Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Getting bitten by a mastiff is like frollicking through a delightful winter wonderland

When they said "They should have sent a poet" this is what they meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

From the replies:
https://twitter.com/NicholasDanfort/status/1487059897673998345?t=E-WtQ0mZcqC2qJ0UFQ_pqw&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Should've just drained the mediterranean when we had the chance and unite us with our african brothers and sisters

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mobby_6kl posted:

Should've just drained the mediterranean when we had the chance and unite us with our african brothers and sisters

Speaking of a dry Mediterranean, I just randomly saw this interesting thread the other day.

https://twitter.com/Mikeachim/status/1491080740586782720

It's worth a click, sorry I'm not really familiar with better ways to share a twitter thread.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I didn't understand until I read the comments, and I realized I haven't internalized what the Black Sea should look like

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

RoastBeef posted:

From the replies:

So that's is what they call Little Italy

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

RoastBeef posted:

From the replies:

That doesn't go far enough, imo. Try this one:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Not done until someone turns the Adriatic into an endlessly recursive series of smaller Mediterraneans.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Hygiene posted:

Speaking of a dry Mediterranean, I just randomly saw this interesting thread the other day.

It's worth a click, sorry I'm not really familiar with better ways to share a twitter thread.

its interesting stuff buy holy hell i hate that "hold on to your balls" style of tweeting. i prefer to just get a link to the wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanclean_flood

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Year that's fair, I forgot there was a link to that too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hate this person. I hate the way he writes, and I hate that he broke up a mildly interesting one-paragraph factoid into a dozen HOLY FUCKIN poo poo YOU'RE NEVER GONNA BELIEVE THIS tweets, and I hate that he put two separate advertisements for his blog into the middle of the chain, and I hate that he followed it up with a masturbatory "Wow, this is really blowing up!" post linking to even more of his lame poo poo.

Just read the wikipedia page on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messinian_salinity_crisis

e: this is not a jab at you, Captain Hygiene. It is an interesting bit of information. I just hate hate hate that this is what passes for media these days

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Captain Hygiene posted:

Year that's fair, I forgot there was a link to that too.

holy poo poo thx for the follow

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sagebrush posted:

I hate this person. I hate the way he writes, and I hate that he broke up a mildly interesting one-paragraph factoid into a dozen HOLY FUCKIN poo poo YOU'RE NEVER GONNA BELIEVE THIS tweets, and I hate that he put two separate advertisements for his blog into the middle of the chain, and I hate that he followed it up with a masturbatory "Wow, this is really blowing up!" post linking to even more of his lame poo poo.

Just read the wikipedia page on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messinian_salinity_crisis

e: this is not a jab at you, Captain Hygiene. It is an interesting bit of information. I just hate hate hate that this is what passes for media these days

This is... HARDCORE GEOLOGY :regd10::awesome: <guitar wailing ensues>

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Carthag Tuek posted:

its interesting stuff buy holy hell i hate that "hold on to your balls" style of tweeting. i prefer to just get a link to the wiki

That tweet format really is the most obnoxious way to post "hey, I just read a wiki article, and I have nothing to add to it, but I have to shill my crap anyway before I give you the link"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's really damning about that tweeting style is that

wikipedia posted:

The Zanclean flood or Zanclean deluge is a flood theorized to have refilled the Mediterranean Sea 5.33 million years ago.

Is a way better intro, and sets up a much better "what the gently caress" reaction than anything in that thread.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

this is what passes for media these days

Pop science has been delivered in an annoying way since at least Bill Nye, and I assume much further back than that. This is because those Wikipedia pages are really, really boring, and an annoying presentation method is going to get through to people better than a boring one.

Also, it's social media. Being annoying is practically the point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is a way better intro, and sets up a much better "what the gently caress" reaction than anything in that thread.

thats as much as 500 tea kettles and half your moms age. that is terrible.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Wikipedia posted:

Sea level rise in the basin may have reached rates at times greater than ten metres per day (thirty feet per day).

Imagining an entire settlement continuously relocating every few days while that one rear end in a top hat stayed behind because they're "not afraid of a little water". (I realize this event was before humans, but that was still the image that came to mind).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

Pop science has been delivered in an annoying way since at least Bill Nye, and I assume much further back than that. This is because those Wikipedia pages are really, really boring, and an annoying presentation method is going to get through to people better than a boring one.

Also, it's social media. Being annoying is practically the point.

don't you dare compare Bill Nye to twitter clickbait horseshit

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

jjack229 posted:

Imagining an entire settlement continuously relocating every few days while that one rear end in a top hat stayed behind because they're "not afraid of a little water". (I realize this event was before humans, but that was still the image that came to mind).

'That other tribe offended god and must be eliminated'

'It didn't work so obviously we need to sacrifice more people'

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Messinian salinity crisis is bonkers from start to finish. It's estimated that due to adiabatic processes from the katabatic winds blowing into the basin, temperatures in the Eastern Mediterranean would reach about 80 ºC/190 ºF.

And then once the sea refilled, the rivers feeding into the basin probably flooded into large estuaries as far as hundreds of miles inland. Even today, the Nile is incredibly wide and navigable all the way to the first cataract at Aswan.

TinTower has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Feb 11, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Solid chance we can see something similar on a smaller scale in 100 years when the Floridian dike network fails due to Florida.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TinTower posted:

It's estimated that due to adiabatic processes from the katabatic winds blowing into the basin, temperatures in the Eastern Mediterranean would reach about 80 ºC/190 ºF.

:stare:
That's nuts, but yeah, I guess there's an awful long way down for the air to go when a sea just dries up.

Also Wikipedia says that it's likely to reoccur in the near future in geological time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Outrail posted:

Solid chance we can see something similar on a smaller scale in 100 years when the Floridian dike network fails due to Florida.

i guess a crustacean might see it, sure

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

i guess a crustacean might see it, sure

:smugdog:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

thats as much as 500 tea kettles and half your moms age. that is terrible.

Oh god I hate comparisons like that. There are signs for washing machine powder round me that say "If the entire UK switched to cold-washes we could save as much emissions as removing all the cars in [this city]"

Which tells me nothing. It's comparing one unknowable thing to another unknowable thing, albeit one that feels kind of large (but isn't). It's infuriating.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Then again the assumption there'll be life in the oceans around Florida is equally flawed

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh god I hate comparisons like that. There are signs for washing machine powder round me that say "If the entire UK switched to cold-washes we could save as much emissions as removing all the cars in [this city]"

Which tells me nothing. It's comparing one unknowable thing to another unknowable thing, albeit one that feels kind of large (but isn't). It's infuriating.

The trouble is that while we have standard units for area (football fields) and weight (elephants), more specific areas don't have them yet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Strom Cuzewon posted:

dont worry i looked it up

so thats 7.6 terajoules per second to boil the water in kettle hth

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TinTower posted:

The Messinian salinity crisis is bonkers from start to finish. It's estimated that due to adiabatic processes from the katabatic winds blowing into the basin, temperatures in the Eastern Mediterranean would reach about 80 ºC/190 ºF.

And then once the sea refilled, the rivers feeding into the basin probably flooded into large estuaries as far as hundreds of miles inland. Even today, the Nile is incredibly wide and navigable all the way to the first cataract at Aswan.

Speaking of those rivers, the while the Mediterranean was an endorheic basin, the Nile carved something akin to the Grand Canyon.

It was buried under miles of mud when the basin filled and the gradient of the river suddenly decreased.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/GraphCrimes/status/1492603728184188928

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Western countries good, eastern countries bad.

Wait

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Outrail posted:

Western countries good, eastern countries bad.

Wait

Actually makes perfect sense

(there's a hidden Nazi base underneath Antarctica)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tom Bombadil is no centrist, he transcends 2-dimensional attempts to map morality

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I tried to make it so he just sort of blotted out the whole axis and whistled merrily while doing it

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Tom Bombadil is no centrist, he transcends 2-dimensional attempts to map morality

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I tried to make it so he just sort of blotted out the whole axis and whistled merrily while doing it
Ah I get it now
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow