Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I make low 6 figures, company car, etc. But the thing that always makes recruiters sputter is my 4 weeks of vacation.

The last one got a bit incredulous and asked how important that was to me.

1. You called me, not the other way around.
2. I'm connected 24/7 and work 60+ hours/week, (pretty normal in my field) literally the only time I can disconnect is vacation.

I really don't understand why this is always such an issue for businesses.

I once took a new job for a 20% pay bump that only gave 2 weeks, and I was so miserable I quit in 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

evilpicard posted:

I make low 6 figures, company car, etc. But the thing that always makes recruiters sputter is my 4 weeks of vacation.

The last one got a bit incredulous and asked how important that was to me.

1. You called me, not the other way around.
2. I'm connected 24/7 and work 60+ hours/week, (pretty normal in my field) literally the only time I can disconnect is vacation.

I really don't understand why this is always such an issue for businesses.

I once took a new job for a 20% pay bump that only gave 2 weeks, and I was so miserable I quit in 18 months.

Control. We are are actually mandated to take a full 5 consecutive days off every year to make sure things aren't in a place that will go to utter poo poo if we aren't there for some reason/doing bad poo poo that people wouldn't otherwise know off.

It's wonderful, we go to a lovely place up in the mountains where our cellphone service barely works and I tell my boss to send a message to my satcom messenger it is literally life or death but I only connect to the satellite twice per day so I hope they are bleeding extremely slowly.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 15, 2022

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hope the us has a similar awakening with demanding vacation time as it's currently having with pay and WFH, anything under 5 weeks is ridiculous. Seriously :psyduck: at companies offering 1 week.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Son of Rodney posted:

Hope the us has a similar awakening with demanding vacation time as it's currently having with pay and WFH, anything under 5 weeks is ridiculous. Seriously :psyduck: at companies offering 1 week.

I feel extremely lucky that while my pay isn't as high as I'd like it to be, I do get 25 vacation days a year in the US. Work just sent another survey about WFH (we're currently hybrid, but at least the team I'm on doesn't bother going in ever). I put in that I would prefer a full WFH setup and that it has done wonders for my work/life balance as well as my mental and physical health. They were extremely resistant about WFH before covid and they've let this hybrid model stay in place for like seven months now, so I'm hopeful that the results they've seen in combination to getting a new CIO means at least this much will be in place permanently.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

Set them a fixed date at which they must have provided you the means to return their property. Charge them for storage if they don't comply.

I have no idea how to contact them to do this. They're one of those big tech startups that is waaaaaaaaaaay too big for itself, no one whose contact information I have is still there. I worked for a company that they acquired and I was part of the acquisition. They never gave us any information about organizational structure or who to reach out to about what, we had no access to the company directory, etc. We were even on our own separate Slack instance lmao. Absolutely zero public contact information. I guess I could certified mail it to their HQ office but they're still not in-office there and likely never will be.

I also know they don't give a poo poo about the laptop because macbooks were being phased out and have forgotten about it, but they're the type of company I could see arbitrarily remembering it at some future date and trying to collect it in the hopes of me not having it and them being able to fine/sue me. If nothing else just because I got them in trouble for labor law violations in this state with my unpaid wages claim.

e: What I'm most mad about is how the company I originally worked for had a loving lavish sabbatical program where they paid our airfare to anywhere in the world and half of our lodging as we took up to 3 fully-paid months off. I was a little over a year away from being eligible for that when they acquired us and it was the very first benefit they axed, in fact it had already been axed when I asked about it during the meeting where they told us about the acquisition and they hated me because I ended up being "that guy" who was always asking about our benefits and sparking the conversations where they told us we were losing them :argh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 15, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Just joined because I actually like my job and workplace, but is "weeks" vacation calculated at 5 days = week? Because I get 208 hours of PTO and just a year away from 232 with unlimited just a couple of years after that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Three Olives posted:

Just joined because I actually like my job and workplace, but is "weeks" vacation calculated at 5 days = week? Because I get 208 hours of PTO and just a year away from 232 with unlimited just a couple of years after that.

Yeah, five "work weeks", so 25 days, or 200 hours*. If I stick it out until ten years, I'll get an additional 40 hours to 240!

E:

Technically, I get 20 days/160 hours, but we close down the office around Christmas (all paid), so depending on when New Years lands, we get anywhere from five to seven days as a freebie.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 15, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

Yes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not even sure how much PTO I have right now because I am poo poo at taking vacations. I know it's upward of 120 hours. I think I have even more sick time than that. And like 16 hours of "personal time," and an allotment of paid time if I volunteer somewhere.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, five "work weeks", so 25 days, or 200 hours*. If I stick it out until ten years, I'll get an additional 40 hours to 240!

E:

Technically, I get 20 days/160 hours, but we close down the office around Christmas (all paid), so depending on when New Years lands, we get anywhere from five to seven days as a freebie.

Unlimited after 7 at my company, I'm not at all bitter about my co-workers that basically make their own hours with a PTO balance of 99,99,999 hours.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

About KVM stuff, I feel like a Logitech shill, but I use a wireless keyboard and mouse from them that lets me switch between 3 devices with the push of a button. It can use their own Unifying USB dongle or connect over Bluetooth, and has worked great for switching back and forth between machines (or controlling my phone with them).

This keyboard:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k375s-multidevice-stand-combo.920-008165.html

This mouse:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/m720-triathlon.910-004790.html

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Motronic posted:

All of the KVMs under like $500 are pretty garbage. I use my monitor to switch inputs and a USB switch for the keyboard and mouse. Most USB switches are also garbage. I've had to go through a few to find the least bad. But at least they're cheap.

I get the technical reasons why these either don't exist or are $megabux, but I would seriously inconvenience an adorable puppy for a Thunderbolt 3 switcher that worked. My desktop and my work laptop fight for my monitor space, and both even have TB3.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not even sure how much PTO I have right now because I am poo poo at taking vacations. I know it's upward of 120 hours. I think I have even more sick time than that. And like 16 hours of "personal time," and an allotment of paid time if I volunteer somewhere.

Same. I don't hate my job and I never traveled that much even before covid, and most of my workdays are pretty chill in terms of actual labor performed. So every year I look up and have like 4+ weeks I need to take off before the end of the year. I need to work up a schedule and sprinkle 3 and 4 day weekends around so I don't have such a buildup every time.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

There’s one guy I know at work who wears the fact that he doesn’t use all his holiday time every year as a badge of honour.

I just don’t get it.

As a manager, I never kept track of anyone’s holiday time anyway, and if I did, my only thought if I found out that someone wasn’t taking all of it would be “what an idiot” not “look how hard-working this guy is!”

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Scientastic posted:

There’s one guy I know at work who wears the fact that he doesn’t use all his holiday time every year as a badge of honour.

I just don’t get it.

As a manager, I never kept track of anyone’s holiday time anyway, and if I did, my only thought if I found out that someone wasn’t taking all of it would be “what an idiot” not “look how hard-working this guy is!”

I'm an idiot, and stumbling my way closer and closer to burnout because it is hard for me to figure out good times to take vacation.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have no idea how to contact them to do this. They're one of those big tech startups that is waaaaaaaaaaay too big for itself, no one whose contact information I have is still there. I worked for a company that they acquired and I was part of the acquisition. They never gave us any information about organizational structure or who to reach out to about what, we had no access to the company directory, etc. We were even on our own separate Slack instance lmao. Absolutely zero public contact information. I guess I could certified mail it to their HQ office but they're still not in-office there and likely never will be.

You don't have to get the contact right, the important bit is the sending.

Send two registered letters, one to the CEO, one to the company lawyer or "legal department". Tell them you have the laptop and are charging storage.

When they come back 3 years later, you can say "as noted in my letter on the 16 Feb 2022, you will need to pay $500 storage before receiving the laptop"

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dongsturm posted:

You don't have to get the contact right, the important bit is the sending.

Send two registered letters, one to the CEO, one to the company lawyer or "legal department". Tell them you have the laptop and are charging storage.

When they come back 3 years later, you can say "as noted in my letter on the 16 Feb 2022, you will need to pay $500 storage per day before receiving the laptop"

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Unlimited after 7 at my company, I'm not at all bitter about my co-workers that basically make their own hours with a PTO balance of 99,99,999 hours.
Unlimited PTO is usually a scam. It sounds great in theory, but when researchers have looked into companies that swapped from X days per year to “unlimited”, employees inevitably took less actual days off than the former X days per year.

Your company may say you have unlimited days, but your boss still expects poo poo done so without the firm reminder of “you have 23 days built up to be used by end of the year”, most employees just don’t make time for their vacation and end up taking fewer days.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Three Olives posted:

Have I worked in just weird workplaces or is it normal for companies to celebrate Valentine's day? There were hearts and balloons everywhere, we all had valentine's day candy on our desks, we got valentines day cards from HR

I worked at a place where the c suite planned out costumes and went around the office to "pass out candy" for Halloween.

One year they did Willy Wonka and we got to hear the oompa loompa song warbling through the workspaces throughout the day

There was also a costume contest and some departments took it very seriously

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm an idiot, and stumbling my way closer and closer to burnout because it is hard for me to figure out good times to take vacation.

Your couch is a valid destination location. I usually take the Games Done Quick weeks off in January/July.

At Amazon I get basically 80 hours unpaid time off, 48 hours paid time off, and about 10 days paid vacation annually. So not great but not the worst of a little over 5 weeks off annually if I use all my time (it all rolls over if I don't). For reference I work 4-on, 3-off.

Whatever else I have to deal with at Amazon, I'm never going back to 5 day work weeks if I can avoid it.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a monthly reminder in Outlook that tells me to schedule some PTO. Would that help?

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can you do half days? Start taking half days on like Fridays.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Wednesday > Monday > Friday for days to take off.

Come in Monday after two days off, get yourself set for the week Tuesday is now a new Friday. Wednesday you get a day off to recover from two days of work, and then you're back into actual Thursday and Friday. Then boom, two weekend days.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I also know they don't give a poo poo about the laptop because macbooks were being phased out and have forgotten about it, but they're the type of company I could see arbitrarily remembering it at some future date and trying to collect it in the hopes of me not having it and them being able to fine/sue me. If nothing else just because I got them in trouble for labor law violations in this state with my unpaid wages claim.

e: What I'm most mad about is how the company I originally worked for had a loving lavish sabbatical program where they paid our airfare to anywhere in the world and half of our lodging as we took up to 3 fully-paid months off. I was a little over a year away from being eligible for that when they acquired us and it was the very first benefit they axed, in fact it had already been axed when I asked about it during the meeting where they told us about the acquisition and they hated me because I ended up being "that guy" who was always asking about our benefits and sparking the conversations where they told us we were losing them :argh:

Send an invoice for a couple hundred for ever day you have it to their financial department

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Echoing the sentiment that if you don’t know what to do with your vacation time just give yourself a bunch of 4-day weeks. Been doing that even more than usual the past few years cause, y’know, trips are a bit tricky these days.

5 weeks of PTO was a major silver lining to my previous job. One of the reasons I stuck around despite the mediocre pay. New job started with only 2 weeks, but we get the last week of the year for free because our main client completely shuts down.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Absolutely zero public contact information. I guess I could certified mail it to their HQ office but they're still not in-office there and likely never will be.

Look at the company name on your pay stub (it's probably not exactly the same as their DBA). Find the state that company is listed in. Looks up their corporate records there. They are required to have a contact address. If it's a Delaware company (it probably is) they likely don't have an actual office there, but will pay for a service where they have a Delaware address of a registered agent who will forward notices and mail to them. This is the address you send that to.

Bonus points for looking up abandoned property laws in your state and making sure you are serving them notice along those timelines, i.e. X days after receipt of this notice.

tracecomplete posted:

I get the technical reasons why these either don't exist or are $megabux, but I would seriously inconvenience an adorable puppy for a Thunderbolt 3 switcher that worked. My desktop and my work laptop fight for my monitor space, and both even have TB3.

Also on this topic because I forgot......I set up a desk in my barn that I use in the summer. The monitor out there didn't have a good way to switch inputs so I'm using one of these, which I've attached to the back of the monitor with some double sided tape and a very short HDMI cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08W988N65/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Caveat: unlike with a decent multi-input monitor which "fakes" being there to the things it's attached to regardless of what input you are viewing this is an actual switch. Which means all those windows you dragged to the big monitor will likely get slammed over on the laptop's screen when you switch away from it. It's annoying.

This is the inside USB switch I ended up with (4 port). It actually works*: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZK36RBJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the outside desk USB switch I ended up with (2 port). Same*: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TS5JNT3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

* No, you can't run your keyboard, mouse and Logitech C9xx webcam off of one USB port of your laptop. Especially if your keyboard has it's own USB switch on it and other USB devices like volume, extra buttons, etc. It's just too much power draw. I suppose you could put all of that thrugh a POWERED USB hub first, but I just decided to leave the webcam attached to my work machine since I rarely use it otherwise.

Also, these laptop stands rule for cleaning up your desk in this kind of situation. It gets them up to a normal monitor height that makes screen spanning wprk bnetter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CD8LGJ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

CarForumPoster posted:

Have you ever hired an employment plaintiffs lawyer in the US? They basically all work on contingency. A very high percentage of single plaintiff L&E lawsuits settle with some payout to the plaintiff.

So yes it takes time and energy “resources” and to give up some of the payout, but by hours spent for the average American it is much higher than their hourly rate.

The actual bill for their representation is usually 0, except maybe the $400 filing fee in some cases.

Yeah if you're in the middle class and higher with a soft hands computer toucher job this is something you can do and you'll likely be successful. If your shirts already have white collars, you're fine.

If you're a retail worker (which a receptionist at a doctor's office is considered) or gig worker this is not the case, both because of how these jobs work and also because time = money in a way where folks living on the edge of poverty can't afford to pursue these things due to the fact that it takes time where they could be doing another job that earns them money. Not because of the literal money they're spending on a lawyer but because that is time that can be spent on the next gig. This is what I meant by the 'resources'. When your life is constant hustle, you're gonna concentrate on survival, not trying to 'punish the bad guys'.

This poo poo is like 'why didn't she report the rape' and you should feel lovely trying to blame the victims just bc YOU are lucky enough to be protected.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You have this odd combination of being defeatist while also being being smug about it and throwing insults at anyone who isn't in poverty seemingly for the simple fact that they aren't in poverty.

Are you living a life of paycheck to paycheck poverty or white knighting/roleplaying? I'm trying to understand where your perspective comes from.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's more that I hate when people in comfortable positions assume it works the same for everyone else, because then change can't happen. I have to see the effects of these things on lots of people because I manage lots of folks who have no protections as 'gig workers' and who have to wonder paycheck to paycheck if this is their last due to the industry I work in. I'm actually helping build a union but lol at you calling the hopeful organizer defeatist just for acknowledging the reality of those I organize for.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah if you're in the middle class and higher with a soft hands computer toucher job this is something you can do and you'll likely be successful. If your shirts already have white collars, you're fine.

If you're a retail worker (which a receptionist at a doctor's office is considered) or gig worker this is not the case, both because of how these jobs work and also because time = money in a way where folks living on the edge of poverty can't afford to pursue these things due to the fact that it takes time where they could be doing another job that earns them money. Not because of the literal money they're spending on a lawyer but because that is time that can be spent on the next gig. This is what I meant by the 'resources'. When your life is constant hustle, you're gonna concentrate on survival, not trying to 'punish the bad guys'.

This poo poo is like 'why didn't she report the rape' and you should feel lovely trying to blame the victims just bc YOU are lucky enough to be protected.

This. I'm white collar but the overall situation feels similar. I'm so busy trying to stop everything going to poo poo at work I don't have time to get my own poo poo in order. There's just not enough time in the day to get on top of everything and I can't imagine how hard it would be trying to juggle multiple jobs and kids much less chase after a past shitbag employer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If your "organizing" includes the same unnuanced views you're espousing here I really really think you are doing a disservice to the people you are trying to help. Gig economy workers are not the same thing as a W2 workers. You can't paint them all with the same brush in regards to what legal means they have that may help them out of a bad employment-related situation. Even those with similar income. This is not even up for debate, it's blindingly obvious and well known.

Remember, this all came up because you think that a receptionist, who one would presume is a W2 employee, can't be helped and just has to take what they can get.

Nobody wants to spend the time and emotional labor to deal with this poo poo. It's even harder when you're living paycheck to paycheck. But as someone who claims to be organizing to help people like this it would seem you should think about how to solve that problem is a realistic way rather than throwing your hands up in the air and lashing out at others who point out that these are options that can work. You know, like maybe tracking down some employment attorneys who can do this kind of work. And people to help coordinate it/take the load off of those who need the service.

But I get how it's got to be easier to just say that kind of thing never works and the people who need it can't afford it or take the time to do anything about it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Keep your bloviating on what you think would help people to yourself, I'm listening to the actual people being victimized and working to make systematic change based on their input and needs. You live in a system which works for you and that's nice for you, but it doesn't mean you know how to help those left behind by the system.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Go find out what your rollover provisions are. I had to take almost a month off at the end of last year because I haven’t been vacationing due to covid and it was going to disappear on the roll-over.

On the one hand it sucked having to burn vacation time on playing video games in my living room rather than travel etc but on the other hand playing video games is better than working for free.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The majority of my PTO historically has been taken on playing video games in my living room.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've got 260 hours of PTO about to be paid out when I leave this job :smugdog:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TotalLossBrain posted:

I've got 260 hours of PTO about to be paid out when I leave this job :smugdog:

HR: New PTO policy effective immediately

Dear Staff,

Due to excessive accrual of PTO by some employees.......

IMO Vacation should be paid as a % increase in pay, and just take as much unpaid time off as you want, with a minimum of X days per year. No chance of companies stealing it and you end up with the same amount of cash at the end of the year.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 15, 2022

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
We used to be able to buy extra pay using that kind of system. Up to 20 days, per day costing, then that cost spread out over the whole year as a salary sacrifice pre-tax.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Scientastic posted:

I just don’t get it.

Mine only pays enough attention to make sure you take your use them or lose them floating holidays and make sure you don't cap out.

Of course, he went on paternity leave and I capped myself out. Pandemic, nowhere to go, working from home anyway.

Since then, I make it a goal to never have over 160 vacation hours banked (cap is 200). I get the equivalent of 22 days a year off and a separate sick bank that can accrue forever, but isn't able to be paid out if I leave.

I also get a sabbatical every 5 years, 4 weeks off with pay. Mine starts next week! It'll be spent moving to another city and going pretty much full remote. There is an office 15 minutes from where the new home is, but I doubt they'll pull me in much unless they have to.

blackmet fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 15, 2022

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
sounds like a free laptop to me. what are they really going to do about it? take you to court? if they actually do ask for it tell them to come and collect it or that you already sent it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

My company just got ransomwared and had a massive breach of employee and possibly client information including ssns and possibly bank account numbers.

I know this because I was included on the ransom email from the address they hacked. It has not been announced by the company despite them knowing the server was breached since Thursday. All we've had was an email stating our Dropbox is down. Completely denying the server problems on Thursday are related to the breach.

They also installed anti-ransomware software on my laptop yesterday morning. I was not allowed to work until this was done. They absolutely knew and locked the barn doors after the horses were long gone.

Looks like it's time to polish my resume yet again.