little thing you can plug into your Seriestroller that gives it a gyro. Got very used to it on the Switch.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Larry Parrish posted:

it's a point in Xboxes favor that there's no motion control dude. is there even a single game that isn't made worse by it? excluding ones actually designed around them like just dance I guess. i have Mario Odyssey on my switch and it's amazing but it's brought down so badly by it's motion controls lol. you can do basically any puzzle I've found so far with the standard face button controls but there's no alternate control method for a lot of stuff so i feel forced into it and I hate it. i think even for a really great game like that I'd rather just not bother buying anything that has motion controls lol.

splatoons the best shooter in the world because of gyro controls, chum

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

splatoons the best shooter in the world because of gyro controls, chum

:emptyquote:

God I can’t wait for Splatoon 3

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So the most straightforward way to get audio into the speakers at my desk is with analog line-in. I see there's HDMI on the back of the Series X and that's about it as far as outputs go. Is there a solution for getting analog stereo out of this thing that doesn't involve goofily using a seriestroller as a USB sound card?

e: getting 5head ideas like buying a supported USB headset, taking it apart, and replacing the actual headset part with a 3.5mm jack

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 15, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheScott2K posted:

So the most straightforward way to get audio into the speakers at my desk is with analog line-in. I see there's HDMI on the back of the Series X and that's about it as far as outputs go. Is there a solution for getting analog stereo out of this thing that doesn't involve goofily using a seriestroller as a USB sound card?

e: getting 5head ideas like buying a supported USB headset, taking it apart, and replacing the actual headset part with a 3.5mm jack

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-4k-and-hdr-support-black/6324750.p?skuId=6324750

you can find several out there that do 4K120 passthru

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

bushisms.txt posted:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1493559114080919557?t=QLlHKRR9mFZhJf07f12ZHg&s=19

One of the biggest games in the world is embracing gyro controls. Xbox has to respond now or the skill gap is gonna be nasty in a years time.

Kind of hope this confirms they have been working on a controller with all the good stuff.

I'm way too stuck in my ways to ever be able to use something like this effectively, that video makes it look complicated. I too am an old.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you literally just move the controller using the hands you are holding it with

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yet another thing to plug in, but that's life. Thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There was a debate about gyro aiming in the Switch thread one guy was whining and throwing a fit about in BOTW when he was trying to shoot an arrow the camera was shaking all over the place so he turned it off immediately. As soon as I verified that he didn't have Parkinson's or something I mad fun of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

you literally just move the controller using the hands you are holding it with

What if I get the shakes! My aim will be off