Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nam Taf posted:

Had my oldest ever ruler die last night.

He had whole of body, the dog walking buff, and several others I don't recall off the top of my head.

He hit infirm at something like 70 but his overall health stayed 'fine' thanks to the positive buffs. At 112 the 'you're about to die' popup appeared when he caught smallpox, only for it to disappear when he recovered from it at 113.

Naturally, you can imagine how completely and terribly everything subsequently went to poo poo.

drat, that rules. My oldest Haesteinn was 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

How are u posted:

drat, that rules. My oldest Haesteinn was 100.

I think Cannibals can live pretty long if they are able to eat a few people near the end of their natural lifespan. Just like in real life.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
An annoying bug, that I think is a bug, but I'm not sure:

Yesterday I had been using the "Commission Epic" decision and each book I got was a personal inventory item. A trinket. But TODAY, after doing it about four or five times, they're all throne room items.

ALSO: sometimes I pay for items and immediately the artisan leaves my court. If I got conned I'd like to know, because it also seems like a bug.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I don't see the "convince de jure territory" button.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Baron Porkface posted:

It's hidden unless another ruler has territory that is de jure yours. Unless it's bugged.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I triest the Piast achievement, and holy crap, I do not appreciate the Greater Poland duchy is 6 provinces. That's a lot of stewardship you need until the end of the game.

Handing out provinces in your core duchy usually means very angry vassals, but right now I have an 80% tax/levy malus, oof.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nam Taf posted:

He had whole of body, the dog walking buff, and several others I don't recall off the top of my head.

He hit infirm at something like 70 but his overall health stayed 'fine' thanks to the positive buffs. At 112 the 'you're about to die' popup appeared when he caught smallpox, only for it to disappear when he recovered from it at 113.

Naturally, you can imagine how completely and terribly everything subsequently went to poo poo.

Wow, and I was about to brag about my character lasting all the way to 87 with pretty much all the positive health traits.
Some 300 years of intense eugenics and selective breeding finally produced this perfect specimen, probable my best character ever, and I have that dynasty perk where they only get better with age. Was able to strengthen the bloodline too so I hope she will last a really long time but 118? drat dude.

Regarding the discussion about heirs loving up, another irritating thing about them is that they love to give out hooks on themselves so when you play as them this happens:

I'm forced to have this guy as my spymaster for 25 years, he started out with 5 intrigue. And since he's my spymaster he is pretty much impossible to kill. I also had a 5 steward force himself upon me but he will be dead real soon.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
new dlc coming out? ok I won't play until it's released
new dlc just came out? ok I won't play until the bugs are fixed

there's like a one month window where I can play paradox games

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
idk if it's possible to balance it but i kinda wish there would be a toggle for how devastating you'd want internal dissent to be. imo keeping a large empire together should be nearly impossible unless your ruler has got really good stats. and once your family gets really rich and famous and successful all your heirs should have a chance to turn into total wastrel pieces of poo poo who spent all day fiddling and let their empire rot and disintegrate. there was a grand strategy game that kind of modelled this with your faction getting bonuses while on the rise and gradually becoming complacent and getting bigger and bigger maluses which lead to your empire inevitably going down. i can't remember the name of the game and it wasn't very good but that mechanic was cool.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I did notice, after turning my kingdom into an elective, a decent negative modifier other candidates had on my heir calling him spoilt or something like that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I'm forced to have this guy as my spymaster for 25 years, he started out with 5 intrigue. And since he's my spymaster he is pretty much impossible to kill. I also had a 5 steward force himself upon me but he will be dead real soon.
Can't you still swap him to another council position and then put in a different spymaster?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I just had a weird thing where approx 10 counties became open to me vassalizing them . I'm not sure what happened - they were on two different sides of my country, so it can't even be the same kingdom imploding. It was about 5 initially, but as they accepted, the county behind them would be open to it too. A couple were fully duchies.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tamba posted:

Can't you still swap him to another council position and then put in a different spymaster?

Ah great idea, I will try it, thanks!

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

An annoying bug, that I think is a bug, but I'm not sure:

Yesterday I had been using the "Commission Epic" decision and each book I got was a personal inventory item. A trinket. But TODAY, after doing it about four or five times, they're all throne room items.

ALSO: sometimes I pay for items and immediately the artisan leaves my court. If I got conned I'd like to know, because it also seems like a bug.

It’s based on whether you have a royal court or not. If you have one, you get a book, if you don’t, a trinket.

I’ve been using the decision a lot, you can get some really good artifacts. They’re the best source of trinkets too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm still absolutely confused by Partition, even High Partition. I am the King of Brittany with 11 counties in my personal demesne in the European mainland, with Absolute Crown Authority. I have 6 sons, so I holy warred the Kingdom of England for land to have them settle in. Two duchies apiece for all but my second son, who I designated as my player heir through election laws for the Kingdom of Brittany and my two main duchies. By my understanding under High Partition, the player heir is guaranteed to get my highest title (Kingdom of Brittany), the capital duchy title of the realm and the capital county itself (Anjou, which drifted under Brittany de jure) at bare minimum. Instead he loving gets the three titles and a coastal county in my second duchy, period, and the first son gets everything else in the mainland on top of his new holdings in England. The gently caress is going on?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Did you give the oldest son land before the father died? If so I gets a bit weird since the AI tries to take into account what you already handed out. If not, no idea.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Nam Taf posted:

Aww. Dude needs a statue in the court. Surprised that isn't a mod yet, but I'd wager all the model modders are too busy making them shag if sims 4 is anything to go by. Couldn't fault them if they are, you could retire off one of those thirsty patreons.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

In addition to not showing up when there's no way to use it you also need a certain level of grandeur. And then it takes five years and so far it's failed three times in a row for me with a steward who has stewardship 20+. Not something I'd bother with if you still need to dev up.

PancakeTransmission posted:

I just had a weird thing where approx 10 counties became open to me vassalizing them . I'm not sure what happened - they were on two different sides of my country, so it can't even be the same kingdom imploding. It was about 5 initially, but as they accepted, the county behind them would be open to it too. A couple were fully duchies.

Do you have a diplomatic court that just hit a new grandeur level? Like I said above, that poo poo is powerful in Royal Court. Also if they converted to your religion or culture or you hit an acceptance level with them that put their opinion over the line. There are a lot of things that can cause a vasslage cascade now. It's pretty cool if you build for it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

wit posted:

Aww. Dude needs a statue in the court. Surprised that isn't a mod yet

There is an court inspiration that has a statue of the current ruler made so it shouldn’t be hard to make it less random.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm still absolutely confused by Partition, even High Partition. I am the King of Brittany with 11 counties in my personal demesne in the European mainland, with Absolute Crown Authority. I have 6 sons, so I holy warred the Kingdom of England for land to have them settle in. Two duchies apiece for all but my second son, who I designated as my player heir through election laws for the Kingdom of Brittany and my two main duchies. By my understanding under High Partition, the player heir is guaranteed to get my highest title (Kingdom of Brittany), the capital duchy title of the realm and the capital county itself (Anjou, which drifted under Brittany de jure) at bare minimum. Instead he loving gets the three titles and a coastal county in my second duchy, period, and the first son gets everything else in the mainland on top of his new holdings in England. The gently caress is going on?

I think it's because you didnt use designate heir or something.... So like, your primary title goes to your second son because of elective but your first son gets most of the stuff because he's the prime heir under your house's own succession system of high partition...? No clue if this is actually true lol

wit
Jul 26, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

There is an court inspiration that has a statue of the current ruler made so it shouldn’t be hard to make it less random.

Very cool, I haven't encountered that!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Me either, all I seem to get are weapons and tapestries.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Here's what I suspect. Your other titles (the counties, in particular) weren't elective, so they got inherited via standard birth-order. You're not allowed to hold a duke+ title without at least one county, so the second son got one, but his "unfair" receipt of the kingdom & duchy meant he already had "more than his share" when the counties got handed out, so he got a lovely one and nothing else.

Mixing inheritance types is messy for specifically this reason.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

what's a fun new place to try in the early start, I'm sick of western europe

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I got a royal court event where some vassals accused my heir (who was kind of poo poo) of being a murderer (which naturally retroactively gave him the sadistic and murderer traits). They instead proposed to have my eldest daughter be designated as heir.

How does that work exactly? Does it work like designating your heir at max crown authority, to the detriment of all other children? Or does it just disinherit your current player heir?

In the case at hand I actually had agnatic-only gavelkind and I was afraid it'd just add my daughter to the pot of people getting a chunk of land after death. I decided to just skip that and disinherit my heir manually via the dynasty option, but I'm wondering now if I missed out on having a single heir instead of having the titles spread out upon my character's death...

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
That event fired because my son was a drunkard. I didn't pour over the details but it seemed to be a free disinheirit. I didn't object as my other son was much better

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

toasterwarrior posted:

Did you designate your heir or is he set to win an election for the K of Brittany? And are the duchy titles elective? Finally did you grant of the K of England title (do not do this)?

Succession in general does not work from the bottom up (ie County-wise, which is what players mostly want since that's where the power comes from), but from the top down, starting with high level titles and working down. Counties are given out almost as an after thought. Practically speaking, if your Primary Heir receives a Kingdom title and a Duchy title, all your other heirs must receive at least three duchy titles in order for him to receive two duchy titles on top of the Kingdom. And if there aren't enough higher titles to go around, it will start giving counties away separately; while the duchy inheritor is guaranteed the duchy capital (assuming you own it) it will happily give all of the surplus counties to another heir.

Now if you're thinking "hey that sounds a lot like regular Partition, what's the difference between that and High Partition?" you are correct, and all I can say is that High Partition basically doesn't work, certainly not the way the player expects. I think what's going on is it ensures your Primary Heir receives half of your Top Level Titles, in this case Kingdoms. Once it sees that that has happens it goes back to regular Partition.

If you want a really gamey way to achieve effective Primogeniture in 867: take a Duchy or two where you own all the counties in it, slap Elective on there, and just vote for your Player Heir. They get the duchy and every county in it, and it doesn't count against their share in Partition.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 15, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tatsuta Age posted:

Southernmost tip of India, the Tamil guy. It's a really slow start because everyone is Hindu but you start with the most developed provinces in the game after Constantinople.

Dorkopotamis posted:

That is not a bug, somewhere it says that if the person you pay for the inspiration doesn't have a court position they might just up and leave. There is a button "recruit to court" in the throne room in the same dialog where you pay them for the inspiration. Give them the position of artificer to make sure they don't leave with the cash.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ah thanks, I didn’t realize that’s an option. Although that will be tough to keep up.

FYI from the 860whatever start the earliest I managed to get from tribal tech up to early medieval + Royal Perogative + 40 years to move from limited to absolute authority was 10271011 with Great Moravia. May be a little faster if you start with French, Italian, or Greek culture, but not by much (like ~10 years I reckon).

It's a lot faster if you do the later starts obviously.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 15, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Sheep posted:

FYI from the 860whatever start the earliest I managed to get from tribal tech up to early medieval + Royal Perogative + 40 years to move from limited to absolute authority was 1027 with Great Moravia. May be a little faster if you start with French, Italian, or Greek culture, but not by much (like ~10 years I reckon).

It's a lot faster if you do the later starts obviously.

Keep in mind absolute crown authority does nothing except exacerbating the claimant faction issues people have posted about.

I found that you can lower faction frequency without losing Ironman and achievements in the game rules though. Haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it is anything more than a placebo.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

MikeC posted:

Keep in mind absolute crown authority does nothing except exacerbating the claimant faction issues people have posted about.

Absolute crown authority lets you use designate heir so it is a complete game changer until you unlock primogeniture.

Edit: I'm not even having too much trouble with factions despite nearly 200 years of house seniority here. Aside from exactly one revolt about three successions after I invaded Hungary it's been smooth sailing, ironman and all. Not saying I don't have to deal with them and keep discontent under control but that's part of the game.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 15, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sheep posted:

Absolute crown authority lets you use designate heir so it is a complete game changer until you unlock primogeniture.

Edit: I'm not even having too much trouble with factions despite nearly 200 years of house seniority here. Aside from exactly one revolt about three successions after I invaded Hungary it's been smooth sailing, ironman and all. Not saying I don't have to deal with them and keep discontent under control but that's part of the game.

Absolute crown authority rocks, the possibility to select your own heir is probably the most powerful decision in the game.
And factions only seems to be a problem under large empires, are you an empire? If so maybe seniority doesn't have the same issue. In any case it is obvious that there is some kind of problem, Byzantium and Arabia are pretty much constantly in claimant wars, it really ruins the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've seen it be really inconsistent actually. Sometimes the Seljuks/Abbasids/Romans are super solid, sometimes they go through waves of faction based ruler swaps, no idea what the difference is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my experience, the Abbasid breaks more often than not. The Ummayad, even worse.

The Biz, however, will almost never break without player meddling. Is the only really solid blob, for some reason

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my experience, the Abbasid breaks more often than not. The Ummayad, even worse.

The Biz, however, will almost never break without player meddling. Is the only really solid blob, for some reason

The annoying thing about Byzantium is that it's constantly in civil wars and the like but it doesn't matter because the vassals will expand anyway and there's rarely enough in-fighting at a time to actually threaten the emperor's power.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hellioning posted:

The annoying thing about Byzantium is that it's constantly in civil wars and the like but it doesn't matter because the vassals will expand anyway and there's rarely enough in-fighting at a time to actually threaten the emperor's power.

Yeah, I do see lots of civil war going onj on it, but they will all be to put some dumbfuck or the other in the throne, so the empire wont break. The only occasion I saw it break was this game when the Basileus decided to convert to catholicism. After that, in some decades, the empire had exploded after many independence wars

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tatsuta Age posted:

Nubia is cool. Eastern Africa is a change of pace and you start with female preference succession and women knights. You also get a bit of a clean slate as you start as a young duke with no wife and kids.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hellioning posted:

In my Suleyman ibn Qatalmish run the Romans were so busy fighting amongst themselves that no vassal ever had more than 2000 troops to throw around. Emperor capped out at like 4000. Just such a shame I couldn't trade Horse Archers to various claimaints in exchange for counties :smith:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Hellioning posted:

Is this normal or new to this patch? I'm currently playing as a vassal of Byzantium and the throne is switching hands on average once per three years. It's a bitch having to continually re-ask for a council position, but isn't a huge deal besides that.

Though, with Byzantium fighting an average of four wars at any given time, I'm having to watch the bottom right like a hawk to notice if any of my territory is being fought over.

A bit frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

Absolute crown authority rocks, the possibility to select your own heir is probably the most powerful decision in the game.
And factions only seems to be a problem under large empires, are you an empire? If so maybe seniority doesn't have the same issue. In any case it is obvious that there is some kind of problem, Byzantium and Arabia are pretty much constantly in claimant wars, it really ruins the game.
Yep totally agree, absolute authority & heir designation is amazing.

House seniority tends to exacerbate faction issues in my experience since you're forever dealing with short reign duration penalties plus the malus from everyone having bad relations with your predecessor due to their own short reign, etc turtles all the way down. It's still, at worst, just "kinda challenging" to deal with and not game breaking or anything.

Anyways, I'm not saying that there aren't issues with factions but overall it's way better than it has ever been before in my opinion. In all the previous patches you could pretty safely just ignore factions, and at worst just beat them down once in a while. This is the first I've ever had to make alliances, use hooks to keep them from joining, etc., so even in its current "possibly not totally working as designed" state, I'd say it's still better than any previous patch level.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 15, 2022