Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Narcissus1916 posted:

The developer said that a future patch will add in an easier (and harder, if you hate yourself) difficulty option

Harder because I love myself and I love this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The most frustrating thing about this game is there not being a restart level button on the death screen. Gotta go back to the hub every single time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I used to say it was the camera but then I just stopped putting myself in corners, and now I gotta say it's the lack of a restart level button on the death screen

Personally I just rise and restart from the pause screen after

Caros
May 14, 2008

I don't think I could have scripted a better ending to this game than the one I got.

Entered the last stage at age 20, though not entirely as intended.I spent probably 20 hours getting dunked on in the first two stages, first learning the basics and mastering the parry in the slums, then realizing the parry couldn't be used on everything and having to rebuild muscle memory on stage 2 to learn how to dodge. I sort of alternated between them, trying to get two parry-score upgrades on stage one and trying to figure out how to fight Sean/not get wrecked by the special enemies on stage 2. By the time I accomplished the former, the first stage was a cakewalk at age 20, by the time I figured out the latter Sean was pretty easy. Only thing I hadn't yet puzzled out was sweeps, but my parry skills worked well enough that I could trip Sean every time he tripped me.

Museum was easy for the actual level since there are so many weapons, and since I didn't need to worry about score anymore I could use the shortcut to skip the latter half of the stage for once. Then I got wrecked in a whole new way. Trips suck, but after running away from her and watching her flail at nothing for a while the first phase patterns were easy enough to learn. Phase 2 sucked. I don't think I left the stage under 40 in about ten attempts.

So I went back, fought and spared the first two bosses. Then I decided to spare the artist and learned that I was over dodging. I dodged her whole melee combo, which was dumb since if you just block/parry through it you hurt her structure. And her lethal dash in is both easier to parry and does a ton of structure damage when parried. Couple that with getting better in the first phase and bringing a weapon to the second part, and I'm into stage 4 at 20.

The CEO is a chump, but this point. Dodge high, dodge high, dodge low, run in and crack her skull. Repeat. First phase done. I think I needed to try her about 4-5 times to get through without a death. And so I enter the last stage and just tear through them. No new enemies, max structure, max regain on dodge, max parry break, stronger weapons. I almost died once to those stupid long legged trip enemies, but I get to Yang at 20 expecting the fight of a lifetime.

He is a chump.

40ish hours of practice and what are probably the best upgrades since you can't focus hit him at all, he has nothing. His sweep is too telegraphed, his combos can't break my structure so long as I throw a dodge in here and there, and while I'm dealing him next to no damage, I am dealing him a ton of structure damage, he's in the red before I know it. Phase 2, Kung Fu Harder, He still can't manage it. If there wasn't a spare enemy mechanic in the game I think I'd have spared him out of pure contempt at this point because the dude couldn't do anything to me.

I'm not sure if he can actually kill you in stage 3. You don't have a life bar, and he broke my structure twice which feels like it should have killed me, but I powered through, broke him one last time and finished the final stage on my first attempt with no deaths.

If there is one thing this game does, it is reward mastery. On my first playthrough I just barely beat the first stage at age 69 (nice). By my last I'm able to no-death the final boss on my first time fighting him, not because my stats are higher, but because practice has taught me. Some real Karate Kid poo poo going on here, and I love it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caros posted:

Some real Karate Kid poo poo going on here, and I love it.

One of my favorite things about the game are the little conceptual things you can pick up about how to play. I thought about Karate Kid myself earlier, specifically when I started casually deflecting and parrying, and it was like when Miyagi showed Daniel that he'd actually been training the whole time. Then I thought about wax on/wax off and realized that my left hand is defense and my right hand is offense, at all times.

I think I'll go ahead and beat the game today

Caros
May 14, 2008

signalnoise posted:

One of my favorite things about the game are the little conceptual things you can pick up about how to play. I thought about Karate Kid myself earlier, specifically when I started casually deflecting and parrying, and it was like when Miyagi showed Daniel that he'd actually been training the whole time. Then I thought about wax on/wax off and realized that my left hand is defense and my right hand is offense, at all times.

I think I'll go ahead and beat the game today

Huh, neat. I hadn't noticed that.

I'm planning on trying a single play through run once I figure out how to back up my save file. And I'm definitely curious to try playing the game through on the easy difficulty just to see how much of a clown show it could be at that point.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caros posted:

Huh, neat. I hadn't noticed that.

I'm planning on trying a single play through run once I figure out how to back up my save file. And I'm definitely curious to try playing the game through on the easy difficulty just to see how much of a clown show it could be at that point.

Since you hadn't posted here before I dunno if you checked the rest of the thread either. Do check my post history in here, I've mentioned some other things that to me are still kind of mindblowing and in your hands I think if you didn't already recognize them, then you're gonna be some kind of god

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I had been wondering what the point of palm strike was until it clicked that it'll just loving LAUNCH dudes backwards into walls and poo poo which does loads of structure damage.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
The "Who are We" page of Sifu's developer, SLOCLAP is good for a Sensible Chuckle.

http://sloclap.com/en/page/studio

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

I had been wondering what the point of palm strike was until it clicked that it'll just loving LAUNCH dudes backwards into walls and poo poo which does loads of structure damage.

And if you'd been wondering what the point of directional push is, it's also the "environmental kill" button.

You know that stairwell in the first stage? If you haven't been using directional push, go up there and stun an enemy next to the center rail and use directional push to toss them over it. You can get this done real easy by tossing bottles. Good use of directional push and palm strike make the two martial artists before Fighter a cakewalk. Bring a staff, run past them up to the door, and use the enormous range of the staff's palm strike to knock them off the platform until golden brown and delicious.

For a good time, when you're in Club and that lady tells you how the fight is everything or whatever, slap her in the face and throw her off the bridge

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 15, 2022

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah the square+cross throw is probably the most powerful technique once you get the hang of it. Toss enemies at other enemies to gain space in big fights, toss enemies into walls to do more damage and break their guards, toss enemies over railings for instant kills, and get way more damage out of Eye Strike on bosses. Anytime you avoid the last hit from an enemy's combo, get in the habit of tapping them once to open them to the throw.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Well one more trip report.

Game complete at age 48 on a fresh save, ten of those lost on boss 4 of all places since I got tripped a few times and got stuck in a loop of her down attacking me. It is incredibly satisfying to trounce the poo poo out of bosses who repeatedly killed me. First yang fight being a perfect may have been a bit of a fluke since he killed me twice this time..

For anyone who has definitively beaten it, I totally suggest a no skip victory lap. The first mini-boss on Sean's stage in particular is like "Dude, you're a regular enemy now. Don't even."

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

signalnoise posted:

For a good time, when you're in Club and that lady tells you how the fight is everything or whatever, slap her in the face and throw her off the bridge

Look at this stupid thief.

https://i.imgur.com/msd0FTW.mp4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I just take the chill chat option here. No longer.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Look at this stupid thief.

lol you can do it just by holding triangle

Caros
May 14, 2008

Agnostalgia posted:

Yeah the square+cross throw is probably the most powerful technique once you get the hang of it. Toss enemies at other enemies to gain space in big fights, toss enemies into walls to do more damage and break their guards, toss enemies over railings for instant kills, and get way more damage out of Eye Strike on bosses. Anytime you avoid the last hit from an enemy's combo, get in the habit of tapping them once to open them to the throw.

I forgot this move existed for basically my entire playtime. fml.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Agnostalgia posted:

It's true folks. I feel like I unlocked a whole new part of my brain once I got the hang (and understood the value) of this move. Plus the unlockable follow-up light attack is fun to watch. Who doesn't love Consecutive Normal Punches?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

signalnoise posted:

lol you can do it just by holding triangle

My ways funnier

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Still dying more often than not because of how I can't relearn this block direction thing. Might wait to see if there is a patch, but I doubt it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Did some experimenting and dodge inputs do not care about camera or character facing, which is the mistake I was making. Guard + up is the hop, guard + any other direction is the juke, no matter what. Maybe I'll finally get it now.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tarezax posted:

Did some experimenting and dodge inputs do not care about camera or character facing, which is the mistake I was making. Guard + up is the hop, guard + any other direction is the juke, no matter what. Maybe I'll finally get it now.

Yeah this is what fucks me over, because everything else is relative.

I really don't get what people mean with enemies striking to the rythm of the music, but maybe there is something to it because the flights I have problems with pretty much always cuts out the music.

But yeah I've given up and started cheating by using cheat engine to slow down time a bit, which helps with identifying enemy attacks, but it also really highlights how much the enemies no selling stuff sucks. Because if I dodge and input the commands so that it starts executing the frame the dodge is over, I might get one non sweep attack in before they are invincible again. And parrying isn't much better. Most fights really come down to if the game let's me win or not, rather than anything I do, unless I can ambush them with some throwables. Even parry -> push -> follow up strikes gets them dodging in the middle of the combo. If they at least lost structure for it, if would be ok. But them trivially being completely invincible you kill it for me.

Also is the shove cancel skill as useless as I think? because you are still shoved the full length before you can cancel it.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

This game has been criticised for attacks not having huge tells like in that one action game franchise every hard game gets compared to but after getting used to it, I prefer how it is here. I always found it extremely annoying how in that other series an enemy would start a huge telegraphed attack animation, only to pause in the middle and to catch you when you try to dodge at what would have been the natural timing. Luckily there's none of that here, enemies attack quickly but straightforwardly for the most part. Attacks generally hit when you think they will.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

KonvexKonkav posted:

This game has been criticised for attacks not having huge tells like in that one action game franchise every hard game gets compared to but after getting used to it, I prefer how it is here. I always found it extremely annoying how in that other series an enemy would start a huge telegraphed attack animation, only to pause in the middle and to catch you when you try to dodge at what would have been the natural timing. Luckily there's none of that here, enemies attack quickly but straightforwardly for the most part. Attacks generally hit when you think they will.

Funny you say that because I felt that this game is one of the worst offenders of that. With attacks speeding up or slowing down to make the timing annoying to get.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I think the sweet spot would be reasonably quick wind up with some kind of unique audio cue. You could learn something like 'Haa!' means the high combo and 'Grrr' means the low.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
i haven't noticed attacks going in time with the music

attacks get easier and easier to predict and time the more you play and watch the animations though

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
People are having difficulty with Artist fase 1? Once you get the hang of it, it is so easy. Her attacks cover so little distance that you can just hang back until she finishes any combo and then double tap forward + heavy strike to leap in and get a couple hits.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Buschmaki posted:

yeah it rules, as people have said it's even better off ledges

Medieval Medic posted:

People are having difficulty with Artist fase 1? Once you get the hang of it, it is so easy. Her attacks cover so little distance that you can just hang back until she finishes any combo and then double tap forward + heavy strike to leap in and get a couple hits.

I just saw the end credits but if I ever give hard mode a go I will try this strat for sure

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Medieval Medic posted:

by itself this is the strategy, but sometimes you run out of space to fall back to, she corners you, and you die. Running away doesn't always work at that point either cuz some of her moves give her magic invisible rollerskates and she'll slide across the arena to slice you up

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Hel posted:

Also is the shove cancel skill as useless as I think? because you are still shoved the full length before you can cancel it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. It at least can stop you smacking into a wall sometimes, but even if you hit L1 right after being shoved you still get launched so far that you might as well just not even bother 90% of the time.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The artist phase one does just kind of feel bad to fight if your not holding a weapo, i'd much rather she attacked harder (meaning you do need to dodge or your structure gets ruined) than chip damage through blocks on all her attacks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

i haven't noticed attacks going in time with the music

attacks get easier and easier to predict and time the more you play and watch the animations though

It's not that they are in time with the music, it's 2 things

To put the "attacks in time with the music" explained a different way, enemies seem to have a script running on a loop that has attacks scheduled to run at certain times. The length of one cycle of that loop is a multiple of the measures being played, such that you could effectively write enemy attack scripts like sheet music. If they're interrupted, they'll still try to attack at the same interval if they can.

So, considering the attacks getting easier to predict and time as you see them more, they also get easier to predict if the timing itself was predictable for each hit. Although easier enemies in this game use a consistent attack speed with pretty easy timing, later ones can be tricky. If you're playing better and faster though, there is a built-in limit on how fast you can attack, and it just so happens the speed of an attack for the protag is consistent across the majority of their attacks, you can force the fight to use a consistent speed and get those parries and avoids just by trying. The game revolves around timing based on whatever bpm the music is in this game.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

getting better at this game feels really good, for me at least its a natural progression of the challenge being getting to the boss, then beating phase 1, then beating phase 2, then beating it every time but trying to get my age down

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I only just realized the room where you fight two of Sean's disciples just before Sean himself is the same room you go through earlier with the dance floor and I feel dumb about it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Medieval Medic posted:

This to me seems like cheesing the fight instead of actually getting good at it but maybe its the intended strategy, who can say.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I beat Sean at 74 lol. That isn't going to cut it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is there some trick to targeting a particular enemy? Mostly I attack the one closest but sometimes (particularly with sweeps) I end up swiping air bc she decided to target a different enemy who isn't close.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Is there some trick to targeting a particular enemy? Mostly I attack the one closest but sometimes (particularly with sweeps) I end up swiping air bc she decided to target a different enemy who isn't close.

From what I've seen, the input buffer will accept an attack input and save it to deploy as soon as the current attack is over, but the direction of the attack is determined at the time the attack comes out. If you input the attack in the buffer and then return to neutral before the attack comes out, it will use the autotarget, which I think is nice. This also allows you to toss bottles with better aim depending on if you wanna hit a specific guy or just the closest guy.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

PantsBandit posted:

The running sweep in particular seems to have weird tracking, it has carried me right past my intended target and whiffed several times (hello two guards at the very beginning of the museum)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

RichterIX posted:

The running sweep in particular seems to have weird tracking, it has carried me right past my intended target and whiffed several times (hello two guards at the very beginning of the museum)

As far as I can tell, the running attacks do not have tracking, which is actually good because it allows you to line up that shot and space it right to catch more people than you would if you aimed at one specific guy. My favorite place to use this is in the first big room of Club, running up and slapping two people silly with one slap. It's like slap bowling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

RichterIX posted:

You can't target the front guy until he finishes talking I think